The Rams may have gotten even more than they thought in Peters and Talib

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/07/...n-more-than-they-thought-in-peters-and-talib/

The Rams may have gotten even more than they thought in Peters and Talib

IRVINE – It’s only been a few months together, this Rams’ super cornerback grouping of Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters. A handful of OTA’s and a minicamp and now three days of training camp in Irvine.

But already some conclusions can be drawn.

The teaming of Peters and Talib as a pair of bookend lockdown cornerbacks has the potential to wreak havoc on opposing quarterbacks and wide receivers. Primarily through their immaculate fundamentals and elite athletic ability, which allows them to smother opposing wide receivers with airtight coverage. But also a mutual and uncanny understanding of their position that fuels them with the requisite wisdom and confidence to brazenly take chances a less confident contemporary wouldn’t dare think of, let alone attempt.

One way or another they are going to win the battle. Be it by running stride for stride with their assigned wide receiver and eliminating them from the play, or by brashly and cunningly luring a quarterback into false security only to emerge as ball-hawking thieves.

As Rams quarterback Jared Goff put it: “They don’t just go by the book on every single play. There’s a little bit of feel here and there. That’s what makes that position and those players really good.”

Peters has 19 regular-season interceptions and 55 passes defended across his first three NFL seasons, the most in the NFL in both categories. Talib, now entering his 12th season, gave up just 250 receiving yards in 2017 per Pro Football Focus and has not allowed a pass completion of more than 32 yards over the last two seasons.

Pair all that brilliance together, as the Rams did by trading for Peters and Talib last offseason, and the potential for something special seems inevitable.

“It’s definitely got a chance to cause some issues for some teams,” said Goff.

But another, more surprising conclusion can be drawn during their early stages of training camp. Talib and Peters seem joined at the hip. Where you see one, you are bound to see the other. They are training camp roommates, which means long conversations deep into the night covering football and life and the art of playing one of the most challenging positions in all of sports.

“Yeah, definitely,” Talib said. “I know the defense and he’s learning the defense. So, at night he’ll ask me any questions when he’s watching the tape and all of that. So, we’re good.”

They ride together to practice in a shared golf cart – of course, Talib, the older of the two, gets driving privileges. They are never far from each other on the field, be it while getting a cardio workout in riding adjourning stationary bikes or during stretching periods or individual position drills or talking things out on the sideline after 11 on 11 or 7 on 7 work.

“I guess we’re both new here. So, we’re feeling our way through it together,” Talib said.

True.

But there is more to it than just that.

Turns out Talib, now entering the twilight of his career, has willingly pulled Peters under his wing with the intent on imparting as much knowledge as he can, for as long as he can, on his young pupil.

And Peters, the son of a high school football coach and carrying a high degree of respect and appreciation for football and the players that preceded him, is eagerly soaking up as much as he can.

“Man I can learn a lot,” Peters said. “He’s playing what, his 11th year. So he’s played a whole lot of ball, Me, I’m just going into my fourth year so I can learn a lot from him. And for as much time as we have together, I’m just going to keep soaking it all in.

That it isn’t forced on Talib’s part and is willingly accepted on Peters makes it all so natural. What could have been contrived is absolutely genuine. The realness with which Talib came at Peters is a tip of the cap to how older players took his younger self under their wings years ago. And Peters, wise enough beyond his years to understand the older Talib now graciously returning the favor by mentoring him, is embracing the process.

“See, I just think that’s what OG’s did, back in the day. You feel me? So I understand and I appreciate it” Peters said. “When he was in Tampa Bay, his OG was Ronde Barber. And then when he started making his way up in the game he became an OG. He did an excellent job in Denver, helping Chris Harris. And now here, with me.”

Nevertheless, it says a little bit about Talib that he’s so willing to share knowledge with Peters. And even more so about Peters, who eagerly hangs on every word. It doesn’t always work that way in today’s world, in which the insatiable quest for success sometimes overpowers the natural tendency to help. Or, worse, renders us suspicious of a helping hand to begin with.

Somewhat refreshing, then, when two proud, elite professionals can share in one another the kind of mutual respect that makes the imparting of knowledge so easy and the acceptance of it even easier.

Peter’s ability to do the latter was immediately obvious to Talib, who’s been blown away by his young teammate’s obvious love for the game and eagerness to listen and learn even more.

“I don’t think people talk about that enough,” Talib said. “That guys love football. He reminds me of myself. I love football and that’s what people don’t talk about enough. His work ethic and how much he loves the game. If you love it that much, you’ll get the job done. That’s why he plays the way he plays because he loves it.”

Three days into training camp, it’s obvious the Rams cornerback tandem appears as good as predicted. But the Rams seem to have gotten even more in pairing Peters and Talib together than they originally thought.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We need to sign Peters to a long term deal and try to extend Talib for another year or two. I'd love Joyner too, but his departure seems baked in at this point.

jt13

UDFA
Pass defense is going to be something this year. No more giving up 1st downs on third and long. These guys are gonna be scary.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I'm still giddy from all the acquisitions the Rams made this off-season.

I wake up everyday with a smile and knowing these 2 corners will be wearing the horns on game days is freaking surreal. :yess:

LDN-L-0727-RAMS-07.kjs_26468693_943420.jpg

8pjknl83e5l01.jpg

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
We need to sign Peters to a long term deal and try to extend Talib for another year or two. I'd love Joyner too, but his departure seems baked in at this point.
No way on Talib past 2019 as CB--why not FS, though? Talib at the end of 2019 will be enough. His salary beyond that and is age 34 will be too much. We can draft CB #1 and use Sam Shieds in the future, too.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No way on Talib past 2019 as CB--why not FS, though? Talib at the end of 2019 will be enough. His salary beyond that and is age 34 will be too much. We can draft CB #1 and use Sam Shieds in the future, too.

Kind of how we used Aeneas Williams.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I liked this overly dramatic article.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It may have been a little syrupy, but there are some really important points to be made with it.

Neither seems to be the head case they were made out to be. Sometimes it really is the scenery.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Talib has slowed down. I'm worried speed wideouts will beat him deep. Rams have to get constant pressure up front on QB's so they don't have time to take 7 step drops and let long plays develop.

Ram65

Legend
I want to see them in action. Always need a pass rush. I think Wade will be able to hide coverage and keep QBs a bit confused which will help. Talib knowing the defense and sharing info will make them all better.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
It may have been a little syrupy, but there are some really important points to be made with it.

Neither seems to be the head case they were made out to be. Sometimes it really is the scenery.
Or, just maybe, the media focuses on the extreme moments and leaves out the rest.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I didn't know Peter's father was a football coach. No wonder he understands some of the finer details of playing the position. Talib hasn't giving up a completion longer than 32 yards in 2 years?! I don't see any reason why this secondary cannot be better than what Wade put together in Denver.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Talib has slowed down. I'm worried speed wideouts will beat him deep. Rams have to get constant pressure up front on QB's so they don't have time to take 7 step drops and let long plays develop.
He may have slowed a bit but his experience and savy allows him to overcome that. Just watch him when you come to camp. He was lined up against Woods and the both of them put on a clinic for their respected positions. Woods winning some, Talib winning others.

It's a thing of beauty and to think we have Peters across the field locking down that side!

Can't wait!

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
He may have slowed a bit but his experience and savy allows him to overcome that. Just watch him when you come to camp. He was lined up against Woods and the both of them put on a clinic for their respected positions. Woods winning some, Talib winning others.

It's a thing of beauty and to think we have Peters across the field locking down that side!

Can't wait!
I really think we see a different player in Woods this year. The guy torched a really good secondary in Atlanta last year. He might be the best WR on the team.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
I really think we see a different player in Woods this year. The guy torched a really good secondary in Atlanta last year. He might be the best WR on the team.
I agree @Legatron4 ! I said as much in my camp report. Woods is just plain a$$ good! Very underutilized in Buffalo.

He is finally able to show his stuff in this McVay offense and it is darn good!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Peters has 19 regular-season interceptions and 55 passes defended across his first three NFL seasons, the most in the NFL in both categories. Talib, now entering his 12th season, gave up just 250 receiving yards in 2017 per Pro Football Focus and has not allowed a pass completion of more than 32 yards over the last two seasons.

Man tralk about a stingy set of DB's, those are really amazing numbers.

Up front and in the back this defense is going to be really difficult for OC's.

He was the best last year IMO and I said it on more than one occasion. Another year with Goff and in the system and as you say we will see a different player. If Cooks draws double teams Woods will make defenses pay.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
There are certainly obstacles to overcome, Talib's inevitable slowing at some point and Peters familiarity with the D. This being said what a great situation it is for these two and the Rams. It sure seems as though these two will do well to help each other which will help us. EXCITING!

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe

Totally agree. Woods is criminally underrated. I think after this season the Rams receiving core will be considered one of the absolute best in the NFL.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I see Peters as our #1. Talib will be a one year deal and then like you said we still have Shields (if he works out) and also Hill and Peterson who both did amazing jobs stepping in for injured starters last season. With CB i think we are set for a bit IMO.