Trey Burton just stated a team with Horns has reached out

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/trey-burton?id=2543577

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/gerald-everett?id=2557889

Everett is more explosive and has longer arms, but otherwise, their athletic testing is eerily similar. They were both versatile athletes in college who could make people miss. Burton is essentially a less explosive Everett with more seasoning since he played at a higher level of competition in college and has played in the pros for 4 years. The difference is Burton is probably more ready to be Sean McVay's Jordan reed now. With or TE coach Waldron getting promoted to pass game coordinator (another guy with Jordan Reed ties) have to believe the Rams are planning on featuring the position more. McVay is in search of his Jordan Reed and Burton may get him there sooner

TexasRam

Legend
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/trey-burton?id=2543577

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/gerald-everett?id=2557889

Everett is more explosive and has longer arms, but otherwise, their athletic testing is eerily similar. They were both versatile athletes in college who could make people miss. Burton is essentially a less explosive Everett with more seasoning since he played at a higher level of competition in college and has played in the pros for 4 years. The difference is Burton is probably more ready to be Sean McVay's Jordan reed now. With or TE coach Waldron getting promoted to pass game coordinator (another guy with Jordan Reed ties) have to believe the Rams are planning on featuring the position more. McVay is in search of his Jordan Reed and Burton may get him there sooner

Everett's catch rate last year was 50%
Burton's was 77%

Burton is in Fitzgerald or Jarvis Landry's catch rate company, which is to say top of the league.

It's a small sample size for both young guys but it really does stand out on tape too. Burton is an excellent pass catcher and possession TE. He will catch the fades for example out side his body with ease like a WR.

Everett will probably give you more after the catch but can't compare with Burton in the hands department.

TexasRam

Legend
Bucs resign Cameron Brate to a 6 year 41 Mil extension. He has about double the production of Burton in yards and 17-6 TDs. Average 6.8 Million 18 Million Guaranteed

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BratCa00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BurtTr01.htm

He hasn't had the production for $7 Million a year deal. Over pay in free agency but, not that much. Interesting to see what he gets.

Brate - 6 TD's on 77 targets 62% catch rate
Burton 5 TD's on 30 targets 77% catch rate

Burton had Ertz and Celek taking targets away, if we project it out with more targets Burton's potential looks bright.

So it will be interesting to see what Mcsneady offer Burton. I don't like giving money out based on potential but this risk reward may look genius if you are right.

TexasRam

Legend
The interesting thing to me is that if we do add Burton, I don't think we'll see us make a big move for a WR. I expect the plan will be Kupp and Woods with a lot of 12 personnel with Burton and Everett at TE. We'll likely only add a deep threat from the Draft or a cheap FA option (like John Brown).

I'm sure I will get digitally crucified for this but I wouldn't consider bringing Watkins back anyways. His inconsistent route running and hands stall the offense too much for my liking. Our young WR's show excellent potential, and will save of massive amounts of $$ for the same production as Watkins would.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everett's catch rate last year was 50%
Burton's was 77%

Burton is in Fitzgerald or Jarvis Landry's catch rate company, which is to say top of the league.

It's a small sample size for both young guys but it really does stand out on tape too. Burton is an excellent pass catcher and possession TE. He will catch the fades for example out side his body with ease like a WR.

Everett will probably give you more after the catch but can't compare with Burton in the hands department.

I wouldn't read TOO much into that, beyond Burton being more experienced. His rookie season (same age as Everett last season) Burton played ST, some as a running back, did not actually get even one passing target. Second season, he had all of 4 targets. 3rd season he had 60 targets, with a catch percentage of 61%. Last season he had that nice catch percentage - but his targets had been cut basically in half.
I'm sure he has good hands - but he seems to have been brought along very slowly - and when he got a real chance in 2016 they then stopped using him very often.

If the price is right, he might make sense. If he's expensive, I think it's better to give the Rams' own young TEs the chance that Burton has had to develop.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't read TOO much into that, beyond Burton being more experienced. His rookie season (same age as Everett last season) Burton played ST, some as a running back, did not actually get even one passing target. Second season, he had all of 4 targets. 3rd season he had 60 targets, with a catch percentage of 61%. Last season he had that nice catch percentage - but his targets had been cut basically in half.
I'm sure he has good hands - but he seems to have been brought along very slowly - and when he got a real chance in 2016 they then stopped using him very often.

If the price is right, he might make sense. If he's expensive, I think it's better to give the Rams' own young TEs the chance that Burton has had to develop.

Ertz was injured in 2016 for a few games. Burton started or had a bigger role in those games. I'm pretty sure ertz started every game last season except the rams game.

TexasRam

Legend

Yea Burton came out of college as a do everything guy. QB, RB, TE etc. He had a learning curve and needed seasoning.

It's kind of Hard to get playing time when you sit behind Ertz and Celek. But they did tender him a 2nd round pick showing his value to them.

Most important in my book and I am sure Mcvay's is what the film shows. His ability to catch and secure the ball in traffic really stands out. the 77% rate last year only shows what film confirms, his potential as a pass catching TE.

And I am sure he is not happy about Everett and Higbee's huge drops last year in critical situations. Especially in the end zone. Everett twice in the Cowboys game for example. Higbee In the Niners game and the playoff loss.

I understand TE's can take time to develop and both those guys might become real good TE's but at this stage they are not at all dependable targets.

And yes Burton is more projection than proven production, so there is risk involved if you give him a lot of guaranteed money.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame

Akrasian makes a convincing argument that perhaps Rams shouldn’t break the bank for Burton.

I was gung-ho for Burton after watching film and reading a bit about him. But his career trajectory provides cause for concern.

Four years in the league. 2014, undrafted FA who barely makes the squad. 2015, again has to compete for a roster spot and makes it as 3rd TE. 2016, again 3rd TE. 2017, again opens season as 3rd TE.

His numbers reflect all this. Hardly anything beyond ST in his first two years. Then 327 rec yds in 2016, 248 in 2017.

Still, gotta say he passes the eye test. Is Burton a strong player who was stuck behind Ertz and Celek?

All in all I’d still be pumped to see Burton as a Ram. But his lack of playing time over 4 years is a concern.

TexasRam

Legend
Akrasian makes a convincing argument that perhaps Rams shouldn’t break the bank for Burton.

I was gung-ho for Burton after watching film and reading a bit about him. But his career trajectory provides cause for concern.

Four years in the league. 2014, undrafted FA who barely makes the squad. 2015, again has to compete for a roster spot and makes it as 3rd TE. 2016, again 3rd TE. 2017, again opens season as 3rd TE.

His numbers reflect all this. Hardly anything beyond ST in his first two years. Then 327 rec yds in 2016, 248 in 2017.

Still, gotta say he passes the eye test. Is Burton a strong player who was stuck behind Ertz and Celek?

All in all I’d still be pumped to see Burton as a Ram. But his lack of playing time over 4 years is a concern.

Yea I wouldn’t break the bank on any offensive weapon, now that Robinson looks to have signed. In fact if I had my way we would go after Norwell and Westburg and fill the defensive holes.

So the question is really how much guaranteed money would you feel
Comfortable offering Burton?

I would be good at 16m over 4 years. I’ve considered 20m as a max. Jrry said 10m max.

…..

Legend
I wouldn't throw large money at a TE but that's just me.

I agree with Husker. Would rather go win with our guys and put our money elsewhere.

This would be the first off season move that disappointed me.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
What he said ^.

Last year was Everett's rookie year, and Higbee's first year in an NFL offense (instead of a middle school offense). Give them a chance to develop.

Nothing against Burton, but I think we have plenty of potential at the TE position.

yeah we should see improvement in the hole o f just by being in the second year in the same o f

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
The question was a team with an animal mascot and horns coming out of the helmet.
Arguably that makes it the Rams.

So it's not the USFL Arizona Wranglers then...

IMG_3547.JPG

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I wouldn't throw large money at a TE but that's just me.

I'm not as high on Burton as most round these parts. Only guy I'd pursue is Graham, and if it doesn't work out so be it. But if they add Burton it's still a gain for the TE room, which is something this team needs.

Once again it seems the Rams are best at overpaying or adding marginal talents. Which means Burton might happen.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
I'm not as high on Burton as most round these parts. Only guy I'd pursue is Graham, and if it doesn't work out so be it. But if they add Burton it's still a gain for the TE room, which is something this team needs.

Once again it seems the Rams are best at overpaying or adding marginal talents. Which means Burton might happen.
Which Rams? Fisher era is over dude. If they were best at overpaying as you say, then Sammy wouldn’t be going to the Chiefs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Which Rams? Fisher era is over dude. If they were best at overpaying as you say, then Sammy wouldn’t be going to the Chiefs.

The Fisher era was plagued by an inability to sign our own homegrown talent, among other problems. The team has improved in a lot of ways since, with better coaching and better GM decision making, but to my eye the same contract problems and tendencies might remain. As I keep saying, time will tell and we should have a really good idea by the time this particular offseason has passed, but it remains a concern for myself until I see Demoff actually INK some key players.

Ogletree is the one signing that Demoff has made under this regime. And it was a guy that Demoff thought he was locking up at a bargain rate given expectations, when it was in reality a guy who didn't fit. Not exactly the kind of indicator I want to see.

It's cool too man, I don't expect agreement on anything that I see with this team. And if you do disagree I genuinely hope you're correct.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
I do not understand our approach at TE.

One needs to be that ultra reliable 3rd down pass catcher who can get open.

The other one needs to be a bruising and punishing blocker who can demolish LB's and give DE's a rough time.

We do not have either type on this roster.

Last edited: