Torry Holt ‘We Revolutionized the Game’

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Athos

Legend
They definitely revolutionized the game. Teams saw what they did and wanted to do it. They just couldn't do it. Not being repeatable doesn't make it not revolutionary. It was innovative. Like Holt said, players weren't running deep routes like that, at that rate, if at all.

Problem was, there won't be another team in NFL history with the roster necessary to pull it off. They arguably had the best QB, best WR tandem, and best hybrid RB in the game on the same team. An and offensive wizard in the mind of Martz.

Hell, I would argue that Chip Kelly's offense is more revolutionary now and in college than Martz's GSOT days.

No way. I'd argue that what Chip is trying to do is a form of the GSOT. He has the closest thing to Marshall in the NFL in McCoy (not that McCoy is even close). Kelly runs that O at an insane speed. GSOT was all about high-end speed and precision. You flat out weren't catching them and they'd run you ragged trying.

MrMotes

Starter
Not even debatable in my book.

The GSOT is a huge part of the reason conventional wisdom now says the NFL is a passing league. When was the last time Tom Jackson lectured a head coach on running the ball?

Remember when empty backfield sets were radical? Now they're common place.

Remember the FB position? We were on the forefront of that too.

Absolutely the GSOT revolutionized the game...

jap

Legend
They definitely revolutionized the game. Teams saw what they did and wanted to do it. They just couldn't do it. Not being repeatable doesn't make it not revolutionary. It was innovative. Like Holt said, players weren't running deep routes like that, at that rate, if at all.

Problem was, there won't be another team in NFL history with the roster necessary to pull it off. They arguably had the best QB, best WR tandem, and best hybrid RB in the game on the same team. An and offensive wizard in the mind of Martz.

One could argue that the GSOT set the new standard for fast & furious offenses.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
... never short of a word Torry is he ?? Brilliant rookie season -- one of the major reasons the GSOT worked - he came in and ran and caught the football , as we have seen recently not an easy thing for a rookie player to do ! What a season that was -- can't believe it has been 15 years.

GO RAMS !!!!!

A55VA6

Legend
My favorite player as a kid growing up. Him and Marshall were my dudes! Love Torry and always love seeing him rep the Rams hard all day everyday.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Fast fact about a GSOT Player; Only "1 Player" in the history of the NFL, besides Faulk, has ever surpassed 1000 yards Rushing and 1000 yards receiving in the same Season!! ( this player will remain nameless here, because he was on a Team we all hate! ):D

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
... never short of a word Torry is he ?? Brilliant rookie season -- one of the major reasons the GSOT worked - he came in and ran and caught the football , as we have seen recently not an easy thing for a rookie player to do ! What a season that was -- can't believe it has been 15 years.

GO RAMS !!!!!
Ha! Love the avatar man.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is worth a bump.

If you hadn't watched this video, check it out. Torry represents the Rams proudly.