Uni Question!!!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...d-yellow-uniforms-more-often-but-nfl-says-no/

Rams want to wear blue and yellow uniforms more often, but NFL says no

Since the Rams moved back to Los Angeles, questions have raged about which uniforms they should wear: The blue and white of Merlin Olsen in the 1960s? The blue and yellow of Eric Dickerson in the 1980s? The blue and gold of the St. Louis years? Some combination?

The Rams are working on a permanent answer, but in the meantime they’d like to wear the Dickerson-style throwbacks more. The NFL, however, has other ideas.

Rams COO Kevin Demoff says the team has asked the NFL for permission to wear the blue and yellow throwbacks more often, but the NFL limited the Rams to wearing them twice last season. Demoff said he’s working on explaining to the league office that the fans would prefer those uniforms.

“We have spent the year educating them on our fan base,” Demoff told the Los Angeles Times. “We forwarded them all of the fan complaints, the emails we get, so I think they’re well aware of our fans’ preferences.”

Demoff said the Navy blue jerseys the Rams have worn aren’t anyone’s favorite.

“It was always with the idea that we’d be able to revisit it during the offseason when there’s more time to plan,” he said. “Hopefully, they recognize the challenge we have and appreciate the connection the fan base has to the blue and yellow. If we can avoid wearing our Navy jerseys next year, we will.”

It’s a bit odd that the NFL won’t let teams wear whatever uniforms they want, but it appears that the Rams still have some work to do to convince the league to let them wear those Dickerson-style uniforms on a full-time basis.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams work on changing uniforms, but because of NFL rules don't expect to see anything soon
Gary Klein

May 11, 2018

http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-uniforms-20180511-story.html

Cornerbacks Marcus Peters, Aqib Talib, defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh and receiver Brandin Cooks will provide the Rams a new star-studded look on the field during the upcoming NFL season.

Barring changes from the NFL, however, fans will see the new players and their teammates in uniforms that have stirred controversy since the Rams returned to Los Angeles before the 2016 season.

While the Tennessee Titans, Miami Dolphins and Jacksonville Jaguars will sport redesigned uniforms this season, Kevin Demoff, the Rams chief operating officer and vice president for football operations, said the Rams would don the same combinations as last season, when the Rams won the NFC West and advanced to the playoffs for the first time since 2004.

Demoff said the Rams and Nike have worked together the last few months about starting the process for a redesigned uniform and that the Rams probably would make an announcement about a timeline in the coming weeks.By the end of the offseason, our fans will know what the timeline and process will be and how to get involved in the jersey process," Demoff said.

Since their return to Southern California after a near two-decade absence, the Rams have been planning a major rebrand, including uniforms. The original target was 2019, to coincide with a move into their new Inglewood stadium. But the stadium opening has been delayed until 2020, so the Rams will decide by the end of this spring whether to introduce redesigned uniforms in 2019 or 2020, Demoff said.

Rams had blue and white uniforms in the mid-1960s and then changed to blue, yellow and white in the '70s. The St. Louis Rams' colors were blue, gold and white.The Rams' home uniform last season was a white and blue jersey with gold accents, white pants with a navy blue stripe, and a blue helmet with white horns and a white face mask.

The road uniform was most often the white jersey with blue pants that featured a white stripe. Against the Dallas Cowboys, the Rams wore blue jerseys and blue pants. Against the Jacksonville Jaguars, they wore blue jerseys and white pants. Demoff said that after surveying the Rams' schedule, he did not foresee a circumstance that would force the Rams to don blue jerseys on the road this season.

The Rams wore so-called "throwback" uniforms twice last season in home games against the Seattle Seahawks and San Francisco 49ers. The uniforms featured blue and yellow jerseys and yellow pants with a blue and white stripe.Demoff said the Rams would continue to talk to the league about trying to expand the number of times they can wear the blue and yellow "throwback" uniforms.The Rams requested to wear the uniforms for a Week 6 game at Jacksonville and for the home wild-card playoff game against the Atlanta Falcons, but the requests were denied, Demoff said.

We have spent the year educating them on our fan base," Demoff said of the NFL. "We forwarded them all of the fan complaints, the emails we get, so I think they're well aware of our fans' preferences."The Rams also wore yellow-dominant color-rush uniforms in Week 3 against the San Francisco 49ers at Levi's Stadium. Running back Todd Gurley, for one, is a fan of the ensemble, which he described last season as "something different."

"Obviously just generic jerseys every game for us anyway, because we wear the white jerseys every game now," he said laughing. "So it's like we get to wear something different other than the throwback colors, but it's just cool man."The NFL is expected to revisit the color-rush parameters league-wide this offseason.

XI5LCLWZCRHF3OXBJDRM7ZMDRA.jpg

The Rams' uniform situation is one of several the league is studying, an NFL spokesman said."As we do every offseason, we are working with Nike and a number of our clubs, this year including the Rams, on various issues and ideas around their uniforms," the spokesman said in an email.Demoff said he understood some fans' frustrations, and that the team was working with the league to come up with solutions.

"It was always with the idea that we'd be able to revisit it during the offseason when there's more time to plan," he said. "Hopefully, they recognize the challenge we have and appreciate the connection the fan base has to the blue and yellow."If we can avoid wearing our Navy jerseys next year, we will."

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm pretty sure that's jerseys, because of the merchandise aspect. Which really, I don't understand, because college teams like Oregon have 50 jerseys a season and fans buy them all anyways.
That's what I keep thinking. Hell - even here in Reno you see UofO gear all over the place. I really think the NFL owners are just being stubborn dicks over this. It's not like the Rams are proposing radical changes - just not that ugly navy and gold combination most of us hated (it would appear) since we first laid eyes on them.

Psycho_X

Legend
I mean, they've known about the move well before they actually announced it whether they want to admit it or not. Even with the NFL's ridiculous rules they still could have had this shit figured out by now within the confines of the rules. But they have been dragging their feet to line up their rebrand with the new stadium which got pushed back even more so can't say they have anyone to blame but themselves.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...d-yellow-uniforms-more-often-but-nfl-says-no/

Rams want to wear blue and yellow uniforms more often, but NFL says no

Since the Rams moved back to Los Angeles, questions have raged about which uniforms they should wear: The blue and white of Merlin Olsen in the 1960s? The blue and yellow of Eric Dickerson in the 1980s? The blue and gold of the St. Louis years? Some combination?

The Rams are working on a permanent answer, but in the meantime they’d like to wear the Dickerson-style throwbacks more. The NFL, however, has other ideas.

Rams COO Kevin Demoff says the team has asked the NFL for permission to wear the blue and yellow throwbacks more often, but the NFL limited the Rams to wearing them twice last season. Demoff said he’s working on explaining to the league office that the fans would prefer those uniforms.

“We have spent the year educating them on our fan base,” Demoff told the Los Angeles Times. “We forwarded them all of the fan complaints, the emails we get, so I think they’re well aware of our fans’ preferences.”

Demoff said the Navy blue jerseys the Rams have worn aren’t anyone’s favorite.

“It was always with the idea that we’d be able to revisit it during the offseason when there’s more time to plan,” he said. “Hopefully, they recognize the challenge we have and appreciate the connection the fan base has to the blue and yellow. If we can avoid wearing our Navy jerseys next year, we will.”

It’s a bit odd that the NFL won’t let teams wear whatever uniforms they want, but it appears that the Rams still have some work to do to convince the league to let them wear those Dickerson-style uniforms on a full-time basis.

Some comments from the above article.

ridiculous. Let them wear what they, and the fans want.
-------------
What a stupid move by the NFL! The Rams want to be identified with LA so they where the uniforms of the LA Rams. This is a SMART business decision. So the NFL blocks them. It is almost as if they want the Rams to fail. (I am not a Rams fan, just a fan of football)
--------------
Not a Rams fan but two of my favorite players were Jack Youngblood and Dickerson. I’m biased for those uniforms I guess. Dickerson was so much better than everyone in the league in his prime.
------------
That’s backwards.

They should be able to tell the NFL what uniforms they’re wearing, not the NFL telling them what they have to wear. League office has way too much power.
----------
I’m sure it has nothing to do with making a profit from jerseys that have already been manufactured. Nothing at all.
----------
The Dickerson B&Y uniform was the way I always remember the Rams. Classy!
----------
The blue/yellow is actually vibrant, distinctive, and fun. Makes sense that the NFL wants to arbitrarily stamp that out.
----------
Makes perfect sense to have the fans in the stands wear jerseys, hats, hoodies and T-Shirts that don’t match what’s being worn on the field
----------
The Blue and Yellow jerseys lead to more aggressive play, and that’s dangerous, especially on kick-offs. Shiny gold looks better so players don’t want to risk beating their jerseys and helmets up. This leads to less helmet-to-helmet shots.

Or it could be about money. Yea, it’s probably just money.
---------
If the Rams requested to make the blue/yellow uni their permanent uniforms the NFL would allow it. Since it is designated as an alternative uniform the rules are teams can only wear alternates 2 home games per season. That’s the rule the NFL is sticking by. The Rams need to make up their mind what permanent uniforms they want to wear.
---------
Yet another example of a tone deaf NFL being obsessed with minor details while purposely ignoring issues that really matter.
----------
The Rams are to blame here. When they moved to LA, they had three obvious options:
(1) Keep the navy blue/gold from St. Louis;
(2) Switch to navy blue/white from the 1960s; or
(3) Switch to royal blue/yellow from the 1980s.
The Rams chose a hybrid of Nos. 1 and 2. They switched to the 1960s navy blue/white helmet, but elected to keep the St. Louis navy blue/gold jerseys for two more years so that they could go full 1960s when they open their new stadium. (the NFL only let’s you change jerseys every 5 years to avoid a University of Oregon amount of switching)
If The Rams would have switched to full 1960s navy blue/white while playing in the Coliseum, it would have looked fine. They also could have switched to the 1980s royal blue/yellow.
Blame the Rams here, not the NFL.
---------
Pretty simple: If the Rams go back to wearing their original LA-era uniforms, NFL merchandising will take a beating on the inventory of St. Louis-era jerseys that it can’t unload.

The league will never sign off on any idea that takes dollars out of its pocket.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
The Rams are to blame here. When they moved to LA, they had three obvious options:
(1) Keep the navy blue/gold from St. Louis;
(2) Switch to navy blue/white from the 1960s; or
(3) Switch to royal blue/yellow from the 1980s.
The Rams chose a hybrid of Nos. 1 and 2. They switched to the 1960s navy blue/white helmet, but elected to keep the St. Louis navy blue/gold jerseys for two more years so that they could go full 1960s when they open their new stadium. (the NFL only let’s you change jerseys every 5 years to avoid a University of Oregon amount of switching)
If The Rams would have switched to full 1960s navy blue/white while playing in the Coliseum, it would have looked fine. They also could have switched to the 1980s royal blue/yellow.
Blame the Rams here, not the NFL.
Mr. Goodell, that's not even accurate. We're blaming the NFL because we like the Rams, not you, and your rules are stupid.

(I know this isn't you @Prime Time )

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
All of us are just going to have to accept the fact the Rams will change their uniform in 2020 to coincide with the new Venue opening. And I understand why because if I spent in access of 5 billion like ESK to build a palatial venue, I should have the right to re-brand my team simultaneously.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
So moving forward the next two years, White on White (at home) White Jersey with Blue Pants (on the road) & Blue Jersey with White Pants on the road (when the home team decides to wear their white).
GettyImages-884946704.jpg

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
All of us are just going to have to accept the fact the Rams will change their uniform in 2020 to coincide with the new Venue opening. And I understand why because if I spent in access of 5 billion like ESK to build a palatial venue, I should have the right to re-brand my team simultaneously.
I just can't understand why, going into the Rams "3rd Season Back in L.A." they can't adjust there Uni's If they want to!!!!:seizure:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I just can't understand why, going into the Rams "3rd Season Back in L.A." they can't adjust there Uni's If they want to!!!!:seizure:

It's because the Rams are totally re-branding in 2020 and they just did not want to continually change things, although it sure seems they did anyway. But not the jersey, they just went to white on white at home and change the helmet to give the LA fans the illusion of the old blue & whites.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I love the potential of the white horn uniforms, but the current combination doesn't look right. The white jerseys are "okay", but it doesn't look like a finished product and I think everyone sees that.

The worst is the blue/blue combo. The white horns and stripe look totally out of place with that uni. It's terrible.

I'm pretty sure that's jerseys, because of the merchandise aspect. Which really, I don't understand, because college teams like Oregon have 50 jerseys a season and fans buy them all anyways.

According to what I have read they can tweak pants, socks and helmets with approval pretty much anytime but cannot do anything to the jerseys except once every 5 years. That's why we see the horrible mismatch.

t's not like the Rams are proposing radical changes - just not that ugly navy and gold combination most of us hated (it would appear) since we first laid eyes on them.

They are working with Nike. To me that means more than small tweaks or changes because everything Nike has touched has been a bit of a departure ala the Browns uni's which most of the fans there that I know completely loathe. Even players and front office staff dislike them. They are already considering changing them to something closer to what they used to be.

I don't know how Titans fans feel about the new Nike uni they switched to but it's nothing great to me. And lord knows they fucked up the Jaguars jerseys so badly they passed the Bengals for ugliest in the NFL. And then there are the Bucs jerseys too.

I'm not confident that there won't be some pretty big changes because when the jerseys can be redone I'm afraid they may use ugly fucking numbers which they seem to love to do and make some color scheme changes too. They seem to stay with similar or the same colors but redesign the style.

My other fear is this. The NFL has to "approve" the changes. Buuuuuuuut..........Nike just signed a new deal with the NFL for the rights until 2028, and I don't know how the money flows but they provide pretty much everything uniform related and have licencing so I suspect the knuckleheads in the league office to green light whatever they do. Which means it's probably going to be fucking ugly.

I'm not happy about the possibilities. It's just not something Nike seems to be good at, and a couple of teams are already asking for redo's of what they did earlier.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams work on changing uniforms, but because of NFL rules don't expect to see anything soon

M6YKOMYXZJHMTFHH2MLO23VEGM.jpg

Rams running back Todd Gurley (30) celebrates with quarterback Jared Goff (16) after Gurley scored a touchdown on an 11-yard pass reception against the Tennessee Titans in the first half of an NFL football game Sunday, Dec. 24, 2017, in Nashville, Tenn. (Mark Zaleski / Associated Press)

Cornerbacks Marcus Peters, Aqib Talib, defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh and receiver Brandin Cooks will provide the Rams a new star-studded look on the field during the upcoming NFL season.

Barring changes from the NFL, however, fans will see the new players and their teammates in uniforms that have stirred controversy since the Rams returned to Los Angeles before the 2016 season.

While the Tennessee Titans, Miami Dolphins and Jacksonville Jaguars will sport redesigned uniforms this season, Kevin Demoff, the Rams chief operating officer and vice president for football operations, said the Rams would don the same combinations as last season, when the Rams won the NFC West and advanced to the playoffs for the first time since 2004.

Demoff said the Rams and Nike have worked together the last few months about starting the process for a redesigned uniform and that the Rams probably would make an announcement about a timeline in the coming weeks.

"By the end of the offseason, our fans will know what the timeline and process will be and how to get involved in the jersey process," Demoff said.

Since their return to Southern California after a near two-decade absence, the Rams have been planning a major rebrand, including uniforms. The original target was 2019, to coincide with a move into their new Inglewood stadium. But the stadium opening has been delayed until 2020, so the Rams will decide by the end of this spring whether to introduce redesigned uniforms in 2019 or 2020, Demoff said.

The Rams had blue and white uniforms in the mid-1960s and then changed to blue, yellow and white in the '70s. The St. Louis Rams' colors were blue, gold and white.

The Rams' home uniform last season was a white and blue jersey with gold accents, white pants with a navy blue stripe, and a blue helmet with white horns and a white face mask.

The road uniform was most often the white jersey with blue pants that featured a white stripe. Against the Dallas Cowboys, the Rams wore blue jerseys and blue pants. Against the Jacksonville Jaguars, they wore blue jerseys and white pants.

Demoff said that after surveying the Rams' schedule, he did not foresee a circumstance that would force the Rams to don blue jerseys on the road this season.

The Rams wore so-called "throwback" uniforms twice last season in home games against the Seattle Seahawks and San Francisco 49ers. The uniforms featured blue and yellow jerseys and yellow pants with a blue and white stripe.

Demoff said the Rams would continue to talk to the league about trying to expand the number of times they can wear the blue and yellow "throwback" uniforms.

The Rams requested to wear the uniforms for a Week 6 game at Jacksonville and for the home wild-card playoff game against the Atlanta Falcons, but the requests were denied, Demoff said.

We have spent the year educating them on our fan base," Demoff said of the NFL. "We forwarded them all of the fan complaints, the emails we get, so I think they're well aware of our fans' preferences."

The Rams also wore yellow-dominant color-rush uniforms in Week 3 against the San Francisco 49ers at Levi's Stadium. Running back Todd Gurley, for one, is a fan of the ensemble, which he described last season as "something different."

"Obviously just generic jerseys every game for us anyway, because we wear the white jerseys every game now," he said laughing. "So it's like we get to wear something different other than the throwback colors, but it's just cool man."

The NFL is expected to revisit the color-rush parameters league-wide this offseason.

The Rams' uniform situation is one of several the league is studying, an NFL spokesman said.

"As we do every offseason, we are working with Nike and a number of our clubs, this year including the Rams, on various issues and ideas around their uniforms," the spokesman said in an email.

Demoff said he understood some fans' frustrations, and that the team was working with the league to come up with solutions.

"It was always with the idea that we'd be able to revisit it during the offseason when there's more time to plan," he said. "Hopefully, they recognize the challenge we have and appreciate the connection the fan base has to the blue and yellow.

"If we can avoid wearing our Navy jerseys next year, we will."

[www.latimes.com]

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
They are working with Nike. To me that means more than small tweaks or changes because everything Nike has touched has been a bit of a departure ala the Browns uni's which most of the fans there that I know completely loathe. Even players and front office staff dislike them. They are already considering changing them to something closer to what they used to be.
I was more referring to what KD was alluding. While they are in transition between new and old just let them go all blue and white or all blue and yellow. I'm sure we will see a significant modernization of the uniform for '20. But how sweet would it be that while teams are shitting the bed with uniforms like the Bucs, if we went with a very slightly modernized version of our throw backs? We could have essentially the most unique uniforms in the league while keeping the LA brand the fans seem to be embracing anyway. Personally, I would love that. Go with a sleek but old school look of the colors we actually WON THE SB WITH with blue and white throw backs.... I'd be a happy Ram fan.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I was more referring to what KD was alluding. While they are in transition between new and old just let them go all blue and white or all blue and yellow. I'm sure we will see a significant modernization of the uniform for '20. But how sweet would it be that while teams are crapping the bed with uniforms like the Bucs, if we went with a very slightly modernized version of our throw backs? We could have essentially the most unique uniforms in the league while keeping the LA brand the fans seem to be embracing anyway. Personally, I would love that. Go with a sleek but old school look of the colors we actually WON THE SB WITH with blue and white throw backs.... I'd be a happy Ram fan.

I see what you mean now.

The change needs to be to make the pants match the jersey since they can't change that for now and probably won't until the stadium is done. The bold white strip looks out of place to me.

Personally I've always disliked the all blue look. It's even blander looking than the all white, which is the closest thing they have to matching gear.

It's just not great, any combo that they can come up with right now will look mismatched.

I just took a quick look at the Dolphins new uniforms, maybe there is hope because they didn't fuck them all up and the numbers aren't bad. They did however leave the dildo....errr.......logo on the shoulders which looks cluttered.

I would like to see a cleaner looking uni, especially the jersey. solid color with trimmed letters and numbers in whatever color combos they pick. I suspect they are going to use the yellow, the old blue before the change to the darker blue in 2000, and of course white.

They can do enough with those colors, look at this pic, those are good looks and with an update would be fine..........and clearly the current blue and dark gold is the worst of all of the colors over the years.

EDIT:
Also get rid of the single wide stripe on the pants and go to three stripes to tie the colors in from the jersey combos or a dual stripe. The single wide strip looks like a college softball team.

350px-Rams_uniform_evolution.png

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's because the Rams are totally re-branding in 2020 and they just did not want to continually change things, although it sure seems they did anyway. But not the jersey, they just went to white on white at home and change the helmet to give the LA fans the illusion of the old blue & whites.

Knowing that, who ever made the decision to change the horns on the helmet to white was truly a premature ejaculation :jerkoff:, creating an eye-sore for two more seasons :shocking: IMO. Why do something half assed :thinking: knowing how passionate the RAMS fans are about the uniform? Should have rolled everything new out in 2020, this new ensemble is not easy on the eyes o_O.

Karate61

There can be no excellence without effort.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
SportsBook Bookie
Camp Reporter
Name
Jeff
According to what I have read they can tweak pants, socks and helmets with approval pretty much anytime but cannot do anything to the jerseys except once every 5 years. That's why we see the horrible mismatch.
Where did you read that, if you still know? Everything I read was that they can only do a full uniform change once every 5 years. Why can't they now change just the jersey for this coming season, since that would not be a full uniform change?