[Updated] CBS / Romo / ESPN / TNF Broadcast Crews 2020

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The last part caught my eye; about Alex Smith being touted for the booth after his career. I didn’t know that.

HOW ESPN GOT TO ITS EXPECTED MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL TRIO

As sources told Outkick earlier today, ESPN is finalizing plans with Steve Levy, Louis Riddick, and Brian Griese for the job. Jim Miller first tweeted he heard the decision.

This offseason, ESPN went big-game hunting to fill the booth with QBs. It tried to lure talents with millions and millions — and, for Tony Romo, additional millions — of dollars. The network took aggressive swings at Romo, Peyton Manning, and Drew Brees (for a deal when he retires). If it were a baseball inning, ESPN’s first three batters struck out swinging.

Knowing Booger McFarland could not return, and that the audience had turned on Joe Tessitore (more on that later), ESPN moved to its backup plans. Riddick, Griese, and Dan Orlovsky emerged as options at analyst. Sources instantly referred to Steve Levy as the frontrunner to call Monday Night Football. Due to uncertainties with the college football season, Kirk Herbstreit and Chris Fowler were discussed.

Ultimately, given the options, ESPN made the right decision.

Griese is more polished in the booth than Orlovsky. While Orlovsky likely would’ve done well, he was a risk. If it didn’t work, it would derail his crucial, built-up momentum. Instead, Orlovsky will focus on a revamped NFL Live with Laura Rutledge, Mina Kimes, Marcus Spears, and Keyshawn Johnson.

On college games, Herbstreit is a star. Like Orlovsky, there’s a risk-reward argument to be had. With some semblance of a college football season expected, pulling double duty would’ve stretched Herbstreit thin.

Griese is solid and has limited bust potential. If he were a prospect he would be high-floor, low-ceiling. Riddick is one of the network’s top football analysts. His impressive showing at the NFL Draft made his case. Jason Witten and Booger McFarland were a disaster. McFarland, alone, wasn’t any better. Riddick and Griese are a sure upgrade.

Levy takes over for Tessitore, who got a bad deal. Tessitore’s blame for the past two seasons far outweighs the amount he’s reasonable for. Paired with the two worst primetime NFL color commentators anyone can remember, Tessitore was in an unwinnable position. Levy is a safe pick; he’ll do well navigating a three-person booth.

Ideally, this booth can make it a year without widespread rumors. Last year, the year-long, in-season Romo talks loomed over the booth like a black cloud on a trip to the park. This concern won’t go away. It won’t be Romo, but there’s Philip Rivers, who could retire after this season. Brees’ deal set a precedent. In the next few years, could Alex Smith receive a similar offer? Industry experts see Smith, who has played for key franchises, both AFC and NFC, as a future star in the booth. It’s unclear, however, if Smith has broadcasting aspirations when he retires.

The expected trio will inherit a unique set of circumstances. Due to COVID-19, the stadiums could be empty, players could miss games last minute, and there’s the threat of an outbreak impacting future games. Additionally, the truncated offseason should hurt the quality of matchups early on.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Saw a program on Alex Smith last night regarding his last injury and the infection he got. His leg, what a mess. Could have cost him his life let alone his leg. Poor bloke seemed like a decent character hope he gets a job commentating.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like Steve Levy, that's an upgrade and Brian Griese is very good and I like Riddick so all seems to be good. IMO, the author wasn't wrong about Tessitore getting a bad deal on who he was paired with, however, I felt the football knowledge was lacking and you don't take somebody doing boxing and put him in the Monday Night football booth as the play by play guy, Levy is seasoned and will make a huge difference.

WillasDad

Rookie
Name
WillasDad
Boring names. Looks like a kick the can down the road. Probably going after bigger names next year.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Commentators are for the casual fans and is needed. They can also add to the emotions of the game if they’re good. Romo’s knowledge of the game is valuable.

LOL drop the high and mighty BS. Casual fans? Games are much more interesting and fun to watch with a good broadcast team, no matter your 'expertise'. It's very annoying to listen to guys like Booger make stupid comments all game long. It's like watching the game and the dumbest, most annoying guy in the neighborhood stops by and sits down next to you.

I think we can all agree that Michael Thomas isn't a deep thinker.

I actually was pondering how he could have gotten through a single college course. Then I remembered he went to Ohio State.

Last edited:

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
LOL drop the high and mighty BS. Casual fans? Games are much more interesting and fun to watch with a good broadcast team, no matter your 'expertise'. It's very annoying to listen to guys like Booger make stupid comments all game long. It's like watching the game and the dumbest, most annoying guy in the neighborhood stops by and sits down next to you.

Umm ok? Cool story bro.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Tessitore was in a tough spot but he did little to distinguish himself either. The best guys make it seem natural like they really are excited, with Tessitore it seemed manufactured to me.