VENT Vent Thread - Rams/Packers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
The smiley face in the like reaction? Can you get it while posting? What about other emoji's, I like using straight face and sad face too....
1699285020799.png

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
The smiley face in the like reaction? Can you get it while posting? What about other emoji's, I like using straight face and sad face too....
Not sure if they are there but the gif is also a good option if you can't find it. For example, Rams fans watching yesterday's game ....
sad black and white GIF

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I haven't seen any indication of this, just projection of pissed-off fans.

Maybe I'm missing it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.. no way does this season's roster look like this with McVay in charge unless he was committed for at LEAST two seasons. At least.
Exactly. If a season like makes him want to bail, he would not be here right now. He knew what he was up against. He knew it would take a couple years to get back to what he's accustomed to. If he wasn't planning on seeing it through he woulda left after last season.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Jourdan's article after the game is concerning. Both Kupp and McVay said that GB effectively "fooled them" by dropping into coverages they hadn't seen on tape. So.....apparently adjusting to their tomfoolery was too much to ask. I mean, this was a 2-5 team.....

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Jourdan's article after the game is concerning. Both Kupp and McVay said that GB effectively "fooled them" by dropping into coverages they hadn't seen on tape. So.....apparently adjusting to their tomfoolery was too much to ask. I mean, this was a 2-5 team.....
Maybe they meant it fooled Rypien

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was particularly heated in the Vent discussion yesterday and apologize if my tone was abrasive to anyone.
Done venting, "On to Cincinnati"

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I was particularly heated in the Vent discussion yesterday and apologize if my tone was abrasive to anyone.
No worries @dieterbrock in the future hopefully the Rams can have a viable backup QB that actually gives them a chance to win games.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
All good, I actually don't mind it at all. Gotta let it out somewhere. Besides, shows me you give a damn and are a die hard Rams fan.

dang

Legend
We all got fooled into thinking the Rams were going to make an impact this season after the Shecocks and 69ers games.
Look at the Rams roster. If it weren’t for some highly impactful rookies this would be arguably the worst roster in the zNFL. On the other hand while McVay it appears he’s lost the team this year (poor execution, weak effort, low confidence, etc).
Give him this year to properly evaluate what he has, weed and seed the roster and amply build support for his cornerstones (Stafford, Donald, Kupp, EJones) before coming at him with pitchforks and torches. I know that’s what I’m going to do.

DeaconJones

Rookie
Benny Skow play call on 4th and inches. Maybe if he didn't slip on the turf it would have been closer. Delay of game (declined) to punt instead of kicking a field goal. Bizarre logic there. Why is Freeman getting less snaps than Henderson? Is Henderson that much better at pass blocking (hard for me to tell)?

Higher level - I wish the Rams would invest in good backup QBs. Every year, you know that if a Rams backup QB plays, there will be no TDs. I wish we would invest more in the OL and LBs. Going forward we will have a good opportunity to do that.

If only the bye had come one week earlier ...

Its all good. Go Rams! (cite: "Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python)

NYCRam

Rookie
I think we should invest in a Quarterback that can start in 17 games, then fill the backup slot via Draft and Free Agency.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yes, and a lot of that dead cap was due to financial mismanagement
Like, taking a dead cap hit when trading away Woods, then pissing away cap on Allen Robinson and doubling down by dumping him a minute later. The Rams were taking dead cap hits and escaped criticism because they were winning. Didnt make the dead cap a smart decision, they won in spite of it.
McVay was a god send, reversed the trend of losing, got us a SB win, but frankly now has the roster in a much worse position than the one he inherited
The Rams have been making dumb decisions with personnel and who to pay forever it seems. This goes way back. And it's a problem too, still is a problem even with an elite head coach in place in McVay. And what is also at play is that there's a timing at work when it comes to head coaches. Almost a rhythm to the hiring and firing cycles and how they align with the building of rosters.

I will say again that McVay is an elite head coach. We will miss him when he's gone, especially if Stan effs up the hire of his replacement. Also he will 100% go on to another team and apply all the lessons he has learned as head coach here with us to that other and fortunate new team.

But the damage done by their mistakes plus even their good signings and extensions have created a minefield of losses that McVay is currently navigating, and it would be naive to think that in this league even McVay might not end up losing his job due to the erosion of genius status from all the losing. Because as you alluded to what happens if Stafford gets hurt next year and we have to start a rookie QB? Well the answer is we will lose. Maybe a lot too, depending on how strong the defense is. The threat is real here.

Looking at our cornerstone positions they're still barren right now. LT, Blindside Edge, CB1, and QB only QB is filled and that is tenuous. And so all of this brings to a head the obviousness of one important thing, which is that if we're sitting in the draft with a high pick that's a really good time for McVay and the Rams to go their separate ways. For McVay he is freed from trying to grind through an NFL season with what might be another subpar roster, depending on how good the offseason is. For the Rams and Kroenke who are an elite franchise now in large part thanks to McVay they should be in the pole position for hiring whatever coach Stan fancies, because his deep pockets and willingness to stay in the background and support moves like dealing the QB he just paid are rare and great ownership qualities.

I'm not even calling for McVay's head here. Just observing that a natural break in that rhythm is coming up this offseason. Also he has a son and young family now. What happens when Amazon comes knocking with big money. This conversation is applicable and real I think. It is a possibility for sure, whether it's Amazon or even stars like AD and Stafford punching out to retirement etc.

Psycho_X

Legend
Overall, some of us thought playoffs were doable if the big 3 stayed healthy for 17 games. Well, started off with Kupp on IR and then Stafford not being the same since he hurt his hip and then add on his thumb now and this trajectory isn't surprising. If Stafford comes out of the bye week healthy'ish we will probably win more than we lose rest of the way. The Rams view of this season was apparent in the offseason... purge the old and bring in youth to season. If everything gels perfectly we might make some playoff noise but, as we know in the NFL, nothing is ever perfect due to injuries.

I'm going to enjoy the victories we get and hope all of our promising youth and veterans stay healthy rest of the way.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The Rams have been making dumb decisions with personnel and who to pay forever it seems. This goes way back. And it's a problem too, still is a problem even with an elite head coach in place in McVay. And what is also at play is that there's a timing at work when it comes to head coaches. Almost a rhythm to the hiring and firing cycles and how they align with the building of rosters.

I will say again that McVay is an elite head coach. We will miss him when he's gone, especially if Stan effs up the hire of his replacement. Also he will 100% go on to another team and apply all the lessons he has learned as head coach here with us to that other and fortunate new team.

But the damage done by their mistakes plus even their good signings and extensions have created a minefield of losses that McVay is currently navigating, and it would be naive to think that in this league even McVay might not end up losing his job due to the erosion of genius status from all the losing. Because as you alluded to what happens if Stafford gets hurt next year and we have to start a rookie QB? Well the answer is we will lose. Maybe a lot too, depending on how strong the defense is. The threat is real here.

Looking at our cornerstone positions they're still barren right now. LT, Blindside Edge, CB1, and QB only QB is filled and that is tenuous. And so all of this brings to a head the obviousness of one important thing, which is that if we're sitting in the draft with a high pick that's a really good time for McVay and the Rams to go their separate ways. For McVay he is freed from trying to grind through an NFL season with what might be another subpar roster, depending on how good the offseason is. For the Rams and Kroenke who are an elite franchise now in large part thanks to McVay they should be in the pole position for hiring whatever coach Stan fancies, because his deep pockets and willingness to stay in the background and support moves like dealing the QB he just paid are rare and great ownership qualities.

I'm not even calling for McVay's head here. Just observing that a natural break in that rhythm is coming up this offseason. Also he has a son and young family now. What happens when Amazon comes knocking with big money. This conversation is applicable and real I think. It is a possibility for sure, whether it's Amazon or even stars like AD and Stafford punching out to retirement etc.
I don't see him leaving, but I've been wrong before.
My logic is that I don't believe he would've come back for this year, with this roster, if he was coming back for one more shot. No way.
I think he's given them at least two full years of commitment and that they're 100% in on the next two seasons. I won't be shocked if future draft picks are traded away, etc.. to get the roster as strong as possible for those two seasons.

As for the roster.. I do see some positives. Yes, they need to upgrade LT, for sure.. but they have, at worst, RFA control of Alaric Jackson next year.. and he's, imo, really good depth.. and maybe a starter at RG or RT. They have a really good edge rookie.. they have a decent Vet corner in Witherspoon.. I think they're closer, in some ways, than it may appear.

I think the question becomes what's the level of competency? And how do they get there? With a healthy roster and just slightly better luck/playcalling/decision making.. this team is 5 and 4. Maybe even 6-3.

Do they have the resources to get where they need to be in this offseason? I do think so. But they'll have to be right in a very high percentage of their decisions.. or it will fall apart.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
Way I see it - this is another season washed out, at the end of October....
My philosophical self, says that is probably true for half of the teams right now anyway being such a competitive damn league.
Not that this makes me feel any better about it losing. :crying:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Way I see it - this is another season washed out, at the end of October

OK but are you surprised?

Given the off-season moves and roster decisions, what Management said throughout the process, the salary cap situation, the current roster talent and how the Rams have handled in-season moves, were your expectations high?

Status
Not open for further replies.