Weddle cleared to play vs. Saints

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Eric Weddle in concussion protocol

Posted by Darin Gantt on September 9, 2019, 8:07 AM EDT

1568043474142.png

Rams safety Eric Weddle left yesterday’s game in Carolina a bloody mess, and has something other than just a scalp cut.
Via Gary Klein of the Los Angeles Times, Weddle is in the concussion protocol after he was kneed in the head by a hurdling Panthers running back Christian McCaffrey.

He was replaced in the lineup by Marqui Christian, and nothing against him, but the difference from Weddle is something the Rams will have to adjust to since he’s their defensive signal-caller.

“When you lose somebody like Eric with what he means to our team — the communication, some of those things— it can be deflating,” Rams coach McVay said. “But I thought our guys did a great job handling it.”Weddle indicated to reporters he was fine after the game, though they can’t know at the moment if he’ll be cleared to return next week against the Saints.

Last edited:

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Even if he isn't concussed you have to wonder how many stitches he'll need and how long that will take to heal enough.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How would you compare the overall defensive team effect between having an Eric Weddle on the field calling the defense vs Margui Christian & another defender calling the plays?

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
How would you compare the overall defensive team effect between having an Eric Weddle on the field calling the defense vs Margui Christian & another defender calling the plays?
You could definitely see the difference right away. I'm assuming the play calling went back to Littleton after Weddle went down. If that's the case at least Cory has experience. Christian got real lucky on the off setting penalty for his helmet to the head hit on Olson (Even though it was almost bordline not a penalty).

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Eric Weddle injury update: Rams safety enters concussion protocol
By Kirstie Chiappelli

Rams safety Eric Weddle has entered the NFL's concussion protocol after leaving Sunday's 30-27 win over the Panthers, coach Sean McVay said Sunday, per the Los Angeles Times.
Weddle was carted off the field in the second quarter in Charlotte after Panthers running back Christian McCaffrey made contact with Weddle's head while leaping over him.
Eric Weddle down injured after McCaffrey made contact with the safety's head leaping over him. pic.twitter.com/a8KU7c0jt5
— Sports Gifs & Videos (@Supreme_gifs) September 8, 2019
It was a scary scene as Weddle was motionless on the field for a few minutes before sitting up to be tended to by trainers. He was visibly bloodied and needed help standing before being taken to the locker room for further evaluation.
Eric Weddle with an awful head injury. Scary. #Rams pic.twitter.com/Ck3d4whFN8
— Ryan Parker (@TheRyanParker) September 8, 2019
LIVE: Eric Weddle pic.twitter.com/gX497lcdjG
— Alpha Omega Sports Picks (@alphaompicks) September 8, 2019

"When you lose somebody like Eric with what he means to our team — the communication, some of those things— it can be deflating," McVay said. "But I thought our guys did a great job handling it."
An official timetable for Weddle's recovery remains unknown, as does his availability for Week 2, though his status will be updated later this week.Weddle, 34, is in his first season with the Rams after spending the previous three with the Ravens. He initially was selected by the Chargers in the second round of the 2007 draft and remained with the team until 2016.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Has he had a past history of concussions? Look to see Rapp on the field more next week if Weddle is not available. The kid showed well for himself when he got his opportunities, Sunday.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I'd like to see Johnson move back to FS and Rapp come in to start at SS. I'm definitely bummed out that we won't be a full strength agains the 'aint's next week, as I thought Weddle would be a big help against that offense. Just can't see Weddle coming back from either injury before the game. Likely has staples in his scalp.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We need Weddle for this next game. His leadership and the comms are one thing, but also his tackling ability will be a huge factor and I expect Rapp to be on the field as well in a lot of nickel looks to help handle the quick passing game the Saints bring.

Getting him back is crucial for this one. Win this game and we're one up on the Saints for home field plus have the head to head. It's as big an early game as it gets.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I just dont know of a cut like that healing in a week. He obviously needs stitches and where it's located it would get reopened every time his helmet got his. I don't see him coming back next week. It might be a 4 week injury due to the fact that it needs time to heal up. They might have some way of keeping it closed but its not something I'm aware of...

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I just dont know of a cut like that healing in a week. He obviously needs stitches and where it's located it would get reopened every time his helmet got his. I don't see him coming back next week. It might be a 4 week injury due to the fact that it needs time to heal up. They might have some way of keeping it closed but its not something I'm aware of...
Weddle is a badass. He'll have them slap something over it and he'll be a go.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I was thinking the same thing. Even if he wasn't concussed (he did lay there for a while), you'd think they'd worry about that reopening if aggravated in game.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
We need Weddle for this next game. His leadership and the comms are one thing, but also his tackling ability will be a huge factor and I expect Rapp to be on the field as well in a lot of nickel looks to help handle the quick passing game the Saints bring.

Getting him back is crucial for this one. Win this game and we're one up on the Saints for home field plus have the head to head. It's as big an early game as it gets.
I have seen enough of "Whiffing Marqui" to last me till he is entering UFA'cy in March 2020. We need safety EW in the worst way when facing Brees, WR's Ginn Jr.& Mike Thomas, TE Jared Cook & (who always plays excellent against the Rams) Alvin Kamara. Even 3rd string QB Tayson Hill always has big days against the Rams.

Safety Marqui Christian who is in his 4th Ram season was seriously disappointing yesterday. Snead drafted two safeties this past draft. I would hope that one of these rookie safeties can forced Marqui Christian way down in defensive snaps.

If EW is not cleared to play this next week then I would hope for changes where Rapp moves into the safety post with JJ III. Wade then utilizes Travin Howard in Rapp's role @ ILB'er in passing situations

Last edited:

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter
Maybe someone with a medical / trauma background would know more, but it seems the concussion aspect of the injury is the one to be concerned about. All the blood from the cut looks gruesome but may be more superficial. I feel that if he clears concussion protocol he'll play next week.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
One big advantage we have for the saints game is we are at home. They don't do well at our house.

As far as weddle is concerned, i hope you guys are right and he's ready to go. Christian is just terrible, i don't know why he's even on the 53.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
If Weddle had not gone out of the game it could have been a blowout IMO, in spite of the special team miscues (Special teams really disappointing). Christian was serviceable at best. Rams Definitely need Weddle against the saints. If Christian starts against the Saints the offense better be ready to put up more points.

If EW is not cleared to play this next week then I would hope for changes where Rapp moves into the safety post with JJ III. Wade then utilizes Travin Howard in Rapp's role @ ILB'er in passing situations

I definitely like this idea too if EW cannot go against the Saints.

Turducken

Starter
The cut on his head was weird. From the instant replay it didn't look like anything foreign cut him, so it must have been party of his helmet. Maybe he had the defensive headset and it was jammed into his scalp?

bluecoconuts

Legend
Maybe someone with a medical / trauma background would know more, but it seems the concussion aspect of the injury is the one to be concerned about. All the blood from the cut looks gruesome but may be more superficial. I feel that if he clears concussion protocol he'll play next week.

Head wounds bleed a lot due to all the blood vessels and tiny veins and such in our heads. So minor injuries will look more hardcore.

The concussion was definitely the more pressing issue to be careful about.

RamsFan4Life

Starter
Small scalp wounds tend to bleed a lot. I'm betting the concussion is the worry....not the cut

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It's as big an early game as it gets.

Indeed Week 2 and it's almost a must win.

If the Rams are going to go back to the SB every little thing counts. Having home field is more than just a little thing too!

Like @bluecoconuts said small cuts can look really bad. Think boxing..........a small cut is a huge hindrance because it bleeds a lot and can end up in the eyes.