We will be looking for a new OC this off season.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Exactly. A better OC and yet as a HC? Not so much.

My point was being when Pat Shurmer was here...he took crap just as much as Schotty is now. Now he's OCin in Philly. No one cares b/c they are winning.

It's too easy to blame the OC and want the team to replace him.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
My point was being when Pat Shurmer was here...he took crap just as much as Schotty is now. Now he's OCin in Philly. No one cares b/c they are winning.

It's too easy to blame the OC and want the team to replace him.
Yeah. I've made it pretty clear what I thought of the offensive play calling this year. I definitely thought it got better but.... My point on Schurmer was that he got a HC gig after a pretty mediocre OC job. That didn't turn out well for the Browns now did it? He is clearly a better OC than HC.

And to the thought that no one cares because they are winning? I wouldn't have been dumping on Schotty if we were winning either. The fact is that our defense progressed much better than our offense. Once defenses were able to stop the run even a little bit, we were toast. And our running game was WAY too easy to defense IMO. If our offense was even decent in many of those games, our defense was good enough for us to win.

I think it's a moot point anyway as I don't think Schotty is going anywhere. I'd be amazed if someone hires him as a HC after the past two years.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think Schotty stays.

I don't think his 2013 resume gets him a serious opportunity. Now... After 2014 he'll be a hot candidate. :heh:

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
The only guy I'd want if Schotty left, would be Norv Turner, who will likely be available after the debacle in Cleveland.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
I think Schotty stays.

I don't think his 2013 resume gets him a serious opportunity. Now... After 2014 he'll be a hot candidate. :heh:

You are right, he's not going anywhere. Who'd want him? He's not a good OC; no imagination, predictable play calling, lousy play design an unable or unwilling to adjust. I believe we are stuck with him. Could we get lucky again and have some team take our garbage like Shurmur? That would be a dream

Name
JP
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Schotty isn't going anywhere for a while. He had a hard enough time getting another OC job after the Jets ran him out of NY. He does fit what Fisher likes, so we have to live with him and hope he improves.

I know Im in the minority here, but I thought the offense performed very well this year given the circumstances. I hope he stays around, because the offense we had the second half of the year would have had much better numbers had Sam been there.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I think that Schotty is going to get HC job. He had interviews last year, I think he gets one this year.

Are you sure he had interviews last year?
I recall him taking himself off the market early on.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I posted this on another board earlier last week. Wanted to get some thoughts on it from people here.

What Schotty has done this season has been nothing short of spectacular. The offense has preformed admirably with a lot of key pieces out with injury, or just under performing. He will get a head coaching job somewhere this off season. We will have to find a new OC, so lets look at who is available, and some that might become available.

Jason Garret - If they lose next week, he will be looking for work. Some guys just aren't meant to be head coaches. He is still a very bright offensive mind. I would be interested to see if the Rams would pursue him this off season.

Gary Kubiak - I know that some have already posted about not wanting him here, but doesn't he run the type off offense that we have been thriving with? Run first, then play action off that? Also, maybe he could help bring over Andre Johnson and even Schaub. Yes I said it, even though this post is about coaches I think Matt Schaub could be a guy we get cheap to be a solid back up and someone that could step in if Sam isn't ready early on in the season.

Joe Philbin - I think he could be a guy that gets axed if they lose this week. They have had a golden opportunity this year to make the playoffs, in a very down AFC and the weakest division maybe in the NFL. I dont know if he has any ties to Fisher, but I would bet he gets a call if there is an opening for us.

Mike Tice - I think he is available right now since being fired from the Bears. Not really sure if there would be any interest from the Rams, just throwing out some names for discussion.

Bill Callhan - (See Jason Garret ^^^) If they lose this week, there will be house cleaning in Dallas. Callahan will also be available.

Kyle Shannahan - Says he doesn't want to work under his dad anymore, maybe he would want to come work with our up and coming offense.

Scott Linehan - This would be pretty interesting, and would definitely be the most criticized move the Rams could make. He will most likely be available once Detroit fires everyone.

The Rams will have their pick of the OCs available, because it will be a sought after job IMO. There will be a lot of these coaches that would love to work with all of the young talent we have on this team. Plus high draft picks sure to be used to fill a couple more of these holes. It will be interesting to see what the Rams do this off season.

I don't think he'll get a HC job. But if he does, I think Norv Turner or Hue Jackson will most likely be the hire.

As far as the guys mentioned, I don't like any of them except maybe Kyle Shanahan. Hell no to Scott Linehan. We don't need anymore Vanillahan.

Name
JP
Norv Turner would be a great hire if Schotty hits the bricks

I like that idea of getting Norv. When I made this post a week ago, I didn't think there was any chance that the Browns would clean house.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Norv Turner would mean a new offense for SB and crew. Granted it's a far better one.

Name
JP

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I think that Schotty is going to get HC job. He had interviews last year, I think he gets one this year.

With all due respect here and unless it's at the collegiate level at Wossamotta U IMO Schottenheimer will not get a sniff as a Head Coach!

Name
JP
Uhhhhhh nope.

That article states they "will" interview him that week. Not that they did.
And it's confirmed by that lousy hack Schefter who's a rumor monger and not even a party involved.

Nope.

Okay.

But I guess the point would be either way, that teams have wanted to interview him in the past, as recently as last year.

I don't see why this year would change any of that. The offense was pretty amazing when you consider the injuries, and the fact that Kellen Clemens was our QB.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What has Shotty accomplished as a OC that would make him a hot commodity to help a loosing team??

Name
JP
What has Shotty accomplished as a OC that would make him a hot commodity to help a loosing team??

My point with Schotty is that our offense over achieved this year, especially with a lot of injuries and moving pieces.

Of course our O didn't set the world on fire, but he made the most with what he had and did a terrific job IMO.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Okay.

But I guess the point would be either way, that teams have wanted to interview him in the past, as recently as last year.

I don't see why this year would change any of that. The offense was pretty amazing when you consider the injuries, and the fact that Kellen Clemens was our QB.

Good enough.
And you do have a point. Someone wanted to speak with him, that's for sure.