What is next with Alaric Jackson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry for the confusion. If we let AJ go next year, do we get a comp pick?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Sorry for the confusion. If we let AJ go next year, do we get a comp pick?

We get a compensatory pick - depending on who signs A-Jax and for how much money and also depending on whom we sign in UFA - the following year after he signs in free agency. So, 2026.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They value him. Thus the 2nd round tender. I think they are still just a bit unsure of his long term value though. This is no doubt a prove it situation for AJ. With limited resources, the Rams are probably smart to play it this way. They'd probably also love for AJ to prove out. Having to pay a LT that has shown he can be reliable and a long term starter would be a good problem to have. If he fails to prove out, we move on without investing too much. I personally hope he kills it and we have to sign him long term. Draftees and even FAs can be a crap shoot. I'd rather we pay someone we know works in OUR system.
The question to me is how much do they really value him? He's only, so far, signed for this one year with no guaranteed money. Maybe I'm just projecting but if they really valued him he'd be signed for years not just 1 and he'd be making LT money. To me this seems like a bandaid or stop game solution. If he plays well again next year maybe they give him a big contract. If not they draft his replacement or sign a free agent though I haven't looked at that list yet.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I wonder what Havenstein’s plans are? He just turned 32… It’s not out of the question he wants to play 3 more.

Whitworth SIGNED with us at 36yrs old.

Havenstein has been such a steady player, he’s signed through 2025 but has a 2026 void year. They could try to extend him, too.

With AJ, they also need to figure out what they are doing with Havenstein. It might be hard to pay them both.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The question to me is how much do they really value him? He's only, so far, signed for this one year with no guaranteed money.
No reason to sign him long term when they have the RFA year to use. It's the system.
They clearly value him being they didnt draft an OT with a premium pick. Do they value him as a starter? Well, that's what this season will tell

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No reason to sign him long term when they have the RFA year to use. It's the system.
They clearly value him being they didnt draft an OT with a premium pick. Do they value him as a starter? Well, that's what this season will tell
He's not an RFA next year. This year they controlled him no need to draft the guy. Next year they don't control him so we'll see if they value him.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I believe AJ’s contract is guaranteed as long as he’s on the roster for Game 1. He’s definitely not on a game to game basis.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I believe AJ’s contract is guaranteed as long as he’s on the roster for Game 1. He’s definitely not on a game to game basis.

1718923670276.png

Fully guranteed money: $0

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I wonder what Havenstein’s plans are? He just turned 32… It’s not out of the question he wants to play 3 more.

Whitworth SIGNED with us at 36yrs old.

Havenstein has been such a steady player, he’s signed through 2025 but has a 2026 void year. They could try to extend him, too.

With AJ, they also need to figure out what they are doing with Havenstein. It might be hard to pay them both.
That’s true

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

View attachment 65880

Fully guranteed money: $0

Yeah, so if they cut him before the season starts they owe him nothing. But if he plays in the 1st game of the season does his contract become guaranteed?

Isn't that why teams sometimes cut a player before the season then resign him for week 2 of the season? Then they can pay him on a per week basis?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Pretty sure his 1 year, 5 mill deal is fully guaranteed.
Would the Rams offer him a long term deal? It’s an interesting question, because who knows if any teams offered him a contract before he signed his tender.
That would at least give an indication of his market value.
Of course being it would have costed a team a 2nd rounder as well, it could have prevented him getting any offers.
Rams are in a decent position, if he proves serviceable in the first few games they could surely offer him a decent extension, say a 3 year deal in the 12-15 mill per range. I don’t think he’d sign for less unless he isn’t proving to be.
Definitely poses a multitude of “what if” scenarios
LT is a premium position and it can be hard to fill. I was concerned that he would get signed by another team. I didn't think there were any OLTs in round two of the draft that could play as well as Aleric did.
This has had me intrigued since the end of last season, would we have went full board for a LT in the draft? FA? Ride his contract (tendering) out? Wait and see? Then offer him a decent deal? It seems they obviously don't see him as the long term solution, but more of a long term reliable stop gap. For his sake, I hope he continues to develop and we meet up at a satisfactory life changing contract for both sides.
The rumor was that they were trying to give him the original round tender. He surely would have been gone if they had imo. But, I wonder if they hoped to pull it off as a negotiating tactic for next winter. For instance, "Any team could have signed you cheap and didn't, so you aren't worth what you are asking?
They value him. Thus the 2nd round tender. I think they are still just a bit unsure of his long term value though. This is no doubt a prove it situation for AJ. With limited resources, the Rams are probably smart to play it this way. They'd probably also love for AJ to prove out. Having to pay a LT that has shown he can be reliable and a long term starter would be a good problem to have. If he fails to prove out, we move on without investing too much. I personally hope he kills it and we have to sign him long term. Draftees and even FAs can be a crap shoot. I'd rather we pay someone we know works in OUR system.
Maybe the Oline resource allocation is the problem. They are paying a lot for the two guards, so they think they can afford to pay their Tackles big money.

Or, maybe they just were putting it off until next years cap goes up.
Big Whit spoke highly of him before he ended up starting. He’s very solid and so far durable which are great qualities even if you need to help him out a little against the best pass rushers. How many better LTs are there in the NFC? He could be a brilliant relatively low cost signing
Jackson is a good left tackle. He's just not a great one. But I imagine that he will hit free agency, because he thinks he's worth top OLT money. I hope not. I hate to see a glaring need develop next winter.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, so if they cut him before the season starts they owe him nothing. But if he plays in the 1st game of the season does his contract become guaranteed?

Isn't that why teams sometimes cut a player before the season then resign him for week 2 of the season? Then they can pay him on a per week basis?

Sorry but not sure I'm following you. What difference would it means if they cut him after he plays the season? If he plays all 17 weeks then there's nothing left to pay and it doesn't matter about guarantees. I'm confused about this line of thought he's on a weekly basis. Is this something new?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I’m confused. Point out where I typed “ they don’t believe in him”?

You made a post of a false pre conceived notion.

The fact is if they had all the confidence in him he’d have an extension by now.

They are wanting to see how he plays out and how he progresses but something tells me if he does play out good till the off season they aren’t giving him top tier LT money.
I didn't say that you said that, I was just stating that fact. I agreed with you that we don't know how much they believe in him at this point.... Not everything is about you. Lol!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry but not sure I'm following you. What difference would it means if they cut him after he plays the season? If he plays all 17 weeks then there's nothing left to pay and it doesn't matter about guarantees. I'm confused about this line of thought he's on a weekly basis. Is this something new?

I'm not sure how you got that from my post. The question is if he is on the roster and plays in week 1 does his contract become guaranteed for that season. We've all seen teams sign vets after week 1 so their contract isn't guaranteed for that season.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's not an RFA next year. This year they controlled him no need to draft the guy. Next year they don't control him so we'll see if they value him.
Well they clearly value him since it would have required a team to give up a 2nd round pick for him and he’s been pretty much anointed the starting OLT spot. Its not like they paid him league minimum to be the 4th TE
Will he be the starting OLT next year? Who knows. Do the Rams value him? Yeah they clearly do but are rightly so hedging their bets

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure how you got that from my post. The question is if he is on the roster and plays in week 1 does his contract become guaranteed for that season. We've all seen teams sign vets after week 1 so their contract isn't guaranteed for that season.

Unfortunately no, that rule applies to vested veterans, which is players with 4 years of service time.
I always thought the RFA tender was same as Franchise tag in that it was 1 year guarantee, but it appears that isn’t the case. I

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
@RamDino and @TheTackle I popped this out into it’s own topic.

It’s the off-season, let’s create as many topics as we can when the news is slow. :thumbsup1:
Thanks CGI - I use to go around with Bonify’d with this WHOLE O’Line thing. I’ll keep it to Alaric Jackson if you like,but since where asking about his FUTURE then that is another subject.It might not be as a RAM though. -I can D’Tail it later?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
According to spotrac and OTC both he has no guaranteed money on the RFA tender, they can always be wrong but that's what I see.

As for the question it sounds cheesy but we'll see what's next if they sign him to a long term contract. Until they do that he might just be a short term solution and there are a handful of LT candidates in next years draft.
Well said & TY for the research of his contract.Plus I’ll agree that The Rams drafting a LT tackle early in the draft is a VERY strong option.