Was McVay premature in bailing on Goff to trade for Stafford?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Here’s my contention, I guess.

But it requires some assumptions.

IF the Rams keep Goff and IF McVay coaches him to his strengths rather than forcing him to play in McVay’s preferred O. (Like the lightly regarded Campbell has done)

And IF Rams used those two 1sts and that 3rd wisely in addition to their other picks…

THEN, imo, Rams would be in a much better position today than they are right now. Might or might not have that Lombardi but the view of their future for next 10 years would be considerably brighter than it now is. Top 5 QB in his prime with a loaded roster? Are you KIDDING me?

Sigh…

Memphis Ram

Legend
No

1727881822572.png

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

IF the Rams keep Goff and IF McVay coaches him to his strengths rather than forcing him to play in McVay’s preferred O. (Like the lightly regarded Campbell has done)

And IF Rams used those two 1sts and that 3rd wisely in addition to their other picks…

THEN, imo, Rams would be in a much better position today than they are right now. Might or might not have that Lombardi but the view of their future for next 10 years would be considerably brighter than it now is. Top 5 QB in his prime with a loaded roster? Are you KIDDING me?

Sigh…
Seriously, without the Lombardi, who cares?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Trading for Stafford led us to a Super Bowl win. It was the right call. I hope Goff continues to do well in Detroit. I felt he never got the credit he deserved here. Not an elite QB, but he's at least above average.

Ellard80

Legend
Goff had 3 td and 4 int before last games performance - figured this post was coming after his game against Seattle.

Goff is a good player - but he is not Stafford's level.

But not there is like a giant gap between them or anything...

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Trading Goff for Stafford was the right move and paid off in a Super Bowl victory. Price was just a bit too high though. Felt Snead could have done the deal for Goff and a First rounder with a little more back and forth. Two firsts and a third was a bit much. That's the only quibble I have on the trade.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame

Sigh…
So in this scenario the falling out between Goff and McVay is all McVay's fault. I don't think so. Goff got to a SB. Got his big paycheck. Got his model girlfriend and then just kind of plateaued. We all know the personnel around him, mostly the Oline was thin, but the attempts to coach him to compensate for that were not working. Rumors have it he wasn't giving enough time to learning what was needed. He was secure in his position and his attention was elsewhere. I think Goff is better now than he would have been with the Rams
Sometimes a person needs loose something to realize he is taking it for granted and waisting his opportunity. This was a shock to Goff and without it there is no telling whether or not he would be playing this good for us now. One thing is for certain. There would be no SB trophy in 21 with him here.

You are down now because the team isn't doing what you hoped. Nothing says you wouldn't still be down if Goff was here. Hell McVay might have retired.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Trading Goff for Stafford was the right move and paid off in a Super Bowl victory. Price was just a bit too high though. Felt Snead could have done the deal for Goff and a First rounder with a little more back and forth. Two firsts and a third was a bit much. That's the only quibble I have on the trade.
But then Stafford would probably be in San Francisco. So.....

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's one of those rare trades where both teams won, at least Detroit has become noticeably better. Could we have won if McVay built differently around Goff? Perhaps but coach wanted a change and he has a trophy to back him up now.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
What Stafford did on the final play before the game winning kick in Tampa. What Stafford did in the 4th quarter against the 49ers. What Stafford did on the final drive in the Superbowl. I doubt Goff does any of that. Talk to me about it when Goff wins a Superbowl.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Imagine what Stafford would be doing and success he’d have in Detroit with that OL and offensive weapons.
Goff has improved, but the guy is a system QB. Without plenty of time in the pocket, he is a mess.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
It's one of those rare trades where both teams won, at least Detroit has become noticeably better. Could we have won if McVay built differently around Goff? Perhaps but coach wanted a change and he has a trophy to back him up now.
Detriot indeed got noticeably better, from NFCC perineal basement dweller to playoff contender.
But Rams did, too.... From perineal playoff contender to SB winner.
So yeah, a win-win :D
I think Goff had started tuning McVay out. Plus too much blurring of lines in the LA social scene. I think we lost Gurley to that, for sure; "just hand me the d*** ball" Gurley was way more interested in building his social media "empire", which he admitted to as much recently.
Kick Goff to Detroit, now he's gotta re-focus on football. So in a way, this trade needed to happen, for both parties' sake.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Sigh…
Stupid question. No.

Now quit wringing your hands and polish that Lombardi.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
What Stafford did on the final play before the game winning kick in Tampa. What Stafford did in the 4th quarter against the 49ers. What Stafford did on the final drive in the Superbowl. I doubt Goff does any of that. Talk to me about it when Goff wins a Superbowl.
200w (5).gif

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was/am a fan of Goff. Hated the trade. Always thought Stafford was over rated.
Was prepared to be critical of Stafford however it quickly became quite evident that Stafford had the extra something

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Am I the only one wondering why Goff was struggling those last 2 years under McVay but now is an elite QB under Campbell?

if McVay is such an offensive genius, how could that happen?

And what does that say about McVay’s ability to coach to his players strengths rather than requiring the player to function within McVay’s preferred system?

Think about it before you post a knee jerk reaction, please.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I was/am a fan of Goff. Hated the trade. Always thought Stafford was over rated.
Was prepared to be critical of Stafford however it quickly became quite evident that Stafford had the extra something
I think my first comment when we made the trade was "I think I'm gonna be sick" or something.

I loved Stafford and was bummed when we missed drafting him by one shitty season. However, I loved Goff and was afraid we were jettisoning a very talented, young player for a broken QB. I was partially correct. Stafford brought an element to the team that Goff just couldn't. No one can convince me that we would have won that SB with any other QB not named Mahomes.

Still think we have the better QB, but Goff is damn good in that system, with that OL. Then again, you can make the case that a lot of QB's would look damn good if plugged in there. They remind me of the 2018 Rams actually.