The OBJ Free Agency Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend

$7M for a player not expected to play until the end of December? Bye Bye OBJ, he got his ring and now the greed sets in.

IMO the Rams would be better off putting that money towards a trade for an edge. Kupp, Robinson, Jefferson, Skowronek, Tutu, & Harris are just fine.

Snead should just call his bluff and say thanks but no thanks. The Rams have made more than one offer from what I hear, maxing out at about $5M (inclusive of incentives) for 2022. Each offer is said to be 3 year deal. The last one increased the guaranteed money. OBJ is too injury-prone and now he's going to be in his 30s. Who says he doesn't blow out his other knee? An edge like Hunter would do more for a legit SB run than OBJ.

Don't forget Jefferson was wide open at the back of the endzone on that last drive but Stafford couldn't hit him because of his elbow. Jefferson had a breakout year in 2021. If he builds on that he can really become the kind of receiver the Rams saw in him when they drafted him.

Put the no vacancy sign out for OBJ pointing back to Cleveland and get that splash edge. Look for the Hawks, Niners and Cards try to land OBJ.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Obj dreaming if he thinks anyone is paying him $7m. Maybe $1m and incentives to hit $7m.

Unfortunately he's damaged goods and teams aren't going to guarantee much to him.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So if we are at $5M and he wants $7M I’d just pay him. Yes, it’s a gamble. I think he’s lightning in a bottle. Sometimes you have to roll the dice. The upside outweighs the downside.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
So if we are at $5M and he wants $7M I’d just pay him. Yes, it’s a gamble. I think he’s lightning in a bottle. Sometimes you have to roll the dice. The upside outweighs the downside.
That’s a 40% increase, he’s not worth it.

dang

Legend
It should be incentive based so he could make $7m if he’s able to play in the last 7 regular season games + playoffs.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
He's not getting 7 million from anyone as he may not even be 100% recovered when he comes back. Seems like it takes players close to a year after they come back to get close to where they physically used to be pre-injury. Akers came back early and didn't do much and he was a rehabbing beast.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Does anyone really think $7M is some problem for the Rams. They print money just about ffs. They know what Odell can do.

This has to be about them making sure he's healthy and ready to go. It's about not trusting his knee. You don't sign a guy who had an unstable knee without knowing he's healthy, no matter how much you like him. You might be willing to sign him for peanuts if he wants to be locked up early. But if he wants some real cash then he's gonna need to show he's healthy. I think that's where they're at right now.

When is that window where he will be able to take/pass a physical. That is when things are going to heat up.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Does anyone really think $7M is some problem for the Rams. They print money just about ffs. They know what Odell can do.

This has to be about them making sure he's healthy and ready to go. It's about not trusting his knee. You don't sign a guy who had an unstable knee without knowing he's healthy, no matter how much you like him. You might be willing to sign him for peanuts if he wants to be locked up early. But if he wants some real cash then he's gonna need to show he's healthy. I think that's where they're at right now.

When is that window where he will be able to take/pass a physical. That is when things are going to heat up.
Still don't think he'll get 7 million for this year unless it heavily involves incentives. Smarter move from the Rams perspective is to sign him cheaper for this year and boost that salary for next year with some enticing incentives. I think thats where the back and forth proposals will be spent most of the time between the Rams and OBJ's agent.

oldnotdead

Legend
It's always about the guaranteed money. But there has to be a caveat in regards to his health. Part of that guaranteed money has to be tied to his health. The guy is in his 30s and injury-prone. The SB was a reality check. if you can't count on him when you need him most why are you paying him?

The Rams are deep at WR. Where they need to spend their money is on the D front. Lewis must prove he's a 3 down edge. Right now Lewis has shown he's a good rotational edge. He must take that next step and have a breakout year.

Last year OBJ said he would take a hometown discount to stay in LA. It's obvious that has changed. It puts OBJ crashing McVay's wedding in a whole new light. The offer has been on the table for a long time.

Greg Gaines is due for a huge raise next year. He has shown more than OBJ and is more important if you want to put things into perspective.

dang

Legend

It doesn’t help that we are at a point that we are all jonesing for a fix of some action. Hell I bet resigning Brian Quick would keep us going for a couple weeks.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
this scenario seems to be part of the reason for the Robinson signing. high talent, not recently injured and still hungry for a ring. robinson should have some good numbers across from Kupp this season. i mean there's always another option, like say ..........Cleveland , right OBJ ??

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
7M for OBJ if he earns that money via incentives is fine by me.

No way the Rams should give him that much otherwise. And I doubt any team will.

OBJ is coming off his 2nd ACL tear, in the same knee, in less than 2 years.

He's not old, but he is hardly a young receiver anymore.

Who knows what he will look like post injury, or even when he will play again. And taking some time to get up to speed is not ideal if OBJ only returns to action in November 2022 at the earliest.

Hopefully the Rams can bring OBJ back on a deal that is fair to both sides, and reflects the real risk he presents at this point, while also rewarding him for his contributions down the stretch, in the playoffs, and in the Super Bowl. No way the Rams win the Super Bowl without him.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Nobody is knocking obj's door down offering him a contract.

Teams like to see a player is still physically effective after suffering two acl injuries in two years.

The Rams won't be any different.

Obj will just have to wait.

I'm sure the Rams and OBJ stay in contact, keeping each other in the loop about his status and other things.

I think the fact that OBJ had been able to avail himself of Rams facilities (or at least he could, I dunno if the league would allow him as an unsigned player to use any team's facilities or training personnel) speaks volumes.

I think McVay knows that with Allen Robinson (BIG body, high pointer, sticky hands), Cooper Kupp (bigger than avg body, swiss army knife WR, sticky hands) and OBJ (speedy, sticky hands) that he'd have the best WR corps in the NFL and it wouldn't be close.

Rest assured, the Rams will STRETCH to sign OBJ and it wouldn't surprise me if OBJ does get any offers that are enough for him to consider, that the Rams will at least get an opportunity to match. We have rehabbed his image in a MAJOR way and don't think his agency team isn't 100% aware of that.

The only question now for OBJ is when and how well he comes back. This time last year, many league insiders thought he was done. So, even if it takes a bit into the season, I expect us to offer a pretty big offer with respect to later guarantees and whatnot. I'd be SHOCKED if OBJ weren't a Ram come December 1, 2022.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Personally, 7m for OBJ is an overpay for this season, no doubt. Factor in AT BEST he plays half the season. He's AT BEST 75% what he is healthy. That 7m is a prorated 14m (for a full season) for an older oft injured WR in a fairly stacked WR room. Loved him last year, but, that's a no from me dog. (in case they ask my opinion).

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Personally, 7m for OBJ is an overpay for this season, no doubt. Factor in AT BEST he plays half the season. He's AT BEST 75% what he is healthy. That 7m is a prorated 14m (for a full season) for an older oft injured WR in a fairly stacked WR room. Loved him last year, but, that's a no from me dog. (in case they ask my opinion).
The exception to this, for me, is building in higher-end incentives that could push him to that amount. The thing is that those “less likely” incentive bonuses get pushed to the NEXT cap year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Still don't think he'll get 7 million for this year unless it heavily involves incentives. Smarter move from the Rams perspective is to sign him cheaper for this year and boost that salary for next year with some enticing incentives. I think thats where the back and forth proposals will be spent most of the time between the Rams and OBJ's agent.
I have no idea one way or the other because this is a medical thing. I just don't think $7M is a lot to the Rams given what he's capable of if he's healthy. The question of who to cut if they sign him might be more difficult for them than working that figure in.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Love OBJ but I see why the Rams are waiting as long as they can. Why pay a half season WR $7M? I'd be surprised if anyone pays him before Sept. He has to impress on tape with his rehab to spike interest. He might not be what he was in the past after this surgery. It's definitely a gamble no matter who ends up signing him. I want him back but not at that price.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I have no idea one way or the other because this is a medical thing. I just don't think $7M is a lot to the Rams given what he's capable of if he's healthy. The question of who to cut if they sign him might be more difficult for them than working that figure in.
Yeah it's tricky either way but that's probably why it's taking so long. I'm guessing there's a lot of ideas being tossed back and forth about the contract between his agent and the Rams. I wouldn't be a fan of cutting someone to fit him on the roster but who knows what'll happen. Hope the Rams can work their salary cap magic.