When all is said and done who will be the Rams #1 pick?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
This seems a bit immature to me. A lot of good OGs come from the second round and after. This team still needs a playmaking WR who can consistently get over 1000 yards, need you be reminded...and of course there is a good chance we sign a OG in FA.

And you could say the same thing about those who clamor for a Wr, QB or whoever is the latest hot commodity in the fantasy world in every draft. If you take "BPA" in every draft and every round you very well could end up with only enough players to be decent on one side of the ball. Especially if you relegate some positions to the late rounds and FA pickups. That is how we wound up with a sub standard Oline and record.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Draft the player not the position.
So I got a defensive feeling.
I think that is also going to depend on how deep they see this deep O-line class. Still I think it comes back to a combo of BPA+need

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They way I see it, when you have a glaring need to fill sitting at pick 10, you better fill it, history to me has indicated BPA is extremely flawed.

I think it's worth asking...might the Cowboys have chosen Frederick because they saw him as their BPA or BVA?

There isn't an universal list for who is and isn't BPA/BVA. That'll come down to the individual teams and evaluators.

For example, I saw Teddy Bridgewater as the BVA last year at any spot in the draft for a team that needed a QB. NFL evaluators clearly did not agree.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I think it's worth asking...might the Cowboys have chosen Frederick because they saw him as their BPA or BVA?

There isn't an universal list for who is and isn't BPA/BVA. That'll come down to the individual teams and evaluators.

For example, I saw Teddy Bridgewater as the BVA last year at any spot in the draft for a team that needed a QB. NFL evaluators clearly did not agree.
I agree.
A GM also has to consider the value of filling that need in a later round so he can use the earlier pick for a higher rated player at another position.

Example, a GM could take a T to move inside to G at say #10, but he looks over his board and thinks there will be for sure a couple stud G's available in the 2nd. He may accept the increased value of taking a better player than the T at #10 knowing he can still fill his need in the next round with a greater level of overall team talent.

FrankenRam

Starter
I agree.
A GM also has to consider the value of filling that need in a later round so he can use the earlier pick for a higher rated player at another position.

Example, a GM could take a T to move inside to G at say #10, but he looks over his board and thinks there will be for sure a couple stud G's available in the 2nd. He may accept the increased value of taking a better player than the T at #10 knowing he can still fill his need in the next round with a greater level of overall team talent.

Your last paragraph makes a lot of sense to me. Now that you make me think about it, I wouldn't be surprised if teams break things down by how many 'draftable' players there are at each position, and how many are Rd1-3 draftable at each position, how many are 4-5 rd suspects, etc. Or something along that line. And occasionally, that might influence picks.

For sake of discussion (and exaggerating a point to make one), suppose the upcoming draft is loaded with WR's that could be Rd 1-2 picks, but the talent level falls off the cliff after that. And maybe CB's are lacking in top of the draft Rd 1 suspects, but there's a boatload of 'em that would rate as Rd 2-3 picks. I could see a scenario of that sort influencing a team's decisions.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If DeVante Parker has fully healed his broken foot and can show his explosive pre injury speed (sub. 4.4)
I think he could climb into the top 10.

I think Amari Cooper and Kevin White both look like great prospects and worthy of our first pick.... but if Parker is fully healed and delivers at the combine? I would have a hard time passing on him.

And I really don't think WR should be a target in the first... but this guy reminds me of an AJ Green/Odell Beckham hybrid. Seriously, watch his body control, watch his hands....

The more I see of this guy, the more I think he is the gem of an already rich WR class.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I know I'm probably crazy but I'm feeling Ereck Flowers to the Rams in the first round.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg

I don't think there is any question they did, of course that didn't stop Kiper and his 'rettes questioning the pick, what a shocker.

History (to date) gives the Cowboys the thumbs up on that one.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I just believe there are so many different elements that goes into a selection & utilization of this first round top 10 picks. Rams has only so many bona fide ways to improve the weakest units of your team. That is what members of this forum wants right? I am sure you don't just want to win the BPA Draft awards by bloggers & sports writers?

Rams over the last 3 NFL drafts have not drafted heavy in days one & two on OL'ers. Rams have gone the free agency route since Fishers arrival to improve the Ram OL.....that has been & now in "FAIL" mode.

Another way is to groom over time young third day draft picks or UDFA's or WWC's to build up your weak unit....Rams weakest unit the OL over the last three seasons under Fisher does not have a good track record in this area either. Would I be wrong to claim that using the above method is very close to "NON-EFFECTIVE" mode in this attempt to build up this Ram OL?

Last year the Rams went into the 2014 draft with 12 selections. This year in 2015 Fisher have only Five. Rams were in a position to use a 1st rd pick on a Donald with 12 picks in 2014. Rams are not in that same position in 2015.

Looks to me we may want to get to work early on our most concerning areas with only so few bullets here to shoot in this hunting event. Your not going to have too many opportunities to come home with the needed materials to survive the upcoming season. Rams team have plenty of Receivers supplies for this upcoming season.

I can see the possibility that a WR Cooper will be available @ #10 along with Scherff, Collins & Peat. My big hope @ that time Snead can get a very good trade offer where I could have more bullets in round 2 & 3 along with a very late first rd pick in order to seriously upgrade the talent level in our 2015 OL talent supplies.

Athos

Legend
I know I'm probably crazy but I'm feeling Ereck Flowers to the Rams in the first round.

Yesh no. Don't see him anywhere in the top 15 or 20. We'd have to trade way down, imo, for me to support drafting Flowers.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Could be but to me he looks very similar to Joe Barksdale in skills & talents. Flowers has very similar weaknesses to Barksdale too. However I feel he would still be a good upgrade over Barksdale. Flowers IMO will not be selected in the top 25. Flowers looks like a right OT for those Divisional Championship teams.

Rams needs to find a ORT that can contain those 34 OSLB pass rushers. Flowers would not be the answer.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Flowers brings it in the run game - I see him as a top 20 player myself - can't wait to see these lineman next to each other at the combine.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Flowers brings it in the run game - I see him as a top 20 player myself - can't wait to see these lineman next to each other at the combine.

Is OT Ereck Flowers 6-5 325 the next DJ Fluker 6-5 335? The Chargers after two seasons @ ORT have plans to move Fluker inside due to pass protection issues with smaller quicker pass rushers. Chargers has sights on drafting a new OT in the first round of this 2015 draft.

Your right though, Ereck Flowers would make one very large massive run blocking ORG/OLG IMO.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I think Flowers can play tackle and play it well. Much better feet than Fluker from my untrained eyes - but yeah - with that powerful punch.