Todd Gurley College Highlights

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Oh, and far as being a bulldozer or tough runner

jEbmGb.gif

giphy.gif
That hit in the 2nd gif. Dayamn.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I hope you're right guys, and I'm just being pessimistic, I hope by the middle of the season, he's brushed off all my doubts, but until I see him in horns ON the playing-field, lasting whole games, I'm still going to to be weary...

ntw @Spider2YB - is that against the Gamecocks? I hope that was good play by Gurley and not just poor tackling by them - don't they have one of the worse run-defences in the nation??

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
I hope you're right guys, and I'm just being pessimistic, I hope by the middle of the season, he's brushed off all my doubts, but until I see him in horns ON the playing-field, lasting whole games, I'm still going to to be weary...

ntw @Spider2YB - is that against the Gamecocks? I hope that was good play by Gurley and not just poor tackling by them - don't they have one of the worse run-defences in the nation??

You seem to be really reaching to make your point. So what if that was against South Carolina? You said he struggled unless he had open space and wide running lanes. If you don't think that brief clip disproves that, then watch him as an 18 year old freshman against Florida (#1 D in the nation in 2012-only gave up 100 yards to one running back...guess who?) and watch him against Bama in the SEC title game, who also had a top 5 defense.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
You seem to be really reaching to make your point. So what if that was against South Carolina? You said he struggled unless he had open space and wide running lanes. If you don't think that brief clip disproves that, then watch him as an 18 year old freshman against Florida (#1 D in the nation in 2012-only gave up 100 yards to one running back...guess who?) and watch him against Bama in the SEC title game, who also had a top 5 defense.

Not reaching at all, I just can't see him play like that and last the game against say the Seahawks or Cardinals. I don't bother looking at film of 18 year old freshmen, especially at the RB position. I'm not sure I mentioned that he struggled at all, I just mentioned he seems to be running in space, and I believe I also liked this to Tavon Austin. His production has not been the same as in college due to the limited amount of space on the NFL playing field. Maybe I do need to revisit some tapes. I understand that you love the pick, and won't have a word said against Gurley, as do many others, I was purely being devils advocate as I mentioned off the bat. I'm just not 100% impressed with him in tight spaces and he seems to want to cut-back and look for a run around a little too often, sometimes a stiff arm and running outside is the best option, I guess as his vision improves that will be better.

My heart wants to believe the hype, but my head is being rational with this one - it's not many years ago that Marcus Lattimore was being hailed as the future back of a franchise...

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Ellis Johnson (Auburn's DC): "Going back and looking at their early-season films, Gurley's like a time bomb," Johnson said. "When is he going to get that 95-yard kickoff, when is he going to hit that 40-yard run, when is he going to catch that 35-yard screen pass? You got to be exactly right on him every time because he's going either going to break the physical tackle or he's going to out run the space tackle. He's a specimen."

Nice quote though ;)

Psycho_X

Legend
Huh, he's left handed. No point to that realization just something I noticed lol. Man I can't wait for him to be 100% again.

RamzFanz

Damnit
NOT that tall at 6'1"" BUT 228 POUNDS AND OLYMPIC 100 METER SPEED. Good combination
train

Don't forget hurdler:

"Gurley was also a world-class hurdler and sprinter for the school's track & field team. He competed for Team USA in the 110-metres hurdles at the 2011 World Youth Championships in Athletics, where he placed 3rd in the prelims with a career-best time of 13.66 seconds, but finished 15th overall in the semifinals. Also a top competitor in the 100-meter dash, he ran a personal-best time of 10.70 seconds in the prelims of the 2011 NCHSAA 2A State Track Meet, placing 2nd."

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not reaching at all, I just can't see him play like that and last the game against say the Seahawks or Cardinals. I don't bother looking at film of 18 year old freshmen, especially at the RB position. I'm not sure I mentioned that he struggled at all, I just mentioned he seems to be running in space, and I believe I also liked this to Tavon Austin. His production has not been the same as in college due to the limited amount of space on the NFL playing field. Maybe I do need to revisit some tapes. I understand that you love the pick, and won't have a word said against Gurley, as do many others, I was purely being devils advocate as I mentioned off the bat. I'm just not 100% impressed with him in tight spaces and he seems to want to cut-back and look for a run around a little too often, sometimes a stiff arm and running outside is the best option, I guess as his vision improves that will be better.

My heart wants to believe the hype, but my head is being rational with this one - it's not many years ago that Marcus Lattimore was being hailed as the future back of a franchise...
honestly. most of those weaknesses you've mentioned have been called his strengths in most articles I've read. good vision, quick in tight spaces and averaged 3.9 yards after contact. guess we've seen different tape. he doesn't have to be a work horse like jackson for 3 downs every time and doesn't have to start. And I don't believe Lattimore was drafted anywhere near #10 overall and Lattimore destroyed his PCL, MCL and ACL and dislocated his knee. While Gurley was said to have a very clean ACL tear with no surrounding damage.

jap

Legend
The Gurley Man cometh . . . all defenders with faint hearts, run for the hills . . .

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
honestly. most of those weaknesses you've mentioned have been called his strengths in most articles I've read. good vision, quick in tight spaces and averaged 3.9 yards after contact. guess we've seen different tape. he doesn't have to be a work horse like jackson for 3 downs every time and doesn't have to start. And I don't believe Lattimore was drafted anywhere near #10 overall and Lattimore destroyed his PCL, MCL and ACL and dislocated his knee. While Gurley was said to have a very clean ACL tear with no surrounding damage.

I guess I'm in the minority then or just being particularly picky ;) Lattimore's injury was far worse, but he was a R1 projection (if i recall) Clean ACL tear or not, still don't like the sound of it. I thought he was drafted to be our 3 down back like SJax and Lynch.

"Questions about whether he'll return back to his play speed are a big concern. Vision is average. Still gaining feel as a zone runner. Too locked into looking for cutback lanes when play-side run is open. Can get better at setting up blockers in space. Average creativity in tight quarters. Patience and tempo as a runner can improve." Lance Zierlein

"Gurley has one of the worst medical histories of anyone in this class. He registered a full season during his freshman season, but missed four games in 2013. Gurley then blew out his knee after his return from suspension this past year."

"Not especially agile in short spaces, and needs a second to ramp back up when he re-directs, which could be a problem unless he's able to maintain the speed portion of his rare talent equation at the next level. Needs to be more exact with his blocking." SI

"durability concerns are significant, especially considering the physical punishment he has absorbed in the SEC over the past three seasons." CBS

I hope he comes back and tears it up, like I said I was being devil's advocate and looking more at the negatives post being drafted, I mean we all knew about the ACL, I didn't know about the suspension and ankle injury. My concerns are just that, he's a young guy, who's been battering his way through college defences, first year fit and healthy, second, busts an ankle, third busts a knee...

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Huh, he's left handed. No point to that realization just something I noticed lol. Man I can't wait for him to be 100% again.
Betcha Fisher filed that throw away, you absolutely KNOW he will be throwing it at some point in time...