Want a center early in the draft? You'll probably be disappointed.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I’d be very happy with a good Center. I’m not even talking great. Good is much better than what they have. Then draft a guy that can compete at guard and move to center in two years and cut the vet to save cap. Meinerz is perfect for this imo.

Meinerz would be a great catch for us, although I don't believe he'll be around where we pick in the 3'rd. I also can't see us using our 2'nd round pick on a center, someone who may not start for a season, not with so many other needs at DE, Edge OLB, etc. I'd rather have a rookie DE than a rookie Center, and leave free agency to a Center & OLB. jmo.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Meinerz would be a great catch for us, although I don't believe he'll be around where we pick in the 3'rd. I also can't see us using our 2'nd round pick on a center, someone who may not start for a season, not with so many other needs at DE, Edge OLB, etc. I'd rather have a rookie DE than a rookie Center, and leave free agency to a Center & OLB. jmo.

This is where I am too.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Cumulatively Center has been the constant need on this team since Sullivan. And Snead has mentioned Centers he likes several years in a row that he liked in the draft. ( I still think he was planning on Cushenberry last year when we saw his Oh shit face).

Shuie3225

Starter
The way Meinerz has moved up the board, I doubt he'll be available to us where we pick in the 3'rd, and this also raises the question of who starts at Center opening day.
Your earlier post really just intensifies my interest in trading Kupp for Ragnow, Goff should like it just as much as Stafford would, and Detroit has plenty of good draft picks to grab another Center. jmo.

The attention Meinerz has been getting has him likely drafted even before 57. There have been rumors this week some teams have him as the top center on their board and he could go late 1st round.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll only be disappointed if there isn't a MUCH better answer at center than Austin Blythe....Draft or FA, I don't give a crap. Just get it done.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah I fear Meinerz has risen past our range in round 2 but never know. I just drafted him at 101 but of course we could never get that lucky in a real draft.

This is probably my best mock, had the choice of OT or C in round 4 and took the tackle over Myers because I like Christensen as a dev option. PFF's is the most fun to use because you get some really nice fallers. I mean maybe I'm biased with Griffin but getting him round 6 surprised me. Also we have really nice OT options at 52 on almost every run. Too bad we can't really count on any of that translating to the real draft oh well.

View attachment 44241

Glad you don’t inspire to be better than a C average. I remember you wanting all those OLineman in 2017.
The Rams selected ZERO!!
2 Centers & a OT. Maybe The Rams create an Offense with 7 lineman & 2 WR’s. Change the TE everytime with a
Lineman reporting to the Ref.

To be honest. Now a days I don’t get into the draft until after the new season starts.At least that way you have a better understanding of the direction McSneads going to go.
I think a DE/OLB is going to be The Rams top selection.Then again what is the roster going to look like ? If Blythe is brought back you can scratch Center of your list completely.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Don't forget last offseason. I wanted linemen then too and they selected zero. :cheers2:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
download.jpg

download (7).jpg

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I don’t think we want to find our center in the draft. Sign someone proven.
Totally agree. Great research. The issue is it appears for the most part all the really good centers came from the first round or possibly mid 2nd. We don't have that draft pick. This talent needs to come from FA.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams seem to strongly prefer continuity over change at center (yahoo.com)
Rams seem to strongly prefer continuity over change at center

Cameron DaSilva
Sun, March 14, 2021,
65123484d84ab8167a70e7bd39223f5a

Since Sean McVay took over as head coach in 2017, the Los Angeles Rams have had three different starters at center in four years. There’s been very little stability at the position, which is one of the most important spots on offense.

John Sullivan helped stabilize the line in 2017 but he struggled a bit the following year, causing the Rams to move on. Brian Allen then stepped in as the starter in 2019, but he started just nine games before suffering a significant knee injury.

That’s when Austin Blythe took over, and he’s held the starting role for the last season and a half. Blythe’s tenure in L.A. could come to an end soon, though, as he’s scheduled to be a free agent this week. McVay emphasized how valuable Blythe is to the Rams when he spoke to the media this offseason, and Les Snead similarly pointed to the importance of continuity at center.

Given the Rams’ system, Snead says it’s difficult to project how a rookie or free-agent signee will adapt in McVay’s offense. Brian Allen could step in for Blythe if he leaves in free agency, but Snead didn’t make that point with much conviction.

“Yeah, I think that if we’re not able to re-sign Austin, he moves on, I do think that’s one position, where the good thing with Brian Allen – similar to Joe (Noteboom), he’s actually started for us and played. The key that we don’t necessarily know with Brian is, how will he play, how will he play post-injury?” Snead said last week. “That was pretty serious injury that has gone through, and he’s done a heck of a job rehabbing it. That’s always going to be something he’s got to do. But I do think in the center, because it’s such a nuanced position of almost being the second QB on the field, it’s hard just to project a rookie can do it. It’s even hard just to project a player that may be with another NFL team can do it just because they will still have to learn our system and still at that point have to quickly process football within our system. So, a little bit harder to project them than other positions.”

All indications point to the Rams attempting to re-sign Blythe. McVay values him, he knows the offense and he can play any spot on the interior of the line. And as Snead said, the Rams know what they have in Blythe because he’s been a starter for two-plus seasons. With another free agent, the Rams don’t necessarily know how he’ll do in McVay’s system.

Don’t be surprised if the Rams find a way to re-sign Blythe for the second straight offseason.:censored:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Maybe Blythe was the primary reader of the defense for our previous QB?

Could be Snead & McVay figure Blythe might now be able to finally concentrate fully on performing normal center blocking for the offense instead of being involved with so many QB duties in the past?

Never know about these things Snead might have accidentally let something out without thinking.....

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Could be Snead & McVay figure Blythe might be able to finally concentrate fully on blocking for the offense instead of being the 2nd QB from this season on?

Please allow him to do his reading from the comfort of another team.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Could be Snead & McVay figure Blythe might now be able to finally concentrate fully on performing normal center blocking for the offense instead of being involved with so many QB duties in the past?

Never know about these things Snead might have accidentally let something out without thinking.....

Or, Snead figures that they can't fit a new FA center under the cap and they can sign Blythe because he will be the cheapest Center available and he'd be the safety net in case a drafted Center struggles to pick things up quickly.

This is my prediction, especially since the Rams coach Carberry has had two virtual meetings with Meinerz and they had other centers high on their boards in the last few drafts.

As for the talking heads, I don't believe much of what they say. Mostly they guess based on bits and pieces of cryptic answers given by GMs and Coaches. A few years ago they had Demby looking like a third round or fourth round steal.
Here's how it goes
Reporter - "Meinerz is a buzz worthy name, Lets ask every GM we talk with what they they think of Meinerz." "Coach, what do you think of Meinerz?".
Coach -" Uhh we really like him". (Patented answer for every prospect).
Reporter - " would you take him in round 1
Coach - "Uhh sure why not."
Reporter -"Is he your top rated center?"
Coach - "Uhh sure why not"

Nobody is telling any reporter who their top rated anything is. We just heard Snead talking about that very thing. How many favorite players from the coming draft did he reveal?

For all we know the two virtual meetings with Meinerz could mean they like a different Center and are throwing people off the trail.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Rams seem to strongly prefer continuity over change at center (yahoo.com)
Rams seem to strongly prefer continuity over change at center

Cameron DaSilva
Sun, March 14, 2021,
65123484d84ab8167a70e7bd39223f5a

Since Sean McVay took over as head coach in 2017, the Los Angeles Rams have had three different starters at center in four years. There’s been very little stability at the position, which is one of the most important spots on offense.

John Sullivan helped stabilize the line in 2017 but he struggled a bit the following year, causing the Rams to move on. Brian Allen then stepped in as the starter in 2019, but he started just nine games before suffering a significant knee injury.

That’s when Austin Blythe took over, and he’s held the starting role for the last season and a half. Blythe’s tenure in L.A. could come to an end soon, though, as he’s scheduled to be a free agent this week. McVay emphasized how valuable Blythe is to the Rams when he spoke to the media this offseason, and Les Snead similarly pointed to the importance of continuity at center.

Given the Rams’ system, Snead says it’s difficult to project how a rookie or free-agent signee will adapt in McVay’s offense. Brian Allen could step in for Blythe if he leaves in free agency, but Snead didn’t make that point with much conviction.

“Yeah, I think that if we’re not able to re-sign Austin, he moves on, I do think that’s one position, where the good thing with Brian Allen – similar to Joe (Noteboom), he’s actually started for us and played. The key that we don’t necessarily know with Brian is, how will he play, how will he play post-injury?” Snead said last week. “That was pretty serious injury that has gone through, and he’s done a heck of a job rehabbing it. That’s always going to be something he’s got to do. But I do think in the center, because it’s such a nuanced position of almost being the second QB on the field, it’s hard just to project a rookie can do it. It’s even hard just to project a player that may be with another NFL team can do it just because they will still have to learn our system and still at that point have to quickly process football within our system. So, a little bit harder to project them than other positions.”

All indications point to the Rams attempting to re-sign Blythe. McVay values him, he knows the offense and he can play any spot on the interior of the line. And as Snead said, the Rams know what they have in Blythe because he’s been a starter for two-plus seasons. With another free agent, the Rams don’t necessarily know how he’ll do in McVay’s system.

Don’t be surprised if the Rams find a way to re-sign Blythe for the second straight offseason.:censored:
For all we know the two virtual meetings with Meinerz could mean they like a different Center and are throwing people off the trail.

All of this noise could be just that. Diversions.

The Rams always surprise me, but unlike years before... the surprises make sense in the end. (y)

dang

Legend
“Centers....we don’t need no stinkin’ centers” McSnead.

“We have a need. A need for speed” McSnead.