TNF: Dolphins@Ravens

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The thing I see and Alonso said it himself. you move with the target. It's a small target. Even though he was too late to hold up, it doesn't mean you have no body control. You can still drop as the target drops. I think you've played before. You know this. I think if Flacco stays up, so does Alonso. I agree the shot with the elbow seemed crappy but take that away and I don't think it is a dirty play. In fact, I think it is completely legit at that point.

Flacco is a 6'6" 240 pound slow-moving target. That's not a small target. And you don't move with your target when your target starts to slide (at least not once you recognize he's sliding, which Alonso had plenty of time to do). If this were like Joyner's hit where Alonso made an effort to avoid the hit and just couldn't, it would be a totally different situation. Alonso made no effort to avoid that hit. It's clear as day for me, just like the Trevathan hit. This whole Flacco slid too late business is nonsense. I see guys avoid hitting the QB on slides like that every single week.

It's an illegal hit with or without the elbow. Flacco was on his ass sliding. You can't hit the QB in the head when he's doing that. Every player knows it. The vast majority of them manage not to do it. Alonso blasted him at full speed on a routine slide.

Let's not make excuses for a dirty play. I would want for us to end Alonso's career if he did that to Goff, and I bet many of you would feel the same way.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/27/adam-gase-were-a-joke-offensively/

Adam Gase: We’re a joke offensively
Posted by Josh Alper on October 27, 2017

ap_17300109624747-e1509133105790.jpg

AP

The Dolphins expect to have quarterback Jay Cutlerback in the lineup for Week Nine, but coach Adam Gase made it clear on Friday that the problems with the team’s offense go beyond any one position.

Gase tore apart his offense in the wake of Thursday night’s 40-0 loss to the Ravens, particularly when it came to the amount of effort his players are making to address mistakes and put in the necessary work to improve. Gase said it “takes a little effort” outside of the building and he doesn’t see it from his players.

“Offensively, it’s a joke,” Gase said. “We got too many guys who don’t want to take it home with them. Until our best players actually put forth some effort, it’ll be s–t. … Whether you win or lose, the whole process of all this is about correcting mistakes that you make and understanding the why of everything you’re trying to do. When we win, what happens is everybody brushes it under the rug and just tells everybody how great they are and I’m just an a–hole.”

Gase followed up the latter comment by saying the team’s been embarrassed in all three of their losses to further underscore his belief that the players aren’t taking being part of “the worst offense in football” seriously enough.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/27/ndamukong-suh-fined-9115-for-facemask-against-jets/

Ndamukong Suh fined $9,115 for facemask against Jets
Posted by Josh Alper on October 27, 2017

834213624-e1509137112846.jpg

Getty Images

Dolphins defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh figures to be in the crosshairs for league discipline as a result of his actions in Thursday night’s game against the Ravens and he got a small taste of what’s to come this week.

PFT has confirmed with the league that Suh has been fined $9,115 for a facemask penalty against the Jets in last Sunday’s 31-28 Miami victory.

Suh was flagged for grabbing Jets running back Bilal Powell‘s facemask on a run late in the third quarter. The penalty negated a five-yard loss and helped move the Jets into position for a touchdown pass to tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins that gave the Jets a 28-14 lead they would hand back in the fourth quarter.

Suh picked up a pair of unnecessary roughness penalties in Thursday’s 40-0 loss to the Ravens, including one for an exchange with quarterback Ryan Mallett that saw him grab Mallett by the neck. Suh was also involved in the extracurriculars that followed Dolphins linebacker Kiko Alonso‘s shot to Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco‘s head, but no penalty was called on anyone other than Alonso.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...rsonal-fouls-ndamukong-suh-wont-be-suspended/

Despite personal fouls, Ndamukong Suh won’t be suspended
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 27, 2017

866869018-e1509139668460.jpg

Getty Images

Dolphins defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh got two personal foul penalties and should have had a third on Thursday night, but that won’t cost him a game.

A league source tells PFT that the NFL is not considering suspending Suh.

After Suh’s teammate Kiko Alonso hit Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco on Thursday night, Suh jumped into the subsequent skirmish and clearly should have been flagged, but the officials missed it. Later in the game he was flagged twice, once for grabbing Ravens backup quarterback Ryan Mallett by the throat, and once for pinning Ravens center Ryan Jensen to the ground after a play.

Suh is a repeat offender and easily could have been suspended for his antics on Thursday night, but the league will let him off with a fine.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/27/nfl-has-not-decided-whether-to-suspend-kiko-alonso/

NFL has not decided whether to suspend Kiko Alonso
Posted by Charean Williams on October 27, 2017

8668699761-e1509139351895.jpg

Getty Images

The NFL has not decided whether to suspend Dolphins linebacker Kiko Alonso, a source told PFT. A decision is possible over the weekend.

Alonso hit Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco as he was sliding feet first, knocking Flacco out the game with a concussion and a cut ear that required stitches. Officials penalized Alonso for unnecessary roughness, but they did not deem the hit flagrant, so Alonso remained in the game.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh was upset about the hit, yelling at both Alonso and officials. Dolphins coach Adam Gase defended Alonso, saying it wasn’t “a true slide that you normally see.”

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The nice thing about having the internet is that we can review the video. Here are some nice photos that illustrate to me why nobody will ever convince me that Alonso couldn't have pulled off:
yAcWvMV.jpg

pf6lK1M.jpg

A02aXx3.jpg

E0KIKKK.jpg

These photos show that Flacco started to go down to slide while 4+ yards away from Alonso. Flacco was already down when Alonso was still about two yards away and could have very easily leaped over Flacco like we've seen so many defenders do in that situation. The final two pictures show how low Alonso had to drop to hit Flacco and make clear that he didn't pull off at all. He made no attempt to avoid the head-shot. In fact, it's quite clear he went straight for it.

Alonso could have made some effort to avoid that hit. He made none. That's not on Flacco. I don't care if you think he slid late. The blame lies on the guy who intentionally and illegally went after the QB's head. I'd have stuck up for Alonso if he made some attempt to avoid contact, but there is nothing there showing him make any attempt to do anything but target Flacco's head.

I don't care if you want to make a QB pay. Do it within the rules of the game (unless it's Brady).

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ravens coach John Harbaugh was upset about the hit, yelling at both Alonso and officials. Dolphins coach Adam Gase defended Alonso, saying it wasn’t “a true slide that you normally see.”

exactly right. it didn't look like a normal slide. it looked like someone going full speed for the first down, saw he was gonna get popped then falling over just before contact. slide earlier joe.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The nice thing about having the internet is that we can review the video. Here are some nice photos that illustrate to me why nobody will ever convince me that Alonso couldn't have pulled off:
yAcWvMV.jpg

pf6lK1M.jpg

A02aXx3.jpg

E0KIKKK.jpg

These photos show that Flacco started to go down to slide while 4+ yards away from Alonso. Flacco was already down when Alonso was still about two yards away and could have very easily leaped over Flacco like we've seen so many defenders do in that situation. The final two pictures show how low Alonso had to drop to hit Flacco and make clear that he didn't pull off at all. He made no attempt to avoid the head-shot. In fact, it's quite clear he went straight for it.

Alonso could have made some effort to avoid that hit. He made none. That's not on Flacco. I don't care if you think he slid late. The blame lies on the guy who intentionally and illegally went after the QB's head. I'd have stuck up for Alonso if he made some attempt to avoid contact, but there is nothing there showing him make any attempt to do anything but target Flacco's head.

I don't care if you want to make a QB pay. Do it within the rules of the game (unless it's Brady).

All that really needs to be said is if it was so impossible to pull off due to Flacco's late slide, why was #90 able to do it?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All that really needs to be said is if it was so impossible to pull off due to Flacco's late slide, why was #90 able to do it?
Who it should be noted is closer to Flacco yet was able to recognize a slide and avoid contacting him. Poor Kiko can't avoid a slide 4 yards away.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
nobody will ever convince me that Alonso couldn't have pulled off:
Big shocker there. But your "evidence" still doesn't show the clean cut proof you seem to think. In fact it does just the opposite. Alonso is running at about 8 yards per second there. Flacco starts his weird slide when Alonso is just a couple yards away. You can see by your first picture that he is already going for the hit. You are high if you think he can stop at that point. Your last picture shows something I haven't seen. It actually appears that Alonso hit or attempted to hit Flacco's SHOULDER with his elbow.

The only thing that I think is crystal clear is that Flacco should have started his slide earlier. I'm ok with them calling a penalty on the play. It was close but the result was that Flacco got his bell rung. Even though he got the penalty, I bet he starts his slide earlier next time for very obvious reasons.

Another thing you can see is that Alonso drops down with Flacco and still hits him above where his knee would be. If Flacco stays up, Alonso doesn't follow his target downward and ends up hitting him about waist high.

But the fact is, that no way can a player stop his momentum at that speed at the time Flacco more drops than slides. Questionable is if Alonso could have kept from hitting his helmet. Yeah - I'd say he probably could have.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Who it should be noted is closer to Flacco yet was able to recognize a slide and avoid contacting him. Poor Kiko can't avoid a slide 4 yards away.
He was chasing and didn't actually pull up until he saw Alonso fly in. Watch it again. You can't compare the ability to pull up while trailing to being able to pull up while on a head on head trajectory.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
all the hitter has to do is relax, just let up, that's all. Aint that difficult
train
In a way I'd agree. But QBs can't keep pushing the boundary here. He slid too late and Alonso had already committed to whacking him. Flacco obviously was going for the first down, realized at the last half second that he couldn't make it and does this funky drop slide. These QBs have to either give up this notion that they can't get hit or take the easy yards and get the hell down. They can't have it both ways.

nighttrain

Legend
in other words you agree with me, but you don't like the rules favoring QB's:neener:
train

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's Jared Goff sliding late against Myles Jack:
PxeLQ6f.jpg

v3xClbS.jpg

mWDoNOo.jpg

Oh look, Jack avoids hitting Goff by going over the top instead of going low and trying to take his head off. And Goff slid later than Flacco did.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
in other words you agree with me, but you don't like the rules favoring QB's:neener:
train
I agree that Alonso probably could have relaxed some. But look also at where Flacco takes his late "slide" He is just a couple feet from the first down marker - well inside the red zone. Does anyone really expect him to just let Flacco go for another yard more than the too many he already took liberty with so the Ravens can have first and goal.?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree that Alonso probably could have relaxed some. But look also at where Flacco takes his late "slide" He is just a couple feet from the first down marker - well inside the red zone. Does anyone really expect him to just let Flacco go for another yard more than the too many he already took liberty with so the Ravens can have first and goal.?

No. I expect him to kill Flacco if Flacco doesn't slide. If Flacco does slide, I expect him to jump over Flacco or step to the side to avoid him. 99% of NFL defenders have figured out how to do that. Why is that too much of a burden for Alonso?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Here's Jared Goff sliding late against Myles Jack:
PxeLQ6f.jpg

v3xClbS.jpg

mWDoNOo.jpg

Oh look, Jack avoids hitting Goff by going over the top instead of going low and trying to take his head off. And Goff slid later than Flacco did.
Seriously? How fast was Jack going forward? And Jared is starting his slide - a real one - a full four yards before Jack gets in to position to tackle him. Just look at Jack's body position. The comparison is laughable.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
No. I expect him to kill Flacco if Flacco doesn't slide. If Flacco does slide, I expect him to jump over Flacco or step to the side to avoid him. 99% of NFL defenders have figured out how to do that. Why is that too much of a burden for Alonso?
And if Flacco starts his slide when he should have, Alonso would have done just that. Do you have anything that shows Alonso as a dirty player? You think this is the first time he has had a shot at a QB?