NFC West - All About the Rams vs 49’ers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Call me crazy but I'm feeling that the NFC West is all about the Rams vs the 9ers. And I'm not talking solely in terms of who wins the division, but also who can beat who head to head. It's a really interesting dynamic, to have two top offensive minds squaring off with both having had their moments but neither has yet dunked on the other with a Super Bowl victory.

All of this stuff that's been going on ties to that element, the two stud offensive-minded roosters eyeing each other across the yard knowing it's all in. The more I look at what's transpired so far from Goff losing his shit on to them going deeper in hock with their first round picks everything that has to do with this division in the future is to do with these two guys. Everything.

Carroll up in Seattle doesn't have a chance against these two. He doesn't. The dude has a roster and some crazy talent but he's at a disadvantage schematically and no matter what they do I doubt they can stack enough talent to overcome that disadvantage.

Kingsbury does some cool shit schematically but I don't think he's on the level of these two. And the QB down there with the high expectations yeah I don't think that's a long term success model maybe I'm wrong of course but not buying on all that. He's gonna have his moments but over time and full seasons he will trail these guys.

As to the Rams the problem is that they have backed themselves into a situation where there's no room for fucking up. And don't get me wrong I know that we upgraded at QB which is significant and I still like our chances vs Shanny going forward. But I do have that sense that at some point they're gonna get burned with this business model. Where that point will come, morseo than if it will come, well that's probably the most important discussion.

So what we have come to here is McVay trying to position this roster to ride the emergence of Akers and QB improvement to dunk that basketball in Kyle M. Shanahan's MFing face. And I'm buying that shit in spades. Am I crazy?

:horns::biggrin::horns:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Also forgot to mention... The owners. How big is the disparity between the two? I suspect Kroenke will do anything to ensure his stadium opens to tons of wins and all that. But will the 9ers owner do that.

So IMO to counter the cap concerns we have I do think the ownership on the Rams' side is much more willing. Which, btw, is a role reversal of us vs the 9ers in the late 80s and 90s.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Call me crazy but I'm feeling that the NFC West is all about the Rams vs the 9ers. And I'm not talking solely in terms of who wins the division, but also who can beat who head to head. It's a really interesting dynamic, to have two top offensive minds squaring off with both having had their moments but neither has yet dunked on the other with a Super Bowl victory.

All of this stuff that's been going on ties to that element, the two stud offensive-minded roosters eyeing each other across the yard knowing it's all in. The more I look at what's transpired so far from Goff losing his shit on to them going deeper in hock with their first round picks everything that has to do with this division in the future is to do with these two guys. Everything.

Carroll up in Seattle doesn't have a chance against these two. He doesn't. The dude has a roster and some crazy talent but he's at a disadvantage schematically and no matter what they do I doubt they can stack enough talent to overcome that disadvantage.

Kingsbury does some cool shit schematically but I don't think he's on the level of these two. And the QB down there with the high expectations yeah I don't think that's a long term success model maybe I'm wrong of course but not buying on all that. He's gonna have his moments but over time and full seasons he will trail these guys.

As to the Rams the problem is that they have backed themselves into a situation where there's no room for fucking up. And don't get me wrong I know that we upgraded at QB which is significant and I still like our chances vs Shanny going forward. But I do have that sense that at some point they're gonna get burned with this business model. Where that point will come, morseo than if it will come, well that's probably the most important discussion.

So what we have come to here is McVay trying to position this roster to ride the emergence of Akers and QB improvement to dunk that basketball in Kyle M. Shanahan's MFing face. And I'm buying that shit in spades. Am I crazy?

You might be crazy but you’re not wrong, McVay has been pretty much owned by Shanny, with and without Garapalo, that’s gotta stick in his craw. It’s also hard to win the division if you lose to them all the time.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it affects Shanny too, in spite of the head to heads. They were in on Stafford and the Rams hawked them. Now they're talking Cousins which is a pretty big downgrade. Have to think they're asking their kid owner for some mojo to go get Watson.

And my fear is Watson's price will go down as resolve fades on the part of the Texans.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Also forgot to mention... The owners. How big is the disparity between the two? I suspect Kroenke will do anything to ensure his stadium opens to tons of wins and all that. But will the 9ers owner do that.

So IMO to counter the cap concerns we have I do think the ownership on the Rams' side is much more willing. Which, btw, is a role reversal of us vs the 9ers in the late 80s and 90s.

The 9er owners didn't...at all.

Opened the new stadium with a crap team and seems they didn't account for the new location which tons hate... it's MUCH warmer than the old stadium and has a host of other issues. Also, the stadium opened to a bunch of glitches as well.

Let's just say that Levi's opening wasn't great.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think it affects Shanny too, in spite of the head to heads. They were in on Stafford and the Rams hawked them. Now they're talking Cousins which is a pretty big downgrade. Have to think they're asking their kid owner for some mojo to go get Watson.
Downgrade from Stafford i assume you mean. Cousins is an upgrade over the QB's the Niners have now.

Last edited:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ehhh.

Seattle straight up owns the Niners.

Swept them this year including a beat down in game one (Niners lots of garbage late to make it closer).

Split last year, one yard away from a sweep. PC is 6-2 against Shanahan and Seattle has won 12/14 the last 7 years against the Niners overall.

McVay is 6-3 against PC in the same time frame that Carroll is 6-2 over Shanahan

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You gotta look over time Frantik. Since the division has added Shanny and McVay the truth is Pete's been an afterthought. Has he done anything in the playoffs since they showed up?

Pete's a great motivator and he's got a great roster. But he's missing the schematic edge SF and LA have.

Going forward I think this division is LA vs SF. The other two are out. IMO.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Man this is a great topic. How locked in Shanny is? McVay looks like he will be around a while.

Are the 49’ers as committed? I’m not comparing contracts, I mean tone toward commitment?

These guys could be going at it a while.

Shanahan is up 5-3. Winning last 4 in a row.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man this is a great topic. How locked in Shanny is? McVay looks like he will be around a while.

Are the 49’ers as committed? I’m not comparing contracts, I mean tone toward commitment?

Maybe Fish could guest coach for our Niner games. Playingt the NFC West was the only thing he was good at

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams have been dealing high draft picks for top notch players for the last five years and its worked. What hasn't worked out too well is the contract extensions. THAT is what is biting them in the ass right now.

Comparing Stafford and Goff's performance the last two years is a 'no brainer' on who I want for a QB, and he'll be starting for the Rams this coming season.

I'm not worried about the cap situation, they'll faniggle he numbers and end up filling a couple holes.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Downgrade from Stafford i assume you mean. Cousins is an upgrade over they QB's the Niners have now.

I dunno.

I think Garoppolo's better than Cousins when on. Problem is that he's not just inconsistent, but also injured.

Overall, Cousins has a higher floor and lower ceiling, so yeah, maybe a net positive, but when it matters?

I dunno.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I dunno.

I think Garoppolo's better than Cousins when on. Problem is that he's not just inconsistent, but also injured.

Overall, Cousins has a higher floor and lower ceiling, so yeah, maybe a net positive, but when it matters?

I dunno.
I view Jimmy G as an underachieving QB who isn't an uber competitive guy on the field, limited arm(but accurate and intelligent) and ultimately an injury bust. The dude has been in the league 7 yrs now and has one full season under his belt. Not all injury related but...that's crazy.

I'd take Cousins all day given the choice there in SF. I'm sure Shanny want's to do better than Cousins, lol but IMO it's not close. Niners are a ready-made contending roster like ours with shit at QB.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Cousins running Shanny's infuriating offense would drive me batshit. So I look at it as a bad thing but better than them being smart and getting Watson.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg

He may be up 5-3 but we all know one of those 5 were vs a playoff resting play your scrubs throw away game

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think Cousins running Shanny's infuriating offense would drive me batshit. So I look at it as a bad thing but better than them being smart and getting Watson.
Yeah man we don't want to see THAT happen.

On the bright side, I keep picturing SF calling Holmes in Detroit asking about Stafford.

SF "Hi Brad, so we heard you'd be interested in trade talks..."

Holmes interrupts "Hey sorry let me put you on hold real quick. It's my buddy Snead."

20 minutes later...

Holmes to SF "Hey man sorry bout that what did you need?"

SF "We hear Stafford is on the block?"

Holmes "Nah he's in LA."

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

I wouldn't call you crazy, far from it, but...

Of course, the fact that we can't currently beat the 49ers is a big problem and that makes them stand out as the big rival. But I think it's a mistake to underestimate Carroll and Seattle. With Wilson and capable receivers they are as much a factor in the NFC West as the 49ers and Rams. It's a tough neighborhood.

I believe the emergence of Cam Akers will be a very significant upgrade for the Rams' O going forward provided he can stay healthy. I'm hopeful that Stafford will be also be a real upgrade, certainly his arm and playmaking skills are a big positive. But imo these are not enough by themselves.

The Rams need an upgrade at center and an effective deep threat if they want the offense to really hit on all cylinders. I have no idea whether we can afford this, but these were real limitations on the offense. Now is the time to really mortgage the future and fill these gaps.

Another key question is how McVay intends to rework the offensive scheme to make the best use of Stafford. The current scheme has only been intermittently successful for the last couple of years. I can't believe it will continue without significant changes. What direction will McVay go in? How does he beat the Niners' D with Stafford at qb? Stay tuned...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The changes you'll see, IMO, is stuff like fewer boots because Stafford is marginal at best there. Fewer scripted throws because he doesn't need those unless he's on a cold streak. More full read options on third and long, etc.

And talking just vs the 9ers... That game in week 12 (and exempting QB since a move was made) the biggest probs were our defense not setting a good edge and our offense losing in the trench. Our DL got pushed around a bit too but the contain is what killed them (Hollins and Ebukam but also ILBs not getting to the edge).

Then if we lose Floyd. I just don't see how we fix the edge at that point. I don't see us getting it better with limited resources but then again I probably said the same last year so better wait and see how they approach this thing.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You gotta look over time Frantik. Since the division has added Shanny and McVay the truth is Pete's been an afterthought. Has he done anything in the playoffs since they showed up?

Pete's a great motivator and he's got a great roster. But he's missing the schematic edge SF and LA have.

Going forward I think this division is LA vs SF. The other two are out. IMO.

I think we have a certain view of Shanahan because he owns us.

He's had three losing seasons in four years. His only winning season, he had an elite defense.

Now PC has made his best OC hire yet too.

I do think Shanahan is a great offensive mind and playcaller, but dude has won 6/4/13/6 games. Injuries or not, that's not good. Throw in how much they struggle with Seattle, I just don't see it.

Plus the main reason they beat us this year is gone - they should give Houston whatever they want, otherwise IMO the Rams and Seahawks will be playing for the division.