What about Shaquem Griffin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
That's where I see him too. Late round three maybe into round four. And if he gets there he's a real nice fit for us.
Sorry, I said Day 3, meaning round 6 or 7. We will see, maybe he goes in the top 100. I'm not aware of anyone else without a hand or other limb for that matter being drafted, ever.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry, I said Day 3, meaning round 6 or 7. We will see, maybe he goes in the top 100. I'm not aware of anyone else without a hand or other limb for that matter being drafted, ever.

How many times have you seen him play?

Kevin

Pro Bowler
How many times have you seen him play?
Never seen him play. Without a right hand, I don't see how he will disengage from blocks, wrap up on tackles and catch the ball. I just don't see him working out to be more than a special teamer. Nothing personal.

Here's something Lance Zierlein wrote about him:
Griffin's physical limitation should be discussed as it pertains to areas like tackle disengagement and consistency of finishing, but his instincts, play speed and technique have all been major factors in helping him thrive at his position. His upfield burst as an edge blitzer and his range as a tackler are two strengths that NFL teams could capitalize on. Griffin could hear his name on day three of the draft, but if not, his competitive spirit and playmaking talent give him a shot to make a roster at some point in his career.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
If you haven't seen him play, you're not in a position to judge what he can and can't do. Watch him play. You'll understand.
Thanks, but I'm not a pro scout so I'm not going to watch his tape and try to judge his future in the NFL. I still won't understand how a kid with all the right stuff can succeed on such a high level in the pros without a right hand. Special teams, yeah, but not as a future star at OLB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks, but I'm not a pro scout so I'm not going to watch his tape and try to judge his future in the NFL. I still won't understand how a kid with all the right stuff can succeed on such a high level in the pros without a right hand. Special teams, yeah, but not as a future star at OLB.

Well, that's your choice, but you keep saying, "I don't see how . . ." with regards to Griffin's skill-set. Your only chance of seeing how will come from watching him play.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Special teams, yeah, but not as a future star at OLB.
This confuses me. If he's good enough to tackle, shed blocks and catch on special teams, then why wouldn't his abilities transcend to 3 down play??

Kevin

Pro Bowler
This confuses me. If he's good enough to tackle, shed blocks and catch on special teams, then why wouldn't his abilities transcend to 3 down play??
It's the difference between running in the open field during a dozen special teams plays vs.a starting role and all the defensive snaps during game. And I agree with Zierlein that he may have considerable trouble shedding blocks and finishing tackles in the NFL.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And I agree with Zierlein that he may have considerable trouble shedding blocks and finishing tackles in the NFL.
If he cant shed blocks, and finish tackles, he cant play ST either. He sure showed he could do it in NCAA

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
NFL.COM says he's a 5th-6th round projection. I'd be willing to take a chance on him in the 4th round.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
NFL.COM says he's a 5th-6th round projection. I'd be willing to take a chance on him in the 4th round.

NFLDS has him in the 3rd. I think at this point, he's going somewhere between picks #70 and #110.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The lack of a hand does not just limit his ability to disengage, take, catch etc. but, it will play a big role in his strength and conditioning development. Also, what if he injured his other hand/elbow/shoulder etc? Like the poster above, I was wary of him, but after checking his tape, he is actually better than expected. I would still be wary of drafting him. Imagine him dropping a game winning pick or missing a vital tackle. The pressure on the kid is gonna be immense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The lack of a hand does not just limit his ability to disengage, take, catch etc. but, it will play a big role in his strength and conditioning development. Also, what if he injured his other hand/elbow/shoulder etc? Like the poster above, I was wary of him, but after checking his tape, he is actually better than expected. I would still be wary of drafting him. Imagine him dropping a game winning pick or missing a vital tackle. The pressure on the kid is gonna be immense.

If he did that, he'd be the same as any other player. On the other hand, with a 4.3 40 and amazing instincts, odds are that if he did one of those two things, there are only maybe a handful of LBs in the game who would have been in position to actually make that play.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
My only issue with that is that if Jeff Holland is there, his tape looks so much like Von Miller's it's crazy that he's not considered a 1st round talent.

I honestly think the Bengals will take him in the second. He's on the rise and I expect him to be drafted much earlier than folks expect.

Now, if we had multiple 3rd rounders and Holland happens to slide a bit or rather not be drafted earlier than expected, I'd say get Holland and Griffin and put Griffin on the inside.

For those that don't know, Wade's ILBs have to be able to go sideline to sideline and Griffin has unique sub-4.4 speed to be able to do that AND he's a very sure tackler.

I'm super interested in how this draft goes.

Once the visits are done, we'll have a VERY good idea who the Rams are taking because they tend to take guys who've visited. They're pretty transparent that way.

Which makes me a little sad... because Holland hasn't been to visit.
It may be that they interviewed him at the combine, and between that and game tape they might have already decided they like him.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Not so sure I’d judge his limitations due to his handicap

Unlike JPP this guy has dealt (and overcame) with this his entire life, my guess is this is a non issue at this point

I’d love to see him fall to us

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Just saw that he is committed to being there for the first round.

Just for experience or do you think a team told him they are strongly considering him round 1?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just saw that he is committed to being there for the first round.

Just for experience or do you think a team told him they are strongly considering him round 1?

I'd be shocked if he goes Round 1.