The so-called route tree

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
What do ppl like Kiper, Mayock, or McShay mean when they say that receivers dont have the full route tree?

I am pretty sure if basically a receiver has like maybe 2 different plays, but can someone go more in depth into this?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
ljramsfan said:
What do ppl like Kiper, Mayock, or McShay mean when they say that receivers dont have the full route tree?

I am pretty sure if basically a receiver has like maybe 2 different plays, but can someone go more in depth into this?

Not going to act like I know a ton about this, cuz I certainly do not, but here goes. A "full route tree" would be different within any specific offense. WRs have certain routes that they can run on any given play, depending on what the defense shows them. If CB is playing jam coverage, the route may either break off shorter, or if the safety is rolled to opposite side of field, he may try to beat the press and run a longer route. Take a look at the Quick TD at 8:15 here (courtesy of our very own Dude made vid):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDFooNPh-ds[/youtube]

This is just an example of top of head. Point is, some WRs have not had to learn route concepts at the college level. It is a LOT more in depth than most people think. There are HUNDREDS of route combinations in any given offense. Probably thousands in a Martz offense, haha.

fearsomefour

Legend
When you run a route tree in practice it is basically a series of outs and ins. So, WR starts upfield and runs an out at 10 yards, an in at 10 yards, an out at 20 and 30, an in at 20 and 30 ect. So, basically if written out on paper it looks like a line with smaller lines coming off on each side, like a tree. So, off of the "tree" you can run hooks, outs, ins and go patterns. Basically Kiper is just saying he has the ability to run both short hook sort of routes (change of direction) and go routes (speed). Route trees are used to evaluate QB arm strength as well, particularly on the outs.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Ha, never noticed that he smoked Sherman on that in route and then had him draped over his back what likely was a PI non-call. Oh, the great Optimus Prime. :roll:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'd just like to add, and this is a good convo going on, that a route tree would look like a stick figured tree if you drew it on a piece of paper. Some offenses have each route numbered, like a #9 is a corner route in this example:
images

Even numbered routes usually are INS, and odd numbered routes are OUTS.

Here's another example of something closer to what we run:
rt-tree_0.png

Now, usually when they say the guy is a bad route runner, what they mean is that he is inconsistent in WHEN he gets from point A to point B, because the QB has to go through a progression after the primary read, or call is taken away. A route should be run the same exact way every time. Same steps, cut off the same foot, etc, so that the QB knows where you will be in the route if he has to throw it your way.

So the QB will look to the next guy in the tree, and now he is starting to run out of time. A lot of these routes are timing routes and the QB throws to a spot where the receiver will be, so if the receiver is not there, because of a bad route, then the QB will miss him, and most people put the blame on the QB, but that's not usually the case.

When they say that a receiver can't run the whole tree, they probably mean that he doesn't have the speed to run certain routes. Some receivers can't get off the line of scrimmage, and this will screw the timing or he might be pushed or run himself out of position.

Most teams run option routes now, which was mentioned earlier, to where the QB and the receiver have to make the same read on the coverage, and the actual route will be determined by that.

If you want to know anything more, please feel free to ask. There is a lot of knowledge on this board.

A55VA6

Legend
DR RAM said:
I'd just like to add, and this is a good convo going on, that a route tree would look like a stick figured tree if you drew it on a piece of paper. Some offenses have each route numbered, like a #9 is a corner route in this example:
images

rt-tree_0.png

Now, usually when they say the guy is a bad route runner, what they mean is that he is inconsistent in WHEN he gets from point A to point B, because the QB has to go through a progression after the primary read, or call is taken away. A route should be run the same exact way every time. Same steps, cut off the same foot, etc, so that the QB knows where you will be in the route if he has to throw it your way.

So the QB will look to the next guy in the tree, and now he is starting to run out of time. A lot of these routes are timing routes and the QB throws to a spot where the receiver will be, so if the receiver is not there, because of a bad route, then the QB will miss him, and most people put the blame on the QB, but that's not usually the case.

When they say that a receiver can't run the whole tree, they probably mean that he doesn't have the speed to run certain routes. Some receivers can't get off the line of scrimmage, and this will screw the timing or he might be pushed or run himself out of position.

Most teams run option routes now, which was mentioned earlier, to where the QB and the receiver have to make the same read on the coverage, and the actual route will be determined by that.

If you want to know anything more, please feel free to ask. There is a lot of knowledge on this board.
Great post man.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Awesome Doc. I kinda knew ... or thought I did ... but that really makes it much clearer.

Great thread LJ.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Warner4Prez said:
Ha, never noticed that he smoked Sherman on that in route and then had him draped over his back what likely was a PI non-call. Oh, the great Optimus Prime. :roll:
The "Freak" came out of Quick on that play, which was by far my favorite play for him last season. Sherman is not a little guy, and he tried to jam Quick up, but Quick is so damn strong, and he used it on that play, that he just stiff armed Sherm like a little biatch, then ran right by him. On top of that, BQ broke another tackle to score.

This is the kind of stuff he can do when he knows his shit. I can't wait.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
DR RAM said:
images

rt-tree_0.png

I see this, and think back to my coaching days. Our routes were numbered differently and some of the yardage marks were different too, but everyone has a little different system and terminology. What do you think about creating a weekly post discussing a different facet of the game and then have a quiz to test everyone's football knowledge.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
MontanaRamsFan said:
DR RAM said:
images

rt-tree_0.png

I see this, and think back to my coaching days. Our routes were numbered differently and some of the yardage marks were different too, but everyone has a little different system and terminology. What do you think about creating a weekly post discussing a different facet of the game and then have a quiz to test everyone's football knowledge.
My route tree that I played was closest to this:

Football%20Route%20Tree%20horizontal.jpg

But I coached a couple different trees that were similar.

A weekly post might be pretty cool, especially if it all ended up in one place. It could be a fun resource/teaching point for newbies, or girlfriends, or for anyone that wants to learn more about football. It would even be better if it was specific to the offense and defense that the Rams are currently using.

A test, uhhhh, I don't know about that. There are so many different theories, philosophy, subjective opinions...

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
We should just start a Dr ram thread you can be tbe rod football forum version of Dr Oz lol

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I like the idea of having an in-depth discussion about some facets of the game, you guys have a far better understanding of the game having played and coached it - I used to just be a nerdy kid who liked the game!

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
The "Freak" came out of Quick on that play, which was by far my favorite play for him last season. Sherman is not a little guy, and he tried to jam Quick up, but Quick is so damn strong, and he used it on that play, that he just stiff armed Sherm like a little biatch, then ran right by him. On top of that, BQ broke another tackle to score.

[hil]This is the kind of stuff he can do when he knows his shyte.[/hil] I can't wait.

I hope you're right Dr Ram - we need him to play like a Rd2 WR this year :)

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
shaunpinney said:
DR RAM said:

[hil]This is the kind of stuff he can do when he knows his shyte.[/hil] I can't wait.

I hope you're right Dr Ram - we need him to play like a Rd2 WR this year :)
He is a round one receiver if he "gets it," and I think he will get it, but I don't know when. Quick, not competing on a couple plays last season, really pissed me off, and was a red flag for me, so I hope that those plays were an aberration. The youth of our receivers will keep me vexed, until they un-vex me, but the pieces of the puzzle are there, AND there are some darn fine pieces.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Anyone who wants to edgumacate demselves on football, or even those that just want to have a good read and brush up, I highly recommend buying Pat Kirwans book: Take Your Eye Off The Ball. It should almost be required reading for football fans. $10 well spent peeps. You can thank me later.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0078XOX3C/ref=redir_mdp_mobile" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0078XOX3C/ref=redir_mdp_mobile</a>