Tremayne Anchrum an interesting prospect

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I'm not a fan of Allen or Blythe, but it's pretty obvious that they're going to stick with the latter as a starter because, unlike Allen, Blythe can actually make the line-calls. You're downplaying the importance of that. In addition, Allen is recovering from Covid-19. That's a huge deal for an athlete. If Allen hasn't fully recovered, hasn't been in workouts, he will struggle to make this team. It's not an axe to grind; it's a fact.

Remember this: John Franklin-Myers came in out of shape, and they cut him - and he was a mid-round pick a year ago who showed potential. Allen has not shown potential, and he's a fourth round pick from a year ago. If Allen isn't in game-shape, they'll either trade or cut him. I'm hoping for the former and wouldn't be surprised with the latter.

Blythe is a stop-gap solution, that much is true. That's why I'm hoping desperately that Corbett can play center well.
Ok .. .I got to chime in here ... Allen had COVID 19 almost 2 mos. ago. He was never admitted to the hospital.. put on a ventilator or anything like that. he is MOST likely completely over it by now. what would that have to do with this competition coming in a month or 2 from now? 95% of the people who contacted this .. were either never even aware of it or had flu like symptoms.

statements like this boggle my mind

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
unlike Allen, Blythe can actually make the line-calls

I'm not convinced he can. Goff was under far too much pressure all season long. Delayed blitzes were getting to him as the MIKE would wait until Blythe double with Edwards than blitz knowing Austin didn't have the athleticism to redirect his blocking. Also, stunts were beating him frequently. More importantly, he was very poor on the second level. If O'Connell moves to a between the tackles run attack using a mixture of inside zone and gap blocking the center will be required to get to and execute second-level blocks particularly against the middle LB. Blythe is mismatched vs most MIKE LBs both in terms of physicality and strength. You don't get that MIKE blocked and those inside runs will get stuffed. Looking at his play to date that is exactly the type of blocking Blythe struggles at. He was fine as long as they only ran an outside zone with a horizontal concept. But defenses took that away last year. The Ram run game was forced to move inside and with Blythe, at center they struggled with Gurley getting the blame. But if you simply break down the o-line play that is where the real issue lay. It's important for the center to ID the MIKE and Blythe struggled at it as reflected by that Ram's 26th ranked run attack.

With Blythe at C, the Rams were 26th ranked in running the ball. The center has a lot to do with that. IMO Blythe isn't the presumptive starter anymore than Kiser is at MIKE. He will have to prove he can make those plays. In 4 years he hasn't shown he can. In fact other than Allen, Blythe should be in competition with Coleman and Trewyn who was a Remington Award winner at center. Both Trewyn and Shelton have mobility lacking in Austin, both are bigger with longer arms. Blythe had half a season to lock the start at center down and he simply didn't do it. Sure he had the experience edge, but he was still consistently physically outmatched as he has been his entire career. Do I think Trewyn is a true starter? No, I don't and I think Anchrum might take his place on the depth chart as he offers both center and OG versatility.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If Brian Allen (who's entering his 3rd Ram season) is given an opportunity by Kromer to earn the starting OC post & win it......I am fine with that. I just do not see it, but it's possible.

Blythe was one of the smallest (or if not was the smallest) RG in the NFL in 2018 & 2019. There were clear signs that Blythe was already wearing down @ the end of the 2018 season @ RG. In 2019, that wear & tear continued & then the lower leg injury occurred.

That move of Blythe to center had some good stuff attached to it! It was a positive in two ways for the Rams OL:

#1- It gave rookie David Edwards a opportunity to start on the right side @ RG. His play was an improvement over Blythe's.
#2- Blythe's performance was undeniably better than Brian Allen's @ OC. Thus, we had improvement @ the OC post too.

Austin Blythe also had both of his shoulders worked on this off season...& here's the real stuff Blythe now has 58 NFL gms & 36 starts which includes 4 post season games. I'm thinking all that experience gives Blythe a solid foundation as a starting center going into his 5th season over Allen. In addition, Blythe has started @ RT/LG/RG & center in the NFL. Allen has suited up for 22 gms & started 9 all that @ center.

What's different in 2020 from that past two seasons is Allen has much more competition (maybe over a half dozen OL'ers) for his roster spot @ OC/OG whereas in the past Allen was just about guaranteed a roster spot by just showing up.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Bonifay makes a good point about Blythe being forced to play with 2 bum shoulders. Not to mention a lingering ankle issue for much of the season. Imagine what a healthy Blythe might be able to do.

Look, Rams clearly have chosen to roll with Blythe for this year. I’m gonna give Kromer the benefit of the doubt as to Blythe’s capabilities for this one season.

TBH, I suspect that this entire Ram OL might pleasantly surprise all of us.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If Brian Allen (who's entering his 3rd Ram season) is given an opportunity by Kromer to earn the starting OC post & win it......I am fine with that. I just do not see it, but it's possible.

Blythe was one of the smallest (or if not was the smallest) RG in the NFL in 2018 & 2019. There were clear signs that Blythe was already wearing down @ the end of the 2018 season @ RG. In 2019, that wear & tear continued & then the lower leg injury occurred.

That move of Blythe to center had some good stuff attached to it! It was a positive in two ways for the Rams OL:

#1- It gave rookie David Edwards a opportunity to start on the right side @ RG. His play was an improvement over Blythe's.
#2- Blythe's performance was undeniably better than Brian Allen's @ OC. Thus, we had improvement @ the OC post too.

Austin Blythe also had both of his shoulders worked on this off season...& here's the real stuff Blythe now has 58 NFL gms & 36 starts which includes 4 post season games. I'm thinking all that experience gives Blythe a solid foundation as a starting center going into his 5th season over Allen. In addition, Blythe has started @ RT/LG/RG & center in the NFL. Allen has suited up for 22 gms & started 9 all that @ center.

What's different in 2020 from that past two seasons is Allen has much more competition (maybe over a half dozen OL'ers) for his roster spot @ OC/OG whereas in the past Allen was just about guaranteed a roster spot by just showing up.

Spot on!! I’d add Austin Blythe knows The Rams offense better than any of the lineman & did an excellent job with the play calling. He has the trust of Jared Goff as well.

When Blythe was playing center there was a LBer flying in & Goff went away from the deep throw which he would have had open. He elected to throw off balance instead,but Austin Blythe slide over & picked it up. I think after watching film Jared Goff has a different opinion on Blythe.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Ok .. .I got to chime in here ... Allen had COVID 19 almost 2 mos. ago. He was never admitted to the hospital.. put on a ventilator or anything like that. he is MOST likely completely over it by now. what would that have to do with this competition coming in a month or 2 from now? 95% of the people who contacted this .. were either never even aware of it or had flu like symptoms.

statements like this boggle my mind

That's fair. I'm only saying this because my dad had mild symptoms, and he's still testing positive fourteen days later, even when he's feeling better. Therefore, I'm not going to take a positive case lightly. I apologize for the confusion in my statement.

I'm not convinced he can. Goff was under far too much pressure all season long. Delayed blitzes were getting to him as the MIKE would wait until Blythe double with Edwards than blitz knowing Austin didn't have the athleticism to redirect his blocking. Also, stunts were beating him frequently. More importantly, he was very poor on the second level. If O'Connell moves to a between the tackles run attack using a mixture of inside zone and gap blocking the center will be required to get to and execute second-level blocks particularly against the middle LB. Blythe is mismatched vs most MIKE LBs both in terms of physicality and strength. You don't get that MIKE blocked and those inside runs will get stuffed. Looking at his play to date that is exactly the type of blocking Blythe struggles at. He was fine as long as they only ran an outside zone with a horizontal concept. But defenses took that away last year. The Ram run game was forced to move inside and with Blythe, at center they struggled with Gurley getting the blame. But if you simply break down the o-line play that is where the real issue lay. It's important for the center to ID the MIKE and Blythe struggled at it as reflected by that Ram's 26th ranked run attack.

With Blythe at C, the Rams were 26th ranked in running the ball. The center has a lot to do with that. IMO Blythe isn't the presumptive starter anymore than Kiser is at MIKE. He will have to prove he can make those plays. In 4 years he hasn't shown he can. In fact other than Allen, Blythe should be in competition with Coleman and Trewyn who was a Remington Award winner at center. Both Trewyn and Shelton have mobility lacking in Austin, both are bigger with longer arms. Blythe had half a season to lock the start at center down and he simply didn't do it. Sure he had the experience edge, but he was still consistently physically outmatched as he has been his entire career. Do I think Trewyn is a true starter? No, I don't and I think Anchrum might take his place on the depth chart as he offers both center and OG versatility.

Goff was under a lot more pressure when Allen was at center. Like I mentioned, I'm no fan of Blythe either, but given between him and Allen, I'd take Blythe every day, including Sundays. Blythe at least looked good in 2018. Allen has never looked good, has never shown the slightest amount of potential, and - according to the physical eye test, which you seem to take stock in more than anything else - has less quickness than Blythe (as judged by the twenty second split and three-cone drill) and strength (Blythe put up more repetitions on the bench press than Allen.) Yes, he has longer arms than Blythe, but that's about it.

But honestly, I don't give two shits about Combine measurement. I know what I saw in games: Allen flat-out got Noteboom injured by his fucking pile diving. You can have a mean streak as an offensive lineman; in fact, I enjoy seeing mean streaks for them, but you can't do it when you're clearly beaten and push a guy into your teammate's leg. That's not a mean streak; that's being inexcusably stupid about it.

In addition, he failed to come up with the right line calls. Call it what you will, but he and Goff were rarely on the same page, and he was a shitty pass-blocker. Yes, having Blythe on the side at guard didn't help, but Allen had so many faults at center that I would be seriously shocked to see him win the job, especially coming off of an MCL injury. I'd be less shocked if Allen was cut or traded (most likely cut, although I wouldn't say "no" to a late round pick in this year's class.)

I'd personally love to see Trewyn and Anchrum dominate and take the reins on the backup interior sports, maybe even try Corbett as a center. I'd love to see Noteboom, Evans, Edwards, and Brewer take a positive step. I'd love to see Havenstein get back in shape and be a solid bookend to Whitworth.

But that's just my personal thoughts.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I would not be the least bit surprised if Allen was traded for a pick.
We'd be lucky to get a seventh-rounder for him based on his production and injury history.

If anybody wants him?

Believe me, they'll just risk it and wait till we cut him.
(IMO).

That being said, I hope the guy makes all pro next year.

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Where is all this stuff about Blythe as the starting center coming from? DaSilva has written about it but the reality is far different. The Rams did not sign him as a center. Yup, he's not signed as a center. It happens to be the last position he played. Another indication that the team is more than willing to move on from him. There are only 3 centers listed on the roster. Allen, Shelton, and Trewyn. Blythe is listed under a generic o-line designation. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of his "excellent play at center". Yes, he's listed down the list with all the rookies, UDFA, and the like.

I'm not saying he won't compete for the job at center, but how he's listed IMO is a reflection on how he's looked upon by the FO. In the numbers game if Blythe isn't the starting center and in the roster numbers game if it came down to Bythe the failed UDFA OG/C and Anchrum who do you think they would keep? IMO Anchrum not only has better physical metrics but is quicker and stronger.

IMO Blythe was signed as cheap insurance against injury or illness on the interior o-line. But IMO it's obvious that he's not their first choice. I've watched game vids of the Niners new rookie NT Kinlaw and he's impressive but at times inconsistent. But I know one thing, he would eat Blythe's lunch because he's exactly the kind of player Blythe struggles against. You have to know O'Connell knows that. If Blythe is the starting center the Niners will simply isolate Kinlaw on Blythe and since they play a base 4-3 that's not hard to do.

Bottom line is that the Rams need to improve over Blythe at center and not be content with the status quo. Blythe is strictly a backup talent and always has been. Why should the Rams be content with a player like that? Players like Anchrum are the answer to NTs like Kinlaw. Kinlaw shows one consistent flaw. He's inconsistent with his effort, and that is especially true when he's playing against equal talent. IMO the NFCW is probably the toughest division in the NFL. You build your team to dominate your division and in doing so dominate whoever you play. Snead is in many ways old school in team building. Old school is when you build an o-line you start with two positions, LT and center. Why do you think he drafted Noteboom in the 3rd round and Allen in the 4th round of the same draft. Oh BTW the Rams also targeted Corbett that same draft (2018) and it's why they traded for him. Old school you take your OT's in the second and third rounds with your OGs in rounds 3-5. Why? Because of the length of time, it takes to develop them and the high bust rate.

Also, remember Snead drafted Havenstein as a RT in the second round. Rob as a rookie looked good as a RT. He had decent feet back then. So what happened? He's at least 10 lbs heavier now. IMO that is the reason Rob lost his quickness. If he was serious about improving his play he should start with his weight. He's had weight problems dating back to his college days. He played his best at around 320 lbs. He needs to lose weight and train to regain his foot quickness. That smooth slide he had as a rookie has disappeared. His inconsistent play has coincided with his weight gain. Can he regain his form? Perhaps but I'm not holding my breath. This is basically a contract year for him despite having 3 more years. In 2019 he signed a big contract then immediately tanked. Only his large dead cap is keeping him on the roster for one more year. People say he was hurt, but he was tanking before he got hurt.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
TBH, I suspect that this entire Ram OL might pleasantly surprise all of us.

I agree.

The Rams approached this offseason with a lot of confidence in this oline.

As evident by the moves (the lack there of) they’ve made.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Where is all this stuff about Blythe as the starting center coming from? DaSilva has written about it but the reality is far different. The Rams did not sign him as a center. Yup, he's not signed as a center. It happens to be the last position he played. Another indication that the team is more than willing to move on from him. There are only 3 centers listed on the roster. Allen, Shelton, and Trewyn. Blythe is listed under a generic o-line designation. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of his "excellent play at center". Yes, he's listed down the list with all the rookies, UDFA, and the like.

I'm not saying he won't compete for the job at center, but how he's listed IMO is a reflection on how he's looked upon by the FO. In the numbers game if Blythe isn't the starting center and in the roster numbers game if it came down to Bythe the failed UDFA OG/C and Anchrum who do you think they would keep? IMO Anchrum not only has better physical metrics but is quicker and stronger.

IMO Blythe was signed as cheap insurance against injury or illness on the interior o-line. But IMO it's obvious that he's not their first choice. I've watched game vids of the Niners new rookie NT Kinlaw and he's impressive but at times inconsistent. But I know one thing, he would eat Blythe's lunch because he's exactly the kind of player Blythe struggles against. You have to know O'Connell knows that. If Blythe is the starting center the Niners will simply isolate Kinlaw on Blythe and since they play a base 4-3 that's not hard to do.

Bottom line is that the Rams need to improve over Blythe at center and not be content with the status quo. Blythe is strictly a backup talent and always has been. Why should the Rams be content with a player like that? Players like Anchrum are the answer to NTs like Kinlaw. Kinlaw shows one consistent flaw. He's inconsistent with his effort, and that is especially true when he's playing against equal talent. IMO the NFCW is probably the toughest division in the NFL. You build your team to dominate your division and in doing so dominate whoever you play. Snead is in many ways old school in team building. Old school is when you build an o-line you start with two positions, LT and center. Why do you think he drafted Noteboom in the 3rd round and Allen in the 4th round of the same draft. Oh BTW the Rams also targeted Corbett that same draft (2018) and it's why they traded for him. Old school you take your OT's in the second and third rounds with your OGs in rounds 3-5. Why? Because of the length of time, it takes to develop them and the high bust rate.

Also, remember Snead drafted Havenstein as a RT in the second round. Rob as a rookie looked good as a RT. He had decent feet back then. So what happened? He's at least 10 lbs heavier now. IMO that is the reason Rob lost his quickness. If he was serious about improving his play he should start with his weight. He's had weight problems dating back to his college days. He played his best at around 320 lbs. He needs to lose weight and train to regain his foot quickness. That smooth slide he had as a rookie has disappeared. His inconsistent play has coincided with his weight gain. Can he regain his form? Perhaps but I'm not holding my breath. This is basically a contract year for him despite having 3 more years. In 2019 he signed a big contract then immediately tanked. Only his large dead cap is keeping him on the roster for one more year. People say he was hurt, but he was tanking before he got hurt.
Good Day oldnotdead. You asked a question "Where is all this stuff about Blythe as the starting center coming from?" Since I have been actively posting stuff (mostly positive) on that subject & as a Ram fan have been discerning from all that I have consumed this off season. Yes, Allen was the Rams center for 9 gms in 2019 but was his overall performance so positive? Why would most all the Rams OL off season moves made in the targeted direction @ the back up reserve center position?

My position is clear to me that in 2020 Snead's many moves involving the center position is a solid validation sign that the Rams are planing & preparing to change direction & move on Brian Allen.

What moves???.....am I referring too?:

#1- First off I never agree into your thoughts that the Rams wanted to move on from Blythe & that's why they let him walk as you stated. My thinking was it was a friendly decision move by letting their starting OL'er of the last two previous seasons test the FA market.

It was obvious to me that the Rams seriously wanted Blythe back as bad as he wanted to continue to be part of this Ram Org. even after his injury troubled 2019 season. It was very early in the NFL 2020 FA market time period Snead signed Blythe to a team affordable 1 yr. guaranteed contract for $4 million.

Rams did this knowing the surgical procedure events to both his shoulders & the soft tissue damage to his lower leg early in 2019. IMO AB was clearly working with the Ram Org. in a bad time for the Rams current salary cap crisis with an eye towards the future Ram 2021 FA'cy when the Rams will be in much better salary cap situation. Might end up being a smart move by Blythe giving something early with the hopes that this would be a good move for the future as a Ram if he worked hard & gave all he had to help this 2020 team.

#2- In 2020 Rams signed CENTER Nate Trewyn to a 2-year contract.
#3- In 2020 Rams signed CENTER Jeremiah Kolone to a 2 yr contract.
#4- In 2020 Rams resigned Free Agent CENTER Coleman Shelton.
#5- In 2020 signed UDFA CENTER Cohl Cabral to a 3 yr contract immediately after the 2020 draft.

So the Rams are set to start Brian Allen with his 9 starts @ OC but in an afterthought invested $4 million (most all guaranteed) of its non-existent 2020 salary cap funds on a 2020 UFA OL'er Blythe whom they let walk earlier in order to be a non-starting reserve to join into competition with many other reserve OL'ers like Bobby Evans, Joseph Noteboom, Chandler Brewer, Jamil Demby & newly drafted Tremayne Anchrum along with four above listed back up centers?

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
#1- First off I never agree into your thoughts that the Rams wanted to move on from Blythe & that's why they let him walk as you stated.
Totally agree. Using that same logic would mean that they were going to move on from Whitworth. He was signed the same day as Blythe.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
One big part of the equasion I have not seen mentioned regarding Blythe;

Before they spent $4000000 to lock him up, (albeit for 1 year and with the idea that somebody else will be starting in 2021) is they have had to have asked Goff, "Do you feel safe behind Blythe?"
Can you work with Blythe?
What do you think of us re-signing Blythe?"

The quarterback, to operate correctly, has to have confidence in his Center and his o line in general.

I think Goff gave this re-signing the thumbs up.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
It's actually more common than people think and more serious than you would guess.