The Truth About James Laurinaits (op @ Stl Today)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
No offense but Rams fans should stop focusing on trying to find replacements for players that are quality starters and should start looking for replacements for upc
oming FAs and starters that played poorly.

The Rams are not the 49ers. Don't put the cart before the horse. Once we have the talent level on this team to the point where we're a contender then we can focus on which positions we'd like to replace solid starters with elite ones at.

Right now, Laurinaitis is an above average MLB and plays important roles on this team as the defensive play-caller and a locker-room leader.

Where Laurinaitis ranks in the division is irrelevant.

And as the play caller, who on the defense would be best suited to take that role over right now? Nobody.

Fisher seems happy with JL. I don't see why the Rams should be itching to replace him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
And as the play caller, who on the defense would be best suited to take that role over right now? Nobody.

Fisher seems happy with JL. I don't see why the Rams should be itching to replace him.
That's right. There isn't anybody who could take over as QB of the defense right now, except maybe Witherspoon. But who knows what his future holds around here. Little long in the tooth, he is. And yeah, Fisher is happy with JL. Players don't get second contracts if they're not looked upon favorably. They're probably not looking to replace him either, but they did front load his contract to give them more flexibility towards the end. Which isn't an indictment of JL, in as much as its just a sound business practice. Now all they need to do is start grooming a backup. Someone like Witherspoon (who can play all 3 spots) would be ideal.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That's right. There isn't anybody who could take over as QB of the defense right now, except maybe Witherspoon.

That's a scary statement.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's a scary statement.
It really is. And I started to think about the possibility of maybe one of our safeties taking over those duties, and none come to mind.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
As usual the big issue with JL is this.

He's pretty good. And that's not enough for many fans.......why.......his contract. So they want him replaced with someone who earns the money that JL is being paid.

It's maddening to read posts like this because it makes you think "what about OL?", "what about safety?", "what about the DBs". There are several things more pressing than MLB and I don't get why fans don't see that. You don't get rid of a pretty good player while you are building a team, it's a stupid move and doesn't do anything but create another hole to fill but with not much more cap space. Which means you end up hoping to get someone as good for less money.

That usually doesn't work.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Ok, sorry, I still don't see where and how I said "the posters on this site as blindly praising player x, y, or z." I was speaking on Rams fans in general. This was my first post on this site...that being said why would I speak for posters on this site claiming the are "blindly praising" a certain player?

Read through my post...get over the fact that I am being critical over JL and how he matches up with the rest of the NFC West, take a deep breath, and most of all please understand that I was speaking on conversations I have had in the past outside of this PUBLIC FORUM.

Do you guys seriously assume that I think there aren't other more significant problems or weaknesses in the Rams defense. I'm pretty sure we have all been watching the same team. I was just tired of the same old conversation, and while I appreciate the various opinions...i don't appreciate the way many of you are being assuming of my intentions.

move on

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, she's a cutie alright.
And I'm ordering one of these drinks next time I go out.

016-576x384.jpg

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
That's right. There isn't anybody who could take over as QB of the defense right now, except maybe Witherspoon. But who knows what his future holds around here. Little long in the tooth, he is. And yeah, Fisher is happy with JL. Players don't get second contracts if they're not looked upon favorably. They're probably not looking to replace him either, but they did front load his contract to give them more flexibility towards the end. Which isn't an indictment of JL, in as much as its just a sound business practice. Now all they need to do is start grooming a backup. Someone like Witherspoon (who can play all 3 spots) would be ideal.
That's why I wouldn't be disappointed if they did draft a linebacker.

Because then they'd have depth, ideally they'd get someone who can play in place of Dunbar, and they'd be grooming two OLB who could potentially take over as the MLB and QB of the defense.

Witherspoon as Dunbar's replacement at OLB just didn't work out though, and I just don't see Armstrong filling in for Jo-Lonn either.

This is going to be an interesting off-season, just because so many good things can come out of it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That's why I wouldn't be disappointed if they did draft a linebacker.

Because then they'd have depth, ideally they'd get someone who can play in place of Dunbar, and they'd be grooming two OLB who could potentially take over as the MLB and QB of the defense.

Witherspoon as Dunbar's replacement at OLB just didn't work out though, and I just don't see Armstrong filling in for Jo-Lonn either.

This is going to be an interesting off-season, just because so many good things can come out of it.

I definitely want them to draft a Linebacker. I predict that they take Mosley or Borland. they know there is a need to start grooming a backup and both of those guys are very smart leaders that called the D in college. They are both similar to what JL is. very good but not Great. Mack would be Great but I wonder if they see him as someone that can General the defense?

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I definitely want them to draft a Linebacker. I predict that they take Mosley or Borland. they know there is a need to start grooming a backup and both of those guys are very smart leaders that called the D in college. They are both similar to what JL is. very good but not Great. Mack would be Great but I wonder if they see him as someone that can General the defense?
Who knows until he plays in the NFL, which is why I'd actually prefer that they start grooming someone now if only to have a viable backup.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am certain that both Borland and Mosley QB'd their defense. And the Rams have scouted both, most recently seen talking to Borland at the Sr. bowl practice. I don't think Mack has had that responsibility in college and even though Ogletree played MLB I don't think he has either. The need to diagnose and make decisions quickly is not something that can be taught in most cases.

Don't get me wrong though. Mack is my first choice on Defense to become a Ram. The guy is a bigtime playmaker.