When Brown's Back Who's Gone?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
When Jamon Brown comes back who is going to be cut?I

Tanzel Smart ---- This is my choice.
Isaiah Johnson
Justin Davis
Brandon Allen
Troy Hill
Other

Ants

Starter
Smart seems like a likely candidate...but you also mentioned Hill, which got me thinking.

TexasRam

Legend
i think they carried 7 lineman last year for some games didn’t they?

i could see them moving Brown back to starting guard and Blythe to backup center and guard with Noteboom the backup tackle and 2nd backup guard.

Brian Allen would be odd man out.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When Jamon Brown comes back who is going to be cut?I

Tanzel Smart ---- This is my choice.
Isaiah Johnson
Justin Davis
Brandon Allen
Troy Hill
Other
Sean Mannion, eh RamsFan503? lol

Last edited:

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
Regardless of who it is, it’s nice to have such a talented team depth wise that it is a difficult decision. As opposed to years past when we didn’t even have competent starters

Ram65

Legend
i think they carried 7 lineman last year for some games didn’t they?

i could see them moving Brown back to starting guard and Blythe to backup center and guard with Noteboom the backup tackle and 2nd backup guard.

Brian Allen would be odd man out.

Absolutely no way they cut Allen!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Barring injury, Smart or Allen, but again, have a feeling McVay likes Allen and that's Brandon not Brian.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I actually think that Isaiah Johnson gets cut (again). They like Tanzel Smart.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Thomas to ir makes sense if he's out for multiple weeks.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I don't think they risk losing another drafted Olineman.

Yes, I meant they would release Brandon Allen, but I thought it would be Smart because I think McVay likes Brandon Allen sorry for the confusion.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yes, I meant they would release Brandon Allen, but I thought it would be Smart because I think McVay likes Brandon Allen sorry for the confusion.
Thats been my first thought on this issue too....however if I looked into one of the more heavy elements that would go into this decision of releasing a Rams drafted DT linemen who is only 23 & in his 2nd season when the Rams will have 2 veteran DT's no longer under contract after March of 2019. Starting all pro NT Suh & the the main DL reserve who is Suh's back @ NT Westbrooks. Both will be UFA's.

Two other defensive players who often lineup in the DL in passing situation will be UFA's too , Ex DL'ers veteran Easley & Longacre. These two are important & current 2nd & 3rd ER's. So loosing four veterans in this DL is going to hurt badly. So DT Tanzel Smart being cut & gone puts them in a tight spot to cover these losses.

If you review the signed 2019 safeties unit you will see Johnson III, Marqui Christian & Blake Countess returning. Rams will be without Joyner. 27 yr old Isaiah Johnson was cut from his previously signed contract on 9/6/18, so I have no ideal what his new current contract looks like after being signed back but he was to be a UFA in March too. Snead also has two other safeties signed that may be in the process of being groomed to fill in next season ....in rookies Ramon Richards & Steven Parker. Snead does not have any DL'ers in his PS being groomed.

IMO...The signed DB's for the 2019 season will be in a better position than that defensive front even with Smart in that unit.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/17/nfl-rams-jamon-brown-austin-blythe-trade-suspension/

Should Rams try to trade Jamon Brown with Austin Blythe dominating?
By: Cameron DaSilva

usatsi_9544606.jpg

The Los Angeles Rams were hit with some bad news this offseason when Jamon Brown was suspended two games for violating the league’s substance abuse policy, stemming from a 2017 arrest. It was a disappointing development, especially after seeing the same five offensive linemen dominate for 15 weeks last season.

However, the Rams were prepared for Brown’s suspension and had Austin Blythe waiting in the wings. He was the odds-on favorite to replace Brown for the first two games of the season, and he did exactly that.

Blythe was PFF’s highest-graded right guard in the NFL last week against the Raiders, earning a place on the Team of the Week for Pro Football Focus. On Sunday, he was equally good, clearing running lanes for Todd Gurley and Malcolm Brown, while also providing excellent protection for Jared Goff.

He’s been better the past two weeks than Brown was at any point last season, which begs the question: What should the Rams do now? Brown’s suspension is officially over and he can return to the team as of Monday. That’s good news, but it also puts the Rams in a tough spot.

Similarly to the way the Bucs have to decide between a hot Ryan Fitzpatrick and Jameis Winston when he returns in Week 4, Sean McVay has to either pull Blythe or keep Brown benched.

usatsi_10451756.jpg

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

There is another option, though. The Rams could attempt to trade Brown to a team seeking a short-term rental at guard with the potential for a long-term connection. And no, that isn’t the slogan for a bizarre offensive line dating site.

Brown is in the final year of his contract and the Rams are likely to focus their resources elsewhere this coming offseason. Brown won’t command top dollar by any means, but with Marcus Peters needing a new deal soon, Rodger Saffold and Lamarcus Joyner hitting free agency and Ndamukong Suh’s contract expiring, it’s easy to see why the Rams might not pay up to keep Brown.

That in its own right makes this trade very attractive from their perspective, especially with Blythe dominating thus far and Joseph Noteboom also on the roster. The Rams have enough flexibility on the offensive line to get by without Brown on the roster, just as they have the past two weeks.

Even if the Rams are able to recoup a sixth-round pick, it might be worth considering trading Brown. That’s likely more than they’d receive in compensatory picks if Brown were to leave next offseason, so why not bring in some assets for the 2019 draft?

He carries a cap hit of $1.87 million in 2018, so he’s not exactly a bargain when compared to Blythe’s $630,000, but that contract could preclude some teams from making a deal. Keeping him on the roster and paying him that amount of money to be a backup isn’t ideal for Los Angeles, but it could be the very reality it faces.

In the end, it’s going to be difficult to move Brown, who’s merely an average guard. However, a team desperate for help at guard like the Texans or Bills could make a call and gauge the Rams’ interest in moving the lineman.

If no move is made, the Rams will need to waive someone to make room for Brown, or place a player like Mike Thomas on injured reserve.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Trade him for a low draft pick? Umm, no. Better to have the depth in case of injury, and still get a draft pick for him, even if slightly lower. Now, if there were a player that the Rams wanted coming back, that could change the balance.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/17/nfl-rams-jamon-brown-austin-blythe-trade-suspension/

Should Rams try to trade Jamon Brown with Austin Blythe dominating?
By: Cameron DaSilva

usatsi_9544606.jpg

The Los Angeles Rams were hit with some bad news this offseason when Jamon Brown was suspended two games for violating the league’s substance abuse policy, stemming from a 2017 arrest. It was a disappointing development, especially after seeing the same five offensive linemen dominate for 15 weeks last season.

However, the Rams were prepared for Brown’s suspension and had Austin Blythe waiting in the wings. He was the odds-on favorite to replace Brown for the first two games of the season, and he did exactly that.

Blythe was PFF’s highest-graded right guard in the NFL last week against the Raiders, earning a place on the Team of the Week for Pro Football Focus. On Sunday, he was equally good, clearing running lanes for Todd Gurley and Malcolm Brown, while also providing excellent protection for Jared Goff.

He’s been better the past two weeks than Brown was at any point last season, which begs the question: What should the Rams do now? Brown’s suspension is officially over and he can return to the team as of Monday. That’s good news, but it also puts the Rams in a tough spot.

Similarly to the way the Bucs have to decide between a hot Ryan Fitzpatrick and Jameis Winston when he returns in Week 4, Sean McVay has to either pull Blythe or keep Brown benched.

usatsi_10451756.jpg

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

There is another option, though. The Rams could attempt to trade Brown to a team seeking a short-term rental at guard with the potential for a long-term connection. And no, that isn’t the slogan for a bizarre offensive line dating site.

Brown is in the final year of his contract and the Rams are likely to focus their resources elsewhere this coming offseason. Brown won’t command top dollar by any means, but with Marcus Peters needing a new deal soon, Rodger Saffold and Lamarcus Joyner hitting free agency and Ndamukong Suh’s contract expiring, it’s easy to see why the Rams might not pay up to keep Brown.

That in its own right makes this trade very attractive from their perspective, especially with Blythe dominating thus far and Joseph Noteboom also on the roster. The Rams have enough flexibility on the offensive line to get by without Brown on the roster, just as they have the past two weeks.

Even if the Rams are able to recoup a sixth-round pick, it might be worth considering trading Brown. That’s likely more than they’d receive in compensatory picks if Brown were to leave next offseason, so why not bring in some assets for the 2019 draft?

He carries a cap hit of $1.87 million in 2018, so he’s not exactly a bargain when compared to Blythe’s $630,000, but that contract could preclude some teams from making a deal. Keeping him on the roster and paying him that amount of money to be a backup isn’t ideal for Los Angeles, but it could be the very reality it faces.

In the end, it’s going to be difficult to move Brown, who’s merely an average guard. However, a team desperate for help at guard like the Texans or Bills could make a call and gauge the Rams’ interest in moving the lineman.

If no move is made, the Rams will need to waive someone to make room for Brown, or place a player like Mike Thomas on injured reserve.

I don't think they will. They will probably put Brown back in over Blythe mostly due to the fact that Blythe is also our backup center. If something were to happen to Sullivan and Blythe had to step in it's less moving parts on the Oline. If something were to happen to Blythe then we have no backup center with experience. I don't think McVay would be too stoked on that. I think Blythe is our future at Center/Guard he's proven to be very good at both positions.