What are the 49’ers going to do at QB?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yeah... I know; fuck the 49’ers... who cares... this should be Rams Talk... Yada yada. I feel that way too, really... But...

They feel like the team that could pivot quickly to “dark horse” in the NFCW.

Most likely the Rams will have the buzz, favorite status... Seattle will always be in the conversation with Russ around...

But the 49’ers... what happens there?

If you look at 49’er forums... they are where we were with Goff toward the end. They have a “Jimmy Garapollo Thread” and it’s packed full... “He needs support“... “He sucks“... the whole deal.

They have the 12th pick in the 2021 draft.

Sit tight with Jimmy? Use the 12th pick to support him?

Trade Jimmy, picks, etc for Watson?

Use the 12th pick or trade up for a QB... Lance, Fields, Jones, Wilson, etc. Jimmy is kept or traded in this scenario.

I agree with @Merlin (THREAD: NFC West - All About the Rams vs 49’ers) the 49’ers are one to watch...

What do they do at QB?

Hmm...

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They were in the Super Bowl just under 13 months ago. They're definitely a threat even with Jimmy G.

But - they look to be losing their entire secondary and we have Stafford now. I think their reign over us will end, but could easily see them winning 10 games

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The way I see it they have two options. They can crash, or burn. But I wouldn’t be entirely opposed to the idea of them embracing both options.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think they sit tight with Gpolo and draft a QB at 11, unless.....
The unthinkable happens and a Watson trade happens

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think they sit tight with Gpolo and draft a QB at 11, unless.....
The unthinkable happens and a Watson trade happens

Given what Houston is asking for - assuming they stick to those demands (always a little scared they'd accept what they accepted for Hopkins) - I'd be fine with the Niners trading for him.

If they were asking for AD, Ramsey and future picks, have to assume they'd ask for Bosa and Werner and their first this year.

With Shanahan they'd probably still be decent but the amount they'd have to give up, they wouldn't be too much better off than the Texans are now

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Given what Houston is asking for - assuming they stick to those demands (always a little scared they'd accept what they accepted for Hopkins) - I'd be fine with the Niners trading for him.

If they were asking for AD, Ramsey and future picks, have to assume they'd ask for Bosa and Werner and their first this year.

With Shanahan they'd probably still be decent but the amount they'd have to give up, they wouldn't be too much better off than the Texans are now
I tend to agree that the juice might not be worth the squeeze, however the price for Watson will eventually decrease if a deal isnt made by the draft, and with how dumb Houston appears to be right now I cant say I'd be shocked if that happened.
I do think the reported trade demand from the Rams was a bit FOS, at best was a tongue and cheek answer that was made as a joke.
But ultimately, yeah if they have to trade Bosa, and other key defense components? Would make more palatable.
I think the Carolina/Miami/Jets group will heat up come March 17

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
There are some front-office guys around still from the O'Brien era, but there was no doubt he was calling the shots during those train-wreck moves.

The new GM, Nick Caserio, has a solid reputation and has the job security to play the long game in Houston. I don't see them panic selling Watson. In fact, if I was Watson's agent I'd be a bit panicked right now. The Texans seem ready to dig in for the offer they want, with little incentive to bargain.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah... I know; fuck the 49’ers... who cares... this should be Rams Talk... Yada yada. I feel that way too, really... But...

They feel like the team that could pivot quickly to “dark horse” in the NFCW.

Most likely the Rams will have the buzz, favorite status... Seattle will always be in the conversation with Russ around...

But the 49’ers... what happens there?

If you look at 49’er forums... they are where we were with Goff toward the end. They have a “Jimmy Garapollo Thread” and it’s packed full... “He needs support“... “He sucks“... the whole deal.

They have the 12th pick in the 2021 draft.

Sit tight with Jimmy? Use the 12th pick to support him?

Trade Jimmy, picks, etc for Watson?

Use the 12th pick or trade up for a QB... Lance, Fields, Jones, Wilson, etc. Jimmy is kept or traded in this scenario.

I agree with @Merlin (THREAD: NFC West - All About the Rams vs 49’ers) the 49’ers are one to watch...

What do they do at QB?

Hmm...

Supposedly they are comfortable with Garapolo. I don’t believe it. Shanahan was reported to be looking to reunite with Cousins.
They could go the route of drafting a guy. They could move up to get one.

What makes sense? Who would give much for Garapolo? With his injuries I don’t think he’d be valued as a starter.

The core of their starters is relatively young. Lynch has turned out to be a very
good GM. A newly drafted rookie could make sense, especially playing cheap for 5 years. They’d be set as long as they didn’t mess up the evaluation.

Rumor is that Atlanta may be looking for a draftable QB. A guy like Matt Ryan could also make sense for the Niners.

The best case scenario for the Niners and worst fort the NFC is that they land Watson. But they’d have to pay a hefty price and have an instant mega contract. Minus the cap implications and it would be huge. But that cannot be ignored.

My guess is they try to draft one, andsee if JG can stay healthy all year, then start the young guy next season. I think the Niners window of opportunity will be open longer than the Rams.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm guessing they end up with Darnold. Ex-DC running the show now in NY and all that. It's more affordable and realistic than going after Watson. Whoever they get, though, will have a good line and run game behind him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
When you have an HC & GM like the 9ers they seem to make :poop: turn to GOLD.

That Shanahan running attack is the best in the NFL when injuries have not attacked the OL too much. Does not matter who's @ QB. That weak offense taught 2020 Staley's Defense a thing or two without some key starters.

Sure appears they can dominate the Rams twice a year for a while yet with Mr. G. Thank goodness for their injury bugs in 2020.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm guessing they end up with Darnold. Ex-DC running the show now in NY and all that. It's more affordable and realistic than going after Watson. Whoever they get, though, will have a good line and run game behind him.
Yep, Ithink the new guy’s gonna BLOW as well.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
They would look at it two ways. They know that the Rams upgraded at QB and are in a "short" window to dominate the division so they either try to match that with a quick fix at QB(trade for Watson, Cousins etc) or look to open their window in a couple few years by drafting a QB now.

I don't see them being super patient due to the rivalry, although it's not like they have an aging roster so maybe they do reload a bit. Shanny drafts his QB and they build to get their already talented roster ready to dominate in a few years when the Rams will have to reload at QB and Wilson is on the downside.

TexasRam

Legend
I don’t see they have any reasonable options better than Jimmy at the moment. Maybe draft a QB high and hope he can start by next year.

But they now have other holes to fill, so they have bigger fish to fry.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
How can anyone believe they trust JG to stay healthy?

We know they wanted Stafford.
As far as Wentz, maybe they felt they couldn't trust him to stay healthy either. So why go after him?

It wouldn't surprise me if they made a move up in the draft for a QB.
Then they will cross their fingers that JG could stay healthy long enough, for them to get a rookie ready to play.