What did you learn from week 3?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I've just watched the game and there are lots of positives again this week, but quite a few more negatives IMO.

1. Goff, the dude is just so cool, he threw that INT and he didn't look fazed by it, it was a risky throw, to the same corner as last weeks INT and again didn't come off, but it did not affect his game.

2. Our Offense: it sure looks like we can score on any drive, Goff is moving the ball beautifully, these WRs are simply amazing!

3. Gurley: was a marked man yesterday, which may have opened up the passing game, but he NEVER gives up.

4. Brown: what a back up to Gurley! He's definitely explosive and the O didn't take a back step with him in there.

5. Oline Penalties: A few of those looked bogus to me, and I heard Big Whit's name called a few times, which definitely seems out of character and the call on Blythe was ridiculous, he was called for holding when he actually didn't touch a single defender (bogus calls?) But I'd like these penalties to stop.

6. Dline: we're getting pressure on, but those sacks are evading us at the moment, our edge rush needs to improve so that we start rattling opposing QBs - don't get me wrong I know Rivers is a great QB and have always respected him, but we should have got to him more.

7. LBs: IMO by far their worst game, the looked tired and flat - they'd better get their asses in gear for Thursday night.

8: CBs: I hope all is well, I have faith in our backups, but losing both would be a huge hit to an elite unit

9: The pace of the game. It looks like McVay really mixes up the pace of the game which I love, keeps opposing Ds on their toes.

10: PR/KP: We're not getting any luck in this department this year! Who do we throw in now? Someone new? Countess or K.Hodge maybe?

Limey

Rookie
Woods played great but he needs to clean up his run blocking (which used to be a strength). Got called for a couple of penalties yesterday.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Brown.... continue to be impressed by him. For cryin out loud he's gonna bust a few TD's wide open soon IN GARBAGE TIME when he's just supposed to grind it out. Last year (when McVay was just getting started) they really wanted Todd to be more patient & set up his blocks, which I think he took to heart, but you can really see Brown doing it in the two long runs he had yesterday -- LeVeon like, I tell ya.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Brown.... continue to be impressed by him. For cryin out loud he's gonna bust a few TD's wide open soon IN GARBAGE TIME when he's just supposed to grind it out. Last year (when McVay was just getting started) they really wanted Todd to be more patient & set up his blocks, which I think he took to heart, but you can really see Brown doing it in the two long runs he had yesterday -- LeVeon like, I tell ya.

I've been more than impressed with Brown so far this season - you nailed it, it's his patience...

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Woods played great but he needs to clean up his run blocking (which used to be a strength). Got called for a couple of penalties yesterday.
A few guys got called yesterday that haven't before (big Whit being another)

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
7. LBs: IMO by far their worst game, the looked tired and flat - they'd better get their asses in gear for Thursday night.

I have to disagree with you on this point. I think Littleton and Wilson both showed up in this game.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
What I saw was a team who, in general, looked a little off but STILL managed to charge ahead.

Goff made a couple amazing throws, but again threw a terrible INT in the red zone. That ball has to be thrown above everyone's head so that only the WR has a chance to catch it. The defenders always play in front of their man down there. We were lucky that guy ran it out and stepped out at the 1.
Several of Goff's passes were off but because we have such great WRs, they bailed him out a couple of times.

Where's the pass rush? It was also inconsistent to nonexistent.

The tackling was also an issue early. I mean seriously, since when does JJ3 miss a tackle? It got cleaned up as the game went along.

I could nitpick more, but the point I really want to make is that champions win on a bad day. Now I know this was far from being a bad day, but truly believe the Rams can play even better than they did yesterday.

On the positive side, Gurley is just a beast, especially inside the 10, and as I said before, we have amazing WRs.
...and how about my man Littleton? UDFA who just continues to make big plays. Love that guy. If I break down and get a new jersey, it's gonna be a #58.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have to disagree with you on this point. I think Littleton and Wilson both showed up in this game.
This LB'ing unit IS an issue. The bright side LB'er Cory Littleton is the star of this defense :bueller:........

Mentioned this in another post...check out the 2nd half of yesterday's gm & see who was lining up @ OLB'er after Easley went out with his injury....... Cory was often used to generate & create some needed pressure on Rivers & it was effective just ask Rivers. Stay tuned on this situation as Wade try's to get his defensive game plan together for Thurdsday Night with 2 starting corners out, he must find a way to pressure Kirk. Plus Longacre is not back to pre injury back injury form yet either.

Bottom line here .......Wade has has some bad luck this early season @ OLB'er/ER positions. Injuries to Carlos Thompson (IR), Garrett Sickels(IR), Matt Longacre. Morgan Fox(IR), Og Okoronkwo(PUP), Ryan Davis(IR) & yesterday Dom Easley again with his knee. Wade is getting seriously thin @ OLB has only 2 rookies left in Lawler & Young to work with currently. LB'er Mark Barron unhealthy Achilles Tendon saga is begining to appear to have a Ram career ending tone to it.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
This LB'ing unit IS an issue. The bright side LB'er Cory Littleton is the star of this defense :bueller:........

Mentioned this in another post...check out the 2nd half of yesterday's gm & see who was lining up @ OLB'er after Easley went out with his injury....... Cory was often used to generate & create some needed pressure on Rivers & it was effective just ask Rivers. Stay tuned on this situation as Wade try's to get his defensive game plan together for Thurdsday Night with 2 starting corners out, he must find a way to pressure Kirk. Plus Longacre is not back to pre injury back injury form yet either.

Bottom line here .......Wade has has some bad luck this early season @ OLB'er/ER positions. Injuries to Carlos Thompson (IR), Garrett Sickels(IR), Matt Longacre. Morgan Fox(IR), Og Okoronkwo(PUP), Ryan Davis(IR) & yesterday Dom Easley again with his knee. Wade is getting seriously thin @ OLB has only 2 rookies left in Lawler & Young to work with currently. LB'er Mark Barron unhealthy Achilles Tendon saga is begining to appear to have a Ram career ending tone to it.
JFM(94) has been getting a lot of snaps at OLB, especially on 3rd downs. Had a few pressures and hits on Rivers from my perspective.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Agreed but that one holding call where he reached out and pushed the front right shoulder of that defender who then did his best Vladi Devac impersonation was a cheap call.

Ram65

Legend
Several of Goff's passes were off but because we have such great WRs, they bailed him out a couple of times.

Yes some were off and the WR made nice plays. On the positive side is that Goff throws a very catchable ball even when it's offline a little.

Where's the pass rush? It was also inconsistent to nonexistent.

Very disappointing. Not much from the edge. Easley getting hurt is going to make them less effective.

WestCoastRam

Legend
It seems like we're getting a lot of pressure up the middle but QBs are able to buy a second by side stepping it and getting off errant throws. With a competent edge rusher, that wouldn't happen, they'd walk right into a sack. It's been great for us so far cause those throws have rarely been completions but we'll struggle when we meet up with a more fleet-footed QB.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
what kind of injury for Dom Easley? First time I've heard he was injured. Out for how long?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Agreed but that one holding call where he reached out and pushed the front right shoulder of that defender who then did his best Vladi Devac impersonation was a cheap call.

Hahahaha, Vlade Divac!!! I remember him! Even as a Laker fan, that's funny!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Obviously next season the Rams will focus on pass rushers as that is an issue and most of us knew that coming into this season, however, the inside pass rush has not been there either IMO, or not up to the Standards I felt...Playing the Vikings, the Rams are going to have to put more pressure on Cousins as the Rams could be without the starting two CB's. Also needing a new return man, I would sign Cairo Santos as Sam Ficken does not belong in the NFL, IMHO.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life

wait wasn't Thompson and Sickels both cut?