What's the Browns game plan for the Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Click link below to watch videos. Keep in mind this was written by a Browns fan.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2581766-browns-vs-rams-whats-the-game-plan-for-cleveland

Browns vs. Rams: What's the Game Plan for Cleveland?
By Mike Hoag, Featured Columnist, Oct 24, 2015

hi-res-da89a64cb4937d221b53a648fb988d8b_crop_north.jpg

Neither the Cleveland Browns nor St. Louis Rams do anything particularly well, but each has shown glimpses in 2015 of what competitive football teams look like.

The Browns, a defensive-minded team with an aggressive Rex Ryan-inspired defense, have played lights out at times offensively while allowing the most yards per game on the ground in the league.

St. Louis hasn’t done much of anything well, consistently at least, except run the ball. Todd Gurley getting on the field has helped fuel both the Rams' effectiveness and ambition to run the ball down opposing defenses’ throats.

Cleveland’s 150 yards allowed per game is probably looking appetizing for Gurley and the Rams, who are coming off their bye week and playing without starting guard Rodger Saffold for the rest of the season.

What we have here, despite Cleveland’s defensive deficiency, appears to be an evenly matched contest between two teams in similar places.

The Rams (2-3) and Browns (2-4) both badly need wins with Seattle and Arizona both looking like potential playoff teams and Cleveland trailing Cincinnati by four games—already, ugh—in its own division race.

Maybe if we get into a little more detail we can determine if anything separates these two sub-.500 teams.

Offensive Game Plan

The Browns thought they caught a reprieve with DeMarcus Ware missing last week’s matchup, but they didn’t as second-year pass-rusher Shaq Barrett helped Von Miller and the Denver Broncos terrorize Josh McCown. This week for the Rams, Chris Long didn’t practice and was ruled out, along with linebacker Alec Ogletree.

Make no mistake: The Rams can still control the line of scrimmage without Long and Ogletree. Robert Quinn and Aaron Donald are game-changers whom the Browns must account for on each and every play. Offensive coaches and McCown need to minimize his exposure to Quinn off the edge and Donald on the interior. If McCown misreads or fails to identify a pre-snap read with Quinn in a mismatch against a running back or tight end, it could get ugly for the veteran quarterback.

Like the Broncos, although in a 4-3 front, the Rams will rely mostly on their front four for pressure and won’t typically send blitzes unless in longer down-and-distance situations. At least, that’s what they did predominately against Green Bay.

Designing plays to get the ball out of McCown’s hands quickly will again be the biggest help to slowing down another effective defensive front. But ball security and pocket awareness by McCown will be big for the quarterback as well. If he senses pressure, moving up into the pocket may not be an option, as Donald, Michael Brockers and Nick Fairley have all done good jobs of collapsing the interior of the pocket this season. Countering with delayed runs may help find open spaces in that front as they get deeper into the backfield.

Defensive Game Plan

The Rams shouldn't scare the Browns offensively, despite their on-paper matchup advantage with their rushing game. Gurley is an intimidating and still unknown factor, but the Browns still need to focus on Nick Foles and his underwhelming but competent array of passing options.

St. Louis will use receiver Tavon Austin in a lot of different ways. One of them is as a tailback in motion in front of Foles or behind him in the backfield. Here’s a jet sweep that resulted in a score for the Rams in Week 5 against Green Bay:

802ab1371a678845c5b4b531b8bcbf5f_crop_exact.jpg

Source: NFL Gamepass

Nick Foles gets the snap then immediately tosses it to Tavon Austin in front of him.

Keeping outside contain is a problem for the Browns, so they’ll need to focus on not getting sucked inside on counters or jet sweeps to prevent Austin from hurting them on the edges.

Gurley will get his yards—the guy is averaging 5.7 yards per carry and is making it look easy. Attribute that to the team’s willingness to commit to the run but also recognize his ability to find open running lanes and refuse to go down on first contact.

There isn’t any trick to how the Rams will line up to attack the Browns defense. They use a lot of traps and lead blocks to help Gurley get to the next level, and they’re not going to change their power-style running game against a team that hasn’t shown it can stop that type of play.

Key Matchups

Joe Thomas vs. Robert Quinn may be not only one of the best matchups in this game but one of the best league-wide in Week 7. Quinn has four sacks in five games and has already forced three fumbles. Thomas is a pro’s pro and has been solid as ever for the Browns.

Will Quinn be as disruptive as he’s capable of? It’s hard to say, but there’s a chance he makes an imprint on the game at least once or twice, even with Thomas standing in his way.

The Rams’ fastest defensive back Janoris Jenkins will probably draw the task of corralling Travis Benjamin. Benjamin, if you have watched the Browns lately, has turned into a target monster—he's averaging 11 targets and 6.25 catches per game over the last four weeks—and isn’t looking too shabby with his increased involvement on offense.

But he hasn’t captured the magic he conjured with Johnny Manziel behind center. His longest reception has been 47 yards, and his lone touchdown came in Week 3 after having three touchdowns of 50 yards or more with Manziel in Weeks 1 and 2.

Donte Whitner or Jordan Poyer will likely have the assignment of locking down the athletic but underperforming Rams tight end Jared Cook. If you’ve heard fantasy football pundits talking about Cook having a breakout year this season, you know who he is.

Cook is the consummate underperformer, and it doesn’t really make sense as to why. At 6’5”, and with this 4.5 second 40-yard dash and 41-inch vertical, it’s hard to see how he hasn’t become a more dominant tight end. Cook has just 15 receptions for 169 yards in five games but could improve that with Whitner and Poyer struggling lately in coverage.

Jeff Risdon @JeffRisdon
Greg Robinson already on the hook for two QB hits and he whiffed on the down block on the TFL on run

Paul Kruger lining up against Greg Robinson might be another good matchup to watch. The Browns have been rotating personnel in and out of that right outside linebacker spot, but Kruger is a good bet to get the majority of the snaps there again this week.

Now that the team is focused on using him in a more pass-rusher-centric role, we’ll see if he can make an impact by disrupting Foles. Kruger has just one half-sack in 2015 after totaling a career-high 11 last season. Robinson hasn’t really settled into the left tackle position—and may not be cut out for it—so if Kruger is going to make an impact in a game this season, there’s a good chance he erupts this week.

Prediction

As mentioned, this is a good matchup with a lot of similarities between the two teams. Their biggest strengths, though, appear to be their opposing lines. Cleveland’s best unit, the offensive line—at least in pass blocking—will go up against St. Louis' well-renowned defensive line. It’s going to be good football, that’s for sure.

But the biggest unknown is how the Rams’ mediocre offensive line will handle Cleveland’s pass rush, which hasn’t been effective outside of a seven-sack outburst against the Tennessee Titans in Week 2. Some of that depends on how quickly Foles can get rid of the ball and how tight Browns corners Pierre Desir and TramonWilliams can keep their coverage off the snap. Joe Haden is out again this week.

Kenny Britt and Brian Quick aren’t going to torch the Browns or anyone for that matter. But keeping track of Austin and Stedman Bailey underneath, along with any running backs out of the backfield, will be a tall task for a Browns defense that has been killed by short passes being turned into big chunk plays.

Given Foles’ propensity to panic and turn the ball over this season, the amount of scrutiny on the Browns' inability to stop the run and their desperation to salvage their season, it’s logical they come out improved this week to slow down Gurley and the Rams. McCown and the offense should be able to move the ball enough to win a low-scoring affair, but it could go either way. Don’t expect a lot of points and don’t take that prediction to the bank.

Final Prediction: Browns 16, Rams 14

Unless otherwise noted, all stats are courtesy of Pro-Football-Reference.com.

MikeHoag(@MikeHoagJr) covers the Cleveland Browns for Bleacher Report and is the managing editor of Browns Beat.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
If we only score 14 points against this D I'll puke and I think most of us will probably be going nuts in the vent thread :0

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Browns gameplan will be to stuff Gurley and get Foles into 3rd and long. I guarantee they are terrified of Gurley. Austin, thus, should have a big game.

Offensively I see them running the standard short passing attack the Rams are used to. If they are smart they will screen a lot too particularly on 3rd and long.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The best OLT vs DRE to watch will not be JT vs RQ. If your a Browns fan is PK vs GR. :(

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Yeah that Kruger v Robinson matchup is one I'll be watching closely. Its a really good test for Big Grob.

Really what I want to see is Foles just play smart football. Manage the game well, have a good completion percentage, no ints and take a couple of shots downfield. If he does that we win because it means we've established the run and Gurley is our offensive weapon extraordinaire and we're not putting the game on Nick's shoulders because the offensive line hasn't protected him well enough so far for us to win that way.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If we only score 14 points against this D I'll puke and I think most of us will probably be going nuts in the vent thread :0
The Rams should have that 14 points before the end of the 1st quarter!!:D

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Prediction? The Browns get run right the fuck over by the Gurley Express.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
St. Louis hasn’t done much of anything well
bird.gif

These "writers" know nothing. I guarantee that this clown hasn't watched one full Rams game.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If i'm gameplanning i load the box in zone and cover the edges within 10 yards and ignore our WR's using man to man.
Focus solely on Foles/Gurley/Tavon at the LOS.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that this douche watched the Rams once this season and that was the GB game.

We need to crush the skid marks with a heavy dose of Gurley and Donald.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
This writer is a Browns writer. I don't imagine he knows much about any team but the Browns. He mentions JJ on one side, but Tru on the other side has been more of a playmaker this season. And don't forget Barron in run support and Blitz packages. And one guy who hasn't been mentioned much is having a pretty good season so far. Lamarcus Joyner. I wasn't too keen on him in the preseason but he's played well lately. And don't forget the hard hitters McDonald and McCleod. Those guys set the tone.

Offensively, well, I can say Gurley and Austin. But not much else.

…..

Legend
Would be nice to have an electrifying offensive output for this Dome game. We're due for things to click for once, the bye week and any extra work on timing and rhythm should come out this week

I really don't like being ranked 31st in total offense. We need to make a jump in those ranking and increase our PPG

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My God what an idiot..Foles has "a propensity to panic"..wtf? Dude was hit around HALF of the times he went back to pass...Sam Bradford would not have survived the Green Bay Game like Foles.did..Yea, 4 of his 5 INTS were in this game..It was a bad ganme for the Oline and Foles, but he had been pretty efficient before the Green Bay game........What a dyck!

RamzFanz

Damnit
Kenny Britt and Brian Quick aren’t going to torch the Browns or anyone for that matter.

Ahhh yes, the Foles / Quick / Britt emergence is completely under the radar. Love it.

He will eat his words this game if Foles has any protection and Quick is ready to catch balls. Britt had one bad game. He's also been clutch in several. The lack of production is all on the o-line. Foles is not scared to throw the long ball.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'm not scared of the Browns offense at all. Aaron Rodgers and Lacy produced 17 offensive points on this defense. Big Ben and Bell produced 12. Wilson and Lunch produced 18.

Our secondary and pass rush are going to eat McCown up. Browns' run game is unimpressive.

16 - 14? :thinking:

Rainram

Starter
So I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that this douche watched the Rams once this season and that was the GB game.

We need to crush the skid marks with a heavy dose of Gurley and Donald.

This writer is a Browns writer. I don't imagine he knows much about any team but the Browns. He mentions JJ on one side, but Tru on the other side has been more of a playmaker this season. And don't forget Barron in run support and Blitz packages. And one guy who hasn't been mentioned much is having a pretty good season so far. Lamarcus Joyner. I wasn't too keen on him in the preseason but he's played well lately. And don't forget the hard hitters McDonald and McCleod. Those guys set the tone.

Offensively, well, I can say Gurley and Austin. But not much else.

Yea. Mike Hoag clearly knows next to nothing about our team.

Ahhh yes, the Foles / Quick / Britt emergence is completely under the radar. Love it.

He will eat his words this game if Foles has any protection and Quick is ready to catch balls. Britt had one bad game. He's also been clutch in several. The lack of production is all on the o-line. Foles is not scared to throw the long ball.

I happen to think, while we should definitely run Gurley down their throats repeatedly. And when we're done with that, run Cunningham and Watts down their throats.

Having said that, this game is ripe for the lightning rod that is Jared Cook. I mean, he can't suck forever, right? He can really go off in this game. And, like RamzFanz noted, Quick is definitely more of a threat than this writer thinks he is. Barring turnovers, we should really be able put up 30 points on this team. I mean that objectively.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Barring turnovers, we should really be able put up 30 points on this team. I mean that objectively.

I agree on the points.

Can Cook be a huge threat? Sure. Will he? Well, he usually has 2-3 good games a season, so he's due. I personally hope he never sees another pass.

Rainram

Starter
Matchups:

There are some interesting ones...

Their OLine vs our DLine. Joe Thomas, Alex Mack/Quinn, Donald...should be interesting. I'd really consider moving Quinn and Donald around to the left side some. They have a good OLine.
Barnidge vs. McLeod/Barron. Barnidge is playing well. Good defenses have held him in check, but even against the Broncos he had 2 TDs (if only on 3 catches).
Benjamin/Jenks. They throw to Benjamin a lot. Does JJ get burned at all? Can he lock him down? Steal a pick?

**I wonder how effective our DLine will be this game. Hope our LBers and Secondary come to play. We played a good, hungry, Washington OLine in Week 2 that gave us fits. Granted they're a better run-blocking unit to the Browns better pass-blockers. But it's a good OLine nonetheless. We'll see.

On offense....

Fisher was right that their D is better than it looks at first glance. That being said, as I stated in another post, we should put a 30 spot on them if we don't turn the ball over.

Our OLine/TE vs their front. Is Reynolds up to the task? is Kendricks going to play? I wouldn't hate it if Shelton was OUT for them. Regardless, we should be able to run the ball well.
Pass Catchers/Pass Defenders: No Haden. Probably no Gipson. As much as people want to discount our passing game...and as much I think we should pound the ball...there are plays to be made in the passing game.

- NO MISTAKES!!! PLEASE! No turnovers. No dumb penalties.
- Keep drives alive!!

Stel

Starter
The Cleveland defensive gameplan should be simple. Contain Gurley and make the Rams pass to beat them. If they do that, they will win.