What Will Be Rams First Off Season Personel Move?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Barron: Rams need a stud that can run in coverage and tackle. Barron will not be easy to replace but, the injury concerns are not going away.

Sullivan: Keep him. Won't cost much and still have Blyth as depth

Quinn: Hadn't thought of trade. Could be good idea. Have to find someone to replace him.

Re: Barron... Ogletree is going to be the coverage guy moreso I think. While it would be great for them to add a LB who can cover and stuff the run, worst case scenario in the draft they might need to settle for a run stuffer/LOS guy that will get them through for now. But yeah it's very possible they add ILB with almost every pick, since each one should have options on their board to fill it.

Re: Sully... I do think the Rams will re-sign him. I'd let him go though, he's going to be on his last contract so let some team overpay for him in FA. Love the guy but they should be looking at interior OL midrounds on anyway, and have Blythe in-house. But yeah I know Sean and him are tight so it makes sense the Rams bring him back.

Re: Quinn... I'm certainly not the first to bring up trade for him; there's been plenty of mocks doing that in the DRAFT section of the board. But since I really like some of these OLBs and Lorenzo Carter in particular, I'd reload us on the edge LB positions and at CB personally if I were the GM. Need young legs there just like with ILB.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Quinn had 8.5 sacks this past year. Anybody that was above him on the list (IE people to replace him) are going to cost as much if not more. Give him a chance with Wade, I really think people are underestimating how difficult it will be to replace him.

Well with Matt Longacre getting hurt like he did , you might be right ? I think Robert Quinn is so raw as a OLB. He has a lot of upside. He has never really been asked to do much more than just come around the edge & maybe a stunt here & there.
The thing about Robert Quinn is I don’t think he reads place that well. He does a lot of guess work & over commits.

Ram65

Legend
Re: Barron... Ogletree is going to be the coverage guy moreso I think. While it would be great for them to add a LB who can cover and stuff the run, worst case scenario in the draft they might need to settle for a run stuffer/LOS guy that will get them through for now. But yeah it's very possible they add ILB with almost every pick, since each one should have options on their board to fill it.

Don't think Tree is the cover guy. My point was that Littleton and UDFA wouldn't be enough to offset losing Barron. The way offenses are passing with TE/RBs

Re: Sully... I do think the Rams will re-sign him. I'd let him go though, he's going to be on his last contract so let some team overpay for him in FA. Love the guy but they should be looking at interior OL midrounds on anyway, and have Blythe in-house. But yeah I know Sean and him are tight so it makes sense the Rams bring him back.

He won't cost much and played near top level.

WestCoastRam

Legend
You sign your own on teams that win and draft for the future. I think we can all agree that it would be great to have just about everyone back (minus - with some consensus - Austin). We may keep Quinn and one could argue, even overpay for his services but cutting him at this point, why? There's not a better option.

I feel like people want to shoot themselves in the foot just cause they don't like the way it kicks. Well, hey, now you don't have a foot.

Few people have talked about the possibility of restructuring Quinn... is that a possibility?

Last edited:

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
While I also think Tavon is most likely cut. I did see that he has a big dead money hit if he is cut this year. Would he/they agree to a contract restructure? I don't think a team is trading for him.

With all this in mind. Couldn't we see Tavon cut later in the offseason rather than right away to avoid that dead money hit that will come with cutting him?

Cutting Tavon would be expensive but clear a spot on the 53. IMO Tavons extension was a bit outrageous, and has put the Rams in a bad position in regards to negotiations with AD's people and the other FAs as well. .

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
You sign your own on teams that win and draft for the future. I think we can all agree that it would be great to have just about everyone back (minus - with some consensus - Austin). We may keep Quinn and one could argue, even overpay for his services but cutting him at this point, why? There's not a better option.

I feel like people want to shoot themselves in the foot just cause they don't like the way it kicks. Well, hey, now you don't have a foot.

Few people have talked about the possibility of restructuring Quinn... is that a possibility?

Are you saying there are no viable alternatives to Quinn in the draft ?
Actually, there has been a good deal of discussion over whether extending Quinn might be an alternative to his huge CAP hit, and that may be true in the very short term, but if Quinn doesn't work out going forward you just compound the problem by increasing the 'dead money' hit should the time come we have to replace him. Today, Quinn has a dead money CAP hit of only $955,000., extend him and that figure will go up by millions, so you are really betting in a big way on his future success. jmo.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Are you saying there are no viable alternatives to Quinn in the draft ?
Actually, there has been a good deal of discussion over whether extending Quinn might be an alternative to his huge CAP hit, and that may be true in the very short term, but if Quinn doesn't work out going forward you just compound the problem by increasing the 'dead money' hit should the time come we have to replace him. Today, Quinn has a dead money CAP hit of only $955,000., extend him and that figure will go up by millions, so you are really betting in a big way on his future success. jmo.

I can't say I can keep up with draft picks the way you guys can but - yeah - I'm curious if we can get a guy at 23 or lower who can give us 8.5 sacks. Seriously. Plus the draft is a crap shoot, why cut a guy - especially - if we have the money for him and then force ourselves to have another need to try to fill draft day.

Look, if someone told me it's Quinn's contract or resigning Joyner... than yeah, I think I'd cut him but we're really far from that right now. It seems to me there's a world where we can get Donald signed and possibly Joyner and keep Quinn.

I just don't see why we cut a guy unless we have to. And that extends to Barron too, though I assume cutting Barron makes a Joyner/Donald signing more likely.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I can't say I can keep up with draft picks the way you guys can but - yeah - I'm curious if we can get a guy at 23 or lower who can give us 8.5 sacks. Seriously. Plus the draft is a crap shoot, why cut a guy - especially - if we have the money for him and then force ourselves to have another need to try to fill draft day.

Look, if someone told me it's Quinn's contract or resigning Joyner... than yeah, I think I'd cut him but we're really far from that right now. It seems to me there's a world where we can get Donald signed and possibly Joyner and keep Quinn.

I just don't see why we cut a guy unless we have to. And that extends to Barron too, though I assume cutting Barron makes a Joyner/Donald signing more likely.

Yes, I agree with all of that. If a good replacement for Quinn is not already on the roster, and there isn't, why create a draft need when we can use that draft pick to find a future LT or corner?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He's not a "must sign" but I think Walker played really well in his limited role. He probably wouldn't cost too much.
He is a guy that will have to battle for a roster spot You need big bodies for preseason games. The Rams have another guy competing O. Bryant who played well last year on the roster.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I haven't looked at the free agents much but, Graham to me is what this offense needs outside of more all-pro type offensive lineman. Why wait for Higbee to come around or not come around?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIJ12UrzpKE

Barron: Rams need a stud that can run in coverage and tackle. Barron will not be easy to replace but, the injury concerns are not going away.

Quinn: Hadn't thought of trade. Could be good idea. Have to find someone to replace him.

Mun
I haven't looked at the free agents much but, Graham to me is what this offense needs outside of more all-pro type offensive lineman. Why wait for Higbee to come around or not come around?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIJ12UrzpKE

Mundt was a good Rookie last year. Hemmingway is going to be back as well. I don’t see The Rams going in a Jimmy Gramm direction.
—Why wait ? Ascending players at the TE position who McVay & Waldron think they can coach up , plus salary cap & special teams.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Back in 2013, following Quinn's great season total sack count of 19, we thought Jesus had been resurrected. The Rams gifted Quinn with a huge new contract for 2014 and beyond, then his numbers fell off to 10 sacks and later he was injured or troubled with back problems which has lead him to only start 32 of our last 48 games. There's also been increased speculation about Quinn's shift from 4-3 DE to Wade's 3-4 OLB and how much of a scheme fit he is any longer. Never great, but his diminishing skills as a run defender are also tarnishing his reputation, he's become an inconsistent edge rusher while his QB hurries have also slowed. When he signed his current contract he was a 3 down lineman, now he may be more effective as rotational OLB. Yes, the 8 sacks are nice, but as so many have already explained, there is more to his position than just running up a sack number.

Yes, I believe we can draft an OLB that will fit Wade's scheme, get 8 sacks and be a better all-around player than what Quinn is today, or I wouldn't bring it up, but it's up to the Rams to go out and get him.

Cutting Austin/Barron/Quinn adds near $21mil to our available CAP, so yes again, not only does this help us re-sign and extend some of our own guys, but leaves us with a fair amount to pursue outside free agents which fit exactly what McVay/Phillips wants to do. New coaches replacing old coaching hires is nothing new. jmo.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I’m aware sacks aren’t the end all be all stat it’s just one way of illustrating my point. I also state I know he has weaknesses and everybody does. All I’m saying is he’s productive and not nearly as expensive as people think. Replacing him is being made to sound easy and I don’t think it will be. As for drafting his replacement isn’t that something Ebukam was drafted to possibly do?

I probably shouldn’t be arguing for Quinn because people must think I want him around forever which isn’t the case. My point was two fold. It’s not easy replacing a productive pass rusher. And we had these same discussions about Chris Long and now people regret letting him go, will the same happen with Quinn?

As far as Chris Long is concerned. He has played a OLB like he did in college at Virginia .
He is a little bit of a Tweener at DE ??
His contract was huge & is more of a role player at much less than as a Ram.

Ebukham is playing at Barwins spot where Chris Long would be playing ?

I’n Not 100% on long. I do know Morgan Fox plays well at LDT/DE & Longacre at RDt/DE , or OLB depending.

Aaron Donald is mostly lined up next to Quinn. I really like Ejuan Price & saw him
Play on the Left side in practice. He reminds me of a poor mans Mack from Oakland.He uses both power and speed. He gets low & comes up with a burst.

We can make our predictions.

Mine is that Ebukham is a stud !! If not this year, then next He is a starter. Connor Barwin is the only player that will stand in his way. He plays a role on special teams is why. Plus Carlos Thomas got some good reps in last year after his injury. McVay said a lot of nice things about him.

Ejuan was one of my favorites, along with Kevin Petterson.

The thing I also liked the most from watching practice was how excellent Coach Pleasant is . His group will all be back & these guys just fly around and make plays. If you look at the stable of
WR’s The Rams have then look at this young DB’s

Petterson
Hatfield
Blake Countess
M. Christian
Isahi Johnson
These guys made it through the season on The Rams roster from practice,injury, & 53. I kept an eye on these guys & think they all will improve so much through OTA’s !!

Isn’t D. Easley still signed to another year ?
The Rams have a lot of talent.

Les Snead did not get the credit he deserved with Fisher.

Donnie Jones he let go & got J. Hekker as a udfa !
Drafted Greg the Leg after letting Brown go to save a lot of cap room. The Rams kept McQuide & all 3 were pro Bowlers this season.
Found Pharoh who he traded back & still got who made the pro bowl.

Rodney McLod ? Traded for Nick Foles ?
Traded for Case Keenum for cheap.
It was the 2nd rd pick from Philly that made the Goff deal work.

I look at Westbrooks, Morgan, & Longacre as solid finds. Just examples of what some of these players will become ?

I think The Rams organization is in good hands right now.

The Big $$$ decision are what we will be following real soon. At that point the rest will be lined out.

Last edited:

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
my two cents counting for inflation are worth I tenth of one cent but this is what I would like to see. #1tavon gone not much cap savings but we have no where to use him. #2 let barwin go I think he was brought in for veteran leadership witch we don't need now plus his replacement is already here (Samson). #3 probably no one will agree with this one but let Watkins go he had very poor production and his re placement is already here (Jefferson or Thomas).everyone else we should try to resign. everyone we can't resign is just another hole we need to fill and if we do fill it in the draft we only improve one spot. if we resign everyone then we draft a starter we improve two spots ( starter and backup). one more thing most want Quinn gone but he had a injury free year and was getting better as the year went on I think he could be a very good 3 4 olb given another year . wow! this is the longest post I ever put in and my pecking finger is worn out must rest.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, I believe we can draft an OLB that will fit Wade's scheme, get 8 sacks and be a better all-around player than what Quinn is today, or I wouldn't bring it up, but it's up to the Rams to go out and get him.

Four rookies in the last five years had 8 or more sacks. One was Aaron Donald, sorry but it’s not as easy to replace as people think.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Four rookies in the last five years had 8 or more sacks. One was Aaron Donald, sorry but it’s not as easy to replace as people think.

OK then, perhaps rather than implying a new OLB will automatically match the 8 sacks, it may be more honest to say how the new OLB might impact the overall sack count by the entire Rams defense. Again, focusing on individual sacks is not as important to me as how the player improves the position as a whole, how is he in coverage, how consistent is he in applying pressure to the QB, how he defends the run and how good of and where does he tackle his opponents. Does he force fumbles, does he get tackles behind the LOS ? Jacksonville's Ngakoue lead all OLB'ers in sacks with 12 and still only finished with a PFF ranking of #25, Quinn had 8 sacks and PFF gave him a ranking of #87, so obviously there are many other factors for grading a player at this position. I'm not going to discount what Quinn has done for this team in the past, but if we can save millions of dollars and get a more well rounded player at this position at the same time, 8 sacks isn't going to convince me that he is the best we can do. jmo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not going to discount what Quinn has done for this team in the past, but if we can save millions of dollars and get a more well rounded player at this position at the same time, 8 sacks isn't going to convince me that he is the best we can do. jmo.

Please don't think I'm trying to be some great crusader to think we should keep Quinn. I'm all for moving on if we can find the right guy. All I'm saying is it's not as easy as people are saying to find a guy who can be as productive as Quinn has been for us not only last year but for many years. One of my favorite prospects in this draft is Lorenzo Carter who I'd love to stick in that position. I'm simply playing devils advocate here, many people want to replace Quinn but very few have come up with a suitable replacement. Our first round pick this year with us not having a 2nd is going to be key to our off season. We have 3 spots, with dropping Quinn, maybe 4 that could be addressed with that 1st round pick. And each position we take weakens another spot potentially on the roster.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Please don't think I'm trying to be some great crusader to think we should keep Quinn. I'm all for moving on if we can find the right guy. All I'm saying is it's not as easy as people are saying to find a guy who can be as productive as Quinn has been for us not only last year but for many years. One of my favorite prospects in this draft is Lorenzo Carter who I'd love to stick in that position. I'm simply playing devils advocate here, many people want to replace Quinn but very few have come up with a suitable replacement. Our first round pick this year with us not having a 2nd is going to be key to our off season. We have 3 spots, with dropping Quinn, maybe 4 that could be addressed with that 1st round pick. And each position we take weakens another spot potentially on the roster.

I didn't take it as that OS, I love the debate & conversation as we all learn & win with new information and opinions coming at us. I truly value the perspective of a thoughtful dialogue. Keep up the good work ...

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Those two cases were primarily about CAP costs, both warranted & both need/ed some alteration. My only regret is that the Rams apparently never even offered Chris Long a reduced contract, one he stated he would have accepted. Quinn signed his contract as a top DE in a 4-3 scheme, and injuries have reduced his effectiveness. Quinn has missed starting 17 games since he signed that contract. jmo

Agree about "offering a new/reduced deal" on Quinn.
He stayed pretty healthy this season and really came in the last 6-7 games. He's shown he can still be pretty good at times, but he is no longer elite.

Elite $$? No, save the $11 mil cap hit.
Reduced price? I'm for it. Drafting a pass rusher for the other side and we're on to something.

I think it would be good to keep as many quality starters as we can, and I think it would be a wise decision for Quinn to accept less $$ to stay.