Todd Gurley Reveals When He Knew LA Didn't Believe In Him Anymore

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

Todd Gurley Reveals When He Knew LA Didn't Believe In Him Anymore​

Former Los Angeles Rams running back Todd Gurley fell from his spot as one of the best players in the NFL pretty quickly. After becoming a first-team All-Pro and the NFL rushing touchdown leader in both 2017 and 2018 and the NFL Offensive Player of the Year in 2017, Gurley was released after the 2019 season and was out of the NFL after the 2020 season.

For Gurley, he realized his time with the Rams was coming to a close late in the 2019 season, his final team with the year. While dealing with knee issues that year, Gurley was struggling and had yet to put up a 100-yard game leading into their game against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Nov 10. He was rolling in that game, but the Rams didn't use him during the fourth quarter.

“I think we were playing Pittsburgh and I ain’t have 100 yards the whole season and I was going crazy, though,” Gurley said on The 25 10 Show. “I don’t know, like 90 yards, but the fourth quarter didn’t even start. … Basically, I didn’t even get the ball in the whole fourth quarter. After that, that was self-explanatory. We had a meeting with my running backs coach … me, the running backs coach and McVay. I don’t think he thought I could do it anymore. I do remember that game. And my agent was mad. Everybody be more mad for me. I just be super chill. I don’t really be raging mad. People are like, ‘I know you mad.’ I’m like, ‘Bro, why you madder than me?’ But I do remember that game. Was going crazy and then didn’t touch the ball the whole fourth quarter. … That was really when the writing was on the wall.”

The descent for Gurley was quick, but there were signs even leading up to the game against the Steelers made it clear for Gurley and his team. Before that final season with the Rams, Gurley was splitting carries with C.J. Anderson during the 2018 playoffs and Super Bowl run. Anderson saw more carries and total touches in two out of three playoff games, and Gurley had 10 carries or less in the final two games. After serving as the team's primary bell-cow and offensive weapon, his role was reduced at the end of an All-Pro season.

Following the disappointing 2019 campaign, Gurley spent one season with the Atlanta Falcons in 2020. He hasn't played in the NFL since, despite being just 29 years old.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Unfortunately, the NFL is full of tragic stories like his, although rarely do they involve a player that reached such great heights so quickly only to fall from grace just as fast.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I love me some TG, but what is the point of this? It's not like the Rams were wrong about his health and ability at the time. Not to mention the $$$ they paid him for his services. TG is kinda weird I think...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Ah, the infamous eye roll game. We were all wondering why Gurley wasn't used in the 4th qtr against the stealers in such a close game.

A video surfaced after the game with Mcvay talking to Gurley and as he walked away Gurley gave the eye roll. Mcvay probably gave the ole "we're trying to get you on the field" speech.

Gurley may have lost some agility that season but he was a machine inside the 10-yard line. A guaranteed td scoring machine.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I love me some TG, but what is the point of this? It's not like the Rams were wrong about his health and ability at the time. Not to mention the $$$ they paid him for his services. TG is kinda weird I think...
Did he just come outright and say this? Or did someone elicit this from him and it's the only clip they used?

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
His desire to not have a degenerative knee condition?
I’m not questioning the legitimacy of his injury. I’ve just rarely seen a player so chill about his career being cut short.

I never got the impression that he loved the game.

Ram65

Legend
Is there a controversy concerning TG and the Rams that I'm unaware of?

He was great then got hurt (knee) and couldn't produce as he did. It happens to RBs faster than other players. Too bad for everyone involved. He was so much fun to watch. He surprised me with his ability to turn the corner when defenders had the angle on him. Then he could lower the boom and knock defenders away. Speed. quickness and power.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m not questioning the legitimacy of his injury. I’ve just rarely seen a player so chill about his career being cut short.

I never got the impression that he loved the game.

Did you get the impression that he was the mvp during the 2017 season and all of the 2018 season until his knee couldn't take it anymore?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is there a controversy concerning TG and the Rams that I'm unaware of?

Well, he did ask for money from Rams publicly just after covid hit.

This after they paid him handsomely when they didn't really need to after the 17 season. They could have played hard ball with him. Instead they rewarded him with a huge contract because they reward good play.

He showed no class bringing that up like the Rams stiffed him.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Did you get the impression that he was the mvp during the 2017 season and all of the 2018 season until his knee couldn't take it anymore?

Do you like fried pickles?

(We are playing the “Irrelevant Question Game,” right?)

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Gurley: I went to Atlanta. I kind of had to... because I played at Georgia... [and] the season was sorry. After that it was like... I live in L.A. I’m chilling. I’ve [done] everything... I would love to have a ring... but I went to a Super Bowl, lost. I wasn’t really tripping.
I feel like I did a lot of stuff that I never would’ve thought I would’ve ever did.... It really came down to like, it didn’t really matter if I scored 10 more touchdowns or if I scored zero... It wasn’t going to satisfy me no more.
Those are not the words of someone who truly loves the game, in my book.

That’s totally fine, by the way. He used his talents to become a very rich man at a very young age. More power to him.

There’s a reason, though, why we revere guys like Jack Youngblood who played with a broken leg, or Jackie Slater, who suited up for 259 games as an OL.

Gurley was a great talent. Too bad it was fleeting.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Those are not the words of someone who truly loves the game, in my book.

That’s totally fine, by the way. He used his talents to become a very rich man at a very young age. More power to him.

There’s a reason, though, why we revere guys like Jack Youngblood who played with a broken leg, or Jackie Slater, who suited up for 259 games as an OL.

Gurley was a great talent. Too bad it was fleeting.
His knee was shot. He couldn't do it anymore. He recognized it time to walk away. Aaron Donald just walked away because he no longer had passion for the game. Should we lecture him about desire?

Gurley couldn't change his health issue. I think it's good that he was at peace with walking away. Some guys wouldn't have handled their career being cut so short well. Would have devastated them.

Man went from a MVP-caliber player to a shell of himself almost overnight, before he hit what's normally the prime of a player's career. I'm not going to throw shade at him because he accepted what he couldn't change and moved forward with his life.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
His knee was shot. He couldn't do it anymore. He recognized it time to walk away. Aaron Donald just walked away because he no longer had passion for the game. Should we lecture him about desire?

Gurley couldn't change his health issue. I think it's good that he was at peace with walking away. Some guys wouldn't have handled their career being cut so short well. Would have devastated them.

Man went from a MVP-caliber player to a shell of himself almost overnight, before he hit what's normally the prime of a player's career. I'm not going to throw shade at him because he accepted what he couldn't change and moved forward with his life.
Comparing Gurley to Donald is laughable.

You can interpret his words and demeanor as you wish. So can I.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
The Gurley story is beginning to remind me of Old Yeller.

Such a tragedy.

And his attitude was fine until he knew it was over.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah - total DIVA!! He had his little crew sort of like he said.

I use to watch Todd Gurley closely.His bread & butter was being able to catch the ball out of the backfield.He use to work real hard at it & took all kinds of extra reps those years he was great.

His mind set sort of changed after getting paid.Never understood why The Rams didn’t wait for him to be a Free Agent.Same with Jared Goff for those guys to get PAID! AD99 was a different story,but The Rams did sort of hold him out.

I know Kevin Demoff is a Players agent type.He likes players to get paid for the most part.The Rams also know the value of the CAP,and those players above helped understanding that.

Jalen Ramsey is sort of weird in that why,but much more vocal.He was an EXCELLENT RAM as well though.He cost The Rams a lot.Those players above until NOW were The Rams last FIRST ROUND PICKS,until JARRED VERSE!!

Matthew Stafford is going to get paid.As a LA Sports Fan.LaBron just opted out & Staffords buddy Kershaw(hate the dodgers)our HOF players.I believe in Clayton on his comeback!!!

Off subject,but Gurley seemed like a loose cannon.He knew sport’s history well though.I never understood him all that well & now after reading his comments makes it even more like that.

TODD GURLEY-Super Bowl End of 3rd Qrt!! FREAKING BS HOLDING.The Rams released John Sullivan. — what should’ve been.
I WISH The REFS didn’t make that holding call.

Last year Big Rob’s & no call on Pucka hurt.The thing is that Sullivan holding call was such BS!!!
I was working & someone said they called holding.I was like what & he said it was a Bad call.Neutral person.

Todd Gurley not talking about his own DECLINE is what sucks.He should address that instead of complaining about The Rams & Mcvay.
—Cam Akers is a whole different story.what a joke.Todd Gurley was looking at The HOF!!!