What is your favorite Christmas Movie?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
he only loses the "biggest psychopath in a Christmas movie" award to Kevin from Home Alone.
Really?? He was home alone and in New York alone. Those two thieves deserved everything they got.

If they did not go after Kevin, he would have left them alone.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Miracle on 34th Street" 1947
"A Christmas Carol" 1984

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
@Memento don't get me started on Kevin's family. The mother forgetting him twice, Uncle Frank, the brother...

And just because you don't like a character it doesn't mean you have to hate the movie. You liked Charlie and the Chocolate factory despite Grandpa Joe being the laziest shit alive, right?

Kevin's family are assholes as well, true. And in order for me to like a movie, it has to have interesting, compelling characters. I don't hate Home Alone as much as I do A Christmas Story (and while I loved Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka, I despised the kids. I hated Charlie and the Chocolate Factory; don't remind me of that horrible shit.), but it's not my favorite movie.

The reason why I hate A Christmas Story is because I was forced to watch it in middle school English class every - fucking - year, and if I refused, the teacher suspended me.

The taller kid abused Ralphie just as much as the shorter kid. "Cry Baby Cry" - that's abuse if I ever heard it

He wanted a BB Gun to be like his hero in the movies/tv show - can't remember. I do not absolve him of shooting helpless animals with it but that was not his intention of getting the gun. He was just trying it out. But a kid will do what they do. I know of kids that shot helpless animals with BB guns when I was a kid and I do not believe they turned out to be serial killers. Now torturing animals is definitely on your way to being a serial killer. Ralphie did not have any intent on torturing an animal. And I bet if his mom saw him shooting animals, she would have told him how bad it was and I bet he would have stopped.

I will grant that saying he is blind is bad. He went too far on that point.

As to the lying and getting his friend in trouble, I will have to go back and watch that scene.

Fine, the taller kid was abusive, but not nearly as much as the shorter kid. And the taller kid got the worst of the encounter.

And who says Ralphie would've stopped? He's already proven to be manipulative and narcissistic; why would his mother telling him off for shooting innocent animals stop him? And I understand shooting helpless animals with a BB gun doesn't necessarily mean they'll turn out to be serial killers, but Ralphie took it to a whole new level.

He lied about learning the "f" word from his friend when he really learned it from his dad. His friend got horribly beat by his own mother for no good reason; Ralphie's mother, who was on the line was horrified at the sheer abuse his friend got, and the poor boy was screaming. And after that, Ralphie had a narcissistic fantasy about being him being blind and having everyone feel sorry for him. Never mind that he got his friend into trouble, never mind that his friend got worse than he did; it was all about his ego.
Really?? He was home alone and in New York alone. Those two thieves deserved everything they got.

If they did not go after Kevin, he would have left them alone.

I think the lawyer at Brown and Croupen explained it best (look up Brown and Croupen's take on Home Alone. Kevin shoplifted, used his own BB gun to shoot people, tricked a poor pizza delivery guy into dropping his pizza - that Kevin didn't pay for, mind you, which is theft - by rigging a television show to threaten to shoot him, and did horrifically-torturous traps for the Wet Bandits. Seriously, nails on the steps? Blowtorching people's heads? Glass Christmas ornaments on the floor? Many other potentially fatal traps? That goes way beyond the pale of self-defense. They weren't even going to kill the kid until he did all of those horrible traps to hurt them.

Kevin is a product of his parents and his siblings, true, but the kid's sheer depravity in his traps for the bandits, his lack of respect for the law (because he ran from the police officer after he shoplifted), and doing similar things in the next few movies about him proves that Kevin is a fucking psychopath.

He could've easily called the police for the Wet Bandits. Easily could've called the police to claim that he was home alone, that his parents forgot him, so that he could go to a safe place for a while back. Why didn't he? Because he was already breaking the law, relished being home alone, wanted to use his traps. He had all the time in the world to call the police on the Wet Bandits. He did not.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The "kid" lied and got his friend into trouble (his friend being implied to have been severely abused), then invented a "what if I was suddenly blind and you all felt sorry for me" sort of backstory to absolve himself of any blame. That's narcissistic behavior, even more than a kid would have. He wanted to have a BB gun for Christmas to shoot helpless animals with it - the first step to being a serial killer.

As for the bully? You mean the short kid, not the taller mentally-impaired kid? Nah, Ralphie went overboard, and he didn't even attack the actual bully, the short kid.

Now granted, a lot of shit is learned; like Faulk said, Ralphie's father was an even bigger piece of shit than Ralphie, so that's probably where he's getting it from. But that doesn't absolve Ralphie. Ralphie was an awful person, and he only loses the "biggest psychopath in a Christmas movie" award to Kevin from Home Alone.
Over-sensitivity is a blight upon the culture of this modern age. Or put more simply "lighten up Francis."

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lot of good ones that are all on my annual watch list. I'll add Scrooged. "Niagra falls, Frankie Angel." :laugh4:

1671562387389.png

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Over-sensitivity is a blight upon the culture of this modern age. Or put more simply "lighten up Francis."

That doesn't make what I'm saying wrong. Ralphie is a terrible kid, and one of the main reasons why I despise A Christmas Story.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
The Thin Man

maybe not your tradtional Christmas movie

but the movie takes place during Christmas in New York City , Nick Charles is a retired detective , has his Christmas plans get changed as he is brought out of retirement , on a case involving and old friend of the family

William Powell as Nick Charles and Myrna Loy as Nora Charles

William Powell abd Myrna Loy actually made 6 Thin Man movies , and all are great and worth watching

if you've never watched The Thin Man movies , you're in for a treat

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9cnYeFFeC4

Psycho_X

Legend
Christmas Vacation all the way. I watch it every year on Christmas Eve. Also have the Patrick Stewart version of A Christmas Carol on dvd and will usually watch that too.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Thin Man

maybe not your tradtional Christmas movie

but the movie takes place during Christmas in New York City , Nick Charles is a retired detective , has his Christmas plans get changed as he is brought out of retirement , on a case involving and old friend of the family

William Powell as Nick Charles and Myrna Loy as Nora Charles

William Powell abd Myrna Loy actually made 6 Thin Man movies , and all are great and worth watching

if you've never watched The Thin Man movies , you're in for a treat

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9cnYeFFeC4

Never seen it. There is more than one? Will check it out.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
I have a few favorites. As a kid I liked the Rankin-Bass Rudolph and Santa Claus is Coming to Town, and also the Grinch and Charlie Brown cartoons.

As I grew up I added A Christmas Story to my favorites. But that one definitely has its flaws. The laughs come at the expense of others throughout the film, and my childhood and upbringing were far from most anything that happened in it. A few scenes were flat out ridiculous like when the dogs broke in and ravaged the turkey. But there's a classic comfort to it on some of the other scenes. My favorite is the mall Santa bit, even though when I was a kid mall Santas and their helpers were anything but aloof or mean-spirited. I just think it's a clever idea. My favorite part of the movie to bash is that one walking dude in the cringy lame cheap costume waving at everyone during the parade.

Embarrassing reveal: My parents took a picture of me in a similar Easter Bunny outfit when I was around 4 and I was looking like I didn't like it. That part hits home, even though it wasn't at Christmas for me but at Easter.

Most hated Christmas movie for me was The Ron Howard/Jim Carrey Grinch. I give it a 1 of 10 for the highly annoying Carrey over-hamming it up and the ridiculous added backstory. So much in it not to like and completely un-rewatchable.