What About the 2020 and Beyond Rams Defense?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
I know the priority for the future is to fix the offensive line. However, how much can the Rams sacrifice on the defense to rebuild the offensive line? Going into next year, the Rams will likely let Brockers move on to free agency. The Rams will try to extend Ramsey and have to at some point to make the trading of two first round picks and a fourth round pick payoff. The big questions concern the future of two important defensive players Fowler and Littleton. Do the Rams sign neither or one or both? Fowler's market value is estimated at 10.5 Million while Ramsey is at 16.9 Million. Ramsey already counts 13 Million against the cap but, could count a little less if a deal is made. The Rams only have 26 Million remaining in cap space with 51 roster spots accounted for. I'm not exactly sure how much has to go to draft picks.

1573846625492.png

I read many different views or possible ways to save money that could include cuts and trades. No way can the Rams do anything about Cook's and Gurley's contracts next year. Could be at least two years before they get relief from them.

Here are some things that were mentioned, John Johnson trade, NRC cut and not resigning Littleton and /or Fowler. If the Rams keep JJ they probably would want to extend him before he becomes a free agent. By extending Littleton only for one year this past offseason the Rams risk paying a much higher price tag or not resigning him at all. Littleton's pay would be a guesstimate of around 10 Million per year. As you can see Cooper Kupp will be due to get a very big contract as soon this off season or he becomes a free agent in 2021 as well.

So what do think? If players go who replaces them on defense? Any other moves you see could happen?

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The CBA expires after the 2020 season. Which will also be when Kupp and Ramsey can be free agents. Question is, what will the new cap look like? Can they wait till they see that? Or do they risk losing one or both of them?

If they both get extended in the offseason they have no idea what the cap will be. Or do they? Some of the moves they've made make me wonder if they have some inside knowledge of what the new cap will look like. Or at least have an idea. We know it will be higher. How much higher is the question.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
There is no doubt that the Rams head shed has a lot of work to do as far as deciding who and how the extensions are going to be handled...Personally I can't see any way they can keep all the guys I like and still address the O line...It will be interesting (to say the least) how this all shakes out !!!

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Kupp, Littleton, and Ramsey are must signs imo. I hope Cooks will take a retirement settlement to ease up the cap space; he dropped below the depth chart since those systematic concussions.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I know the priority for the future is to fix the offensive line. However, how much can the Rams sacrifice on the defense to rebuild the offensive line? Going into next year, the Rams will likely let Brockers move on to free agency. The Rams will try to extend Ramsey and have to at some point to make the trading of two first round picks and a fourth round pick payoff. The big questions concern the future of two important defensive players Fowler and Littleton. Do the Rams sign neither or one or both? Fowler's market value is estimated at 10.5 Million while Ramsey is at 16.9 Million. Ramsey already counts 13 Million against the cap but, could count a little less if a deal is made. The Rams only have 26 Million remaining in cap space with 51 roster spots accounted for. I'm not exactly sure how much has to go to draft picks.

View attachment 32104

I read many different views or possible ways to save money that could include cuts and trades. No way can the Rams do anything about Cook's and Gurley's contracts next year. Could be at least two years before they get relief from them.

Here are some things that were mentioned, John Johnson trade, NRC cut and not resigning Littleton and /or Fowler. If the Rams keep JJ they probably would want to extend him before he becomes a free agent. By extending Littleton only for one year this past offseason the Rams risk paying a much higher price tag or not resigning him at all. Littleton's pay would be a guesstimate of around 10 Million per year. As you can see Cooper Kupp will be due to get a very big contract as soon this off season or he becomes a free agent in 2021 as well.

So what do think? If players go who replaces them on defense? Any other moves you see could happen?

I believe the 2020 & 2021 Rams will have a very new look, and a much younger one at that.
McVay, Snead & Demoff have been quite effective in making the Rams relevant again, even with the injury plague which caught up to us this season. They used free agents to kick start us right into play-off contention, and as the next few seasons unfold, we will see how that approach has given the team extra time to develop our newly drafted & UDFA players. I've mentioned before that i've never seen a Rams team with such a talented group of practice squad members, many of whom have already been brought up, and a few more who I suspect will make the 53 roster next season.
As our available CAP diminishes, there will be a greater reliance on the draft moving us forward, even with the Ramsey trade which cost us our 2020 & 2021 1'st round draft picks. Many of us have already come to accept that veterans like Brockers, Fowler, Whitworth & Littleton will no longer be affordable to keep, and only Fowler's OLB Edge position appears to be loaded with potential replacements. Brockers is likely replaced by a 5/3 Tech DE/DT thru the draft. Littleton's loss may be the most felt as his consistency for quality play is so strong, and while we have plenty of competition for his position, filling his shoes will require some big effort. Currently I have Whitworth penciled in as our temporary fall-back free agent acquisition if the Rams can't secure another quality long term offensive lineman to bring a high caliber veteran presence to this needy unit.
As for extending the contracts of Ramsey, Kupp, Everett & JJ3, none of these are due until 2021 when our CAP situation should be better and more clear. While these contracts will likely be worked out during the 2020 season, they won't take effect until 2021, and for the Rams, the first year (2021) in these new contracts usually represents a discounted CAP cost. In 2021, we will not only have well over $20.mil in additional overall league-wide NFL CAP raises from TV revenue in comparison to 2019 dollars, but several fairly costly contracts will be coming off the books, ... it will also be a time when Gurley's, Cooks', Havenstein's & Higbee's salaries will be ripe for restructure, medical buyouts, the potential for trade, or even becoming a CAP casualty. Not to forget, we will also have some 12 - 15 new draftees from 2020 & 2021, as well as some UDFA's joining in.
In other words, ... don't worry, be happy. :cool:

Ram65

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The CBA expires after the 2020 season. Which will also be when Kupp and Ramsey can be free agents. Question is, what will the new cap look like? Can they wait till they see that? Or do they risk losing one or both of them?

They simply can't wait and let any of them hit the free agent market if they want to keep them. That includes JJ. I don't think they will resign Everett. I'm not sure about JJ either. He could have trade value this year or they let him walk after next year. If they hit the open market they are as good as gone. The resigning money won't count in 2020 but, the decisions have to be made very early in the season or before.

Many of us have already come to accept that veterans like Brockers, Fowler, Whitworth & Littleton will no longer be affordable to keep, and only Fowler's OLB Edge position appears to be loaded with potential replacements. Brockers is likely replaced by a 5/3 Tech DE/DT thru the draft. Littleton's loss may be the most felt as his consistency for quality play is so strong, and while we have plenty of competition for his position, filling his shoes will require some big effort.

Some posters haven't excepted the loss of both Fowler and Littleton. That is partly why I started the thread to see what posters were thinking. Even with both of them and Brockers the defense is just above average. Losing three quality starters is not going to be easy to replace. I don't see anyone on the roster that can replace Littleton. It's possible that Obo/Polite/Durham can help Ebu replace Fowler but, it would be a question mark. Mathews will be a year older too. Hopefully, the Rams can replace Brockers in the draft but, that is not a given. Rams may need to use the early round pick for an offensive lineman.

Will see if they let both Littleton and Fowler go. Will see if the defense can stay above average.

As for extending the contracts of Ramsey, Kupp, Everett & JJ3, none of these are due until 2021 when our CAP situation should be better and more clear. While these contracts will likely be worked out during the 2020 season, they won't take effect until 2021, and for the Rams, the first year (2021) in these new contracts usually represents a discounted CAP cost.

Yes but, I stated up top they have to make the decision to resign early. I don't think they resign all of them. Ramsey and Kupp would be the priority.

In other words, ... don't worry, be happy. :cool:

Worry? I have some concerns about the Rams defense moving forward. The Rams have holes on both sides of the ball. Seems like the offense is getting the attention around here. I just thought a little discussion on the future of the Rams defense would be interesting. I wish we got a few more opinions. Thanks for your response. It's gotten tougher to figure the Rams future roster moves having more big contracts on the books with decisions on future free agents on the roster.

dang

Legend
Ramsey is all but locked and loaded for an extension. I would like to see Littleton resigned. he is an anchor player without any other options on the roster. i like Fowler but i think there are other options on the roster. Cooks has a tough decision on continuing to play. i somehow doubt we see him again this year. it’s a tough business but it may be in Rams best interest to move on from him.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Some posters haven't excepted the loss of both Fowler and Littleton. That is partly why I started the thread to see what posters were thinking. Even with both of them and Brockers the defense is just above average. Losing three quality starters is not going to be easy to replace. I don't see anyone on the roster that can replace Littleton. It's possible that Obo/Polite/Durham can help Ebu replace Fowler but, it would be a question mark. Mathews will be a year older too. Hopefully, the Rams can replace Brockers in the draft but, that is not a given. Rams may need to use the early round pick for an offensive lineman.

Will see if they let both Littleton and Fowler go. Will see if the defense can stay above average.

Well, as I asked the forum a few days ago; could they accept the loss of Littleton if the Rams chose to use our limited available CAP on a quality offensive lineman instead ? Of the few replies received, they all stated yes as our OL is currently the teams biggest deficiency. I agree with that assessment.

Yes but, I stated up top they have to make the decision to resign early. I don't think they resign all of them. Ramsey and Kupp would be the priority.

I agree that Ramsey & Kupp should be the priority, but i'm not convinced yet that CAP money in 2021 won't be available for Everett and JJ3, it really comes down to whether value equals cost. I tried to point out why I believe funding could be available.

Worry? I have some concerns about the Rams defense moving forward. The Rams have holes on both sides of the ball. Seems like the offense is getting the attention around here. I just thought a little discussion on the future of the Rams defense would be interesting. I wish we got a few more opinions. Thanks for your response. It's gotten tougher to figure the Rams future roster moves having more big contracts on the books with decisions on future free agents on the roster.

Well, as I asked the forum a few days ago; could they accept the loss of Littleton if the Rams chose to use our limited available CAP on a quality offensive lineman instead ? Of the few replies received, they all stated yes as our OL is currently the teams biggest deficiency. I agree with that assessment.

I agree that Ramsey & Kupp should be the priority, but i'm not convinced yet that CAP money in 2021 won't be available for Everett and JJ3, it really comes down to whether value equals cost. I tried to point out why I believe funding could be available.

Like every other NFL team, when players reach an elite level they may no longer fit under a previous CAP, so adjustments must be made. This turnover can be painful, but hopefully you've had some developmental players aboard who can step in, and if not, you address these shortfalls in the draft or less expensive available free agents. While we take on more 'big' contracts, we also unload others like Peters & Talib, with quite possibly Brockers, Fowler & Littleton to follow, but it's really just shuffling money and talent around in order to fill new needs which are always popping up. I look at it like plugging holes in a dam that's about to burst, you either keep up ... or get swept away by the flood. jmo.

Ram65

Legend

That's kind of a leading question. I don't know if it has to be Littleton or an offensive lineman. To say that most posters have excepted losing Littleton as you did previously is questionable.

Kupp, Littleton, and Ramsey are must signs imo. I hope Cooks will take a retirement settlement to ease up the cap space; he dropped below the depth chart since those systematic concussions.
I would like to see Littleton resigned. he is an anchor player without any other options on the roster.

I don't know about the cap space for Everett and JJ in 2021. My general thinking is they can't pay everyone. Since they gave Higbee a new deal and now Ramsey will be paid top dollar with Rapp playing well they may pass on paying Everett and JJ new contracts. We should know early next season as they can't wait for them to get near free agency.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
That's kind of a leading question. I don't know if it has to be Littleton or an offensive lineman. To say that most posters have excepted losing Littleton as you did previously is questionable.

The question seems relatively direct and simple to me. Look, i'd love it if we found the CAP space for both, but in the event we can only afford one, then I go with say ... Scherff over Littleton. The Rams have recently been stockpiling young ILB's like Travin Howard, Troy Reeder, Kenny Young, Dakota Allen & the hybrid Natrez Patrick, so they along with another potential draft pick or less costly free agent will compete at the position, a position where Wade Phillips has traditionally found lower cost players that fit his skillset requirements. Our OL is a mess, whether it remains so when free agency opens is up for speculation, either way it looks like a tight fit to sign both Littleton and a high quality free agent offensive lineman. Scherff is just an example, there is no way of knowing whether Washington will Franchise Tag him yet or not, but hopefully you get my point. jmo.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
The question seems relatively direct and simple to me. Look, i'd love it if we found the CAP space for both, but in the event we can only afford one, then I go with say ... Scherff over Littleton. The Rams have recently been stockpiling young ILB's like Travin Howard, Troy Reeder, Kenny Young, Dakota Allen & the hybrid Natrez Patrick, so they along with another potential draft pick or less costly free agent will compete at the position, a position where Wade Phillips has traditionally found lower cost players that fit his skillset requirements. Our OL is a mess, whether it remains so when free agency opens is up for speculation, either way it looks like a tight fit to sign both Littleton and a high quality free agent offensive lineman. Scherff is just an example, there is no way of knowing whether Washington will Franchise Tag him yet or not, but hopefully you get my point. jmo.

Let's see what happens.

Ram65

Legend
I was surprised the Rams didn't give Littleton a longer deal. You could be right that they planned to let him go. If they do I hope they find a solid replacement.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I was surprised the Rams didn't give Littleton a longer deal.

It's possible that's more on Littleton and his agent than the Rams front office. Perhaps the Rams did offer a longer contract, but Littleton may have balked as his confidence in a future brighter longer-term payday was still approaching, ... the Rams may then have taken note and seen the future as already written on the wall. jmo.