What we know about Kliff Kingsbury's mysterious offense in Arizona

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.espn.com/blog/arizona-c...liff-kingsburys-mysterious-offense-in-arizona

What we know about Kliff Kingsbury's mysterious offense in Arizona

TEMPE, Ariz. -- There are state secrets, and then there is first-year coach Kliff Kingsbury's offense with the Arizona Cardinals.

Yes, they'll have an offense -- that much has been confirmed. Beyond that we've heard only whispers. What will it look like? Will it be a true Air Raid or an adapted one? Could he roll out a traditional, pro-style offense?

Unclear. One thing we know is that it doesn't have a name yet.

"It's an offense," rookie quarterback Kyler Murray said when asked for a name. "An explosive offense."

So there's that.

After a voluntary veteran minicamp, three weeks of organized team activities and a mandatory minicamp, little is officially known about Kingsbury's offense. In fact, Kingsbury said he has been tight-lipped about it because even he doesn't know exactly what it'll look like, and he might not until after the team gets through parts of training camp.

"I have a feeling how it's going to go, but we're going to do what we're good at," Kingsbury said.

Still, over the past two months, enough hints have been dropped that we can piece together an idea of the offense Kingsbury is developing. With a little bit of decoding and a few rounds of interviews through the locker room, here's what we know about the Cardinals' offense as we approach July:

It will utilize the shotgun. Earlier this offseason, center A.Q. Shipleysaid on The Pat McAfee Show that Arizona will be in shotgun "99%" of the time. While that is yet to be seen, what's almost certain is that the Cardinals will likely play out of the shotgun a lot.

"Probably more shotgun's our home, which is good because I did that in college, and we had a running quarterback," running back David Johnson said.

The Cardinals also have a running quarterback in Murray. Also, Kingsbury said he likes what he has seen from the Kansas City Chiefs, who lost in the AFC Championship Game with second-year quarterback Patrick Mahomes, who, coincidentally, is a Kingsbury disciple. They went shotgun "80%-plus," Kingsbury said.

It will be fast-paced. Johnson said the plan is go up-tempo -- so much so that he said the offense will have to "get used to no-huddle."

"We're going to get the ball down the field as fast as we can," Johnson said. "We're trying to get a lot of plays in the game."

Just how many plays is Johnson talking? About 90 to 95 per game, he said. That has never been done before, according to ESPN Stats & Information. No team has averaged 80 offensive plays per game. In fact, it's rare for a team to run 90 plays in a game at all. There have been only 66 instances in which a team has reached that mark in a game, including overtime games, in the Super Bowl Era.

Even if it's fewer than 90 on average, it's sure to be a lot of plays, and thinking critically in an offense that fast will be the hardest part about playing in Kingsbury's offense.

"You want to have that fine line of not thinking too much, but we want to have enough in that we can still be attacking," Kingsbury said. "Kind of given the illusion of complexity out there. And so, I think when we start going fast, sometimes it freezes guys up, but once they get accustomed to it, they can pick it up."

Kingsbury said the Cardinals aren't going to play as fast as they can every play. The intention, he said, is to find a pace that'll be comfortable for Murray, one that gives him a chance to see and evaluate the defense.

"I want him to be able to work in a good rhythm," Kingsbury said.

It will spread the field. The Cardinals probably won't spread the field the way Kingsbury did at Texas Tech. Kingsbury said some of his concepts from college won't work in the NFL, but "you're still spreading the field."

The biggest adjustment for Kingsbury in developing his offense will be the hashmarks. In the NFL, they're 18 feet, 6 inches apart. In college, they're 40 feet apart, allowing for an entirely different type of spread offense to be employed. Kingsbury said he has used OTAs and minicamp -- and plans to use training camp -- to try new concepts with the shorter hashmarks.

However, Kingsbury said "a lot" of his spread concepts carry over. His is a plan that has his players excited.

Said Murray: "That's what this offense does: puts people in space, makes defenders make decisions. I think it'll be very dangerous."

Said Johnson: "I think it's going to be really helpful because only having to worry about one guy tackling you compared to three, four guys loading the box."

It will be balanced. Even though Kingsbury is trying to keep his scheme a secret, there's one misnomer floating around, he said.

People think "it's going to be wide-open every single snap, throw it every play," Kingsbury said. "That's not what it's going to be."

That's not what it has ever been, actually. In his six seasons at Texas Tech, Kingsbury's running backs averaged more than 20 carries per game four times. The other two seasons, they averaged 19.2 and 19.6 carries per game. In Kingsbury's last two seasons in Lubbock, his running backs peaked, averaging 26.7 carries per game in 2017 and 24.3 carries in 2018.

Kingsbury has been adamant that his offense will be fluid on a game-by-game, play-by-play basis.

"We just try to do things that we think the defense will struggle with," Kingsbury said. "If it's run it every play, we'll run it every play. If we got to throw it a bunch, we'll do that as well. Basically, take what they give you."

Guard J.R. Sweezy broke it down in simpler terms: "It is the NFL. Everybody knows you got to be balanced."

David Johnson will be a focal point. Johnson believes he'll be used "similar" to how he was under former coach Bruce Arians in 2016, when Johnson had 2,118 all-purpose yards.

"I think I'll be utilized as a running back and a receiver," Johnson said.

The ratio of Johnson's snaps at running back and receiver is yet clear, but he believes it'll come down to the defenses more than anything else.

Kingsbury said Johnson "could have a pretty extensive role in this offense." That could mean asking him to carry the ball 35 times or catch 10 passes, Kingsbury said. But balance will be necessary to keep Johnson fresh.

Final analysis? Cardinals outside linebacker Chandler Jones is among the players most qualified to opine on the team's new offense. After all, he has already experienced the stresses that this still-developing offense can present.

"You just have to be sound in order to defend this offense," Jones said. "Everyone has to do their job, and if you don't, they'll definitely catch you."

We'll know more in training camp, but it's unlikely that Arizona will run any of its scheme during the preseason. We might not know what this offense will look like until the season opener against the Detroit Lions on Sept. 8.

No matter what it looks like, though, there's one thing we know for certain.

"It's going to be fun to watch," Sweezy said. "It's going to be real fun to watch."

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds like a lot of 3 and outs...

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
We know it was good for a losing record at Texas Tech.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One of the problems is that such offenses put a LOT of pressure on their own defense since they'll be on the field a bunch, even IF the Cards score - and frequently they won't score, of course. They'll try to catch defenses with the wrong personnel and will sometimes, but often it'll be 3 and out, with teams then sticking it to the Cards' defense which won't have had a chance to rest, with opponents going on long, punishing drives.

It's different with a 45 man game day roster vs an 80 or 90 man roster.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
90 plays a game is a great plan until you go 3 and out and then watch your defense get mauled for a 9 minute drive.

Ram65

Legend
https://athlonsports.com/nfl/previewing-arizona-cardinals-offense-2019
Previewing the Arizona Cardinals Offense
  • Home /
  • NFL /
  • Previewing the Arizona Cardinals Offense
By Athlon Sports, 6/7/19, 10:00 AM EDT

Facebook28TwitterPinterestEmail
The "Air Raid" is coming to the desert
One of the benefits of finishing with the worst record in the league is owning the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, and the Cardinals used it on former Oklahoma quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner Kyler Murray, a player new coach Kliff Kingsbury had tried to recruit to Texas Tech and a potential superstar who could change the very landscape of the NFL with his dual-threat talents as both a pocket passer and a runner.

Murray’s addition signaled the end for quarterback Josh Rosen just one year after he was drafted 10th overall, but that’s what had to happen for the franchise to go all in on Murray, who promised at his introductory news conference: “You’re getting a winner. Every time I touch the field, I’m going hard no matter [what] the scoreboard [says].”

All eyes will be focused on what Kingsbury and Murray can do with the offense. Expect the Cardinals to run an insanely fast up-tempo style with an aerial attack featuring multiple receivers, including Larry Fitzgerald, Christian Kirk and a bevy of rookie draft picks led by speedster Andy Isabella and the 6'5" Hakeem Butler.

With Rosen getting dealt to the Dolphins in a draft-day trade, the 5'10" Murray now becomes the epicenter of Kingsbury’s version of the Air Raid offense. It will be interesting to see how defenses react to Murray’s speed and elusiveness as he operates out of the shotgun formation the majority of the time.

He should have a better offensive line than Rosen did. The Cardinals, who were forced to use 10 different starting combinations up front because of injuries, brought in two new starters in guard J.R. Sweezy, a free agent addition from the Seahawks, and veteran right tackle Marcus Gilbert, obtained in a trade with the Steelers. Left tackle D.J. Humphries, center A.Q. Shipley and guard Justin Pugh return from knee injuries, and there has been an influx of experience and youth through free agency and the draft.

After missing all but one game in 2017 (because of a wrist injury) and having a subpar season in ’18, running back David Johnson is convinced he can return to his 2016 All-Pro form, when he led the NFL in yards from scrimmage (2,118) and total touchdowns (20). The goal, he maintains, is still to rush for 1,000 or more yards and finish with 1,000 or more receiving yards. Look for Johnson, one of the best receiving threats in any NFL backfield, to get 25-30 touches per game and line up frequently as both a slot receiver and a out wide. Johnson welcomes the thought of running out of shotgun sets. “I actually love that,” he says. “I did that in college. That’s all we did in college is that gun-read option-type thing. I think it really opens up more space for me and makes me able to read the defense a little bit more besides getting the ball from under center.”

Though he will be 36 when the season starts, Fitzgerald still has plenty of game — he had his three most productive (by number of receptions) NFL seasons from 2015-17 — and he can help mentor a young stable of receivers that includes a third rookie in KeeSean Johnson as well as Bears castoff Kevin White, the former first-round pick who has battled injuries since joining the league.

Keep an eye on the tight end position, where veteran newcomer Charles Clay could have a career revival in this system, and holdover Ricky Seals-Jones, a natural pass catcher, could thrive. The team also added a veteran blocker in Maxx Williams and drafted UCLA’s Caleb Wilson, who led all FBS tight ends in receiving yards.

So what's the final result? Expectations are soaring in Arizona because of Kingsbury and Murray, his tied-to-the-hip flashy quarterback, and if they can’t return the Cardinals to at least seven or eight wins, it will be a disappointment.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://athlonsports.com/nfl/previewing-arizona-cardinals-offense-2019
Previewing the Arizona Cardinals Offense

• Home /
  • NFL /
  • Previewing the Arizona Cardinals Offense
By Athlon Sports, 6/7/19, 10:00 AM EDT

Facebook28TwitterPinterestEmail
The "Air Raid" is coming to the desert
One of the benefits of finishing with the worst record in the league is owning the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, and the Cardinals used it on former Oklahoma quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner Kyler Murray, a player new coach Kliff Kingsbury had tried to recruit to Texas Tech and a potential superstar who could change the very landscape of the NFL with his dual-threat talents as both a pocket passer and a runner.

Murray’s addition signaled the end for quarterback Josh Rosen just one year after he was drafted 10th overall, but that’s what had to happen for the franchise to go all in on Murray, who promised at his introductory news conference: “You’re getting a winner. Every time I touch the field, I’m going hard no matter [what] the scoreboard [says].”

All eyes will be focused on what Kingsbury and Murray can do with the offense. Expect the Cardinals to run an insanely fast up-tempo style with an aerial attack featuring multiple receivers, including Larry Fitzgerald, Christian Kirk and a bevy of rookie draft picks led by speedster Andy Isabella and the 6'5" Hakeem Butler.

With Rosen getting dealt to the Dolphins in a draft-day trade, the 5'10" Murray now becomes the epicenter of Kingsbury’s version of the Air Raid offense. It will be interesting to see how defenses react to Murray’s speed and elusiveness as he operates out of the shotgun formation the majority of the time.

He should have a better offensive line than Rosen did. The Cardinals, who were forced to use 10 different starting combinations up front because of injuries, brought in two new starters in guard J.R. Sweezy, a free agent addition from the Seahawks, and veteran right tackle Marcus Gilbert, obtained in a trade with the Steelers. Left tackle D.J. Humphries, center A.Q. Shipley and guard Justin Pugh return from knee injuries, and there has been an influx of experience and youth through free agency and the draft.

After missing all but one game in 2017 (because of a wrist injury) and having a subpar season in ’18, running back David Johnson is convinced he can return to his 2016 All-Pro form, when he led the NFL in yards from scrimmage (2,118) and total touchdowns (20). The goal, he maintains, is still to rush for 1,000 or more yards and finish with 1,000 or more receiving yards. Look for Johnson, one of the best receiving threats in any NFL backfield, to get 25-30 touches per game and line up frequently as both a slot receiver and a out wide. Johnson welcomes the thought of running out of shotgun sets. “I actually love that,” he says. “I did that in college. That’s all we did in college is that gun-read option-type thing. I think it really opens up more space for me and makes me able to read the defense a little bit more besides getting the ball from under center. Though he will be 36 when the season starts, Fitzgerald still has plenty of game — he had his three most productive (by number of receptions) NFL seasons from 2015-17 — and he can help mentor a young stable of receivers that includes a third rookie in KeeSean Johnson as well as Bears castoff Kevin White, the former first-round pick who has battled injuries since joining the league.

Keep an eye on the tight end position, where veteran newcomer Charles Clay could have a career revival in this system, and holdover Ricky Seals-Jones, a natural pass catcher, could thrive. The team also added a veteran blocker in Maxx Williams and drafted UCLA’s Caleb Wilson, who led all FBS tight ends in receiving yards.

So what's the final result? Expectations are soaring in Arizona because of Kingsbury and Murray, his tied-to-the-hip flashy quarterback, and if they can’t return the Cardinals to at least seven or eight wins, it will be a disappointment.

So if he does well fans will say that Murray is better than Rosen - and ignore that the Cards have two new OL AND are getting three back from injury. Let's see what Murray could do with the Cards' 2018 OL.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
We know it was good for a losing record at Texas Tech.

The Question looms has a college head coach every had a losing record and then went to the NFL and been successful? Better yet, has a College Head Coach ever been fired then went to the NFL and had success as an NFL Head Coach?

Richie Brooks, that's right our very own Rich "Papa Smurf" Brooks record at Oregon was 91-109 with 4 ties, now that was before all of Philip Hampson "Phil" Knight's money and Brooks had a great year in 1994 albeit still losing the bowl game and he came to St. Louis and had an interesting first year at 7-9, but was fired the following year proving to be over his head.

Kliff Timothy Kingsbury teams will score points, I believe they will, but I don't believe he cares about the other areas of the team. The Cardinals did hire Vance Joseph as the defensive coordinator and IMO, that's a good hire, but this is where I believe the Cardinals will struggle and in pass protection as well.

Kingsbury's teams at Texas Tech struggled on defense and special teams, now I understand that conference the Big 12 Conference struggles with defense, but Texas Tech under Kingsbury seem to understate those areas of a football team. IMO, Kingsbury in Arizona will try to outscore everyone, just to showcase how smart he is and will continue to don the sunglasses because he thinks he has movie star good looks.

In the end the Arizona Cardinals will be entertaining, however, it would not shock me in a couple of years, Kingsbury makes his way back to college excepting a job at a big name School as the teams in Arizona mirror his teams while he was in Lubbock.

Ram65

Legend
Lot's of ifs.

If Johnson can stay healthy.
If they can get in manageable 3rd down situation.
If Murray can stay healthy.
If they can convert in the red zone.

They seem to have enough fire power on offense. Funny but, I think they need to use ball control offense. Sure spread it out but, go for getting first downs. Johnson and Fitzgerald give you ball control ability. Keep the defense off the field. Doubt Kingsbury will do that. It's not going to be dull that's for sure.

DVontel

Rookie
So if he does well fans will say that Murray is better than Rosen - and ignore that the Cards have two new OL AND are getting three back from injury. Let's see what Murray could do with the Cards' 2018 OL.
Or maybe because he’s a better QB prospect coming out than Rosen was. Eye-test & stats backs that up, at least to me.

DVontel

Rookie
The Question looms has a college head coach every had a losing record and then went to the NFL and been successful? Better yet, has a College Head Coach ever been fired then went to the NFL and had success as an NFL Head Coach?

Richie Brooks, that's right our very own Rich "Papa Smurf" Brooks record at Oregon was 91-109 with 4 ties, now that was before all of Philip Hampson "Phil" Knight's money and Brooks had a great year in 1994 albeit still losing the bowl game and he came to St. Louis and had an interesting first year at 7-9, but was fired the following year proving to be over his head.

Kliff Timothy Kingsbury teams will score points, I believe they will, but I don't believe he cares about the other areas of the team. The Cardinals did hire Vance Joseph as the defensive coordinator and IMO, that's a good hire, but this is where I believe the Cardinals will struggle and in pass protection as well.

Kingsbury's teams at Texas Tech struggled on defense and special teams, now I understand that conference the Big 12 Conference struggles with defense, but Texas Tech under Kingsbury seem to understate those areas of a football team. IMO, Kingsbury in Arizona will try to outscore everyone, just to showcase how smart he is and will continue to don the sunglasses because he thinks he has movie star good looks.

In the end the Arizona Cardinals will be entertaining, however, it would not shock me in a couple of years, Kingsbury makes his way back to college excepting a job at a big name School as the teams in Arizona mirror his teams while he was in Lubbock.
Dennis Green.

Flint

Pro Bowler
You can’t just be fast, you have to be efficient too. The gsot put pressure on teams not only cuz they played fast but they scored. Your defense ends up on the field a lot but if you’re ahead by a good amount then you can rush the passer and play the pass.
At Tech kingsbury’s D couldn’t stop anyone so they scored a lot and gave up a lot and lost a lot. They also didn’t fare well against the better defenses.
I think there’s going to be a lot of hype surrounding the cards and they’re gonna be exciting in preseason, I’m just not a believer.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Dennis Green.

This is an excellent example as Green was 10-45 at Northwestern and 16-18 at Stanford and did an excellent job as Head Coach of the Minnesota Vikings...Now back then, he coached at two schools that struggled to win, especially at Northwestern and Stanford too after Bill Walsh and even when Walsh went back.

Overall, 113-94 in the NFL so thank you @DVontel as I always liked Denny Green and who can forget...."They are what we thought they were, and we let'em off the hook."

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Or maybe because he’s a better QB prospect coming out than Rosen was. Eye-test & stats backs that up, at least to me.

Possibly. One season as a starter in an offense that was great the year before him doesn't necessarily help his case. Neither does his height. Relatively few QBs as short as him have long term success. Everybody in the NFL is bigger and faster than the teams he faced in college. We'll see. He'll have some success, but also will get hit. A lot.

DVontel

Rookie
This is an excellent example as Green was 10-45 at Northwestern and 16-18 at Stanford and did an excellent job as Head Coach of the Minnesota Vikings...Now back then, he coached at two schools that struggled to win, especially at Northwestern and Stanford too after Bill Walsh and even when Walsh went back.

Overall, 113-94 in the NFL so thank you @DVontel as I always liked Denny Green and who can forget...."They are what we thought they were, and we let'em off the hook."
Will forever be a classic moment in football. Great man.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Great man.

In more ways than one, did so much for the coaching fraternity, to bad Gary Anderson missed that field goal, but like some other fine Head Coaches that were just snake bitten like Chuck Knox and Don Coryell.

DVontel

Rookie
Possibly. One season as a starter in an offense that was great the year before him doesn't necessarily help his case. Neither does his height. Relatively few QBs as short as him have long term success. Everybody in the NFL is bigger and faster than the teams he faced in college. We'll see. He'll have some success, but also will get hit. A lot.
He had a better season than Baker did in his. I’m not sure how that would be a fault. Would be a red flag if he didn’t.

With recent success like Russ & Baker, height is irrelevant to me now. Being 6’4+ isn’t stopping dudes like Winston, Mariota, Tannehill, Osweiler, etc from being bad. Weight is one thing, but height is being a vastly overblown.

He also has teammates that are faster & bigger in college. He is also faster & bigger than he was in college.

He’ll get hit just like every other QB to get. It’s all up to him & how to take/avoid hits.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
Wasn't Steve Spurrier going to do the same stuff with the redskins? :blah: It's all hype