The Truth About James Laurinaits (op @ Stl Today)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As I originally posted in the STL Today Forum...."I enjoy football specifically Rams football and when we aren't winning games and going to the playoffs I see it as more than acceptable to question every single aspect of the team. I'm not on here trolling, just trying to promote conversation and heighten fan awareness. I appreciate you input and respect your opinion. I will stand by my opinion that the Rams would be better off with a much more physical presence at the MLB position."

Bottom line is...I would prefer a playmaker in the middle of our defense, not a solid player. I'm not saying the Rams can't win with JL it just seems like at times he is physically overmatched by the larger OL within the NFC West. I understand there is a direct correlation between the interior DL and the MLB. It would be nice to have a few guys like Ray Agnew or Jeff Zgonina out there to take up some space. I have faith in Brockers and Langford was serviceable. Hopefully the Rams will draft/acquire some big boys to clog up that middle and we will see JL along with the rest of this run defense take a step in the right direction. I appreciate JL's ability to cover backs and TE's (Ogletree will be better). If I had to choose b/t a MLB that plays the run well or plays the pass well...I'm going run all day.

One forced fumble on 634 combined tackles just doesn't cut it in my book...unless you are picking off 5+ passes a year (and he's not).

That's an archaic notion. It is a passing league today which is why smaller, faster LBs are more in demand. Plus, our rush defense was a top 10 unit in 2013.

I would prefer JJ Watt over Chris Long at DE. But this isn't Madden. You have limited resources. Laurinaitis isn't a liability. He's not hurting the team. He's playing well. Not elite but well. And he fills important roles on defense and in the locker-room. The only way I upgrade on Laurinaitis is if it comes to my pick on draft day and the best value on my board is an ILB. And I don't see one in this draft that would be such. Although I do like Chris Borland and Yawin Smallwood in the 3rdish round. But I'd start them outside before making any decision on Laurinaitis.

The title of this OP is irrelevant. It more or less was referring to Rams fans who blindly praise JL as a greek god on the field (I'm sure the majority of Rams fans on here understand what he is and take him for just that).

There were many valid points made above. I do not think JL is to be thrown to the dogs. He has been a solid player for the Rams.

That was your first post on this site, how in the heck would you know what Rams fans on here think of him? I haven't seen anyone call him a greek god or imply he's anything like that. As I told another poster recently, I don't like dishonesty. You can make an argument without misrepresenting people's stances.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just don't get it when fans look for problems with their team, they look at guys that clearly aren't. So far on both boards, I've seen Sam Bradford, JL, Chris Long, Janoris Jenkins, Scott Wells, and even Robert Quinn before this year as players that "should be replaced." Now don't confuse "problems" with "improvement." Many, if not all, need to get better. However, I don't believe replacing and hope for something better than letting the guys play.

Add Greg Zuerlein to the list. Someone on RRF said the Rams should consider replacing him after he missed those 2 kicks earlier in the year.

Plus, Jared Cook is on the list too.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
e6FEHzi.jpg

Name
The Dood
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That was your first post on this site, how in the heck would you know what Rams fans on here think of him? I haven't seen anyone call him a greek god or imply he's anything like that. As I told another poster recently, I don't like dishonesty. You can make an argument without misrepresenting people's stances.

I was trying to say that I assume fans on this forum are pretty knowledgeable and know JL's strengths and weaknesses. They understand what he brings from a mental and physical aspect. I have had conversations with many Rams fans in the past and you would think JL was the next coming of Ice Box from Little Giants. Does that mean I'm saying he is in fact Ice Box, no. It's my right as a fan of this team for nearly 15 years to question whatever the hell I want.

Let's get something straight. I LIKE JL as a reliable player on and off the field. In my opinion the Rams would be better off with a physical playmaker at the MLB position.

This is my first post on this forum b/c I just found out about it last night. Nobody was being dishonest...I have had many conversations with "knowledgeable" Rams fans that think JL is an all pro. Newsflash....HE ISN"T. We pay him out the ass to be a solid player on (and according the Steve Spags and his four pillars)...more importantly in the locker room and off the field.

What is the point of a fan forum? To promote fan awareness and discussion? Either way there is room for multiple opinions on whatever we choose to post about. I respect your opinion (not sure if the feeling is mutual) I don't respect you coming on here and claiming I'm being dishonest or knocking me for being a new member of this public forum. It's not like I came on here and simply said I wish we had someone else at MLB. I came with reason and a few stats to back up my stance on the matter. Again I AM NOT SAYING THROW JL OVERBOARD. I guess I just expect a little more from JL than most folks on here. It is my opinion.

tonyl711

Starter
you did claim that the people on the forum treated him like he was a greek god, and that couldn't be further from the truth, all I have ever seen him described as is that he is solid. and ill agree that the point of a forum is discussion, but you cant put words in other peoples mouths.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was trying to say that I assume fans on this forum are pretty knowledgeable and know JL's strengths and weaknesses. They understand what he brings from a mental and physical aspect. I have had conversations with many Rams fans in the past and you would think JL was the next coming of Ice Box from Little Giants. Does that mean I'm saying he is in fact Ice Box, no. It's my right as a fan of this team for nearly 15 years to question whatever the hell I want.

This is my first post on this forum b/c I just found out about it last night. Nobody was being dishonest...I have had many conversations with "knowledgeable" Rams fans that think JL is an all pro. Newsflash....HE ISN"T. We pay him out the ass to be a solid player on (and according the Steve Spags and his four pillars)...more importantly in the locker room and off the field.

You found out about this board tonight and yet are already claiming certain opinions exist on this board. Opinions that haven't been voiced in this thread. That's dishonesty in my book. If those Rams fans you talked to said that, then I recommend you use that argument with them. Not with people who haven't said it. As you know, all Rams fans don't think alike.

What is the point of a fan forum? To promote fan awareness and discussion? Either way there is room for multiple opinions on whatever we choose to post about. I respect your opinion (not sure if the feeling is mutual) I don't respect you coming on here and claiming I'm being dishonest or knocking me for being a new member of this public forum. It's not like I came on here and simply said I wish we had someone else at MLB. I came with reason and a few stats to back up my stance on the matter. Again I AM NOT SAYING THROW JL OVERBOARD. I guess I just expect a little more from JL than most folks on here. It is my opinion.

You're entitled to your opinion but when you call your opinion the truth, you're going to get some backlash.

As far as what I've done, I didn't knock you as a new poster. I knocked you attributing opinions to this forum that I haven't seen expressed...that's dishonesty in my book. You haven't been here long enough to know what people on here think. Maybe 90% agree with how you rate Laurinaitis but just don't share the opinion that he needs replacing. In that case, why try to attribute the greek god, All Pro and elite comments to those people? That's the point I'm making.

I have no problem with you. None at all. I just don't like the way you're arguing this point. You're welcome to your opinion which is why I don't think you need to misrepresent where people on this board stand in order to get your point across. Know what I mean?

Name
The Dood
The title of this OP is irrelevant. It more or less was referring to Rams fans who blindly praise JL as a greek god on the field (I'm sure the majority of Rams fans on here understand what he is and take him for just that).

Is this what you a referring to? "I'm sure the majority of Rams fans on here understand what he is and take him for just that."

Meaning I assume the majority of fans on this forum understand what he does well and what to expect from him. I was not saying the majority of fans on this forum see him as a greek god.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's fine. Nobody is going to begrudge you for having an opinion. Just be careful with the hyperbole. Nobody is claiming he's anything other than who he is. No one calls him a Greek God, or ice box, or Dick Butkus, or Ray Nitschke. It'll be easier to get your point across if you just state your opinion without debating someone else's in advance of it being said (aka a strawman). If you still frequent STL Today, you might soon realize that there's no reason to get on the defensive right away over here.

'sall good.

Yea, I was about to bring the STL Today forum up haha. Very different atmosphere here than there.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
The only truth is that there are other people on the defense that need to be replaced before JL. I think all of us can agree on that.

Maybe he's not the best MLB in the division, but he probably is one of the best MLBs in pass coverage in the division. He might not be the best at everything, but he does everything well.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I've always thought JL was a tad over paid based on overall performance, but he's about to become very affordable.

After 2014, his cap number drops to $4.0M (2015) and $6.17M (2016).

Ramifications

I've always thought JL was a tad over paid based on overall performance, but he's about to become very affordable.

After 2014, his cap number drops to $4.0M (2015) and $6.17M (2016).

Excellent point.

I agree we have bigger fish to fry.

I do think that playmaker and consistent aren't mutually exclusive, it is possible to be both (see pretty much all the other MLB/ILBs in the NFC West).

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Well in this case we might as well upgrade everyone on this team except Robert Quinn. Everyone else can be upgraded. :rolleyes:

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
Big fan of JL, thought his dad was awesome too. I give Devaney credit for this pick as many of my friends wanted Mauluga pretty bad, so IMO Devaney got it right. JL is solid hard working and easy to enjoy as a fan. Most players in the NFL have holes in their game. When the NFL had their lockout and James just heard it was over he went straight to Rams Park to get to work only to be turned away, for me that raised my respect level for him, the kid loves football and sometimes that is more valuable than athletic talent
jmo.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

OK. This where I have a problem with the obvious tone of your OP and where you are going. Your first (or second) post and you are calling out the posters on this site as blindly praising player x, y, or z. You might want to take a step back and actually interact with the members of this site before making assertions about them. Most of us see players for what they actually are and not as some sort of infallible being. Do some of us have their favorite players or really like players for maybe more than they do on the field? Certainly. I frankly don't see a whole lot of player worship going on here though.

Now - as far as JL goes, the guy IS a hitter. His game is not stripping the ball. It is to be around the ball carrier and tackle him. I think most of us would want to see him cause more loose balls but personally, in the defensive roles he has been asked to play and chosen for his skill set, he does quite well. He is a MLB - not an ILB. He doesn't have that other LB next to him to allow him to range around and whack people. They don't send him on many blitzes. He has almost twice as many INTs as Willis in one season less, so obviously he is being asked to play back a hell of a lot more. Either that or it would indicate he is WAY better in pass coverage than Willis.

This is a very young team that is only recently filling some huge glaring holes. The last thing I personally would want to see is us filling a hole that simply isn't there just because another player can make more "splash" plays. We could have had RM instead of JL in that draft. I would take JL any day and twice on Sundays in the real choice equation.

Replace JL? How about concentrating on real liabilities.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I like JL and appreciate what he brings every week. Some of what he does is affected by others in the front 7 and although the front 4 is better over the last two years part of his time here that front 4 has been bad.

I also don't think Dunbar is getting enough love here. The Defense was woefully under performing the first 4 games of 2013. Once Dunbar was back they improved immediately and got better as the year progressed. I think he need to be resigned and lets have these three guys together for another full year before we start messing with part of what made this team good the last 3/4 of the year.

Name
The Dood
OK. This where I have a problem with the obvious tone of your OP and where you are going. Your first (or second) post and you are calling out the posters on this site as blindly praising player x, y, or z.

Ok, sorry, I still don't see where and how I said "the posters on this site as blindly praising player x, y, or z." I was speaking on Rams fans in general. This was my first post on this site...that being said why would I speak for posters on this site claiming the are "blindly praising" a certain player?

Read through my post...get over the fact that I am being critical over JL and how he matches up with the rest of the NFC West, take a deep breath, and most of all please understand that I was speaking on conversations I have had in the past outside of this PUBLIC FORUM.

Do you guys seriously assume that I think there aren't other more significant problems or weaknesses in the Rams defense. I'm pretty sure we have all been watching the same team. I was just tired of the same old conversation, and while I appreciate the various opinions...i don't appreciate the way many of you are being assuming of my intentions.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Agree.

My point being; KD overspent on JL early in his deal (when one could argue we could afford it). From here out he's affordable and we've got some big contracts coming due.

The future years are more proportionate to his overall worth, perhaps slightly cheaper.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

You wonder why so many Rams fans have an issue with working their way into forums
....I guess next time I will step in line and just throw up another post about how great Robert Quinn was this year

No actually I don't wonder that at all,I only wonder why SOME DO ,as far as "next time" yeah ,you could try taking a little time getting to know your surroundings before grinding your ax ,it seems to have worked for MOST of the posters here.