Wells restructures contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I've seen "should of" quite a few times recently around here. Didn't want to be THAT GUY and call someone out on grammar though.

You should of said something :sneaky:

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I wonder if they have plans for that extra cap room? Veteran swing tackle, perhaps, in case JLong has a setback? LB depth?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
(y) Great move by Wells!

i'm pretty sure he didn't do it out of the goodness in his heart.

but if you're saying it was a great move to take that deal instead of trying his luck on the open market i wholeheartedly agree with you.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
i'm pretty sure he didn't do it out of the goodness in his heart.

but if you're saying it was a great move to take that deal instead of trying his luck on the open market i wholeheartedly agree with you.

Yeah... it was most probably a take this or see ya type move.

That's why I never get it when fans call for people who KNOW the team isn't about to cut him to restructure. THOSE kind of restructures aren't ever pay cuts.

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky

I think you you're right about the other options at C. Those young lions roaring behind the door probably had more to do with his decision than the goodness of his heart. Either way, good deal for the Rams!

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Rams starting center Scott Wells, entering the third year of a four-year deal, has redid his contract, according to a league source.

Seriously dose ESPN pay for this????

I know, before I read your post, I was debating about mentioning it. This happens all too often throughout media and online publishing.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Ah reckon he done redid dat dere contract.

(And before anyone asks, I have no idea exactly what accent I'm emulating there.)

jjab360

Legend
This is why Wells is on the team and Dahl isn't. Shrewd move by Demoff and co., but it had to be done. One thing I will say is that we will never have to worry about our cap management under this guy, I can't believe how stupid the previous FOs were to let us get into so much financial trouble.

FRO

Legend
This is why Wells is on the team and Dahl isn't. Shrewd move by Demoff and co., but it had to be done. One thing I will say is that we will never have to worry about our cap management under this guy, I can't believe how stupid the previous FOs were to let us get into so much financial trouble.
We need to make sure we never lose Demoff. His is outstanding in everything he does. If this regime failed it won't be his fault.

RamBill

Legend
Wells contract gives Rams cap relief
By Howard Balzer

http://www.ksdk.com/story/sports/nfl/rams/2014/06/09/scott-wells-st-louis-rams-contract/10263215/

(KSDK SPORTS) - Last Thursday, Rams starting center Scott Wells had an excused absence from the team's second OTA. He was working Friday, the same day he signed a restructured contract that covers the final two seasons of the four-year deal he originally signed as an unrestricted free agent in March, 2012. That original contract totaled just over $24 million and included a signing bonus of $4 million.

For 2014 and 2015, Wells was scheduled to be paid $5.5 million each year and have a salary-cap charge of $6.5 million, which included $1 million as the proration from the signing bonus.

The restructured deal slashes his base salary each year, while also providing ways for him to earn money from incentives.

This year, Wells' base salary will be $1 million and he received a $1.65 million roster bonus Monday. There is also a $53,125 bonus for every game he is active during the regular season for a total of $850,000 if he is active for all 16 games. Of that total, $637,500 currently counts against the cap because he was active for 12 games last season. Thus, 12 games from the bonus are considered likely to be earned and the other four games not likely to be earned because those and other bonuses are based on what the player did the year before.

The restructuring lowers his cap charge this year from $6.5 million to $4,287,500, a savings of just over $2.2 million. The $1 million from his original signing bonus continues to count against the cap.

In 2015, the Rams will have a decision to make on the third day of the league year, and much could depend on the progress second-year center Barrett Jones makes this year, how well Wells plays this season and if he can stay healthy. Wells will turn 34 on Jan. 7, and he will be due a $1 million roster bonus on the third day of the new league year in March.

If the Rams move on from Wells, he will count just $1 million against the 2015 cap. If they pay him the roster bonus, his new base salary of $2 million will then count against the cap, along with a potential $1 million roster bonus ($62,500 per games active) plus the signing bonus proration for a total cap charge of $5 million.

Also included in the new contract are $2 million of unlikely to be earned incentives each year. While the specifics aren't known, those incentives are tied to playing time, playing time plus playoffs and making the Pro Bowl.

Howard Balzer hosts "H and Friends" Monday-Friday from 9-11 on Fox Sports 1490 The Champ. He is also a host on SiriusXM NFL Radio and one of 44 selectors for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
i'm pretty sure he didn't do it out of the goodness in his heart. but if you're saying it was a great move to take that deal instead of trying his luck on the open market i wholeheartedly agree with you..

With the Rams having being four deep @ centers Wells-Barnes-Jones & Rhaney ready to go behind him.....the 33 yr old center is smart enough to know the right move for him and his family. This move keeps him here for the next two seasons. It also provides the Rams to utilize the other three interior OL'ers elsewhere as needed. Helps to beef up the OL depth. Both Barnes & Jones can play OG if need be.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
What about, Grandpas? I'm one and I vote! Can't get a smiley to pop up! Need to run the Norton!