What Will Be Rams First Off Season Personel Move?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Now that the 2017 season is over, the lull in Rams news begins. So what will the Rams try to do first? I'm guessing signing FA's they want to keep. AD for sure, but will he be the first to be signed? Who will they let try the FA market before re-signing (or let walk)? Will it be weeks before they do anything or will they get busy right away?

Can someone post when other teams FA's can be signed, when the draft starts, other off season signifigant dates? Thx.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Free agency is in March. This will be an interesting period for the Rams. We will find out who they really like. Overall it seemed like a good roster with everyone buying into the "We Not Me" motto. But after a full year with the team the coaches should have a better feel for the roster. Signing Aaron Donald is a no brainer. Many here that do mocks seem to think that Tru is already out the door. I would hate to see him get away. Some feel that Baron is too small too and should be let go. Ditto for Quinn. The main cut that I agree with is Tavon.

If you look at the problem areas stopping the run and injuries to corners stick out most. So, maybe Baron is a casualty. I don't think getting rid of Tru is a great idea. PFF said he graded as a top fifteen corner. That is pretty good. Pair him with a free agent like Talib and they're set for next season.

I am curious to see if McVay let's up on the high character only types. I hope he doesn't. It only takes one malcontent to destroy unity. I wouldn't be surprised if Easley wasn't back. Overall it doesn't seem like there are a lot of moves to made.

TexasRam

Legend
I’m calling John Sullivan on a 2 year deal. He turns 33 in August so can’t invest long term, but he sure fits our culture.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
John Sullivan replacing Tim Barnes was a huge upgrade and one of the main reasons for the Rams winning 11 games. They have Eldecamp in the wings and I wouldn't be surprised if Sully is the first re-signed.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would be blown away if Tavon isn't cut this offseason. He hardly played after the KR/PR duties were taken from him. He's a gadget guy without some of his important gadgets.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I know there is a thread here at ROD that posted the important upcoming date, But I don't have it! Maybe Management can help with that!!
Here are a few:
* On Feb.5th the Waiver system Began!
* Feb 20th - Is the 1st day Clubs can designate Franchise or Transition Players!
* Feb 27th - March 5th is the Combine!
* March 12th - 14th Clubs are permitted to contact agents of UFA's!

Edit: The NFL Draft is April 26th-28th!

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Free agency is in March. This will be an interesting period for the Rams. We will find out who they really like. Overall it seemed like a good roster with everyone buying into the "We Not Me" motto. But after a full year with the team the coaches should have a better feel for the roster. Signing Aaron Donald is a no brainer. Many here that do mocks seem to think that Tru is already out the door. I would hate to see him get away. Some feel that Baron is too small too and should be let go. Ditto for Quinn. The main cut that I agree with is Tavon.

If you look at the problem areas stopping the run and injuries to corners stick out most. So, maybe Baron is a casualty. I don't think getting rid of Tru is a great idea. PFF said he graded as a top fifteen corner. That is pretty good. Pair him with a free agent like Talib and they're set for next season.

I am curious to see if McVay let's up on the high character only types. I hope he doesn't. It only takes one malcontent to destroy unity. I wouldn't be surprised if Easley wasn't back. Overall it doesn't seem like there are a lot of moves to made.

So in your opinion then Talib should be a no go ? The Rams have great insight on Talib so it will totally depend on what Wade thinks. That will be totally his call if the money is right ?

To say it doesn’t look like a lot of moves to make is not very accurate,
First there are a lot of players they need to either sign, or test there value.

There has to be at least 5 starting spots that needs to be addressed.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
John Sullivan replacing Tim Barnes was a huge upgrade and one of the main reasons for the Rams winning 11 games. They have Eldecamp in the wings and I wouldn't be surprised if Sully is the first re-signed.
What about Blythe? He filled in for him on a few occasions with no drop off.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I would be blown away if Tavon isn't cut this offseason. He hardly played after the KR/PR duties were taken from him. He's a gadget guy without some of his important gadgets.

Tavon actually cost The Rams one game if not more. McVay spent a lot of time drawing up plays for him .
The thing about Tavon is his start speed is not that fast for someone with his speed.
Both his size and weight is such a disadvantage. It’s like when Joyner was playing in the slot as a Nickel CB. He could be in perfect coverage & still was always at a disadvantage.
Same with Tavon. You can’t throw a fade or corner end zone pass to him. He can’t jump up & over a CB.
—Never understood the trading up for those players.

I think Jared Goff is going to be a excellent QB. In fact the tradeup might be of true value because of his rookie contract.
I think the timing was bad because The Rams won 4-5 loosing to 9ers on another Greg the Leg miss. Having Keenum & Foles both signed though was
going to set The Rams back from winning.

I am a big fan of trading back way back to the Bill Walsh days. Billacheat has done a good job for years trading back as well.So why not trade back the #2 pick instead of picking Greg Robinson. The Rams could have been still collecting on the RG111 trade.

Snead did great with Ogletree, Rg111 & this last year with Everett & Johnson

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
In order for the Rams to re-sign Donald, Joyner, and TJohnson, some familiar faces will have to be cut loose.
Austin-won't be missed
Barron-Littleton will replace him
Quinn- he did play pretty good down the stretch, but his best days are behind him.

The Rams have to draft a pass rusher and a CB regardless of how this shakes out.
OL and DL depth should fill out the rest of the draft.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What about Blythe? He filled in for him on a few occasions with no drop off.
Yeah, but those opportunities were limited. There is a reason why Blythe was put back on the bench when Sully was healthy.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah, but those opportunities were limited. There is a reason why Blythe was put back on the bench when Sully was healthy.

Of course.Sullivan was calling all the formations & was the starter. You don’t just replace a starter because he was injured.
Austin Blythe filled into LG as well. He held up strong , but to think his growth is not going to be there is a misconception.

Ascending players have added value.

The thing about drafting a player on upside is different. You don’t get to see the everyday production & how a player is going to fit.

Yes Sullivan was such a steal & why The Rams did not sign him early was mind boggling.

The guy from the BIlls they put a price tag on would not have been better than Sullivan for The Rams. Maybe he would have been the swing or pushed Jamon Brown by adding depth & Sullivan would have still been signed ?

The Rams will be making these decisions real soon. They have had a full year to learn about the players on the roster.

Some of these decisions aren’t going to be talent as much as ascending value & contracts.

Chris Long has won 2 Super Bowls with 2 different teams now. If he was still living with his Rams contract he wouldn’t have been on either team.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
In order for the Rams to re-sign Donald, Joyner, and TJohnson, some familiar faces will have to be cut loose.
Austin-won't be missed
Barron-Littleton will replace him
Quinn- he did play pretty good down the stretch, but his best days are behind him.

The Rams have to draft a pass rusher and a CB regardless of how this shakes out.
OL and DL depth should fill out the rest of the draft.

I think we will be fine without having to cut anyone loose. We have about $41 million in cap space in 2018 and about $97 million in 2019. If the Rams are careful in how they allocate guaranteed money over the next few years, we won't have to worry about the cap until the bigger rookie contracts run out three or four years from now.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
There has to be at least 5 starting spots that needs to be addressed.
I don't know about " Starting Spots" but we definitely need Depth for both Offensive and Defensive Lines! JMO!

Ram65

Legend
Clubs can franchise- or transition-tag players between February 20 and March 6. Teams will have the opportunity to openly negotiate with players March 12 and agree to terms in principle. Contracts become final March 14, which is the official start of the new NFL year.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-2018-start-date-rumors-and-early-predictions

Tavon is due roster bonus that is guaranteed in March 16th . It's 5 Million. No need to let him go right away until they need his salary money. Could get something for him as his salary is 3 Million IIRC.

Quinn 2018 Roster Bonus: $1,111,111, paid 3/16/2018)
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/robert-quinn-7729/

Barron 2018 Roster Bonus: $2M (due 3/16/2018) Guaranteed.

The Rams could let Quinn (down production high cost) Barron (Injury concerns high cost) go early so they could get in the free agent mix.

The Rams could Franchise/Transition Tag Watkins

Sign Sullivan to a 2-3 year deal with easy cap out in year 2 or even after 1 year.

Sign Joyner long term.

Sullivan seems to be the easiest choice being he is 33 and could want to finish his career here and not have to move again. Getting Joyner resigned at least gets the starting safeties filled. Rams want to get these done before free agency . A decision on Watkins comes by March 6th. I doubt TruJo gets a deal. Things should happen fast once it starts.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I know there is a thread here at ROD that posted the important upcoming date, But I don't have it! Maybe Management can help with that!!
Here are a few:
* On Feb.5th the Waiver system Began!
* Feb 20th - Is the 1st day Clubs can designate Franchise or Transition Players!
* Feb 27th - March 5th is the Combine!
* March 12th - 14th Clubs are permitted to contact agents of UFA's!

Edit: The NFL Draft is April 26th-28th!

2018 IMPORTANT NFL DATES

Here is an overview of important NFL dates for 2018 league year. All times are Eastern and all dates are subject to change.

2018 NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE IMPORTANT DATES

JANUARY
January 1 Clubs may begin signing free agent players for the 2018 season.
January 1 Clubs may renegotiate or extend the rookie contract of a drafted rookie who was selected in any round of the 2015 NFL Draft. Any permissible renegotiated or extended player contract will not be considered a rookie contract, and will not be subject to the rules that limit rookie contracts.
January 1 Option exercise period begins for fifth-year option for first-round selections from the 2015 NFL Draft. To exercise the option, the club must give written notice to the player on or after January 1, but prior to May 3.
January 6-7 Wild Card Playoffs.
January 7 Assistant coaches under contract to playoff clubs that have byes in the Wild Card games may be interviewed for head coaching positions through the conclusion of the Wild Card games.
January 13-14 Divisional Playoffs.
January 14 Assistant coaches under contract to playoff clubs that won their Wild Card games may be interviewed for head coaching positions through the conclusion of Divisional Playoff games.
January 15 Deadline for college players who are underclassmen to apply for special eligibility. A list of players who are accepted into the NFL Draft will be sent to clubs on January 19.
January 20 East-West Shrine Game, Tropicana Field, St. Petersburg, Florida.
January 20 NFLPA Collegiate Bowl, Rose Bowl, Pasadena, California.
January 21 AFC and NFC Championship Games.
January 27 Senior Bowl, Ladd-Peebles Stadium, Mobile, Alabama.
January 28 NFL Pro Bowl, Camping World Stadium, Orlando, Florida.
January 28 An assistant coach whose team is participating in the Super Bowl, who has previously interviewed for another club’s head coaching job, may have a second interview with such club no later than the Sunday preceding the Super Bowl.
January 31 Deadline for NFL clubs to try out and negotiate with CFL players whose 2017 contracts are due to expire at 12 noon, New York time, on February 13.

FEBRUARY
February 4 Super Bowl LII, U.S. Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
February 5 Waiver system begins for 2018.
February 13 Beginning at 12 noon, New York time, NFL clubs may begin to sign players whose 2017 CFL contracts have expired. Players under contract to a CFL club for the 2018 season or who have an option for the 2018 season are not eligible to be signed.
February 20 First day for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.
February 27-March 5 NFL Scouting Combine, Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, Indiana.

MARCH
March 6 Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.
March 12-14 Clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with, the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2017 player contracts at 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 14. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 14.
March 14 Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must exercise options for 2018 on all players who have option clauses in their 2017 contracts.
March 14 Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must submit qualifying offers to their Restricted Free Agents with expiring contracts to retain a Right of First Refusal/Compensation.
March 14 Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must submit a minimum salary tender to retain exclusive negotiating rights to their players with expiring 2017 contracts who have fewer than three accrued seasons of free agency credit.
March 14 Top 51 begins. All clubs must be under the 2018 salary cap prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time.
March 14 All 2017 player contracts will expire at 4:00 p.m., New York time.
March 14 The 2018 league year and free agency period begin at 4:00 p.m., New York time.
The first day of the 2018 league year will end at 11:59:59 p.m., New York time, on March 14. Clubs will receive a personnel notice that will include all transactions submitted to the league office during the period between 4:00 p.m., New York time, and 11:59:59 p.m., New York time, on March 14.
March 14 The first day of the 2018 league year will end at 11:59:59 p.m., New York time, on March 14. Clubs will receive a personnel notice that will include all transactions submitted to the league office during the period between 4:00 p.m., New York time, and 11:59:59 p.m., New York time, on March 14.
March 14 Trading period for 2018 begins at 4:00 p.m., New York time, after expiration of all 2017 contracts.
March 25-28 Annual League Meeting, Orlando, Florida.

APRIL
April 2 Clubs that hired a new head coach after the end of the 2017 regular season may begin offseason workout programs.
April 16 Clubs with returning head coaches may begin offseason workout programs.
April 20 Deadline for Restricted Free Agents to sign offer sheets.
April 26-28 2018 NFL Draft, AT&T Stadium, Arlington, TX.

MAY
May 4-7 Clubs may elect to hold their one three-day post-Draft rookie minicamp from Friday through Sunday or Saturday through Monday.
May 8 Deadline for prior club to send “May 8 Tender” to its unsigned Unrestricted Free Agents. If the player has not signed a player contract with a club by July 23 or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later, he may negotiate or sign a player contract from that date until the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, at 4:00 p.m., New York time, only with his prior club.
May 11-14 Clubs may elect to hold their one three-day post-Draft rookie minicamp from Friday through Sunday or Saturday through Monday.
May 14 Rookie Football Development Programs begin.
May 17-20 NFLPA Rookie Premiere. Invited Rookies (typically, first and/or second-round selections) must be permitted by their respective clubs to attend. Such players are unavailable for offseason workouts, OTA days, and minicamps during this period.
May 21-23 Spring League Meeting, Atlanta, Georgia.

JUNE
June 1 Deadline for prior club to send “June 1 Tender” to its unsigned Restricted Free Agents who received a qualifying offer for a right of first refusal only in order for such player to be subject to the CBA’s “June 15 Tender” provision.
June 2 For any player removed from the club’s roster or whose contract is assigned via waivers or trade on or after June 2, any unamortized signing bonus amounts for future years will be included fully in team salary at the start of the 2019 League Year.
June 15 Deadline for club to withdraw qualifying offer to Restricted Free Agents and still retain exclusive negotiating rights by substituting “June 15 Tender” of one-year contract at 110 percent of the player’s prior-year Paragraph 5 Salary (with all other terms of his prior-year contract carried forward unchanged).
Late June Rookie Transition Program to be held at individual clubs. Attendance is mandatory for all rookies.

JULY
July 16 At 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for any club that designated a Franchise Player to sign such player to a multiyear contract or extension. After this date, the player may sign only a one- year contract with his prior club for the 2018 season, and such contract cannot be extended until after the club’s last regular season game.
Mid-July Clubs are permitted to open preseason training camp for rookies and first-year players beginning seven days prior to the club’s earliest permissible mandatory reporting date for Veteran players.
Veteran players (defined as a player with at least one pension-credited season) other than quarterbacks or “injured players” (as defined in CBA Article 21, Section 6) may report to a club’s preseason training camp no earlier than 15 days prior to the club’s first scheduled preseason game or July 15, whichever is later.
Veteran quarterbacks and injured players may be required to report to the club’s preseason training camp no earlier than five days immediately prior to the mandatory reporting date for all other veteran players, provided the club has already opened (or simultaneously opens) its official preseason training camp for all rookies and first-year players.
A three-day acclimation period will apply to players who are on a club’s roster up to and including the mandatory veteran reporting date. Players who rejoin the roster after that date may practice (including wearing pads) and play immediately after passing a physical.
July 23* Signing period ends for Unrestricted Free Agents to whom a “May 8 Tender” was made by prior club. After this date and until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, prior club has exclusive negotiating rights.
* or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later.
July 23 Signing period ends for Transition Players with outstanding tenders. After this date and until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, Prior Club has exclusive negotiating rights.

AUGUST
August 2 Hall of Fame Game, Canton, Ohio.
August 2-5 Hall of Fame Weekend, Canton, Ohio.
August 7 Deadline for players under contract to report to their clubs to earn an accrued season for free agency.
August 7 If a drafted rookie has not signed with his club by this date, he cannot be traded to any other club in 2018, and may sign a player contract only with the drafting club until the day of the Draft in the 2019 League Year.

SEPTEMBER
September 1 Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must reduce rosters to a maximum of 53 players on the Active/Inactive List.
September 1 Simultaneously with the cut-down to 53, clubs that have players in the categories of Active/Physically Unable to Perform or Active/Non-Football Injury or Illness must select one of the following options: place player on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform or Reserve/Non- Football Injury or Illness, whichever is applicable; request waivers; terminate contract; trade contract; or continue to count the player on the Active List.
September 2 Claiming period for players placed on waivers at the final roster reduction will expire at 12 noon, New York time.
September 2 Upon receipt of the Personnel Notice at approximately 1:00 p.m., New York time, clubs may establish a practice squad of 10 players. No club, including the player’s prior club, will be permitted to sign a player to a practice player contract until all clubs have received simultaneous notification via the above Personnel Notice that such player’s prior NFL player contract has been terminated via the waiver system.
September 6 At 12:00 a.m., New York time, the Top 51 Rule expires for all NFL clubs.
September 6, 9-10 Regular Season opens.

https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/league-governance/2018-important-nfl-dates/

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I believe retaining our key free agents should be the number one priority. Joyner, Robey-Coleman and Sullivan should be high on their list. If we can't bring TruJo back we will need a similar caliber player in free agency. You can't lose a guy like that, draft his replacement and expect similar production in the rookie season.

We are a playoff caliber offense. The only difference between us and the Superbowl teams is execution. All we gotta do is learn from the playoff experience and know what it takes to execute better.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Cracks me up some of the people advocating cutting Quinn are the same ones that celebrate Chris Long's success the last couple years and regret letting him go :)

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Cracks me up some of the people advocating cutting Quinn are the same ones that celebrate Chris Long's success the last couple years and regret letting him go :)

Those two cases were primarily about CAP costs, both warranted & both need/ed some alteration. My only regret is that the Rams apparently never even offered Chris Long a reduced contract, one he stated he would have accepted. Quinn signed his contract as a top DE in a 4-3 scheme, and injuries have reduced his effectiveness. Quinn has missed starting 17 games since he signed that contract. jmo