The OBJ Free Agency Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah it's tricky either way but that's probably why it's taking so long. I'm guessing there's a lot of ideas being tossed back and forth about the contract between his agent and the Rams. I wouldn't be a fan of cutting someone to fit him on the roster but who knows what'll happen. Hope the Rams can work their salary cap magic.

the rams don't have to cut anyone to put obj on the roster. he will start the season on the pup list.

once he's ready to go the rams will have a much better idea of who is cuttable.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
the rams don't have to cut anyone to put obj on the roster. he will start the season on the pup list.

Yeah very true and a lot can definitely happen between now and when OBJ is ready to play. Hopefully if they have go the cut/trade route, it's because some unexpected players step up. Honestly, if we had some of our draftees step up, I'd be more stoked about that because it opens the door for quite a bit more.

dang

Legend
Would a team like KC or BUF outpay the Rams for OBJ to keep him from signing with the Rams and helping them in the playoffs?? Or even the 69ers or Bengals?

Last edited:

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think most of us would like to see OBJ return. Our team surgeon said he had improved OBJs knee over the last (botched) surgery. I take that as OBJ has an excellent chance to recover well. To have a guy as passionate about football that can truly catch, be composed in the big games and truly be a leader in the locker room is worth a lot to the Rams. I expect and I trust our front office finds a smart way to sign him.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Would a team like KC or BUF outpay the Rams for OBJ to keep him from signing with the Rams and helping them in the playoffs??
Well I think it’s happening before…what was his name? Von something?

Yeah that’s my worry as well. At least OBJ was a Rams fan growing up. That might help.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Would a team like KC or BUF outpay the Rams for OBJ to keep him from signing with the Rams and helping them in the playoffs?? Or even the 69ers or Bengals?
I think they would. To keep him from us is only part of it, everyone also knows he will be an elite weapon when he comes back for late season+ playoffs. I think GB and SF are both be interested as well. We know Aaron and OBJ were tweeting back and forth in the last few weeks. Keeping him from joining other elite NFL teams has to be a strategic factor IMO. But I get not overpaying him early. $7M guaranteed seems like an awful lot at this point in the process. I trust in our front office to get it done and hopefully OBJ sacrifices some money in year 1 and we give him big incentives for year 2. There has to be a way to get creative with the structure to keep him happy and in LA.

MachS

Hall of Fame
At least OBJ was a Rams fan growing up. That might help.
Plus his GF and newborn child are both in LA. He knows our playbook and system. He loves McVay. Last year he showed he's still got a lot in the tank and had great production for us. He loves the west coast vibe and celebrity life. We have a lot of things going for us no doubt. But if another team offers a ton more money he could absolutely dip on us.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Some of you have already allude to this but don't forget about the injury factor. Last year the Rams lost Woods, Tutu, Harris and finally OBJ before the year was over. If GB or Frisco loses a key receiver the odds that OBJ comes back will only get higher.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This may shed some light on the subject that is OBJs knee. Please delete if already posted.

Odell Beckham Jr. Should Sit Out the Entire 2022 NFL Season Says Medical Expert (abridged)​

by Bob Garcia IV | More Articles: NFL
Published on
March 21, 2022

As Odell Beckham Jr. experiences free agency for the first time, he does so recovering from another torn ACL. He sits over a month removed from the injury occurring in the Los Angeles Rams‘ Super Bowl 56 win.
Beckham sits facing another tough challenge ahead that will alter the course of his NFL career again. As the star wideout embarks on that arduous path, Dr. Rami Hashish, Body Performance And Injury Expert, recently spoke to Sportscasting, where he voiced that Beckham is best served sitting out the 2023 season.
The 29-year-old holds the reality that he will miss the first couple of months of the 2022 season. With Beckham in a challenging situation, Dr. Rami Hashish recently told Sportscasting he believes it’s in the star wideout’s best interest to sit out the 2022 season.

“He could play the end of the season, but if I ever advising him or his agent, I would say don’t try to come back this year,” said Hashish, who is the founder of the National Biomechanics Institute and the Chief Technological Officer of pareIT. Look at your long-term health. We just saw this with Kevin Durant, he had a torn Achilles and he could have made it back by the end of the season but he was like “I want to look out for my long-term health. I want to play another 5-10 how many years it is.

“That is probably the best approach. If you want a long-term look on your health, then it’s not worth a month to put yourself in that type of danger. You’d rather play five years very healthy than a portion of one season and be a little bit limited the next couple of years. It’s not worth it.”
Hashish’s point sits rooted in Beckham getting the proper time for his body to heal and operate accordingly. A return late in the 2022 regular season is plausible but playing up to his full capability isn’t something that is guaranteed. Beyond that, Hashish stated that there is an increased likelihood that there is already an increased likelihood of the injury happening again since it’s already happened twice.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
$7M for a player not expected to play until the end of December? Bye Bye OBJ, he got his ring and now the greed sets in.

IMO the Rams would be better off putting that money towards a trade for an edge. Kupp, Robinson, Jefferson, Skowronek, Tutu, & Harris are just fine.

Snead should just call his bluff and say thanks but no thanks. The Rams have made more than one offer from what I hear, maxing out at about $5M (inclusive of incentives) for 2022. Each offer is said to be 3 year deal. The last one increased the guaranteed money. OBJ is too injury-prone and now he's going to be in his 30s. Who says he doesn't blow out his other knee? An edge like Hunter would do more for a legit SB run than OBJ.

Don't forget Jefferson was wide open at the back of the endzone on that last drive but Stafford couldn't hit him because of his elbow. Jefferson had a breakout year in 2021. If he builds on that he can really become the kind of receiver the Rams saw in him when they drafted him.

Put the no vacancy sign out for OBJ pointing back to Cleveland and get that splash edge. Look for the Hawks, Niners and Cards try to land OBJ.
Don’t know why you keep suggesting Hunter to the Rams. That ship has sailed.

Now Robert Quinn? Hmmmmm…

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Report reveals when Odell Beckham Jr will return from knee injury​

Odell Beckham Jr. remains a free agent in part because he is still recovering from a major injury, and the star wide receiver is expected to miss a significant portion of the 2022 season.

ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler said on “Get Up” Monday that the Los Angeles Rams remain optimistic they can sign Beckham to a new deal. Beckham is not in a huge rush to make a decision, however, likely because he could miss the first two months of the season while rehabbing his torn ACL.

“But Beckham could take his time here because talking to teams, they don’t expect Beckham to be healthy until October or maybe even November, as far as ‘full-go’ back from that ACL,” Fowler said, via Bleacher Report’s Timothy Rapp. “So Beckham can take his time, maybe even wait until the first couple of weeks of the season, see who’s hot, who needs a receiver. He will likely go to a contender.”

Beckham tore the ACL in his right knee the Super Bowl. He tore the same ACL in 2020. The 29-year-old has suffered numerous significant injuries during his career, which has undoubtedly impacted the market for his services.

The Rams have been open about wanting to re-sign Beckham. Even if OBJ is weighing all options, he has indicated that the feeling is mutual. The two sides need to agree on money and obviously have not yet.

Beckham took a while to get going with the Rams, but he had 21 receptions and two touchdown catches during the playoffs. The Rams signed Allen Robinson this offseason and still have Cooper Kupp, but Beckham could be a dangerous No. 3 option for them if they bring him back.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
This may shed some light on the subject that is OBJs knee. Please delete if already posted.

Odell Beckham Jr. Should Sit Out the Entire 2022 NFL Season Says Medical Expert (abridged)​

by Bob Garcia IV | More Articles: NFL
Published on
March 21, 2022

As Odell Beckham Jr. experiences free agency for the first time, he does so recovering from another torn ACL. He sits over a month removed from the injury occurring in the Los Angeles Rams‘ Super Bowl 56 win.
Beckham sits facing another tough challenge ahead that will alter the course of his NFL career again. As the star wideout embarks on that arduous path, Dr. Rami Hashish, Body Performance And Injury Expert, recently spoke to Sportscasting, where he voiced that Beckham is best served sitting out the 2023 season.
The 29-year-old holds the reality that he will miss the first couple of months of the 2022 season. With Beckham in a challenging situation, Dr. Rami Hashish recently told Sportscasting he believes it’s in the star wideout’s best interest to sit out the 2022 season.

“He could play the end of the season, but if I ever advising him or his agent, I would say don’t try to come back this year,” said Hashish, who is the founder of the National Biomechanics Institute and the Chief Technological Officer of pareIT. Look at your long-term health. We just saw this with Kevin Durant, he had a torn Achilles and he could have made it back by the end of the season but he was like “I want to look out for my long-term health. I want to play another 5-10 how many years it is.

“That is probably the best approach. If you want a long-term look on your health, then it’s not worth a month to put yourself in that type of danger. You’d rather play five years very healthy than a portion of one season and be a little bit limited the next couple of years. It’s not worth it.”
Hashish’s point sits rooted in Beckham getting the proper time for his body to heal and operate accordingly. A return late in the 2022 regular season is plausible but playing up to his full capability isn’t something that is guaranteed. Beyond that, Hashish stated that there is an increased likelihood that there is already an increased likelihood of the injury happening again since it’s already happened twice.
He’s not an MD, so take his opinion for what it’s worth. I don’t think OBJ will sit out the year if he has a chance to join another title run,

dang

Legend
Hmmmm. So OBJ can return sometime this season but there’s no hurry to sign anywhere since the timing is TBD. That’s some insightful reporting there. We can all sleep better now!!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hmmmm. So OBJ can return sometime this season but there’s no hurry to sign anywhere since the timing is TBD. That’s some insightful reporting there. We can all sleep better now!!!
Don't forget he's likely to sign with a contender. Thanks Jeremy.

source.gif

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
So if we are at $5M and he wants $7M I’d just pay him. Yes, it’s a gamble. I think he’s lightning in a bottle. Sometimes you have to roll the dice. The upside outweighs the downside.
Hell, He'll, would pay him 10 mil if rehab is going well and my doctor said he was good.

I'm not going to let him go elsewhere. His hands are the best in the league. He will catch contested balls and don't have to be open to be open.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
So if we are at $5M and he wants $7M I’d just pay him. Yes, it’s a gamble. I think he’s lightning in a bottle. Sometimes you have to roll the dice. The upside outweighs the downside.

Ditto.

I want to see him on the field in the playoffs lined up with Kupp and Robinson on the field at the same time.

We shall call that the "You're fucked" formation.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Odell Beckham Jr. claims he played “back half of season without an ACL”​

Posted by Mike Florio on July 3, 2022,

Receiver Odell Beckham Jr. tore his ACL in Super Bowl LVI. Unless he didn’t.

As Beckham tells it, the failure of the new ACL he received after tearing it during the 2020 season against the Bengals in Cincinnati didn’t happen against the Bengals in L.A.

Beckham has disclosed on Twitter that he “really played the whole back half of the season without an ACL, and won a Super Bowl!”

If true, this means the injury happened during the 2021 regular season, presumably at the midpoint of it. And it invites speculation as to whether it happened when he was with the Browns or when he was with the Rams.

If it happened with the Browns, how did he pass the exit physical in Cleveland? How did he pass the entry physical in L.A.?

The truth is that those examinations usually don’t entail a full-blown MRI unless there’s a reason for it. If Beckham’s knee was sufficiently stable when checked manually (if it was even checked manually), there would be no reason to examine whether the ACL had or hadn’t torn.

It also means that, against the Bengals in Super Bowl LVI, the knee suddenly lost stability when he cut on the artificial surface at SoFi Stadium, causing things to abruptly and painfully move around and making it impossible for him to continue.

He has since had surgery to repair the ACL for a second time. And he continues to wait for his next team in large part because no one has been willing to roll the dice on the possibility that he won’t be ready to play until late in the regular season. The last time he had the same injury repaired, 11 months passed before he was cleared.

The Rams continue to claim that they want him. The longer they wait, however, the greater the chance some other team that could benefit from his presence and his skills may try to swoop in and snatch him. I’m watching the Buccaneers (given the longstanding mutual admiration between OBJ and TB12), the Vikings (where former Rams offensive coordinator Kevin O’Connell is now the head coach), the Packers (based on their obvious need at the position), the Bills (could you imagine Beckham in that offense?), the Chiefs (with Tyreek Hill gone, there’s receiver who commands extra attention), the Patriots (they were quietly in the hunt for him last year), and the Bengals (OBJ with Joe Burrow, Ja'Marr Chase, and Tee Higgins would be something to behold).

Typically, the Super Bowl winner has to worry about being raided for its free agents. It happened with Von Miller. It hasn’t happened with Beckham. It still could. Really, why isn’t one of the other NFC contenders eyeing Beckham not just for what he could do for them, but for what his absence would mean to the Rams?

Sure, they were fine without him after his injury in the Super Bowl. But he was the best offensive player on the field before the injury. That game wouldn’t have been as close as it was if Beckham had been there for the full 60 minutes, and Beckham would have been able to say not just that he won a Super Bowl without an ACL, but that he won the Super Bowl MVP award without one.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

Odell Beckham Jr. claims he played “back half of season without an ACL”​

Posted by Mike Florio on July 3, 2022,

Receiver Odell Beckham Jr. tore his ACL in Super Bowl LVI. Unless he didn’t.

As Beckham tells it, the failure of the new ACL he received after tearing it during the 2020 season against the Bengals in Cincinnati didn’t happen against the Bengals in L.A.

Beckham has disclosed on Twitter that he “really played the whole back half of the season without an ACL, and won a Super Bowl!”

If true, this means the injury happened during the 2021 regular season, presumably at the midpoint of it. And it invites speculation as to whether it happened when he was with the Browns or when he was with the Rams.

If it happened with the Browns, how did he pass the exit physical in Cleveland? How did he pass the entry physical in L.A.?

The truth is that those examinations usually don’t entail a full-blown MRI unless there’s a reason for it. If Beckham’s knee was sufficiently stable when checked manually (if it was even checked manually), there would be no reason to examine whether the ACL had or hadn’t torn.

It also means that, against the Bengals in Super Bowl LVI, the knee suddenly lost stability when he cut on the artificial surface at SoFi Stadium, causing things to abruptly and painfully move around and making it impossible for him to continue.

He has since had surgery to repair the ACL for a second time. And he continues to wait for his next team in large part because no one has been willing to roll the dice on the possibility that he won’t be ready to play until late in the regular season. The last time he had the same injury repaired, 11 months passed before he was cleared.

The Rams continue to claim that they want him. The longer they wait, however, the greater the chance some other team that could benefit from his presence and his skills may try to swoop in and snatch him. I’m watching the Buccaneers (given the longstanding mutual admiration between OBJ and TB12), the Vikings (where former Rams offensive coordinator Kevin O’Connell is now the head coach), the Packers (based on their obvious need at the position), the Bills (could you imagine Beckham in that offense?), the Chiefs (with Tyreek Hill gone, there’s receiver who commands extra attention), the Patriots (they were quietly in the hunt for him last year), and the Bengals (OBJ with Joe Burrow, Ja'Marr Chase, and Tee Higgins would be something to behold).

Typically, the Super Bowl winner has to worry about being raided for its free agents. It happened with Von Miller. It hasn’t happened with Beckham. It still could. Really, why isn’t one of the other NFC contenders eyeing Beckham not just for what he could do for them, but for what his absence would mean to the Rams?

Sure, they were fine without him after his injury in the Super Bowl. But he was the best offensive player on the field before the injury. That game wouldn’t have been as close as it was if Beckham had been there for the full 60 minutes, and Beckham would have been able to say not just that he won a Super Bowl without an ACL, but that he won the Super Bowl MVP award without one.
Sounds like marketing trying to build his value. Probably because the market has been off on him waiting to see how he recovers.

There is no doubt in my mind that he injured it in the super bowl. There is also information out there showing the Rams knew it was a problem and that he would need surgery after the season.

I don’t blame him for trying but, I don’t think this is factual.