Torry Holt ‘We Revolutionized the Game’

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Torry Holt joins the NFL Network to talk about the Rams “Greatest Show on Turf” teams. (5:00)

Link

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Nice to see that Torry is still representing the Rams organization. It was painful to see Issac with the 49ers and Holt in a Jags uniform. Glad Torry is hanging around.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nice to see that Torry is still representing the Rams organization. It was painful to see Issac with the 49ers and Holt in a Jags uniform. Glad Torry is hanging around.
You must be wiping this from your memory. And that's smart.

Torry+Holt+New+England+Patriots+Training+Camp+YYM2VUSvJHil.jpg

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I would take the 83 redskins as my favorite offense....because of balance....Oops did I say that on this thread?

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
There is no doubt why he is my favorite ram ever. He also talks up the team as often as possible. Warner rarely does and Marshall only does when asked. I feel like Torry could he asked how he was feeling and he would respond with "great, I was part of the GSOT"

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Love Holt and that segment, but disagree with the concept the GSOT was a revolution. It has not become the way teams play football, it's the opposite -- most teams throw short, safe passes and are scared of taking too much risk on offense (the so-called West Coast Offense concept). The GSOT system is rare to spread because to make it work you need unique talent. A great statement of just how talented that Rams team was is just looking at the negative turnover margin for the 2001 team yet it still won 14 games. A revolution is change that becomes the norm, the GSOT was anything but a repeatable norm because it was talent-driven, not system-driven. Sadly, the bland fast-food of the west coast offense is so easy to plug and dink that's what most teams pick because it's safe.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Love Holt and that segment, but disagree with the concept the GSOT was a revolution. It has not become the way teams play football, it's the opposite -- most teams throw short, safe passes and are scared of taking too much risk on offense (the so-called West Coast Offense concept). The GSOT system is rare to spread because to make it work you need unique talent. A great statement of just how talented that Rams team was is just looking at the negative turnover margin for the 2001 team yet it still won 14 games. A revolution is change that becomes the norm, the GSOT was anything but a repeatable norm because it was talent-driven, not system-driven. Sadly, the bland fast-food of the west coast offense is so easy to plug and dink that's what most teams pick because it's safe.
Welcome to the board, fatteh.

I'd say they did revolutionize the game, albeit briefly. Same thing Miami did with the wildcat. Briefly. And the read-option (which will also be brief).

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Are we still the only team to score 500 points or more in 3 consecutive seasons? I feel like the answer is no because of the outrageous amount of passing that goes on. I bet the GSOT would score even more points in today's NFL.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Are we still the only team to score 500 points or more in 3 consecutive seasons? I feel like the answer is no because of the outrageous amount of passing that goes on. I bet the GSOT would score even more points in today's NFL.
Yeah, the patriots did it in 10, 11 and 12.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I believe Torry's wright when he says '....the GSOT would beat any other Offence in NFL history....'

Irish

Starter
The GSOT may be the single greatest collection of prolific skill players, innovative play calling and game planning, and a quarterback who literally no one saw coming. It was a special alchemy that yielded something truly unique.

That being said, I disagree that they revolutionized anything. As mentioned above, the Wildcat and the read option are more revolutionary than the GSOT or Brady's amazing NE teams simply because they flipped the equation on what offenses and positions can be expected to do and what defenses would need to game plan for.

The GSOT was always, at its core, run the ball with your transcendent RB behind your criminally underrated O line (Pace not withstanding), or have your transcendent QB throw the ball all over the yard to maybe the greatest collection of WR and TE talent in NFL history. Lots of teams had done that before 1999, and many have done it since; history and Canton are chock full of those stories, from Air Coryell to the 90s Cowboys to the Patriots Dynasty and PMannings amazing teams. Hell, I would argue that Chip Kelly's offense is more revolutionary now and in college than Martz's GSOT days.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Welcome Bot.
The irony with the west coast offense is that it was designed to be touch down / check down. It became check down / check down.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
There is no doubt why he is my favorite ram ever. He also talks up the team as often as possible. Warner rarely does and Marshall only does when asked. I feel like Torry could he asked how he was feeling and he would respond with "great, I was part of the GSOT"

Faulk holds himself back because he's an anyst.

No question our trouncing of the NFL changed the game. No knew what hit them.