Trent Dilfer: Rams are an immature team, but I wouldn't wanna play them.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Excuses, excuses, excuses....how many examples are there of H.C.'s that built successful teams in far less time? Yes this teams young, it also has a D returning for the 2nd year in a row. Personally I'm so tired of the excuses.

My comments are not directed at you specifically.
There are still 14 games to go.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
You mean like Britt drawing a moronic 15 yard taunting penalty after making a play?
Dumb guys do dumb things.

When I played JV football my junior year of high school we had a mean coach. In those days one of the teachers had a paddle hung up on the wall and he used it on the students from time to time. Any way our coach dragged a player on the ground along the sidelines by his faceguard while screaming profanities at him because he had committed a stupid penalty.

Yeah, I know those days are long over and whether they should be or not is a matter for another debate. The point is that coaches are handcuffed by the rules and the Player's Union. I suppose Fisher could have benched Britt or made him walk home. I'm just prattling on as usual because I have no answer that would help.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Excuses, excuses, excuses....how many examples are there of H.C.'s that built successful teams in far less time? Yes this teams young, it also has a D returning for the 2nd year in a row. Personally I'm so tired of the excuses.

Personally, I'm tired of the "e" word.

They have legit issues. Not everything is a fucking excuse.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I don't like this dick with ears but he nails it. This clip should be played in the locker room every day this week and maybe on a loud speaker at practice a couple of times. And maybe the front office should photoshop Dilfer's picture in a Steeler's uni and make a poster out of it and hang it in the halls.

Debacled

Starter

It isn't an excuse, this team will continue to make dumb mistakes and show its lack of on field experience and no amount of superb coaching will change that. Lessen it? Sure, but the penalties and inconsistent play will be a problem for any team fielding so many players with so little on the field experience.

As long as the starters are as young as they are expect to see a lot of what we already have. Chris Long and JL are the "grizzled vets" on this team at 30 and 28 respectively. This is exactly what Dilfer is hinting at, young and dumb and I'm sure you've seen its how the Rams can play. They don't know how to consistently bring the same heat every week that we saw in week 1 vrs the Seahawks.

For what its worth, there are more teams stuck in coaching purgatory out there that seem to roll a new guy in every couple a years and end up being even worse off. The Rams over the last decade should have taught us at least that.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Personally, I'm tired of the "e" word.

They have legit issues. Not everything is a freaking excuse.

This is year 4 brother. Any legit issues are Fisher's fault. He's the head honcho after all. The team needs to win. IMO anything less than playoffs is failure. It is time for this organization to set expectations high and use accountability.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I am not a Trent Dilfer fan ... but he hit the nail on the head on what I was trying to say in a previous thread. This team is mind boggling.

Bingo!!! I too am not a fan of Trent Dilfer, but outside of Long and JL and maybe RQ and the rest of our D is really young. Our O is geared towards the last 2 drafts mainly.
I just think are team is depended on the OL and running game gelling. And it takes an OL a couple of seasons to gel in all honestly. I'm wondering if Robinson is our future LT still, such a learning curve coming from Auburn program. We don't even know if we have a true #1 wr on our team.

So unless Gurley can make a major impact (elite player) I think we could be starring 8-8 season in the eye.

Need two things:

A) Game experience
B) Another strong draft class and possibly 2 drafts before taking the next step..

And I'm more of an balanced homer, so this will be the worst you will ever get from me. Fact is we are the leagues youngest team.

Side note: I wonder if Cook would be worth cutting, as he isn't earning his cake imho

Honey I said I don't need those blue pills, just need a sandwich and I'm good to go!

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
When I played JV football my junior year of high school we had a mean coach. In those days one of the teachers had a paddle hung up on the wall and he used it on the students from time to time. Any way our coach dragged a player on the ground along the sidelines by his faceguard while screaming profanities at him because he had committed a stupid penalty.

Yeah, I know those days are long over and whether they should be or not is a matter for another debate. The point is that coaches are handcuffed by the rules and the Player's Union. I suppose Fisher could have benched Britt or made him walk home. I'm just prattling on as usual because I have no answer that would help.

when I read this post, it reminded me of Dana Carvey on todays parenting. Sorta off topic on topic

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'm calling 100% BS. Not even close.

This team is mature. We have a TON of 3-4 year starters. Young and strong and fast? Yes. Immature in a football sense? Nope. JL isn't immature. Quinn isn't. Donald isn't. Brokers isn't. Jenkins isn't. Britt isn't. Quick isn't. Bailey isn't. Cook isn't...I just realised I should have named the few that are.

The Rams are short their probable stars. The Rams are in the new OC doldrums, but NOT so bad as like Williams and the D last year because they know this OC and what he expects.

This team has TWO issues. Getting settled in as a team and aggressiveness in coaching. That's it. We can't settle them in faster, we need time and games, so we need excessive aggressiveness from coaching. ZERO playing not to lose. It's not an option. MASSIVE, anything you throw at us, we will go comically bigger. Send 4 guys to get TA loose damn it. Get his ass open and get him the ball.

I would dial in 2-3 TEs protecting Foles and go 40 yards every play until they stop us and then dial in Gurley. Explode on them. So what if it fails? Let's go see what we can do god damn it. You could own ANY team in the NFL getting TA the ball and blocking every time they stacked the box.

If Fisher and Cigi go into this game knowing they better have their A players, all of them, and a game plan of a shootout, the Rams can win.

Kneeling with 40 seconds in the half and two time outs down by 10? Might as well turn it off.

If the secondary plays soft? Might as well turn it off.

Either we go like we know we can match up, GSOT style, or we will get steamrolled.

And let me add this about coaching aggressiveness too. Do your job or sit. We have depth. Do it or get out. LOSE the game before you let fear dictate who is playing because you are scared to bench them. DO YOUR JOB OR LOSE YOUR JOB.

I'm not dissing the team at all, I'm saying we COULD be that good. No fear. Attack and don't stop. TA has 4 carries at 10 YPC and we never see him carry again?!

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
You mean like Britt drawing a moronic 15 yard taunting penalty after making a play?

Dude, no one thinks that was taunting. When does Britt get called for that type of BS? Dude was talking and so was Britt, he stood there and talked.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I've been beating this drum for a while but, can we really hold it against Britt after we were screaming and orgasming over Bailey doing the same thing to Sherman while doing significantly worse by standing over him?

That ref was literally looking for something to flag, I mean to the point where he tripped over a whole another human being he was so intent on finding something to flag Britt for. I can't say that's stupid guys doing stupid things, I mean it's not like he was screaming profanity at the guy and doing some dumb dance, he stared for a few seconds and the ref literally tripped over himself trying to run over to throw a flag.

Seems like the ref just had a fast trigger finger.

fearsomefour

Legend

The answer is at some point these guys (not just Rams players but players in general) need to be interested in carrying themselves like pros. The culture has changed. Watching older games, from 25 years or so ago, there was not this same level of stupidity. I am sure it is a side effect of the "me, me, me....Im important" selfie/facebook culture. Watching those games I am sure there was smack talk back and forth, there was occasional pushing a shoving, but not a lot. Most plays guys got up and went back to the huddle. A guy acting like he a drunk fool who just won an academy award and the state lottery because he picked up a first down or tackled a guy for a two yard loss is pathetic to me. A guy like Britt, who has been in the league for quite a while and to this point has turned $10 of talent into $4.50 of results....how is he running his mouth, being a d bag braggart?? It is beyond logic and reason. At its most base level, this is totally selfish behavior. No concern for the game going on, for the team, for the stupidity of his actions. He would be gonzo as soon as he could be replaced if it was my show to run.
You could dock his game pay, fine him I suppose, thats about it.

fearsomefour

Legend
I've been beating this drum for a while but, can we really hold it against Britt after we were screaming and orgasming over Bailey doing the same thing to Sherman while doing significantly worse by standing over him?

That ref was literally looking for something to flag, I mean to the point where he tripped over a whole another human being he was so intent on finding something to flag Britt for. I can't say that's stupid guys doing stupid things, I mean it's not like he was screaming profanity at the guy and doing some dumb dance, he stared for a few seconds and the ref literally tripped over himself trying to run over to throw a flag.

Seems like the ref just had a fast trigger finger.
I wasn't happy about Bailey acting like a fool who was surprised he made a play.
I was surprised he didn't get flagged. Its stupid behavior that does nothing to help the team win.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I wasn't happy about Bailey acting like a fool who wI as surprised he made a play.
I was surprised he didn't get flagged. Its stupid behavior that does nothing to help the team win.
I disagree. People are naturally braggarts. This isn't new, this hasn't suddenly cropped up in the last few years, it's always been like this. Even the GSOT, the team we all love to point out as the creme de la creme had an attitude and edge to them. You can argue that they earned it, but it was there.

He didn't get flagged because he didn't do anything, oh man he bragged and was excited he made a big play. If you're not saying anything venomous or holding up the game with some feature length celebration then I don't think you should be flagged.

fearsomefour

Legend
I disagree. People are naturally braggarts. This isn't new, this hasn't suddenly cropped up in the last few years, it's always been like this. Even the GSOT, the team we all love to point out as the creme de la creme had an attitude and edge to them. You can argue that they earned it, but it was there.

He didn't get flagged because he didn't do anything, oh man he bragged and was excited he made a big play. If you're not saying anything venomous or holding up the game with some feature length celebration then I don't think you should be flagged.
I dont disagree with what you are saying really. But, knowing what the rules are, knowing that standing over a guy and yelling at him could draw a flag, why would a player take that chance?
The level of this bs in todays game, you are right it is not a brand new thing, but, going back it was not this way.
It is just sort of weak to me. Although, if Bailey did get flagged, getting flagged for taunting Sherman would probably be enough to send me out the window at my house.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

I don't mind the players celebrating after a big play. In fact, I think the NFL should allow them to show their joy and to wear whatever kind of socks and shoes they feel like wearing. But...when a team has a long history of losing and needs every advantage they can get, they should be extra careful they don't get flagged for it.

I'm old enough to remember watching Vince Lombardi's, Bud Grant's, Chuck Noll's, and Tom Landry's teams and their players had a "bring your lunch pail to work and do your damn job" type of ethic. I'm gonna go ahead and guess that ethic was instilled by their coaching staffs.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I dont disagree with what you are saying really. But, knowing what the rules are, knowing that standing over a guy and yelling at him could draw a flag, why would a player take that chance?
The level of this bs in todays game, you are right it is not a brand new thing, but, going back it was not this way.
It is just sort of weak to me.
I agree, but I hold that against the league as a part of the weird need to make the game this stuffy and compact game of flag football where you can't have any pride in what you do or be happy while doing it.

I feel that's just an unrealistic expectation to have of a highly competitive game where the best of the very best are playing, most of whom take a lot of pride in what they do. I do get what you and others are saying about a team that hasn't earned it shouldn't be acting like they have, but at the base root saying it's bad I just disagree.