Tony Gonzalez: Matt Ryan is excellent, but not elite

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Tony Gonzalez: Matt Ryan is excellent, but not elite
Posted by Josh Alper on February 6, 2014, 4:47 PM EST
1c6ffc2adf2eb9ff9a76c80a029553ba-e1391723234439.jpeg
AP
A couple of years back, the question of whether or not Eli Manning was an elite quarterback became an offseason discussion topic.

The question of whether or not that modifier applies to another quarterback has been raised by the quarterback’s recently retired tight end. ESPN the Magazine has an upcoming interview with Tony Gonzalez that features Gonzalez placing Ryan in a category just below elite.

“Matt’s an excellent quarterback. But he’s not elite. He’s this close. He’ll get there, but he has some learning to do,” Gonzalez said, via NFL Live on ESPN.

The line between the adjectives we use to describe a quarterback’s place are hard to define, although that doesn’t make it easier to put up much of an argument with Gonzalez’s assessment. Ryan remained a fairly effective quarterback in 2013 while dealing with injured receivers and a bad offensive line and is solidly in the top half of quarterbacks in the NFL, but winning big in the playoffs is usually a prerequisite for getting the elite label.

In the interview, Gonzalez also says that he’d be open to a possible return next season for the stretch run with a team that’s established itself as a championship contender. If Ryan makes the improvement that Gonzalez believes he needs, the Falcons would be better positioned to be such a team whether or not Gonzalez decides to strap their helmet back on in 2014.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Oof. Anyone got a jack? We'll need to get Matty Ice out from under the bus.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I don't think he said anything bad. He thinks he's great and very close to being an elite QB and that he will someday. Hard to argue that. Matty Ice is still young and has room to grow. Now if Matty thinks he is already elite and is already elite and hit his peak, then something would be wrong, but nothing suggests that.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Matt Ryan is not at the P Manning, Brees, Brady, and Rogers level.

By that standard; he's not elite.

But who cares? He's damn good and capable of winning a SB.

If Wilson can play like he did down the stretch, and win, many others can. It's a team sport.

jjab360

Legend
I think he softened the blow with the "He'll get there" comment. Anyways, Matty Ice is one of the good guys when he's not playing against the Rams. I hope they can fix the O-line in front of him.

I also found this comment:
Gonzalez also says that he’d be open to a possible return next season for the stretch run with a team that’s established itself as a championship contender
pretty interesting. I've heard of a bandwagon fan, but bandwagon player is a new term to me, lol.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Pretty blunt, and I tend to agree with him.

I do and I don't,he isn't but I don't think he will be, but IMO as X says what the bus hath run over can not be unrunover
er sumthin like that

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Props to Tony for calling it he sees it, even if you don't agree with him you have to hand it to him for not just say "oh yeah he's elite blahbalhblah"

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Props to Tony for calling it he sees it, even if you don't agree with him you have to hand it to him for not just say "oh yeah he's elite blahbalhblah"

Well you aint elite neither, someday maybe, but not until you attend my camp you won't be

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm not elite......

I am a ninja warlock or whatever the fuck Sheen called himself......I'm at that level.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Not to question T Gonz, but how would he know what an "elite" QB throws like? I think Trent Green was the closest thing to an "elite" QQB that he ever played with before Ryan. That said, I completely agree with him.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Plus,,, I hear Natty Ice is a shitty beer too. More than a few were talking shit about it in that beer thread.

Fuck the falcons btw.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Plus,,, I hear Natty Ice is a shitty beer too. More than a few were talking shit about it in that beer thread.

Fuck the falcons btw.

Hahahahaha......you say "fuck the (insert team here) btw" about every team hahahahahaha it awesome.

Everyone is the enemy........

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron

Natty Ice is horrible. Natty light on the other hand isn't so bad when your broke as fuck lol. Can't even imagine how much Natty light I drank in my shit apartment when every night was a party but with barely any money.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Natty Ice is horrible. Natty light on the other hand isn't so bad when your broke as fuck lol. Can't even imagine how much Natty light I drank in my shit apartment when every night was a party but with barely any money.

Not elite either.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
lmao can't argue that one bit. Don't think anyone in the history of mankind has ever used the words Natty light and elite in the same sentence ever.
You know, I drank so much of it when I was in college I develped a taste for it! Nothing wrong with and ice cold beer "with a taste for food".

moklerman

Warner-phile
Tony Gonzalez said:
“Matt’s an excellent quarterback. But he’s not elite. He’s this close. He’ll get there, but he has some learning to do,”
Fuckin' ESPN. Talk about stirring the shit. Since when is it such an indictment to be called an excellent quarterback who's going to be elite?