Trey Burton just stated a team with Horns has reached out

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
I'm thinking we're going to have to offer something more in the neighborhood of 4 years $28 million.
I agree. You have to overpay in free agency.

I’m taking about what I would pay for a 3rd string TE that shows big potential.

If I did 4 years I would offer 20m guaranteed max. He’s getting the chance to play for the top young offense in the NFL.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'd rather give our TEs one more year to develop and spend our dough on the SW and the D this year.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd rather give our TEs one more year to develop and spend our dough on the SW and the D this year.

I agree with that, although he could replace Carrier with Hemingway becoming the blocking TE. I am not sold on Higbee, can't seem to hang on to contested passes.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Is he any good?

John Johnson would say so. I believe he caught 2 TDs on him.

Doubt its the Vikings, since he is leaving partly to be the guy, which he won't be behind Rudolph.

Texans make a ton of sense since they need TEs and they are also linked to Jimmy Graham. I guess the Texans technically have horns, but when most people think horns Texans aren't the first name that comes to mind

I don't think it will be the rams, but that could be interesting for several reasons. Coaching in the NFC east and after he killed the Rams last season they have more exposure to Burton than most. However, It would be a really interesting statement on the development of our young TEs. It says even though Higbee is progressing as a blocker he may never be a bonafide receiving threat. Hemmingway is coming off injury and the Rams thought he was their best inline TE before he went down, so his return doesn't really impact a Burton signing who is more of a move guy.

I could see his potential addition being good or bad for Everett. In a bad way, Everett is way off from being a complete TE and they cant rely on him outside of situational duties at this stage in his career. Or in a good way Everett plays more, but those snaps come on the outside like they did last year. Everett was essentially the backup split end last year. If Sammy leaves and they bring in Burton the Rams can expand on his outside usage in addition to playing Reynolds more. In terms of athletic profile, Everett has the same or better numbers than alot of WRs who he outweighs by 30 pounds in some instances.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

the rams need this guy. i don't want to see higbee targeted ever again. burton makes the tough catches. mcvay saw him up close and personal and would have a hard on about signing this guy to the rams.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree. You have to overpay in free agency.

I’m taking about what I would pay for a 3rd string TE that shows big potential.

If I did 4 years I would offer 20m guaranteed max. He’s getting the chance to play for the top young offense in the NFL.

Guaranteed? Oh no, I'd offer nowhere near $20 million guaranteed. I think the total value has to be in that neighborhood. In terms of guarantees, I'd offer him $10 million max.

TexasRam

Legend
Guaranteed? Oh no, I'd offer nowhere near $20 million guaranteed. I think the total value has to be in that neighborhood. In terms of guarantees, I'd offer him $10 million max.

OK. Well I am not sure what his market is. With Higbee coming off the book after 2019 and the TE Centric passing game that Mcvay wants to implement I think Mcvay may value Burton as a long term solution (through 2021) based on what he has shown in his limited work with Philly.

Not sure what it would take to reign him in in guaranteed money, I would hope no more than 2-3 per year but if his market is there and Mcvay really believes in him I'm not going to freak out if it gets to 5m per year. It may be rolling some dice but could pay off huge if his potential is realized.

One thing is for sure. Burton would be a huge possession upgrade for us at TE. Dude goes in traffic fearlessly and knows how to secure the ball. And he plays with fire. He's going to bring down balls that Everett and Higbee never will. I am not giving up on Everett as he was just a rookie and he still has huge upside. But I don't see him being the type of third down or goal line option that Burton can be.

Last edited:

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
What's the market value for a second stringer TE that flashed a handful of times this season? It shouldn't be much

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

What he said ^.

Last year was Everett's rookie year, and Higbee's first year in an NFL offense (instead of a middle school offense). Give them a chance to develop.

Nothing against Burton, but I think we have plenty of potential at the TE position.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I'm thinking we're going to have to offer something more in the neighborhood of 4 years $28 million.
I’m guessing that Trey Burton might be the first FA signing that the Rams announce on Wednesday. And yeah, jrry’s numbers sound about right, unfortunately— Burton won’t come cheap.

Unfortunately I think Sammy will get an offer that the Rams just won’t match. And Burton would be a nice consolation prize, a chance to upgrade at TE.

Having a RELIABLE pass catching TE (cough* not Higbee*) will be a huge addition. Burton seems to fit the McSnead mold for a FA risk (sorta like Woods)— a young underrated good-hands guy entering his prime who is a reliable team-first competitor.

To me, I think Rams will make a splash signing for a FA TE : either Burton, Graham, or Eifert. They would have to engage in a bidding war to get any of those 3. Graham: expensive. Eifert: injury risk. Burton: undersized and inexperienced. But of these 3 risk profiles, IMHO Burton would be the logical choice.

Last edited:

Ellard80

Legend
I remember McVays end of year Presser... he made some comments about the TE position that made it clear to me that he felt it was an area that needed upgrading.

So i wouldn't be surprised at all...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m guessing that Trey Burton might be the first FA signing that the Rams announce on Wednesday. And yeah, jrry’s numbers sound about right, unfortunately— Burton won’t come cheap.

Unfortunately I think Sammy will get an offer that the Rams just won’t match. And Burton would be a nice consolation prize, a chance to upgrade at TE.

Having a RELIABLE pass catching TE (cough* not Higbee*) will be a huge addition. Burton seems to fit the McSnead mold for a FA risk (sorta like Woods)— a young underrated good-hands guy entering his prime who is a reliable team-first competitor.

To me, I think Rams will make a splash signing for a FA TE : either Burton, Graham, or Eifert. They would have to engage in a bidding war to get any of those 3. Graham: expensive. Eifert: injury risk. Burton: undersized and inexperienced. But of these 3 risk profiles, IMHO Burton would be the logical choice.

The interesting thing to me is that if we do add Burton, I don't think we'll see us make a big move for a WR. I expect the plan will be Kupp and Woods with a lot of 12 personnel with Burton and Everett at TE. We'll likely only add a deep threat from the Draft or a cheap FA option (like John Brown).

Ram65

Legend
Last edited:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
The interesting thing to me is that if we do add Burton, I don't think we'll see us make a big move for a WR. I expect the plan will be Kupp and Woods with a lot of 12 personnel with Burton and Everett at TE. We'll likely only add a deep threat from the Draft or a cheap FA option (like John Brown).
Jrry and all, below is a link to Trey Burton’s recent interview on NFL network.

Does indeed sound like whoever gets Burton will have to win a bidding war.

One thing of note: he said how important it was to him to have (1) a good young QB on (2) a winning organization with (3) a family-first atmosphere.

Rams check all 3 boxes.

http://m.vikings.com/media-vault/vi...ched-Out/c81648f1-0d07-46ba-9583-670e1aa5a4fd

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jrry and all, below is a link to Trey Burton’s recent interview on NFL network.

Does indeed sound like whoever gets Burton will have to win a bidding war.

One thing of note: he said how important it was to him to have (1) a good young QB on (2) a winning organization with (3) a family-first atmosphere.

Rams check all 3 boxes.

http://m.vikings.com/media-vault/vi...ched-Out/c81648f1-0d07-46ba-9583-670e1aa5a4fd

While business is business, Trey Burton is a great kid. He was a true leader at UF who was always willing to sacrifice for the team. He'd fit our new culture well.