Troy Hill

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Personally I think Hill deserves a little more credit than he gets from Rams fans..... and I have a stupid theory to explain why I think fans just don't like him:

Troy Hill is a very similar name to another guy, former Rams 1st rd CB bust Tye Hill. It brings back some painful memories of the worst 10 year span in NFL history.

It would be like signing a WR named Danny Avery or a DL named Andy Carricker.
For real though. Those aren't even real players and I still want them gone.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Let's put this into context. Hill is entering his 5th season and his play should be not only better but more consistent. You never know what guy is going to show up play from play to play. You can't have a guy like that after 4 years. The only thing Hill is consistent with is his inconsistency. He's not going to get better, he is what he is and it's time to upgrade. Williams IMO outplayed Hill last year and he's was a second-year guy often times playing SCB which is far more demanding technique-wise than a boundary CB.

It's time to quit accepting mediocrity and calling it good enough. IMO the whole idea is to continually upgrade the talent on the roster. You can't use him in press-man coverage which is why he is always playing in an off technique. A good WR will feast on an inconsistent CB playing that technique. Too many times he's inconsistent which makes him dead meat. At a cap of $4.4M, that's too high of a price to pay for a guy that is a backup level talent with limited versatility.

He's got a dead cap of $500K and would put back $3.9M into the cap and with all the cap wrangling going on that is almost 40% of what the NFL is asking for in terms of reduction all in a backup. IMO the Rams either trade him or release him with release looming if the cap reduction becomes reality. Either way, I don't see a major loss with both Williams and Burgess on the roster.

If your saying Troy Hill is going to get cut or traded before the season ? I’m still laughing at your evaluation.

Ram65

Legend
Some of Hill's flaws seem to be able to be questionable coaching. I know Aubrey Pleasent has a good reputation but, maybe he needs to help Hill will situational techniques. Hopefully, Staley comes in and gets things straightened out. Too much cushion on too many occasions. Even though there is limited time I expect Staley to make Hill win his position. Rams have some quality looking depth in Long, Williams, Deayon, Alexander and Taylor

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Some of Hill's flaws seem to be able to be questionable coaching. I know Aubrey Pleasent has a good reputation but, maybe he needs to help Hill will situational techniques. Hopefully, Staley comes in and gets things straightened out. Too much cushion on too many occasions. Even though there is limited time I expect Staley to make Hill win his position. Rams have some quality looking depth in Long, Williams, Deayon, Alexander and Taylor

My view is Troy Hill is a productive CB in 2020. He will help add to the comp numbers heading into 2021.
McSnead’s picks & production of players will start to shine from the start of the 2017 draft.

Ram65

Legend
I think Staley needs to have Aubrey Pleasant work on Hills technique. All too often Hill gives to much cushion. Staley needs to have Hill compete for his starting job. Rams have good depth with Long, Williams, Deayon, Alexander and Taylor ready to step in. They also have Burgess who can cover in the slot if needed. I'm tired of the Rams CBs giving too much cushion to complete easy catches for first downs. Staley needs to tighten up the defensive secondary communication as well.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
D. Williams the ball just finds his hands. I think he will surprise mainly this season