whats up with Tavon

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
What you have seen so far in the preseason games, is comparable to what they have dome much of the time in training camp. They are focusing on getting Britt and Quick involved and pushing to ball down field. They took a shot with Austin down the sideline last night, and will find mismatched for him when they can. He will get his chances in the return game, and will use him more out of the back field.

A55VA6

Legend
Their not getting him involved at all. i think once teams start keying on Quick and Britt its going to open up things for him i hope
It's called preseason bro... Look around the league, a lot of big names have been extremely quiet.

Memphis Ram

Legend
What you have seen so far in the preseason games, is comparable to what they have dome much of the time in training camp. They are focusing on getting Britt and Quick involved and pushing to ball down field. They took a shot with Austin down the sideline last night, and will find mismatched for him when they can. He will get his chances in the return game, and will use him more out of the back field.

Now that would be huge. Especially, if teams got caught trying to cover him with a LB like they did when he was at West Virginia. BTW, how has Mason looked catching passes out of the backfield?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Now that would be huge. Especially, if teams got caught trying to cover him with a LB like they did when he was at West Virginia. BTW, how has Mason looked catching passes out of the backfield?
Mason has shown some ability. He tends to fight the ball more than some of the other backs, but he does alright overall. His biggest issue will continue to be his pass blocking, which could preclude him from being on the field in those passing situations. There are just too many plays where the RB has to "check first" then release, and teams will take advantage of him and make sure to bring the extra guy if he is in the game.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Tavon is a mismatch nightmare. If our other flyboys are elevating their games, TA can be the final straw that breaks the opposing D's backs. As CoachO indicates, who is gonna pick up Tavon when our other receivers are playing close to MaxQ? If Britt and Quick are outmuscling multiple defenders for balls, if Cookie is driving LB's and safeties crazy with his speed, how are DC's gonna game plan to stop our electric jitterbug who can free himself up with a single high speed cut?

Exactly

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm hoping they know what they have in him and just aren't calling his number. Why risk him or tip their hand is what I'm telling myself.
Really. People need to figure out what the "inappropriate" button is for. For the life of me I can't figure out what could POSSIBLY be inappropriate about this post. RamzFanz himself is certainly inappropriate but this post?

Memphis Ram

Legend
Mason has shown some ability. He tends to fight the ball more than some of the other backs, but he does alright overall. His biggest issue will continue to be his pass blocking, which could preclude him from being on the field in those passing situations. There are just too many plays where the RB has to "check first" then release, and teams will take advantage of him and make sure to bring the extra guy if he is in the game.

Thanks. I was hoping that he'd be pretty good at it as any receiving threat out of the backfield would be huge.

When I get a chance, I'm going to go on NFL Rewind and see how often Darren Sproles or Danny Woodhead pass block. I'm sure they've done it, I just don't recall noticing it.

tonyl711

Starter
I think this TC and Preseason has been more about getting Quick and Britt running on all cylinders, the ball will come TAs way plenty this season IMO, if they establish a deep game with BQ and KB the underneath stuff with TA will be there for the taking.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
His value isn't limited to the number of "touches" he gets from the LOS.
Which is why I didn't say that they are.
Points that are valid don't mute. People can determine what is valid and what is not through their own views.
I assure you the organization hoped for and still does hope that they could get more performance beyond ST. As I said I am a fan and believer in TA's future contributions to the team. I was pointing out the optimism that CGI alluded to is similar to the chatter we had last year about TA.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Tavon is a mismatch nightmare. If our other flyboys are elevating their games, TA can be the final straw that breaks the opposing D's backs. As CoachO indicates, who is gonna pick up Tavon when our other receivers are playing close to MaxQ? If Britt and Quick are outmuscling multiple defenders for balls, if Cookie is driving LB's and safeties crazy with his speed, how are DC's gonna game plan to stop our electric jitterbug who can free himself up with a single high speed cut?

TA is what could take this passing attack over the top and, dare I say, into the top ten.

Your point is well made. If you cover Quick, there is Britt. If you cover both, there is TA, Bailey, Cook, and Kendricks. That's deadly. When your checkdowns have that kind of explosiveness and/or reliability... Wow.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Which is why I didn't say that they are.
Points that are valid don't mute. People can determine what is valid and what is not through their own views.
I assure you the organization hoped for and still does hope that they could get more performance beyond ST. As I said I am a fan and believer in TA's future contributions to the team. I was pointing out the optimism that CGI alluded to is similar to the chatter we had last year about TA.
That's fine, and if you like getting all caught up in hindsight, more power to you. I have never been one to get concerned about where they draft guys. I prefer to pay attention to what they do once they get here.

I won't pretend to try to assess what they "Coulda or shoulda" have done, because IMO, its a fruitless exercise. Teams get players they want when they think they have to get them. Everybody guesses wrong sometimes, but more often than not, when you look at the draft as an entire entity, rather than individual picks, you can get a better and more accurate feel for what the plan was all along.

RamWoodie

Legend
My thing on Givens Coach O...is not that he's arrived last night...but as I watched him he's back on board, and engaged.

I don't know if the guy thought he was a "shoo in"...but he played much better.

Ramathon

Say what you want about Holt and his broadcast abilities. That is a very poignant comment about WHY Givens has been buried on the depth chart. I loved that he made a "big play". But let's please not try to make it out to be more than it was. He caught a 5 yard crossing pattern against straight man to man coverage. And there was no one anywhere around him when he turned it up field. Yes, he still had enough speed to out run guys he had a 10 yard head start on, but if that is Austin, he scores untouched.

Agreed...esp re: Holt's commentary. He & Faulk both sound like rookie broadcasters, but isn't that basically what they are.(?) Polish will come with time. As far as I'm concerned, they both made poignant comments last night. I'll gladly take a little verbal stumbling for a while to have that worthwhile commentary. Now, if they're both still stumbling around a couple yr from now, it might get old, but for now, no problem at all.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
That's fine, and if you like getting all caught up in hindsight, more power to you. I have never been one to get concerned about where they draft guys. I prefer to pay attention to what they do once they get here.

I won't pretend to try to assess what they "Coulda or shoulda" have done, because IMO, its a fruitless exercise. Teams get players they want when they think they have to get them. Everybody guesses wrong sometimes, but more often than not, when you look at the draft as an entire entity, rather than individual picks, you can get a better and more accurate feel for what the plan was all along.
I was making my comments in the spirit of the thread "whats up with Tavon" and it reminded me of this very chatter about this time last year. I believe that if we had this talk in person we would mostly agree. I appreciate the way you advocate for both the players and organization. I would just like to see us use the gifts and talent that TA brings to the table in an expanded capacity and have hope that we will see just that this season

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Faulk and Holt are color guys, not play-by-play. That said, they aren't always the homer some love. They weren't afraid to call out Givens or any of the RB or receivers. Think they know what it takes to win? Yep!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I was making my comments in the spirit of the thread "whats up with Tavon" and it reminded me of this very chatter about this time last year. I believe that if we had this talk in person we would mostly agree. I appreciate the way you advocate for both the players and organization. I would just like to see us use the gifts and talent that TA brings to the table in an expanded capacity and have hope that we will see just that this season
I get that, but what I have a difficult time with, (and not saying you are suggesting this) is how so many seem to think that Austin needs to be featured, and schemed, at the expense of the rest of the offense. And those same people, generally are the same ones who complain the loudest that guys like Quick never seem to progress.

Last time I checked, there is only one ball, and people seem to think that every player on the roster needs to post stellar FF stats or they somehow are underachieving. This offense will never garner multiple guys with 70+ catches, and 700+ yards. I would much rather they develop all of the younger guys, and let the "go to guy" be whoever it happens to be week to week.