The upside of Austin Corbett is undeniable

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Upside of LA Rams left guard Austin Corbett is undeniable

When the LA Rams began the 2019 season, interior offensive lineman Austin Corbett was prepared to play for the Cleveland Browns. But by mid-October 2019, the Rams offensive line was already unraveling, as the left guard, Joseph Noteboom fell to a season-ending injury. Wasting no time,

LA Rams general manager Les Snead contacted the Cleveland Browns about an offensive lineman who played on three special teams snaps. But he was the 33rd pick for the Cleveland Browns in the 2018 NFL Draft. His draft profile was strong, but nothing stood out. But in the draft analysis, Mike Mayock loved him, citing him as one of the cleanest (no penalty) players in the draft, and one with a bit of a mean streak.

Delayed opportunity

Lots of draft love never turned into an opportunity for Corbett in Cleveland. The Browns were set at both offensive guard positions when drafting Corbett. He arrived at the Browns under offensive head coach Hue Jackson but was led by head coach Gregg Williams for the final eight games. By 2019, the now second-year player was up to his third head coach in Freddie Kitchens.

By October 2019, early into his second year, he was traded to the LA Rams and met his fourth head coach Sean McVay. He returns to the Rams this year with a career first: He will be playing for the same head coach who he played for a season ago. Two years, four head coaches, four different playbooks and offensive philosophies, 22 NFL games where he saw action, eight games starting.

Put yourself in his position

Let’s say you hired on for a job to work for a new boss. Within six months of your hiring, that boss was fired. Your next boss, a temporary manager, stayed on for six months. Then he was replaced by a new boss. But in six months’ time, you found out that your company had transferred you all the way across the country, and oh, by the way, be ready to hit the floor running at your new job. For all that moving and reporting to new bosses, that’s just the logistics side of the equation.

Austin Corbett is a solid offensive line talent who arrived at the LA Rams from a very dysfunctional NFL team. He arrived and was almost instantly plugged into the LA Rams starting offensive line. Is it any wonder that his 2018 PFF grade of 54.9 looks very similar to his 2019 PFF grade of 51.8? It’s difficult to improve your swimming stroke when you are trying to keep from drowning.

From cobwebs to center stage

Lots of moving, learning a new playbook, and moving on in 18 months for Corbett. Shockingly, his arrival and being pushed into an immediate starting role for the LA Rams at left guard is the most stable situation Corbett has enjoyed in his first two seasons. Imagine that? Is it any wonder that his game performance never seemed to build from a sparse use from the previous season? Corbett was a collegiate left tackle who was trained to back up the center in his first NFL season, For his second NFL season, the Browns traded away their solid right guard, and expected Corbett to win the job. When he didn’t, the team pretty much gave up on him.

That’s how the Cleveland Browns converted their 2018 33rd pick into a 2021 5th round pick. But from the LA Rams perspective, the Rams landed one of the best offensive linemen from that 2018 NFL Draft. And in the process, found a player to plug into their offensive line as the successor to the great Rodger Saffold. Of course, that type of performance will take time to replicate, if ever. But the job as the starting left guard is most definitely his to lose now. So what should the Rams realistically expect from their returning veteran?

Reason for higher expectations

Austin Corbett will definitely improve this year. Barring some injury to hamper his performance, I expect the young lineman to make huge strides for the team this season. How much will he improve? Well, he’s had an entire off-season to adjust to playing for the LA Rams, and an extended period of virtual training camp to meet his teammates, learn the playbook, and interact with the coaching staff. While many players will struggle this season as rookies, the 2020 offseason provided exactly what Corbett needed to get his bearings and lay the foundation for a solid season.

Corbett’s college background at the left tackle helps his role at left guard tremendously. His keys are opposite from the right side of the football. And that means his first reactions to surprises on the left side will be correct. And finally, for the first time in Austin Corbett’s career, he enters a football season with the same coaching staff and knowing which position he will be playing. And he faces familiar opponents.

Learning curve

Corbett’s learning curve was hampered due to events that were never in his control. But that’s behind him now, thankfully. Offensive linemen have one of the steepest learning curves in the NFL. But those early years recede, and if teams are patient, supportive, and coach well, those young men develop into outstanding NFL players. Corbett is finding all the necessary components with the Rams, and that makes his projected progress heading into this year significantly more likely.

Corbett lines up between Andrew Whitworth on his left, and Austin Blythe on his right. Much like Blythe, Corbett is young and improving. At 6-foot-4 and 306-pounds, he is an ideal size to play the position. Finally, based on Next Gen stats, the LA Rams offensive line was more effective than expected last year. And the LA Rams are returning more offensive snaps to the offense than any other NFC West team. It all adds up for one heckuva season for the LA Rams Austin Corbett this year.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Corbett lines up between Andrew Whitworth on his left, and Austin Blythe on his right. Much like Blythe, Corbett is young and improving. At 6-foot-4 and 306-pounds, he is an ideal size to play the position. Finally, based on Next Gen stats, the LA Rams offensive line was more effective than expected last year. And the LA Rams are returning more offensive snaps to the offense than any other NFC West team. It all adds up for one heckuva season for the LA Rams Austin Corbett this year.

The bolded is ridiculous. Blythe is neither young, nor improving. He's twenty-eight, for fuck's sake! That's his prime, not young and improving like Corbett.

Let's hope we can find a solid center in next year's draft, if Corbett doesn't take Blythe's job at center.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The bolded is ridiculous. Blythe is neither young, nor improving. He's twenty-eight, for fuck's sake! That's his prime, not young and improving like Corbett.

You may have a point here, mems... as there has been plenty of Blythe improvement discussion hashed about here...

But... I’d consider 28 “a young player” still. I find it ridiculous you’d say THAT! :zany:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
You may have a point here, mems... as there has been plenty of Blythe improvement discussion hashed about here...

But... I’d consider 28 “a young player” still. I find it ridiculous you’d say THAT! :zany:

You're just jealous that I'm younger and better looking than you. :p

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Let's hope this article pans out. We're due to for a couple diamonds out of the roughs.

"as the left guard, Joseph Noteboom" I still can't believe things deteriorated to the point he was our starting G. Smh....

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I like Corbett for whatever reason. Agree with the nasty streak comment. This article could have been half as long though....my LORD the hyperbole in some of these pieces.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But he didn't start the day after we traded for him he can't possibly have a future :D

dang

Legend
Corbett.check!! Edwards.check!! Healthy Hav.check?? Whit.check!! Blythe.check please!!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah..., true on both counts.... :biggrin:

Switching Austin Corbett for Austin Blythe is a FREAKING STUPID IDEA though .

I’ll continue to POUND the TABLE on the O”LINE POINTS.

The Austin Blythe story is the same as the Austin Corbett’s . They might not be Young but not dead (lol) as to OLD who hates Kromer & Dickerson.

I also add David Edwards in that group though who is only 23 & came out his JR with Bobby Evans & only 23. Then of course Brewer who is only 23 as well.

Yes Blythe is not young, but he is a VETERAN who knows the play calls. As for Allen ? He is. Question mark. Everyone talks about him getting Noteboom hurt.

My point is this offensive line is so much better than 2019. I HATED Austin Blythe during the SuperBowl run,but he was the starting RG. He also just told the story of him not being a GUARD but a CENTER.

Corbett was the 33 pick & only cost a 2021 5th rd pick ? WTF- he was playing behind a All-Pro guard. He also is no FREAKIN CENTER. (So let’s move him to center). This is why he should strive at LG in 2020 & The Rams Left Side of the ball should have some resemblance to the 2018 in performance (only).

I can go on,but my point of The Rams not drafting an Offensive Lineman is clear in my EYES as well as The RAms(MCSNEAD).

The COOL thing is The Rams should benefit from this Offseason because of this group. Whitworth & Blythe were KEY signings and this Group could have been F”D UP. I knew in week 15 Whitworth was coming back. Blythe not so much,but knowing there injuries as well makes me that much more comfortable.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Let's hope this article pans out. We're due to for a couple diamonds out of the roughs.

"as the left guard, Joseph Noteboom" I still can't believe things deteriorated to the point he was our starting G. Smh....

That wasn’t the problem. Playing time is what he needed. I was just throwing him in as The Starting LG without extended Reps.

I tend to look at the glass as Half Full. I won’t explain my view point right now. I still have worries about Noteboom. I guess my hope is he doesn’t comeback in 2020.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I like Corbett for whatever reason. Agree with the nasty streak comment. This article could have been half as long though....my LORD the hyperbole in some of these pieces.

Agree - How Sports writing has changed Over the Years. Lucky if Newspapers are still being printed.

Last year the main point with Corbett is how smart he is. Might still be a Dr.?
Just nice to have this group back together. The Offense should really click in 2020.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I expect Corbett to start ahead of Noteboom.

Noteboom is going to be a Bug Question Mark to even play 2020.

Of course I could be VERY WRONG.I do know what I’ve seen & heard though.I’ll also add what most posters keep saying about him as well. He is not a Guard.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Corbett.check!! Edwards.check!! Healthy Hav.check?? Whit.check!! Blythe.check please!!!

I LOVED the way Austin Blythe came FIRED UP to play the 9ers. His intensity was Awesome. The Rams should have won that game & made Ram Fans Christmas.

Big Rob has to Own Up to 2019.

My question is how does the rest of the Offensive Line playout ??

Without a Offseason this is anyone’s guess ?? Bobby Evans & Brewer should be penciled in for age,talent, & cost alone.Who plays where though & back up Center.

—Blythe’s future is a question mark as well. Could be actually help bring The Rams a Comp Pick.

MAN - I’m Really Drinking way to much Kool-Aide!!!! Wholly FUK.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Different Cases.

DUMB was with DUMBER!!
Then
I.Pead got Fumblelities & smoked to much WEED. Lost confidence.He was Undersized a bit???? Was actually improving,but was injury prone.

I’m just going with what Blythe just said a couple days ago. He never Consider himself a True NFL guard. Just from size & athleticism alone.

His improvement in 2020 which he didn’t say was HEALTH & the Trust Jared Goff has in him from experience & game film.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
The biggest problem with any offensive line is that it’s only as good as it’s weakest link. Four players can be perfect but the play can be blown up by one missed assignment.

Linemen need reps to hone technique and make the quick adjustments necessary to be effective. The reasoning is sound that Corbett should improve by maintaining his LG position. Yet he is not the greatest concern here.

Blythe has plenty of experience and knowledge to succeed but is susceptible to bull rushes as he lacks the sand to win consistently. Fortunately, this issue can be masked by scheme but that’s what limits an offense. In 2015 I pounded the table for Rodney Hudson. While that’s nothing but spilled milk now, if I were to seek a replacement for Blythe, a Hudson clone would be my target. Until then, any scheme that counts on Blythe to win on an island is doomed to failure.