Todd Gurley College Highlights

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Marshall Faulk and Steven Jackson had a baby and named it Todd Gurley

Kohl420

UDFA
Name
Kohl
I just don't see the Marshall Faulk comparison. He looks more like Herschel Walker to me.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Good stuff, he just breaks tackles left and right.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the new O-line plays decent he will be something to see . The ACL scares me because you never know how well it heals . The Rams are due for some good luck .

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Todd Gurley is a 2nd in name so we traded the rights for rg3 and ended up with tg2 lol

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I hate that it is the game Gurley tore his ACL in but I truly think the Auburn game tape was when Gurley made Snead say YES! Not sure when it happened for Fisher.

The dude was awesome in the Auburn game. They were loading up early to stop him and he just kept trying to get as many yards as he could. The Georgia offense started to take shots down the field (Foles-esque) and immediately the creases increased ever so slightly and Gurley was just tearing them up!

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I'll admit I wasn't a fan at first of the pick. Not because of Gurley, he is very talented. But because of our OL and other needs. Now I'm all on board the more I watch. Just hope and pray the kid comes back 100%
Here is the ACL tear. Cruddy part is it was just a normal plant. Just goes to show how fast it can happen.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
And it's not like the blocking is very good in front of him. Dude just knows how to find holes quickly.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'm going to play devil's advocate now and express my concerns, Ive watched the tapes over and over and I'm still not 100% happy, surely at #10 he should be a massive upgrade on our RB corps, my concerns are as follows...

1. Running in heavy traffic, he doesn't seem to go very far, not much bulldozer there, not the same sort of way as say Lynch does...
2. All of his good runs seem to be done because of very good blocking, are NFL defences going to just shut him down?
3. When he gets tackled, he looks very sluggish in getting up, is his body up to the rigours of a 3-down back?
4. The space, he's running in acres of space, thats not there in the NFL, we've seen how the lack of space has effected Tavon's NFL contribution
5. Durability, he seems to get dinged up quite a bit (Ankle, Elbow, Knee) the NFL hits harder and faster, are we going to have to rely more on our other RBs, after all durability was Fisher's issue with Stacy?
6. The ACL - can he come back after the operation the same RB? You know, its the same scenario with Long and Bradford, I'm hearing the same soundbites from Snead and Fisher... and we know how they turned out.

Just airing my concerns on a huge luxury pick...

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm going to play devil's advocate now and express my concerns, Ive watched the tapes over and over and I'm still not 100% happy, surely at #10 he should be a massive upgrade on our RB corps, my concerns are as follows...

1. Running in heavy traffic, he doesn't seem to go very far, not much bulldozer there, not the same sort of way as say Lynch does...
2. All of his good runs seem to be done because of very good blocking, are NFL defences going to just shut him down?
3. When he gets tackled, he looks very sluggish in getting up, is his body up to the rigours of a 3-down back?
4. The space, he's running in acres of space, thats not there in the NFL, we've seen how the lack of space has effected Tavon's NFL contribution
5. Durability, he seems to get dinged up quite a bit (Ankle, Elbow, Knee) the NFL hits harder and faster, are we going to have to rely more on our other RBs, after all durability was Fisher's issue with Stacy?
6. The ACL - can he come back after the operation the same RB? You know, its the same scenario with Long and Bradford, I'm hearing the same soundbites from Snead and Fisher... and we know how they turned out.

#2 is not what i'm seeing at all. What's a "good run?" A 50 yd TD? He's getting 5 yds/carry on plays with no blocking....and running to daylight and outrunning the entire defense when the blocking IS there. That's what i'm seeing.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
#2 is not what i'm seeing at all. What's a "good run?" A 50 yd TD? He's getting 5 yds/carry on plays with no blocking....and running to daylight and outrunning the entire defense when the blocking IS there. That's what i'm seeing.
a 50yd TD is a very good run ;) I guess what I'm seeing is a lot of good blocking from his LT and FB, on those 5-7 yarders - true he's running outside the defence on occasion, but they're the type of things that won't be possible (or at least more difficult) to do in the NFL

Memphis Ram

Legend
Huge luxury pick? I'd call a situational or specialty player a luxury pick. But, not someone who can be the bell cow of your offense.

I see a big, strong, fast, elusive kid with good power, balance, and vision. On top of that, he's a pretty good receiver coming out of the backfield, too.

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler

Full disclosure went to UGA, and while anyone coming back from a torn ACL is a concern, I would have to disagree with most everything else. He ran in heavy traffic for just about every game his freshman and sophomore season and was unstoppable. The o-line was great last year no doubt, but if you watch him play vs Florida or Alabama his freshman season, you would see him dominate with mediocre blocking against defenses that sent like a combined 8 guys to the first round over the past couple seasons on D. And also, the numbers show otherwise. He was number 1 in the nation in yards after contact against Power 5 defenses at 4.0. Next closest was Tevin Coleman a full half yard behind. He also forced missed tackles more frequently than any back in the country at once every 3.2 carries. Next closest was TJ Yeldon at once every 3.9.

He does kinda labor when he gets up but that is just what he does. He will still carry it 25-30 times a game, and the best part is he is harder to tackle in the 4th quarter than he is in the first. This is my favorite description of his game, though, per Ellis Johnson (Auburn's DC): "Going back and looking at their early-season films, Gurley's like a time bomb," Johnson said. "When is he going to get that 95-yard kickoff, when is he going to hit that 40-yard run, when is he going to catch that 35-yard screen pass? You got to be exactly right on him every time because he's going either going to break the physical tackle or he's going to out run the space tackle. He's a specimen."

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
Oh, and far as being a bulldozer or tough runner

jEbmGb.gif

giphy.gif