What is next with Alaric Jackson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
For fucks sake! Enough already! And I'm guessing I don't need to say who this is directed at.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For fucks sake! Enough already! And I'm guessing I don't need to say who this is directed at.
I've dropped it and sorry. I really didn't think that me feeling a 1 year contract isn't showing that the team values somebody a lot. I've said many times that if they sign him to a longer term deal that feeling changes. Oh well you live and you learn.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
He's our long term LT. He's note ELITE, but he's not bad. He's VERY solid and very consistent. They've invested a lot at LG and RG and Avila will take a lot of $$ eventually.

Can you get better than Alaric? Sure, there's probably 8-9 more LTs right NOW, better. But he seems to get better the more he plays.

He's a good future LT for us.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's our long term LT. He's note ELITE, but he's not bad. He's VERY solid and very consistent. They've invested a lot at LG and RG and Avila will take a lot of $$ eventually.

Can you get better than Alaric? Sure, there's probably 8-9 more LTs right NOW, better. But he seems to get better the more he plays.

He's a good future LT for us.
He would be if he's signed for more than 1 year.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see a 2-3 year deal for him.
If they sign him to this deal as I've said in this thread yeah he's the future at LT. Right now? he's a 1 year more player. We'll see what happens but as of this moment he sure doesn't look like the long term answer, something you can't say until he signs an extension.

ottoman89

Name
Josh Otto
If they sign him to this deal as I've said in this thread yeah he's the future at LT. Right now? he's a 1 year more player. We'll see what happens but as of this moment he sure doesn't look like the long term answer, something you can't say until he signs an extension.
I don't disagree with the now aspect of your post. I kind of feel like they didn't do a 2-3 year deal because they weren't sure how the LT's would shake out in this draft. I think they'll give him a 2-3 year deal next in the $30mil range and draft Havensteins replacement next year.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't disagree with the now aspect of your post. I kind of feel like they didn't do a 2-3 year deal because they weren't sure how the LT's would shake out in this draft. I think they'll give him a 2-3 year deal next in the $30mil range and draft Havensteins replacement next year.
All well and good to speculate about what might happen that's kind of what we do here. But is it being genuine to call somebody the future of the franchise at LT who isn't signed beyond this current year? I would be happy as all hell if he ends up being the future, but to call him the future when looking at his contract status right now there's no future in that. In fact the only future we see is unrestricted free agency next year. So until the Rams sign him he's the guy for right now.

ottoman89

Name
Josh Otto
All well and good to speculate about what might happen that's kind of what we do here. But is it being genuine to call somebody the future of the franchise at LT who isn't signed beyond this current year? I would be happy as all hell if he ends up being the future, but to call him the future when looking at his contract status right now there's no future in that. In fact the only future we see is unrestricted free agency next year. So until the Rams sign him he's the guy for right now.
I respect that my friend!! It'd be a great surprise considering he was an UDFA.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They didn’t do a longer deal because he’s signed for a 1 year deal per the CBA
Nothing stopping them from signing him long term, but no reason to have done so already.
Nothing more valuable than the guy protecting your Franchise QB’s blind side, and that guy is Alaric Jackson

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
The offer of a future starting LT job for the LA Rams is Jackson's to lose. He is the Rams best option for the foreseeable future.
He is in contract year so he needs to prove he is worthy of healthy long-term contract. I doubt Jackson will sign an extension in 2024 as he will bet on himself entering the open market in 2025. However, except for placing the franchise tag on him next year, there is no guarantee the Rams can retain him in 2025 if he hits the FA market. The Rams best bet to keep him is to get him signed before free agency begins in 2025.

The thing is if Jackson does not work out or signs elsewhere the Rams will have very limited options. Free agency is probably not the best option to provide a replacement or upgrade at LT and finding a rookie who can step in and start at tackle is also unlikely. Any rookie LT who can be a plug and play cornerstone type of player is going to be a top 5 or 10 pick and the and the Rams probably do not have the capability or will to give up the expected compensation to secure that high of a pick. The free agent market at LT is hard to predict right now but there are usually very few options. Usually FA LT's are older past their prime and injury prone, underachieving disappointment reclamation projects, or only backup level players. The best LT's are almost always kept by their respective teams and they are rarely traded for either. Finding someone like Whitowrth was more of the exception than the rule in Free agency. He was getting older and the notoriously cheap Bengals thought they could get by with a younger and cheaper replacement.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Is "pivot" the trendy new name for center?
images.jpeg