Watson to Cleveland - Fully guaranteed 5 year $230M contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Screw Deshaun Watson!!!!! RAMS ALL DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
The language I heard described this afternoon sounds like the conduct policy is one of those things that is indisputable and the NFLPA has no chance in court. Plus the language in the decision from the judge makes it no doubt that the policy which the NFLPA signed off on in the CBA was violated.

I’m looking for Watson to be out the entire year.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
The language I heard described this afternoon sounds like the conduct policy is one of those things that is indisputable and the NFLPA has no chance in court. Plus the language in the decision from the judge makes it no doubt that the policy which the NFLPA signed off on in the CBA was violated.

There's actually a downside for Watson to take this to court. If he plays out this year under his 2022 salary and then the NFL prevails before next season, he misses out on $46M instead of $690K. That would be hilarious.

It sounds like they would just push his contract out a year. Not as funny as I'd hoped.

WestCoastRam

Legend

Yeah, that's what I read, the appeal process was agreed to in the CBA and that appeal will be heard by Goodell or someone of his choosing (hahahahahaha).

She ruled on the merits that he's guilty, they'll ask simply for a different punishment. Not sure NFLPA will have much to stand on in federal court as this is all part of an agreed upon contract. They'll try to argue breach of contract, I guess. Not sure that works. Previous players took things to court but that was before this CBA where an arbitrator was put in place (an arbitrator that could be overruled by GOODELL!!!)

BUT... if Watson's camp thinks that fighting a 12 game suspension (let's say that's it) pushes the suspension into 2023, he'll start loosing some REAL game checks. He may just roll over and take it. There's a scenario where fighting this could cost him quite a bit more.

And interestingly enough... there's some talk of NFL mandating treatment.

If he had just taken the negotiation, it would have been 12 games and a fine. Now treatment will most likely be involved. Probably as it should be.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't think he will fight a one year. How do you win doing that. Take the sentence and start rebuilding your image.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Um ... uh ... somehow I just don't think someone fully thought this through:

OK ... Now everything makes sense.

I thought Watson chose Cleveland only after the Browns increased his contract and fully guaranteed it.

This Convention must have been the Kicker that sweetened, and ultimately closed the deal.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis