Tremayne Anchrum an interesting prospect

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
$3.9 Million puts Blythe in the middle of the pack of offensive guards, and that includes rookies. It's certainly not starter's pay. Also, he's signed for one year. Why would you start a guy at OC for one year when you have guys who they are looking at long term either as potential starters or at least backups?

The virus has added a new dimension of contingencies to building a roster. Lack of practices etc. So they sign a guy that knows the team and will take minimal time to prep to play. It's strictly a one year deal and no big investment even if he's a backup. Even Blythe himself said he was not offered a starting center position only the opportunity to compete at OG or center. We have seen him at OG and he's terrible. Just remember a rookie outplayed him last year at RG and Allen outplayed him at center both guys by a significant margin.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
$3.9 Million puts Blythe in the middle of the pack of offensive guards, and that includes rookies. It's certainly not starter's pay. Also, he's signed for one year. Why would you start a guy at OC for one year when you have guys who they are looking at long term either as potential starters or at least backups?

The virus has added a new dimension of contingencies to building a roster. Lack of practices etc. So they sign a guy that knows the team and will take minimal time to prep to play. It's strictly a one year deal and no big investment even if he's a backup. Even Blythe himself said he was not offered a starting center position only the opportunity to compete at OG or center. We have seen him at OG and he's terrible. Just remember a rookie outplayed him last year at RG and Allen outplayed him at center both guys by a significant margin.
Thanks for the opportunity for some conversation this morning again oldnotdead. Hope things are going good. I like you am old & not dead yet too!

Reference Blythe's pay...... "$3.9 Million puts Blythe in the middle of the pack of offensive guards, and that includes rookies. It's certainly not starter's pay."

Blythe's cash earned as a starter in 2018 was $1 mil & in 2019 he earned $2 mil. So for this upcoming seasons in 2020 he almost double earnings in one season. Blythe is sure earning more that our two current starting OG's.

Starters cap hit pay for:
#1-LT} Whitworth-$6,666,666 mil
#2-RT} Havenstein-$6,240,000 mil
#3-OC} Blythe-$3,900,000 mil
#4-LG} Corbett-$1,163,490 mil
#5-RG} Edwards-$741,130 K

"Also, he's signed for one year." I see the reason for the short one yr deal..... first I covered in yesterdays post but secondly was for the Rams Org. protection insurance due to the off season surgical repairs done to both shoulders & from any lingering effects from the 2019 "season long" soft tissue damage on that lower leg area.

"Why would you start a guy at OC for one year when you have guys who they are looking at long term either as potential starters or at least backups? " I see the Rams correctly trying to plan to have the best possible performing center start & that would be Blythe thus the sizeable raise Blythe received a few months back. I don't believe Rams see Blythe as a 1 yr starter @ center as you do.

IMO those multiple center prospects (Nate Trewyn/ Cohl Cabral/ Jeremiah Kolone) signed will soon be under examination are just way too inexperienced to be considered as a 2020 starting center for Goff in the McVay/O'Connell/Kromer offense. OC Coleman Shelton & Brian Allen both entering their 3rd TC's are different category. Kromer will have two very youthful starting OG's on both sides of whoever starts @ center. If its Corbett & Edwards then it will be their first season as initial starters. Rams need all the experience they can find to play center.

Hopefully Kromer learned a few things last seasons.... back up to Blythe ......Jamil Demby who replaced Blythe @ RG for 1 full gm & 3/4 quarters of the another was a serious downgrade from Blythe @ RG. Blythe looked like an all pro next to Demby. It was obvious that the Rams wanted the so called terrible small dinky Blythe inserted back into the starting lineup @ RG ASAP. It sure appeared that Blythe needed additional time of recovery & rest when he did start because of the noticeable limping Blythe.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
@oldnotdead

To me the contract for Blythe is simply your basic, "prove it" contract.

If he looks good this year, somebody would definitely sign him to a long-term contract for real money.

If he looks so so, he'll get signed to a backup type contract and if he sucks, he will be out of the league.

But at least he'll have four million dollars in the bank. :)

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I've never slept on any man.

And I'm way too old to start new things.

It’s all about the soul , Surfer!! Whatever floats your boat or waxes your board. Sometimes it’s just about being on the water,other times it riding the wave.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm not a fan of Allen or Blythe, but it's pretty obvious that they're going to stick with the latter as a starter because, unlike Allen, Blythe can actually make the line-calls. You're downplaying the importance of that. In addition, Allen is recovering from Covid-19. That's a huge deal for an athlete. If Allen hasn't fully recovered, hasn't been in workouts, he will struggle to make this team. It's not an axe to grind; it's a fact.

Remember this: John Franklin-Myers came in out of shape, and they cut him - and he was a mid-round pick a year ago who showed potential. Allen has not shown potential, and he's a fourth round pick from a year ago. If Allen isn't in game-shape, they'll either trade or cut him. I'm hoping for the former and wouldn't be surprised with the latter.

Blythe is a stop-gap solution, that much is true. That's why I'm hoping desperately that Corbett can play center well.
Neither of these clowns are starters which is important to remember. 2020 will be about masking and disguising the weakness we have at the pivot in fact, and hopefully with very good guard play which can really help there.

Between the two Blythe is the guy who has the mental side down, no doubt. But he's bad. I've rewatched every game at least 5x times, some as many as 10x or more times (the final SF game being an example) and his play is inconsistent (he cannot handle any sort of physical DL basically) the reason they gave him a one year contract is because they knew they were going to eat big cap hits to clear two non-effective players and didn't want to be short at the position. Blythe got a one year deal that ensures the line calls are made, but he is nothing more than a place holder and a poor one at that. He is subpar in the run game and the pass game. That is not compensated for by his line call ability IMO.

Allen is shit in pass pro which is a no-go. And his line calls were iffy at best, given the way the line reacted to a change at the position. But what is interesting with him is if he can improve his pass pro he will absolutely be in the mix for the job because Blythe is such a poor starter.

At this point I'm holding out hope that they stick Anchrum's stubby ass at Center and leave him there. But if Anchrum is capable of competing at OG (which I have to think is possible even if it's unlikely) they need him to push Corbett. Because Corbett needs to improve in the run game.

Bottom line here is we don't have a good answer at Center. That starter level player is not on the roster. What that means is anything goes at the position, and I wouldn't rule out any of the depth options as stepping up and winning the job won't require the level of play some other lines would. Could one of them (Allen, Shelton, Anchrum) develop into a starter? Of course. Is it likely? No. Same with Blythe btw. We know what he is. The dude should be the first OG/C off the bench on our depth chart not our starter. Difference between him and these others is he's not gonna get any better. But the others might.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Neither of these clowns are starters which is important to remember. 2020 will be about masking and disguising the weakness we have at the pivot in fact, and hopefully with very good guard play which can really help there.

Between the two Blythe is the guy who has the mental side down, no doubt. But he's bad. I've rewatched every game at least 5x times, some as many as 10x or more times (the final SF game being an example) and his play is inconsistent (he cannot handle any sort of physical DL basically) the reason they gave him a one year contract is because they knew they were going to eat big cap hits to clear two non-effective players and didn't want to be short at the position. Blythe got a one year deal that ensures the line calls are made, but he is nothing more than a place holder and a poor one at that. He is subpar in the run game and the pass game. That is not compensated for by his line call ability IMO.

Allen is shit in pass pro which is a no-go. And his line calls were iffy at best, given the way the line reacted to a change at the position. But what is interesting with him is if he can improve his pass pro he will absolutely be in the mix for the job because Blythe is such a poor starter.

At this point I'm holding out hope that they stick Anchrum's stubby ass at Center and leave him there. But if Anchrum is capable of competing at OG (which I have to think is possible even if it's unlikely) they need him to push Corbett. Because Corbett needs to improve in the run game.

Bottom line here is we don't have a good answer at Center. That starter level player is not on the roster. What that means is anything goes at the position, and I wouldn't rule out any of the depth options as stepping up and winning the job won't require the level of play some other lines would. Could one of them (Allen, Shelton, Anchrum) develop into a starter? Of course. Is it likely? No. Same with Blythe btw. We know what he is. The dude should be the first OG/C off the bench on our depth chart not our starter. Difference between him and these others is he's not gonna get any better. But the others might.

Yeah, I honestly don't know if our starting center is on the roster. Like I mentioned, I don't like Allen or Blythe (or Shelton, for that matter). I just see Blythe as the lesser of two evils, and I'm hoping that one of our many interior prospects (Corbett, Anchrum, Trewyn, or Cabral) can step up and win the job from them.

So, yeah, I agree on that count.

Flint

Pro Bowler

So why was this not addressed at all? I’m not up on my center prospects but from what I’ve read there were some guys who could’ve stepped in.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My guess @Flint is the Gurley & Cooks moves forced their hand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Tremayne Anchrum intangible factors vital for 2020 Rams

As the LA Rams prepared for the 2020 NFL Draft, the consensus among fans was consistent. The LA Rams needed an offensive tackle to compete with left tackle Andrew Whitworth, a center who could start right out of the gates, and a versatile offensive lineman who could slide in and start at virtually any offensive line position at any time in 2020. And since the LA Rams possessed a limited number of picks, the conclusion was clear. Fans wanted the Rams to focus upon the offensive line in the 2020 NFL Draft.

The Rams delivered just one offensive lineman from the draft, with the 250th pick of the 2020 NFL Draft the LA Rams select offensive lineman Tremayne Anchrum from Clemson. The Eagles Wire from USAToday.com projected Anchrum as a day-two prospect, citing that he allowed the fewest amount of quarterback pressures in the ACC for the past two seasons. They go on to share that he was the eighth-ranked offensive guard by ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. He was also on the Houston Texans radar, interviewing with Houston Texans John Harris during the Senior Bowl activities.

Tremayne Anchrum delivers an unexpected impression

The perception of fans when coming to the expectations of NFL offensive linemen is big powerful and very athletically oriented. That is not what you find when you encounter Anchrum. What you do find is someone who can discuss the fundamentals of virtually any football position, the history of the game, the factors of success, and the most vital keys to his success at his position.

Behind that intelligence is a ferocity of a many who stands much taller inside than his 6-foot-2 frame, much stronger than his 314-pound weight. He started at the right tackle spot for Clemson University because he was the best offensive lineman for that job. But he has the ability to slide to any offensive line position for the Rams in a pinch, and will likely do very well.

Why is Anchrum so vital to Rams in 2020?

The LA Rams did not ignore team needs in the 2020 NFL Draft. Rather, the Rams did not have the right players available at their moments of draft selection. So the Rams chose players to help the team. It’s clear that if the Rams choices of Cam Akers, Van Jefferson, Terrell Lewis, and the others pan out, the LA Rams team will be much improved in 2020. Meanwhile, the Rams have given the offensive line a year of both Andrew Whitworth and Austin Blythe to figure things out. Tremayne Anchrum is part of that figuring.

Part of the NFL’s adaptations to the LA Rams is turning smaller and faster on the edge rushers and creating a rapidly collapsing pocket that simply does not give quarterbacks enough time. So the logical counter is to go smaller, stronger, and faster on the outside as well. While that may be the future strategy, for 2020, Anchrum is a fundamentally sound offensive lineman arriving from a successful program to a group whose morale is shaken. Fans expected an infusion of enthusiastic talent from college to swell the ranks at the offensive line position. Tremayne Anchrum is the lone rookie riding in to help the Rams in the trenches. But be patient. One man can make a huge difference in the NFL. Tremayne Anchrum can be such a man.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Being so young but having a well grown in working brain with a great understanding of the fundamentals of every position of football will surely add many virtual inches to his overall 6-2 inch frame in many ways. My thoughts on this 2020 draft selection have been evolving rather quickly on the highly positive side even before the opening of TC.

I am still not sure how this interesting OL piece will fall into line for this team this season but Tremayne Anchrum may end up working out in four OL posts as a top reserve (exception to the LT) before too long. I hope that his short stature will not hinder Kromers exploring the RT post....... But you will not find many, if you can find any @ all ........effective 6-2 starting NFL OT's in today's NFL. So the best bet for TA will be the interior OL to seek his treasure & future vocation.

RG would be the quickest & most easy post for TA to convert too & that's where 2019 best rookie OL'er David Edwards ended up starting most of his games. But many members still think that Edward's might be a better & effective Ram OL'er performing in the LG or RT posts, {IF there were a reason for his talents elsewhere}. Then there's the conspicuous glaring future void @ starting center (after this season) that stirs others here @ ROD. Now that's a post where brains will come in handy!

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If ever there was a surname that says "Center" it's gotta be "Anchrum." Eager to get to camp and preseason so there will be that chance we hear he's kicking ass there.

Also... Goff's a tall dude and all, and the league has trended away from shorter OL on the interior (some huge OGs nowadays and Cs are big too now), but IMO it's a good thing to have a shorter lineup of guys on the interior for the QB to see better. If this guy can settle in as part of that competition on the interior at OG we'll have two guys that give Goff some extra eyeball space (our C depth chart has Blythe at 6'3" and Allen at 6'2"). That's not to say he'll be able to unseat Corbett but I do like the shorter interior types and always have being an older fan.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If ever there was a surname that says "Center" it's gotta be "Anchrum." Eager to get to camp and preseason so there will be that chance we hear he's kicking ass there.

Also... Goff's a tall dude and all, and the league has trended away from shorter OL on the interior (some huge OGs nowadays and Cs are big too now), but IMO it's a good thing to have a shorter lineup of guys on the interior for the QB to see better. If this guy can settle in as part of that competition on the interior at OG we'll have two guys that give Goff some extra eyeball space (our C depth chart has Blythe at 6'3" and Allen at 6'2"). That's not to say he'll be able to unseat Corbett but I do like the shorter interior types and always have being an older fan.

Ken Iman 6-1
Rich Saul 6-3
Doug Smith 6-3
Mike Gruttaduaria 6-3
Andy McCollum 6-4
John Sullivan 6-4
Brian Allen 6-1 1/8th
Austin Blythe 6-2 1/8th