Time To Worry?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I haven't been able to see either one of the Rams preseason games but from what I have read the Rams haven't looked too good except for a few players (Bradford, Quick, Westbrooks, etc). But, it also sounds like the Rams have missed many of their key players (Jake Long, Rodger Saffold, Scott Wells, etc) and it doesn't sound like neither the Offense or Defense has really wanted to show much during these first two PS Games. I am really not that worried at this point but I do hope the Rams can get most of their starters some valuable playing time in the next two weeks before the season begins.

Ok its time to worry about a few things that need answering.....

#1-Who on this current roster could back up ORT for Barksdale who is not already starting?
#2-Which of the current RB's other than the main 3 would be valuable enough to warrant them taking up a valuable 53 master roster spot.
#3-When will our current 3rd & 4th veteran reserve DT's (Carrington & Conrath) show they belong in the NFL over a rookies Aaron Donald & Ethan Westbrooks?
#4-Do the Rams have a legit NFL caliber 4th Lber on this roster?
#5-Current reserve OG's Bond & Joseph who up till now have only showed they can play ONE OL position which has been RIGHT OG ......really worthy of the master roster position?

Last edited:

SierraRam

Recreational User
Ok its time to worry about a few things that need answering.....

#1-Who on this current roster could back up ORT for Barksdale who is not already starting? ?
#2-Which of the current RB's other than the main 3 would be valuable enough to warrant them taking up a valuable 53 master roster spot. ?
#3-When will our current 3rd & 4th veteran reserve DT's (Carrington & Conrath) show they belong in the NFL over a rookies Aaron Donald & Ethan Westbrooks? ?
#4-Do the Rams have a legit NFL caliber 4th Lber on this roster? NO
#5-Current reserve OG's Bond & Joseph who only play one OL position ORG worthy of the master roster position? NO

Thanks Bonifay - I was fine until I read this! ;)
images

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I can care less about PS scores it's all about fundamentals, read reacts , positioning. One on ones like rotating 2's against 1's 2's and 3's to see exactly where they stack up. My take is LB is trouble beyond the starters the OL pretty much the same with a little depth in Joseph and the DB's are deep but very unproven. I think we will be scouring the waver wire and available fa's for depth in the above stated places with the exception of DB where they will most likely roll the dice.
JF has said a couple times that they haven't completely shut the door on bringing back Harvey Dahl. If they are as concerned about the depth after Joseph .. .they might very well bring him back at a minimal deal. Dahl CAN play OG and ORT. I think it all depends on how they feel about Person. Like Coach O has stated, they are working him all over the place. We also have not seen Brandon Washington ... and I believe I heard early on in camp he was getting some OT reps...?? And Travis Bond. Where and if he fits in ?

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I sure hope pre season means something to Fisher if not we have the wrong coach. You should assess
And evaluate talent, depth, play, and fundamentals at every chance especially when playing new competition. Too much talk for me about pre season records but evaluation of play all positions and all players irreirrespective of depth is a mandatory part of football and the job of the coach and organization. As a team we have played poorly albeit some of it is expected. There have been bright spots. Excuses, reasons, justifications whatever bottom line equals poor play. I am sure it will be addressed and hopefully worked out.
I am not panicked but concerned like I have been nearly every other one of our pre seasons
Obviously I should rephrase and say preseason wins, course every coach cares about preseason in the way that it's a time to evaluate what you have, like I said in the post, but outside of that it's not something you should worry about. Almost all the coaches are out there running their most bland vanilla offenses and defenses and using this as an extended practice to see what they have in players, what holes need to be ironed out and who gets to stay and who falls to the way side.

Records are ultimately meaningless, 3 out of the last 5 Super Bowl winners were 2-2 in the preseason.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If we lose the opener vs Minnesota i'll be worried.
Yup. That's when concerns become legit. There are no "meh, it's preseason" rationales to fall back on at that point.

SierraRam

Recreational User
JF has said a couple times that they haven't completely shut the door on bringing back Harvey Dahl. If they are as concerned about the depth after Joseph .. .they might very well bring him back at a minimal deal. Dahl CAN play OG and ORT. I think it all depends on how they feel about Person. Like Coach O has stated, they are working him all over the place. We also have not seen Brandon Washington ... and I believe I heard early on in camp he was getting some OT reps...?? And Travis Bond. Where and if he fits in ?

If Dahl is 100%, I say 'hell yeah.' He was a leader with attitude. I'll always remember how he went after that asshole Panther DB that stood over Sam. :mad:

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
Anyone seeing the hype about Teddy Bridgewater after the Vikings last game? Fans have basically anointed him the next Russell Wilson. Panic? Nah, I'm waiting for 7 sacks we will get in week one.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Anyone seeing the hype about Teddy Bridgewater after the Vikings last game? Fans have basically anointed him the next Russell Wilson. Panic? Nah, I'm waiting for 7 sacks we will get in week one.
OH! Your only going to watch the 1st half of the game!? :D

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I haven't been able to see either one of the Rams preseason games but from what I have read the Rams haven't looked too good except for a few players (Bradford, Quick, Westbrooks, etc). But, it also sounds like the Rams have missed many of their key players (Jake Long, Rodger Saffold, Scott Wells, etc) and it doesn't sound like neither the Offense or Defense has really wanted to show much during these first two PS Games. I am really not that worried at this point but I do hope the Rams can get most of their starters some valuable playing time in the next two weeks before the season begins.

The reason you shouldn't worry is because Fisher handles these games as live practices. There is absolutely 0 game planning, and we are just lining straight up across from the other team just to give guys reps.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Here's my argument to all that keep on saying "key players missing" and "vanilla" excuses: Seahawks are deconstructing teams in preseason while still playing vanilla and still not starting guys like Lynch...so their team is so deep that they can play man or basic zone even with backups and completely shut teams down. Meanwhile we give up 150 yds per quarter. Let's try to be realistic here, it is time to worry. And the youth excuse kills me too...Seahawks are very young also. Their depth is the best I've seen on defense, ever. Guys keep saying how good our D is but it realm isn't. I said in another post, lol, all of GBs QBs had ratings over 100... The ONLY thing good on our D is our DL, and all they can do is pass rush...but what good is that when all teams have to do is throw it up and its either a completion or PI...
Just like it, come on spew your crap as usual and get off without replying. I have found this fabulous new Rams board call the Post Dispatch. I'm thinking you will fit in really good there....

p.s. How much does Seattle pay you for maintaining their jockstrap's in during the season?

I've toned down a lot but getting tired of your negative posts and riding the seagulls jocks...

Last edited:

TexRamFan

Rookie
A little worried, because there is no replacement for JL, and the depth at LB is sketchy. I am also disappointed that we didn't get the swing tackle that we have so desperately needed. Person might do, but I don't see any other OL worthy of being kept around.

Let's not forget, when the coaches talk about scheming they are also referring to planning around the weaknesses that are present. Apposed to the pre season when they just run plays to get looks at guys that would most likely be considered a "weak spot". This is another reason I do not get as worried as others in regards to pre season football.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Let's not forget, when the coaches talk about scheming they are also referring to planning around the weaknesses that are present. Apposed to the pre season when they just run plays to get looks at guys that would most likely be considered a "weak spot". This is another reason I do not get as worried as others in regards to pre season football.
And Fisher is famous for that, all coaches do preseason different. There is a glaring weakness at linebacker, however. If Ray Armstrong ends up starting we will be in big trouble, because, the let us not forget that offensive coaches on the other side of the ball scheme too.

dhaab

Rookie
I think our starting unit is rock solid. But, beyond those 5... there is Joseph and... a whole lot of guys struggling.

This is the biggest thing I've come away with after watching only small segments of each preseason game. I haven't been impressed with any of our back-up offensive linemen. In fact, most of them have looked badly over-matched.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I would not say there is nothing to worry about but I would say there is nothing to lose sleep over at this point.

The biggest concern I have is the LBs. As others have posted our depth there is scary thin and Armstrong just does not appear to be progressing.

Let's see if they really turn things up a notch this week in Cleveland. The 1st defense should be able to have a good day against that team

nanotech

Rookie
Well. I am no expert. but think about this as a possibility: GW said many times he wants to determine the defensive players' strengths and weaknesses. I don't know, but would there be a better way to determine that than just letting them play without any particular scheme? It seems like schemes can sometimes mask players' abilities. So, just thinking, play plain to see who is a natural and who is not, and what are the weaknesses and strengths of each player in a "schemeless" situation. Maybe that is the way to ultimately determine where to put each player in a situation to succeed.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
X, not you!
What I'm saying is, I'm not worried right now ... like, at all. The time to worry is when these things count and nothing changes.
But I don't foresee that as a possibility either, so...
'sall good.

nanotech

Rookie
What I'm saying is, I'm not worried right now ... like, at all. The time to worry is when these things count and nothing changes.
But I don't foresee that as a possibility either, so...
'sall good.
K