Tremayne Anchrum an interesting prospect

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
After watching the draft process video I posted something that the scout said about Anchrum caught my attention. So I went back and looked at game videos of Clemson. They weren't posted as Anchrum highlights but simply game vids. Tremayne played RT which I found interesting. Even more interesting was seeing his quickness and mobility. He's undersized to play RT in the NFL simply because of the speed and size he would be facing. But when you look at his physical metrics he would make a good center. His shorter stature wouldn't be a liability at center. His 33.5" arms will give him a decent play radius for the position. His mobility would be an added plus allowing him to make second-level blocks. It will be interesting if he is coached up as an OG/C. He could also play RT as a contingency player but considering their depth at OT that wouldn't be too likely. But I definitely could see him in the mix next year as a backup OG/C. I don't think they would release him because he might not clear waivers considering how so many players that the Rams release are snatched off the waiver wire.

If kept on the 53 man roster he would replace Demby this year. Tremayne is smart and from reports extremely coachable. I have no doubt that he can make a relatively smooth transition to OG in one year. Center is a much more difficult position to master so that transition likely carries on through 2021. I was impressed with his athleticism and think he could make a very capable backup OG/C. Next year teams will be carrying 4 reserves on the o-line each gameday. Tremayne would seem able to provide good depth on the interior line.

My original thought was he was a candidate for the PS but after watching his games I don't think he would clear waivers. That's why I believe he was drafted instead of signed as a UDFA.

Flint

Pro Bowler
I don’t know what to make of this guy, he did start on a national championship team but he was still available in the 7th round. Usually linemen from schools in the playoffs are a hot commodity what is it about him? Everything I’ve read sounds like he’s a good prospect but why didn’t anyone draft him sooner?

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don’t know what to make of this guy, he did start on a national championship team but he was still available in the 7th round. Usually linemen from schools in the playoffs are a hot commodity what is it about him? Everything I’ve read sounds like he’s a good prospect but why didn’t anyone draft him sooner?

Because of his height.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If kept on the 53 man roster

Just for your own edification the roster is now 55 with the new CBA with 48 active on game day. With the two additional spots IMO, the Rams will keep 10 Offensive Linemen with Anchrum being one of them.

LT....Whitfield, Noteboom
LG....Corbett, Brewer
C...Blythe, Allen (Really hope Shelton or Trewyn beats out Allen who is either cut or traded)
RG....Edwards, Anchrum
RT....Havenstein, Evans

Last edited:

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yeah and Donald was drafted lower because of his height.

I am hoping we find another (well not Diamond) but maybe Emerald in the Rough
Yeah I hope so too.
If he can transition to Center, I will get really intrigued.
At the end of the day, he was a 7th round pick, so I try to be as realistic about his potential as possible since I am naturally inclined to be optimistic about draft picks in the Snead era.
They clearly didn't prioritize the O-line in the draft, so they must have some interest in Anchrum and I am glad they do.

I have been a big believer in craft over measurements for a long time. If the film shows a player but the measurements show something else, toss the measurements.
The question was why, and I believe his height is the reason. Not my reason, not the Rams reason (They used a pick on him after all) just the overall reason why teams looked him over.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because he's unknown at the positions he'll likely have to transition to. If he didn't get hurt before the senior bowl and managed to put up good reps at center and guard he would've gone in the first 5 rounds I think

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Snead has shown over again & again that he will select college OT's to be major players in his interior OL. Some of these OT's stick some fade away.

First was he took starting LT Rodger Saffold & moved hims to OG. Snead drafted 3 OT'in the 2015 draft moved two of them instantly to the OG posts. Snead drafted two OT's in 2018 draft both played OG last season. Drafted two OT's in 2019 one started 9 gms @ OG. Snead traded for a college starting 4 yr LT then started him 7 gms @ LG in 2019.

Snead drafted Tremayne Anchrum who played OG in HS. When he came to Clemson he was inserted into the RT post whereas a true freshman he started 1 gms played in 11, As a sophomore he started 6 gms @ RT & played in 14 gms. IN his final 2 seasons he started 30 gms @ RT post. 37 starts & 55 gms worth of top competition. TA played in the @ the elite top of NCAA football. TA had experienced winning 2 National NCAA Championships & played in another. Now that's a early resume.

Snead always pays close attention to Senior Bowl gms.
Because he's unknown at the positions he'll likely have to transition to. If he didn't get hurt before the senior bowl and managed to put up good reps at center and guard he would've gone in the first 5 rounds I think
Being 6-2 315 lbs with a 6'7" wingspan is not all that bad of a situation going to this Rams team. Does Kromer really think that TA's lack of experience @ OG will be an issue? Most of all the negative cons listed on TA was directed toward his pass blocking mechanics concerns @ a NFL OT level.....nothing on any real concerns in run blocking.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Hope he turns out as well as a former Ram interior OL who was short with a big (also 6' 7") wingspan: Tom Newberry. I also really liked his college film. It's funny how I had watched their OL film but hadn't focused on Anchrum at all. It was surprising too. He was consistently good vs good competition.

But all that aside I'm trying to keep myself realistic for now and just hope he makes the roster. I am secretly battling high hopes though with visions of his squatty ass taking over Center. :biggrin:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Newberry-like would be great but Tom Newberry was a second round pick.

I would be happy if he was as good as Duval Love.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Last year's well-played CFP Semifinal vs an excellent Ohio St defense below. Anchrum is at RT and you can see he's not ideal there but he gets the job done outside of some plays where he gets beat in space. Him being a projection based on teams moving him inside... That's why we might get a steal in this guy. Can't wait to see how he holds up at LG... :D

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9LgrMJnY-8

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Hey Bonifay, Rodger Saffold was not drafted by Les Snead but by Billy Devaney. One of the few things 'ol Billy boy got right.
Just sayin'

~ArkyRamsFan~

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I also should have mentioned our UDFA signed to a contract too.....Cohl Cabral 6-5/305 lbs had been playing & starting LT for the AZ State since his freshman season. Cabral started the first 2 gms of his Sr season @ LT but was moved to center to start for the first time 11 games @ center to end his career there. Three NCAA seasons as a OT would fit right in with the above where Snead likes signing OT's & moving them to the interior.
Hey Bonifay, Rodger Saffold was not drafted by Les Snead but by Billy Devaney. One of the few things 'ol Billy boy got right.
Just sayin'
~ArkyRamsFan~
(y)True, but my point was once Snead arrived in 2012 the thoughts of moving the LT to the interior were beginning to get underway. By 2013 Saffold was already starting @ OG.

Last edited:

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just for your own edification the roster is now 55 with the new CBA with 48 active on game day. With the two additional spots IMO, the Rams will keep 10 Offensive Linemen with Anchrum being one of them.

If you go back and look at the proposal the roster increase is tied to the increase in the number of games. Since that won't happen until next year the roster remains at 53 this year. That said it's unclear if the game day activation increase is also delayed which I think it is. So in that case they will likely only carry 8 on the o-line active roster this year.

There were multiple reasons for his being overlooked by teams. The biggest is his height. When playing a much larger defensive player he was often forced to resort to cut blocking him. That may have worked in college but won't work in the NFL. There are issues with his hand play and his footwork as well. Make no mistake there are flaws in his game that need to be cleaned up. Also, IMO teams were recruiting him during the draft to sign as a UDFA since he was a bit of a project. Most teams and IMO that include the Rams look at Tremayne as an interior lineman which is somewhere he has never played. In his interviews Tremayne understands this and has expressed his willingness to do whatever is expected of him.

Snead mentioned that when he called Tremayne he was surprised by the lack of surprise. He later found out Tremayne thought it was another recruiting call to sign as a UDFA. So Snead said he's going to change how he words his calls in the future. But it's also a reason why I don't think they will take the chance on him clearing waivers.

Physical metrics are important, particularly when looked at in the context of a player's ability to play a particular position. At OT height and arm length matter in the OT's ability to matchup against pass rushers. Interior players need a different metric and again those metrics are judged in the context of their on-field performance. A case in point is Austin Blythe's scouting report as a prospective center in the 2016 draft. This is from Bleacher Report that year.

"Scouts mention short arms and small hands (9 ⅜”) when you talk to them about Blythe. He’s not overly explosive for an undersized player. At just 291 pounds, there are concerns that he’s only a fit in a zone scheme.

The on-field issues came when Blythe had to match power with power. Nose tackles with any length countered his hip snap and tossed him aside. He won’t win with a single punch because his short arms prevent a follow-up."

We have seen exactly that scenario in Blythe's play. His lack of length particularly his short arms puts him at a disadvantage from before the snap. He struggles to disengage and redirect when initially double blocking to pick up a delayed blitz. His short arms gives him a much smaller play radius than you want with an interior lineman. When you look at Blythe's frame there wasn't much room for physical development, i.e. adding muscle and bulk which has limited his ability to improve. He's been under 300 lbs his entire career validating that 2016 assessment. His physical shortcomings are reflected in his play to this day.

So why is Anchrum different since he is also 6'2" in height? Look at his other physical metrics and it becomes immediately obvious. His frame will allow him to add muscle though he is very strong now. He's already at 320 lbs so he's got the anchor needed to play inside. At center his lack of height isn't the issue as it is outside as it allows him to play with leverage. He's got 33.5" arms giving him a good play radius and allowing him to use his hands to punch an opponent and to keep him off his body when engaged. That is what Tremayne brings to play inside either at OG or center, which are physical attributes a player like Blythe simply will never match.

People wonder how Snead is able to glean information about players that others miss. It's because he incorporates analytics into his draft evaluations. The case in point is Taylor Rapp. Rapp dropped because of his slow time at the Combine. But Snead and his analytics team used analytics to time Taylor's actual play and extrapolate that into a realistic 40 time. That showed Rapp in uniform played at a 40 speed equivalent to running a 4.5-4.6 which is plenty fast for a SS. During an interview subsequent to the Combine, Taylor said he normally timed in the 4.5-4.6 range at Washington so he wasn't worried.

So what is analytics? Here is a link to an article I read in 2018. Snead has been using analytics for a long time so he's actually ahead of the curve in this way. IMO it's why his drafts are so good top to bottom. They use analytics to confirm what they see on film and to fill in holes. Snead himself has confirmed this in that video I posted about the draft.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

LT....Whitfield, Noteboom
LG....Corbett, Brewer
C...Blythe, Allen (Really hope Shelton or Trewyn beats out Allen who is either cut or traded)
RG....Edwards, Anchrum
RT....Havenstein, Evans
Your interests of just what happens @ this center post is very important. Blythe will get one last chance this season to greatly improve his overall play if not he will join the WWC display. Several signed center prospects will have the opportunities to secure a spot on this 2020 roster because of this OC situation is different from the other 4 posts.

The future looks very good to outstanding @ the OG posts with youthful Edwards/ Corbett/ Brewer & Anchrum in toll. The OT posts are not as bright @ the OG's but that's because of the pass injuries & rehabbing events & lingering questions on Havenstein & Noteboom. But That's why the Rams signed Whitworth to hold the fort until these two Ram drafted OT's are in full go. The Whitworth/ Noteboom/ Evans/ Havenstein quadruplets is a perfect blend of seasoning. Even reserve swing OG Brewer can add to these two posts if need be.

But finding a strong smart long term answer @ STARTING center will be one of the top missions for Kromer. I sure am hoping that two out of the half dozen will shine with promise (Blythe/ Allen/ Shelton/ Kolone/ Trewyn/ Cabral)

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
But finding a strong smart long term answer @ STARTING center will be one of the top missions for Kromer. I sure am hoping that two out of the half dozen will shine with promise (Blythe/ Allen/ Shelton/ Kolone/ Trewyn/ Cabral)

Kolone should be cut and might even not make it until training camp as I see Cohl Cabral having far more upside and taking his place on the practice squad. Coleman Shelton at 6-4 300lbs & Nate Trewyn at 6-4 315lbs are bigger then both Blythe & Allen, however, the knock on Shelton was he needed to add strength so he has had the opportunity to do that with no access to team facilities.

Quite frankly, if Blythe does not prove to be the long term answer the future Ram Center could be in the Collegiate ranks currently, like Josh Myers of The Ohio State University, but after this year, I don't hold out much hope drafting one early.

All in all, I know one poster feels strongly about Brian Allen still recapturing his starter center opportunity, but I did not come away with many positive accolades for Allen and I almost look at his injury as a blessing as it moved Blythe back to his natural position and the Offensive Line was far better with Blythe in the pivot with not only the line calls, but the snap consistency as well, so that's why I would love to see someone unseat Allen, but we might not have that opportunity because of the limited on the field work moving forward.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would agree with you on Jeremiah Kolone's spot on this team is now much weakened due to the addition of OG Anchrum & OC/OG Cabral. Kolone was more LG/RG than OC IMO. With the quick accession of swing OG/OT Chandler Brewer & the two new interior rookie OL'ers Kolone will need to do some serious improvement.

Carlton Shelton
has been of needing to upgraded his overall strength & power for some time now. At this point after experiencing being on 4 teams (SF/TB/AZ & LA) rosters that would include 2 completed NFL TC & preseasons under his belt while with the 9ers & Cards.... he needs to show major improvement. However, this will be the first Ram TC & Preseason entering 2020. Time might be running out on him as a starting OC prospect. This is the summer to do it.

I have to admit that the Nate Trewyn interests me. The Bucs went with three OC's last season on the active roster. Trewyn was later released in mid October when the Bucs were in need of OT help. Snead quickly signed him to the PS. Snead resigned him in 2020 so this will be his first Kromer camp. Trewyn is a large man who can get bigger. He is from DIII. Now much is known but this is what you will find when digging..."a tough, wide-bodied blocker at the pivot who plays with terrific fundamentals".