whats up with Tavon

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
Their not getting him involved at all. i think once teams start keying on Quick and Britt its going to open up things for him i hope

RamzFanz

Damnit
Their not getting him involved at all. i think once teams start keying on Quick and Britt its going to open up things for him i hope

I'm hoping they know what they have in him and just aren't calling his number. Why risk him or tip their hand is what I'm telling myself.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I believe they have a strategy with Tavon, and they're keeping the miles off him right now.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
What you have seen so far in the preseason games, is comparable to what they have dome much of the time in training camp. They are focusing on getting Britt and Quick involved and pushing to ball down field. They took a shot with Austin down the sideline last night, and will find mismatches for him when they can. He will get his chances in the return game, and will use him more out of the back field. But I don't see them going out of their way, like they did early last year, to try to get him the ball. At the expense of the rest of the offense.

As teams are forced to pay more attention to Britt and Quick, things will open up for Austin underneath. Expect to see him in motion more, party as a decoy, and on occasion to get the ball on the jet sweeps.

Last edited:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
It's all good! I LOVED that set of Quick-Britt as the WO's, Austin in the slot, and Cook lined up on the opposite side of the line.

Bradford wanted to throw some bombs to Quick and Britt, he did that. Britt has been envolved less than Tavon this Preseason, I'm not worried. (Bradford not being affected by the knee is what worries me.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
What you have seen so far in the preseason games, is comparable to what they have dome much of the time in training camp. They are focusing on getting Britt and Quick involved and pushing to ball down field. They took a shot with Austin down the sideline last night, and will find mismatched for him when they can. He will get his chances in the return game, and will use him more out of the back field. But I don't see them going out of their way, like they did early last year, to try to get him the ball. At the expense of the rest of the offense.

It's been a while since we've had legit threats on the outside. Ammendola would be in the same boat as Tavon.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I believe they have a strategy with Tavon, and they're keeping the miles off him right now.
We all said this last year too. I hope you are right we have too many holes to have given up picks and moved up to 8 for a novelty item.
Don't get me wrong I am a big fan of TA but with the holes we have at LB DB and to some extent OL we could have used a starter and depth.
I sure hope we get him more touches and yes I am talking pre injury.

WarRam

UDFA
I think right now most teams are focusing on our running game because that became our identity last year. Keep tavon quiet in the preseason. Apparently Quick has stepped up and looks to start otherwise someone else would be opposite brit getting those reps. The more of a secret tavon is the better. Those 2 big guys outside will open up the running game, then the play action will be killer for Bradford.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
We all said this last year too. I hope you are right we have too many holes to have given up picks and moved up to 8 for a novelty item.
Don't get me wrong I am a big fan of TA but with the holes we have at LB DB and to some extent OL we could have used a starter and depth.
I sure hope we get him more touches and yes I am talking pre injury.
At what point does his draft position become a moot point and we focus on what he brings to this team? If they hadn't moved up to get AUSTIN, then you could add "playmaker" to the list of holes. His value isn't limited to the number of "touches" he gets from the LOS.

iced

Bradford attempted deep to him on the first drive....they initially called PI but then picked it up, was incomplete

RamWoodie

Legend
What's great in all this was the throw Givens scored on could have just as well been TA! The Rams know what they have in TA.

Bailey is going to miss 4 games...and they need to figure where Givens is. I don't understand how Givens dropped on the depth chart except to think in the off season, he didn't put in much work. Last night, he looked very good...like the Givens we know.

TA is fine.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Bradford attempted deep to him on the first drive....they initially called PI but then picked it up, was incomplete

TA was open many times. That's the great part of the potential this season, SB didn't have to check down or make him the primary. Every time I saw TA open, SB went long. When shit gets real, TA will be getting the ball more. Dude will destroy teams when given the opportunity. They won't ignore that.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'm OK with 5 touches - especially if he is affecting the way the defense is playing us.

jap

Legend
Tavon is a mismatch nightmare. If our other flyboys are elevating their games, TA can be the final straw that breaks the opposing D's backs. As CoachO indicates, who is gonna pick up Tavon when our other receivers are playing close to MaxQ? If Britt and Quick are outmuscling multiple defenders for balls, if Cookie is driving LB's and safeties crazy with his speed, how are DC's gonna game plan to stop our electric jitterbug who can free himself up with a single high speed cut?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
What's great in all this was the throw Givens scored on could have just as well been TA! The Rams know what they have in TA.

Bailey is going to miss 4 games...and they need to figure where Givens is. I don't understand how Givens dropped on the depth chart except to think in the off season, he didn't put in much work. Last night, he looked very good...like the Givens we know.

TA is fine.
The most telling commentary of the night for me, was what Torry Holt said on the local broadcast on the sight adjustment that Givens failed to make, and the ball hit him without even knowing it was thrown to him. At the 11:05 mark of the 2nd quarter...... "Get on the same page, Chris Givens. WAKE UP! That's what Coach Fisher has said about Chris Givens this whole entire camp. He wants Chris Givens to wake up! And make some noise! And go out and do something to claim why you should be on this roster in 2014!"

Say what you want about Holt and his broadcast abilities. That is a very poignant comment about WHY Givens has been buried on the depth chart. I loved that he made a "big play". But let's please not try to make it out to be more than it was. He caught a 5 yard crossing pattern against straight man to man coverage. And there was no one anywhere around him when he turned it up field. Yes, he still had enough speed to out run guys he had a 10 yard head start on, but if that is Austin, he scores untouched.

RamzFanz

Damnit
The most telling commentary of the night for me, was what Torry Holt said on the local broadcast on the sight adjustment that Givens failed to make, and the ball hit him without even knowing it was thrown to him. At the 11:05 mark of the 2nd quarter...... "Get on the same page, Chris Givens. WAKE UP! That's what Coach Fisher has said about Chris Givens this whole entire camp. He wants Chris Givens to wake up! And make some noise! And go out and do something to claim why you should be on this roster in 2014!"

Say what you want about Holt and his broadcast abilities. That is a very poignant comment about WHY Givens has been buried on the depth chart. I loved that he made a "big play". But let's please not try to make it out to be more than it was. He caught a 5 yard crossing pattern against straight man to man coverage. And there was no one anywhere around him when he turned it up field. Yes, he still had enough speed to out run guys he had a 10 yard head start on, but if that is Austin, he scores untouched.

When the cover guys caught up with him I was wondering how that was supposed to be blazing speed. It was the only impressive play from Givens in a night of mistakes and it wasn't very impressive.

My bet at this point is Bailey bumps Givens. TA, Bailey, Britt, Cook and Quick have earned their spots. Pettis is more reliable than Givens.

He will have his shots in the regular season to change their minds.