What is Sean McVay’s Earl Weaver-style Formula for Winning?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Legendary baseball manager Earl Weaver once described the formula for winning with a simple equation:

3RHR+GPG=WINS

(Translation: 3 run home runs + good pitched game = wins).

If asked to provide the formula for NFL wins in a similarly simple equation, what do you think Sean McVay would come up with?

I’ll suggest this:

OU + BPP = WINS

“OU” is “offensive unpredictability.” This results from the ability to run varied plays from the same formations, and having 3 tool (run, catch, block) players at all of the skill positions. That, in a nutshell, is how McVay produces points.

“BPP” stands for “big play prevention.” The Rams’ defensive schemes under McVay’s tenure have always focused on avoiding big plays from the opposition. While sometimes vulnerable to a “war of attrition” approach on individual drives, in the end, making the opposition work for their points has fostered a high winning percentage.

What simple (2-3 variable) formula do you think fits McVay’s approach?

Last edited:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
It cannot be done because of one extremely different factor between baseball and football.

There's no such thing as a TURNOVER in baseball.

We can still try and come up with a formula that works for football though. It just can't be as simple as one created for baseball... because there are no turnovers in that sport.

The football formula would have to be a little longer than one created for baseball.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Over my head. I'll leave the science to So Ram.
maths-equations-calculates-calculation-maths_equation-science-CX902762_low.jpg

Tano

Legend
We can still try and come up with a formula that works for football though. It just can't be as simple as one created for baseball... because there are no turnovers in that sport.
Well there are errors in baseball which I equate somewhat to turnovers in football - just not as harsh

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Well there are errors in baseball which I equate somewhat to turnovers in football - just not as harsh

Not the same thing as errors. There are errors in all sports... obviously football included. Turnovers are not the same thing at all.

There are no turnovers in baseball. Turnovers have a gigantic effect on wining and losing in the sports that have them. They cannot be left out of a formula for a sport with turnovers if the formula is to be truly useful.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
It cannot be done because of one extremely different factor between baseball and football.

There's no such thing as a TURNOVER in baseball.
There’s also no such things as strategy and excitement in baseball either.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
McVay has his coaching principles, sure.
But no way to equate them with baseball.
Just something to talk about.
Training camp needs to start.

dang

Legend
There’s also no such things as strategy and excitement in baseball either.
If you have played enough baseball you can attest to it being chock full of strategy. So much strategy that it slows the game down and reduces excitement for those looking for non-stop action. Ideal for visiting the concession stands many times for cold adult beverages and stadium grub.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
If you have played enough baseball you can attest to it being chock full of strategy. So much strategy that it slows the game down and reduces excitement for those looking for non-stop action. Ideal for visiting the concession stands many times for cold adult beverages and stadium grub.
Yeah. Nobody talks about the sport much anymore but for years and years it was commonly thought of as a thinking-man's game...

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Yeah. Nobody talks about the sport much anymore but for years and years it was commonly thought of as a thinking-man's game...
Yeah, it’s so boring and nothing going on for 3 hours - nothing else for you to do but think about things

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Baseball has just as much strategy as football, and a lot more than something like hockey or basketball. It's also a sport of resilience, where, if you fail seven out of ten times, you're a really damn good player; where you look into yourself, constantly adjusting to stay at the top of your game.

As a Cardinals, Blues, and Rams fan, I've grown to appreciate all of the different team sports, even the players in the NBA where I don't have a team.

Now golf? That's boring, especially the announcers saying, "Can we be a little more quiet? I want to hear the grass grow."

Tano

Legend
Baseball has just as much strategy as football, and a lot more than something like hockey or basketball. It's also a sport of resilience, where, if you fail seven out of ten times, you're a really damn good player; where you look into yourself, constantly adjusting to stay at the top of your game.

As a Cardinals, Blues, and Rams fan, I've grown to appreciate all of the different team sports, even the players in the NBA where I don't have a team.

Now golf? That's boring, especially the announcers saying, "Can we be a little more quiet? I want to hear the grass grow."
If you play golf, it can be interesting. I had pretty much zero interest watching golf until I started playing it.

However, I still don't go out of my way to watch it like my Mom Dad and Brother do/did.

Tano

Legend
Not the same thing as errors. There are errors in all sports... obviously football included. Turnovers are not the same thing at all.

There are no turnovers in baseball. Turnovers have a gigantic effect on wining and losing in the sports that have them. They cannot be left out of a formula for a sport with turnovers if the formula is to be truly useful.

I disagree. Errors can really turn a game around in baseball.

But it really depends when it happens just not as often as in football.

The only time a turnover in football doesn't drastically affect a game is when a desperation pass is intercepted on 4th down or a 3rd down pass is intercepted 40 yards or more downfield (basically a punt).

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
If you play golf, it can be interesting. I had pretty much zero interest watching golf until I started playing it.

However, I still don't go out of my way to watch it like my Mom Dad and Brother do/did.

Had zero interest in playing golf. If I want to torture myself for fun, all I have to do is play difficult video games.

Baseball, though? Played catcher at a summer camp. Have been a Cardinals and Blues fan since before I was born (my Mom was almost due when she went to a hockey game and then a baseball game. The panic that the guys had was, according to her, hilarious).

Tano

Legend
Just as an example

9th inning - team leading by one run

Two on two out - ball hit to fielder - goes thru his legs and two runs score and you lose the game

There are many similar situations where one error just changes the entire outcome of a game.

Tano

Legend
Had zero interest in playing golf. If I want to torture myself for fun, all I have to do is play difficult video games.

Baseball, though? Played catcher at a summer camp. Have been a Cardinals and Blues fan since before I was born (my Mom was almost due when she went to a hockey game and then a baseball game. The panic that the guys had was, according to her, hilarious).
It's an old person sport. You aren't old enough yet lol