Westworld

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've tried a couple times the show just bores me there's nothing in the acting or story that keeps me interested.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I've tried a couple times the show just bores me there's nothing in the acting or story that keeps me interested.

It had a slow start. Maybe they felt the need to build a solid framework for e everything that was about to come. It seems to have gotten past that now.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It had a slow start. Maybe they felt the need to build a solid framework for e everything that was about to come. It seems to have gotten past that now.
Maybe I'll give it another shot, I have like the last 4 episodes still on my DVR. I can only think it's the writing and story line that I have a problem with. Cause the show has a great cast but it bores the hell outta me.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I guess I'm the only person loving the series.

But I am...unashamedly. These later episodes have especially accelerated this series into high gear!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm all in, but I'd like a little more nudity...hey, I weird like that...I loved Spartacus....and some other show...what's it called? Oh yeah, GOT (game of thrones, what the hell happened to that?)...but I like them because of the nudity...esp. the women...matter of fact, back to the booty thread!;)

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Thandie Newton is badass!!!

Her character is quickly becoming the most intriguing by a bunch.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm all caught up and still vastly disappointed.
Way too much slow burn for me.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I guess I'm the only person loving the series.

But I am...unashamedly. These later episodes have especially accelerated this series into high gear!

It's not that I hate the show. The acting is first rate. And the show is at its best when it is "getting to the point". Episode 7 was my favorite of the series. That episode seemed to be taking place on one timeline. There was less confusion about what was happening and it was easier to just sit through it and become involved emotionally in the events.

The problem is that the show's creators seem too invested in the complexity of the show. It's fine. It's a different kind of show in that way. But remember how simple the film was in 1973? That story was simple, with "hints" of the complexity happening, and yet picked up steam and charged through the plot, giving it a fun level of excitement.

The film is still out to tell a thrilling story and less interested in the small details.

The series is somewhat the opposite of that.

It isn't in any hurry at all.

The result is more like watching a puzzle. When you see a piece that fits there is a little excitement in an "Ah-ha!" kind of way. But it also leaves you questioning everything. What is "real"? Who is "real"? WHEN is "real"? This requires a lot of mental juggling. It also requires a certain repetitive storytelling. The film had some of that as Richard Benjamin kept killing Yul Brynner's character. But the change came suddenly and there wasn't a lot of thinking you had to give to the plot behind that. Things going wrong WAS the plot. Strap in and go.

The series is asking so much more of viewers--including deep thought and patience--LOTS of patience.

The film had one thread.

This has LOTS and they are tangled. You follow one but run into a different one and then another after that. This makes it hard to grab a viewer by the throat and say: watch this!

There are many people still confused over things that seem more than settled at this point. The show has trained them in a sense to not even trust the obvious. It's hard to follow a thread like that. It's hard to light up emotions.

And yet---with the series you DO get more of an investment in character. Yul Brynner was amazing in his role...but who felt anything about him but --"bad guy" robot who went haywire?

Although his expression when he was getting frustrated did add something to it--because of Brynner's fantastic skill as an actor.

But these hosts ARE deep, and complex. And certainly deserve sympathy.

And Anthony Hopkins is at his evil best. Good luck walking out of the room when he's on the screen.

I believe if the show gets to a place where we can cut some timelines and eliminate some threads the show can be very thrilling. And it may get there. But that may be next season. There are two episodes left this season and at the very least I would think that we will clear up the back story of Dolores and possibly Arnold.

I am very much looking forward to season 2.

I believe if people stay with the show they will be rewarded. But they have to stay with it. And the approach the producers made to telling this story may make it difficult to keep an audience. You have to WANT to stay invested in this. You have to be committed to it. Not everyone will do that.

But I will, Mac. I will keep watching.(y)

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
See, the very reasons you articulated that give you pause are why I'm loving it.

I'm loving the complexity and the willingness to tell a deep story. It aggravates me no end that I'm seeing it at the beginning because I'm a binge watcher, but for my health, it's probably better to see it one episode at a time as opposed to staying up for days on end like I basically did for GoT.

Jeffrey Wright is FANTASTIC and a huge reason I watch the show.

Thandie Newton is a freaking REVELATION.

Ed Harris is showing what it means to be a veteran actor of the highest caliber.

And...damn...Anthony Hopkins... I'm savoring every second he's on screen because much like Richard Harris (Caesar Marcus Aurelius in Gladiator), he won't be around forever and every moment is just...genius.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think its hard for fans of the movie to embrace the show.
And one thing I am missing, is that it was clearly an amusement park in the movie. A place you wondered if it could really exist. I'm not sure what to think, they make reference to the guests but they aren't part of it.
All in all, its frustrating, I feel like I have to be on top of my game to watch, requires total focus and if I miss a minute, I could miss the next big moment.
Its annoying

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Maybe I'm missing something that easily explains this, but has no one who works there ever seen Arnold besides Ford? Not the board members who visit? Not even a photo?

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
I think its hard for fans of the movie to embrace the show.
And one thing I am missing, is that it was clearly an amusement park in the movie. A place you wondered if it could really exist. I'm not sure what to think, they make reference to the guests but they aren't part of it.
All in all, its frustrating, I feel like I have to be on top of my game to watch, requires total focus and if I miss a minute, I could miss the next big moment.
Its annoying

I was a big fan of the film. It was one of the coolest films I saw growing up. Loved it.

It has taken me some time to separate the show from the film. They are two very different things with different ideas and goals.

You're right. The guests aren't important here at all--at least not this season. It really feels like this sort of story could be told without the amusement park--and indeed films like "Ex-Machina" have done just that. In fact the show is much more related to "Ex-Machina" than the original "Westworld".

But this is just a small part of how the showrunners envision this thing which is on a wider scale. I'm not sure the story that was "Westworld" in film would really be able to spread out over five seasons. That story worked better as a film.

This is really the host's story and more about new life forms and how they evolve and what it means. The park is somewhat secondary to all of that.

I was disturbed at first that guests were not part of this but I accepted that this isn't their story. They don't really get a point of view here.

I have had problems with this along the way--as I stated earlier. But I've moved beyond the complaint of this not being the film and have enjoyed some of the cool, clever things along the way. Yes--it can be a frustrating experience at times. But they do a lot of things really well. I think the "reveals" have been one of those things that play out nicely.

I will stay with it. One more episode to go for this season(90 minutes) and then we don't get the next season until 2018. But I'm involved now. I'll keep watching.

But my wife gave up on it. It just isn't a show for everyone. I don't think it will be able to match "Game of Thrones" success for several reasons. But there will be a pretty good cult following. I hope that;'s going to be enough to finish the five seasons they need to tell this story.

The people who are really into the show really enjoy it.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Love me some Westworld. What I don;t get is people who actually enjoy "The Walking Dead". I am trying to watch second half of last season so I can see what all the recent hubbub is about. Forgot how annoying these people are. Most annoying cast I think I have ever witnessed....

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Love me some Westworld. What I don;t get is people who actually enjoy "The Walking Dead". I am trying to watch second half of last season so I can see what all the recent hubbub is about. Forgot how annoying these people are. Most annoying cast I think I have ever witnessed....
Its no longer the Walking Dead, its become the Watching Dead...
I watch it still, but normally just hit play on the DVR and go online at same time.
Best thing they could do on WD is invent a cure and end the series. Its become almost unwatchable, and I have been one of its biggest fans

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Its no longer the Walking Dead, its become the Watching Dead...
I watch it still, but normally just hit play on the DVR and go online at same time.
Best thing they could do on WD is invent a cure and end the series. Its become almost unwatchable, and I have been one of its biggest fans
I do the SAME Thing, haha. I only watch to see if one of the annoying ass cast members gets whacked. I stopped watching last year, then heard Glen got crushed....so had to catch up and see it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Maybe I'm missing something that easily explains this, but has no one who works there ever seen Arnold besides Ford? Not the board members who visit? Not even a photo?

They showed him this last episode. Ford created Bernard in Arnold's image.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
They showed him this last episode. Ford created Bernard in Arnold's image.
No I get that, I'm asking how no one noticed that Bernard looks exactly like Arnold. That's why I'm asking if no one's ever seen a picture of Arnold. Seems odd that Bernard looks exactly like him and no one notices. Is there no Internet in this world?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No I get that, I'm asking how no one noticed that Bernard looks exactly like Arnold. That's why I'm asking if no one's ever seen a picture of Arnold. Seems odd that Bernard looks exactly like him and no one notices. Is there no Internet in this world?
Well, Arnold died like 30 years ago I think but yeah does seem that in a world with the technology to make humans and animals look 100% real, I find it hard to believe that nobody ever thought to look him up

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
HOLY CRAP!!! What a finale!!!

Not gonna spoil anything, but DAYUM!!!

So freakin' good...

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
HOLY CRAP!!! What a finale!!!

Not gonna spoil anything, but DAYUM!!!

So freakin' good...

Armistice was super hot last night. She could bite my finger any day.

MV5BNTk1Mzk4NzM5OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDA0NDYzMjE@._V1_.jpg