What do we have in Darrell Henderson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
after looking at those high lights I am really impressed. I watched all the games and did not remember him looking so good. anyway with him and brown starting to look injury pron and Kelly not getting off the practice squad I hope we pick another rb in the draft

dang

Legend
RBBC. Brown for the tough yards/pass blocking. Henderson out in space. Definitely need a backup to Brien with his injury history (CJAnderson type, R5 draft pick, etc). Look what KC and SF did last year.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
We better fuckin' hope for excellence. I'm sure we will take a back this year in the draft.

Ram65

Legend
He will be an explosive NFL running back.

Rams need to draft a RB to help him and Brown (if they keep Brown). McVay needs to play him and sit him when games are virtually over. I say around 18 to 20 touches a game.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The explosiveness and elusiveness are there. He also has good power for his size. The guy is a nice young back my only concern is can he eat carries.

Just like I said during last season I would sign CJ Anderson to a cheap contract to ensure we have a guy that can eat carries. I would also cut Malcolm Brown so he'll have time to find another roster spot somewhere. From there even if we don't manage to find a RB in the draft we'll be ok.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I liked him a little better just out of college, but with a decent OLine and hopefully better durability, I think Henderson could do quite well. He had great feet and very good vision and anticipation imho.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
He will be entering year 2 and hopefully this is his time to shine. He was explosive at Memphis and was projected to be a great compliment to Gurley last year. The way the season played out did not work to his advantage, as he was used sparingly and we didn’t get a large sample size.

What do you all think?

what do we have in Henderson?
1584869535875.gif

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Todd Gurley era is over for the Los Angeles Rams.

Now it's time to see what running back Darrell Henderson can do as the Rams attempt to move on from Gurley, the one-time NFL Offensive Player of the Year, and rebound from last season's disappointing 9-7 finish.The Rams selected Henderson in the third round of the 2019 NFL draft. At the time, it was a curious pick for a team that had only nine months earlier made Gurley the highest-paid running back in NFL history with a four-year, $60 million extension.But after the Rams picked Henderson with the 70th overall selection, Sean McVay called him the "change-of-pace" back that he had been in search of since taking over as coach.

1585931045007.png

"I loved him coming out last year," McVay said in February at the NFL scouting combine. At Memphis, Henderson rushed for 3,545 yards and 36 touchdowns in three seasons and caught 63 passes for 758 yards and eight touchdowns.

Next season, Henderson, who turns 23 in August, will have a chance to jump from a seldom-used back to a feature role. Malcolm Brown, who spent five seasons as Gurley's backup, also is expected to take on an increased load, and the Rams could use one of their six picks in the draft this month to add more running back depth.

In January, the Rams hired offensive coordinator Kevin O'Connell, who is expected to help reinvigorate a run game that last season struggled to get moving. The Rams also invested in the offensive line this offseason by re-signing veteran left tackle Andrew Whitworth and guard/center Austin Blythe.

Said Whitworth of Henderson: "He's quick. When he puts his foot in the ground and goes, you can see it. There's a couple games there throughout the season, he got some opportunities when he touched the football, he looked like lightning in a bottle."

The Rams spent the past five seasons featuring Gurley. When McVay arrived in 2017, he designed his offense around the star back, and even last season, when it became apparent that Gurley's role was shifting, he continued to play a critical role in deciding wins versus losses. Since the Rams selected Gurley from Georgia with the 10th overall pick in 2015, he has 1,483 touches, 125 more than any other NFL player during that span, according to ESPN Stats & Information research.

But now, with Gurley gone as part of a salary-cap dump and after the two sides couldn't find common ground in dealing with a nagging knee, the Rams will see if Henderson, who is scheduled to earn $687,000, can take over.Last season, Henderson demonstrated flashes of promise but was unable to establish a consistent rhythm playing only 8% of the team's offensive snaps (93).

Rams general manager Les Snead said Henderson's rookie campaign didn't pan out according to plan. "What I do know coming into it, would've liked to have been able to implement Darrell Henderson a little bit more," Snead said after the season in December. "And also implement him in the passing game."Henderson rushed for 147 yards on 39 carries and caught four passes for 37 yards. He averaged 3.77 yards per carry. "He's got an even-keeled demeanor," McVay said. "He's a guy that has some burst. He's got a thick lower half, too. He can end up going through people, he can go around them -- he's got great instincts."

In Week 6, when Gurley was sidelined because of a thigh bruise, Henderson capitalized on the opportunity to play an increased role, but he also committed a rookie mistake. He rushed for 39 yards on six carries, including 22-yard and a 14-yard runs, but on the first play of the second half, Henderson fumbled a pitch from quarterback Jared Goff, and the San Francisco 49ers recovered on their way to a 20-7 win.

In Week 16, Henderson suffered an ankle injury in the first half of a loss to the 49ers that effectively ended the Rams' playoff hopes -- and Henderson's season. He underwent surgery to repair a high ankle sprain and was placed on injured reserve. Despite an uneven rookie season from Henderson, McVay expressed confidence in the running back's ability moving forward. "He did make some good progress," McVay said. "He's got a bright future and we're looking forward to big things from him."

The Rams next season also could turn more to Brown, who was signed as an undrafted free agent in 2015 and is scheduled to earn $1 million next season.In 2019, Brown produced a career-high 255 rushing yards and five touchdowns, despite being sidelined for two games because of an ankle injury.In five seasons, Brown has rushed for 769 yards and six touchdowns on 197 carries. But for now, the Rams' future and McVay's offense appear to be reliant on the development of Henderson. "Really looking forward to seeing the steps that he takes," McVay said.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
wait... Hendo had ankle surgery?? that sucks, high ankle sprains are hard to recover from.
Who really knows now, I was rewatching some games from last season & really liking what I saw from him, but now I'm thinking we pick an RB round 5-6.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After all this Rams' hoopla and selling of Hendy to the fan base it'll be sort of funny if they go RB at 52. Doing that will mean either they're desperate or a RB value they can't pass up slid to them, but still if it happens it'll mean Hendy's a change of pace which is what a lot of fans feel right now anyway.

So yeah I'm praying they go with an OT with good feet, or if the OTs are off the board a Center like Hennessy, Ruiz, etc. Then go get the back you want later and there will be options for that.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I think that's a great idea Merlin. I really like what I saw with Hendo, but he had an ankle injury & I don't think he's a bell-cow back anyway. An Ingram type would be a great pairing with him. So I'm really thinking we get a Center or stud OL of some kind at 52.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
After all this Rams' hoopla and selling of Hendy to the fan base it'll be sort of funny if they go RB at 52. Doing that will mean either they're desperate or a RB value they can't pass up slid to them, but still if it happens it'll mean Hendy's a change of pace which is what a lot of fans feel right now anyway.

So yeah I'm praying they go with an OT with good feet, or if the OTs are off the board a Center like Hennessy, Ruiz, etc. Then go get the back you want later and there will be options for that.

We still have over 3 weeks & will keep on disagreeing with you.

What the Heck has Henderson done to earn the feature back position ??

I started a post Trade Todd Gurley & it got changed to should we ? Old School broke it down to Todd Gurley could not be trade in which he couldn’t be.
The Rams straight out cUT him!!! Yes he resigned with another team quickly.

—CJ Anderson took The Rams to the SuperBowl. I actually think The Rams would not have even made the playoffs without him. I’ve never been a Austin Blythe fan at RG fan. Started a post stating that as well. I do like him at center or a backup guard because of his diversity. I think The Rams only carry 8 lineman like they did Kromer’s/McVays first season.
I think MCSNEAD have a couple RB’s circled, plus Les Snead for the first time stated that he has changed his mind on his one ball theory.
—Will see but I could see The Rams trading back again for that RB, like they did with Everett(got JJ for zero).I’m not sure what your thought was back in 2017 when the Chargers got Both the Offensive Lineman most wanted on here.
-I could even see Les Snead trade you. I think Johnathan Taylor would be worth trading up for to get that option 5th yr. He could slip into the 2nd rd,but I see that extra year for a RB is well worth the cost with not that much risk.Cap savings believing in your scouting.

Ram65

Legend
Said Whitworth of Henderson: "He's quick. When he puts his foot in the ground and goes, you can see it. There's a couple games there throughout the season, he got some opportunities when he touched the football, he looked like lightning in a bottle."

That's it he is lightning in a bottle!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What the Heck has Henderson done to earn the feature back position ??
Where did I say he had earned a feature back spot? I have consistently said we need someone to eat carries and he hasn't proven he can do that. We have a "carries" problem at RB. I like Hendy because I value the skills he has already shown in the face of some busted blocking, he just unfortunately doesn't seem to be someone we can trust to tote the rock a high number of times so we need more pieces in the backfield.

Also and just my opinion here but take it easy on the ledger where you're dutifully taking notes on who says what on a fan board. That happens to all of us btw, we are right on some stuff and sometimes it's after everyone disagrees with us, and wrong on others, nobody bats a thousand but one thing's for sure: constantly bringing up how you think you're the only one to see things can be rather exhausting for the reader. Doing it here and there, sure. But you seem to be doing that stuff a lot of late fwiw.

As to the other stuff... Search my posts on CJ and the other stuff if you'd like. History is there to demonstrate my take on the importance (and the Rams' neglect) of the run game. Not to mention that the 2019 run game was the biggest difference in our team from a Super Bowl to missing the playoffs. So I am confident the Rams are going to address it, which will require both a RB and some more OL talent.